Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

how old are you Slinkz out of interest?

Haven't completely got a handle on your background yet, but 3mins off 10k over 6months is a big aim if you've already been doing a fairly decent chunk of mileage for months?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

how old are you by the way Slinkz?

Just trying to get an overall handle on your background.

3mins off 10k over 6months sounds a pretty hefty target though,if you've already had a fair grounding of 35-40mile weeking for a while.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

damm RW...wiped my mail...and then once i'd tried to remember how i'd worded it posted the original anyway!image

• SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

So I'm 32, been running recreationally I suppose since 2007. I've done a few marathons, probably a dozen half's and similar 10k's over the 6 years....but never really got overly serious about getting the training nailed for any specific distance, hence why I've stumbled here for help and to gain some valuable knowledge from people who have been there/done that type folk.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Welcome slinkz. You asked about weight:10km.  I started training 2 yrs ago, my first 10k was 35.34, 12 months on from that i ran 32.59.  im 77kgs.  There is no reason why you can't hit all your goals. image

• SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

Dean, that's refreshing to hear - It seems like session choices/structured training hae been the main thing going amiss. Currently around 74/75kg's it's a struggle to get much lighter, as I mentioned before - I dropped to 70ish to get under 3hrs for my marathon but it left more more fatigued that I had nothing to give when attempting any speed work above MP tempo sessions 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

probably need to clarify height to weight....

Dean'll be a trim muscley tall version for that weight...

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Welcome Slinkz.

As SG says - weight to height ratio is a key factor, but I wouldn't get unduly hung up on weight of itself. If you train for a specific time correctly, and eat a sensible, balanced diet designed to meet your training needs, your weight will tend to reach a pretty stable point over time that is right for you.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Slinkz, I'm 5.11 & I am a different body shape to just about everyone at my club.  They are all classic runner build, wirey, thin.  I'm not.  nothing I can do about it.    I don't worry about my weight.  Get your training right and it won't matter. 

• Welcome aboard Slinkz. Once everything starts to come together the weight will drop off. 

I'm glad to hear from SG that I've just started training properly image 

0740 now in Helsinki and it is dark and unseasonably warm. 3deg or so. Brrr. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

image You are a different case in fairness Iron, as you're mixing 3 sports!

That "You haven't started training yet" line was one i'll always remember from a 30min 10k chap in about 06. Made me think, wow back then when I thought a casual 20odd miles was a fair amount.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Off for a  10 or so shortly. After the warm up it's 6miles continuously of  1/4mile HMP, 3/4miles Steady. Did originally think i'd do it on the track as it's technically meant to be 400/1200, but then I realised I'd have to wait until 6pm to do it, and it's 24+ laps which doesn't sound too lovely!

Feel a little under the weather, as befitting this time of year I've got a light sore throat, one of those annoying ones where you constantly have to make noises to clear it, nothing too major, but a reminder how this time of year on throws up extra challenges!

• SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

Early risers as well, I like the company in here already.

So 6'1 height and 74/75kg - so from the comments above i'll get a better grip on the training and the weight will either stay there or there abouts or it'll take care of itself - It's good to know there are other above the typical 65kg weight that can pull off respectable times in here.

Any good books or the like to get hold of to get some sort of idea of session plans or sensible progressions? I'm not thinking that a cut and copy training programme will be the answer but just wondered if anyone had any suggested reading as i'm travelling over to the Dam at the end of the week and could do with some literature.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Slinkz, don't get hung up on weight. You're in the 11:xx stone territory, which is fairly lightweight at 6ft 1 anyway!

65kg would be 10stone 2, which is pretty underweight for our height of 6ft1!

For my money, you need to work out your pace zones first of all, then long term get to a position where you do 1 long run, 1 tempo, 1 speedwork session a week, along with as much easy pace running as you can fit in. Everything with a reason, and everything to the correct pace.

The first few pages of this thread give some kind of idea, but obviously steaming straight in at 50+mile weeks isn't to be recommended.

• It will be interested to see how well you get on in the next few months/year Slinkz with your 10k goal , it should give the rest of us some idea whats possible with the right training image

Once you up the training the weight usually falls of anyway without having to worry about it.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

that was a fun run out.

Although I realised hitting HMP for a quarter of a mile is quite tricky, as I seemd to hit every pace but!

Split, and pace per mile in brackets
    1.32 (6.08)   up a bit of a hill, (suited my route!)
    1.22(5.28)    slight descent
    1.24(5.37)
    1.22 (5.28) coming to the boil and enjoying it
    1.21 (5.24)
    1.19 (5.18) in front of my work and milking it a bit.

I dare say it'll be easier to keep HMP when the sections become longer in due course. Otherwise it's a kind of panic where you overcompensate to make sure you hit it, then realise you're way too fast!

• SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

Stevie - Strong looking session, When my steady miles come in at 5:30's and under i'll be a happy man.

Leslie - Thanks, actually looking forward to some structure and seeing what is capable off reasonable mileage with proper session planning/progression.

Just reading through some early posts, it seems some folk may be local to where I am - which may be helpful as I'm looking into joining a local club to hopefully get some company on some of the interval/tempo sessions. I'm almost in Dorney, right near the lake... so Maidenhead/Burnham/WSEH are all local clubs within a few miles - any ones to avoid/join?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

slikz, just to clarify, that was the pace merely for the 1/4mile sections!

Noone on this thread has a steady pace of 5.30s, as that would probably mean that they were international class!!

Surely Datchet are your closest club? They're a powerhouse club at the moment, so you might not be in their top 50 or so runners, but you'd probably have plenty of competition as you progress.

Phil runs for them.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Depends what you're after I suppose.  I'd have thought Maidenhead was a decent choice - a handful of good runners (rather than the traditional Datchet phalanx).  And they run at Braywick Park, which is pretty close to Dorney.  WSEH might be a bit hardcore.

Burnham is probably closest, but you won't get taken seriously if you're in a club with 'Joggers' in the name.  Isn't that right SG? image

• I think we're all forgetting the important thing here, which is: which club has the most attractive vest?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Jogger is a pretty rubbish name in fairness, why a running club would pick that name I don't know. You do get some funny ones though, Sheen Shufflers etc.

Maidenhead were a bit of a powerhouse a few years ago, but these things work in cycles.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i do miss this vest in my pic here.

Red is nice, but not as nice as this one.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Going by the attractiveness of the vest rules out Burnham then, unless you like attracting moths.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I preferred my old hometown club vest that I used to run in in as a kid (as currently sported by Bluenose) to the current one, but it was a bit gaudy and 80s.

PhilPub's Kent vest is quite tasteful, unless you ruin it with a bright red pair of hotpants.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

white vests are rubbish, must be impossible to keep them looking clean.

• White vests ARE rubbish, because no-one looks good in white. I have had words with my club.

I have a new pair of neon pink hotpants though. That should improve matters a bit.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Bet you wish you never asked now Slinkz

• SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

Crucified! But appreciate the advice on the club front... Never thought of the Dashers, the thought of joining an elitest type bunch is a tad off putting but at the same time I dont really see the enthusiasm of being in a club of 'joggers' no offence intended as i'm sure there are plenty of solid runners in Burnham...

Is the general consensus that being a club runner is the way forward for progression or are a few of you unattached so to speak?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I know a "jogger" who is a 1hr 12 half man Slinkz, so i wouldn't judge completely on a club name.

Similarly, Datchet have plenty of runners of a more gentle standard.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

slinkz - in the recent national road relay championships out of best 72 teams 68 were titled Athletic club or Harriers.  so if you want to be good join a AC or a club called harriers.  not a hint of a club with jogger, striders, trotters, shufflers there. image