Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

what were the other 4?

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

also SG i think i made the same mistake slinkz did with your session, i thought it looked rapid, didnt realise it was 400m at that pace...still a good session though.

my club vest is white and its boring... though agree it is livened up when i rock a pair of neon hotpants.

• Near me there is a club called 'Huffers and Puffers'. Bet they're fast.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

running club, which i guess can be claimed as part of the trotters named crowd.

i was suprised at the number of Harriers.  about 30+.

ps..im bored image

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

I recently left a Harriers for a different set of Harriers. 

Much nicer vest image 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

that would have been an epic session for 6miles continuous!

There is an AC round these parts, but they're pretty much all teens and track based, so it wouldn't necessarily be a good fit  in your 30s. Although Phil didn't mind in his 50s!

Belgrave Harriers are probably the only Harriers in any locality i can think of. They're top notch though.

Slinkz, there's another thread you might like the look of. The Middle Ground thread. Whereas this thread is more centred around a smallish range, that thread has a lot more ages, a lot more theory, and a much wider range of current times.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I do quite like the idea of being a decent runner in an apparently sh!thouse sounding club though.

reminds me of footy tournaments where we'd enter our team name as a "C" or "D" to make the opposition think they were playing some kind of back up act.

And then we'd monster them.image

• SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

I'll give the Dashers a go and potentially Maidenhead AC - then see who generally are the more socialble and forthcoming with wanting new members etc.

I'll check out that thread as well - Cheers SG

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I don't think harriers is a particularly appropriate term for a serious running club.  Harriers hunt with slow, powerful wingbeats, or soar.  If you want a fast bird of prey, you need a falcon of some kind, or maybe a sparrowhawk.

Our club is Roadrunners, as opposed to Road Runners, so named after the bird.  It is almost a shame that there is not a Reading Coyotes club, who spend road races attempting to kill or capture us in convoluted ways that always end up backfiring spectacularly.

I am also bored.

• I'm bored too. What I think is that if you are not going to be an AC, you should be required to come up with an alliterative name. Harriers are only for places that begin with H. On that basis, I would join Datchet.

• SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

I'll go back to the judging by vest colours, I think that theory holds more water.

Wargrave runners have decent kit....

• SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

And they're from a village...

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

What about Chiltern Harriers SG? Club of "champions" of course image. Nice vest too - though apparently a bit itchy...

I like the Burnham Vest - would stop you getting run over!

Bearbrook changed there name from joggers to runners last year - caused quite a lot of debate I understand!

I like the idea of being in a club named after a motorway junction though!

4 miles for me at lunch as part of the taper, with middle 2 slightly quicker than MP, in 6:21 and 6:21. Felt comfortable, but bloody hamstring still giving me gyp! 

• SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

Bus - Whats the taper for out of interest? My half pace at the weekend was around that give or take a few seconds either side of 6:30's and managed to finish with a couple of 6:15's... but paid the price as feeling it may have been too much ahead of Amsterdam this coming weekend. We'll see, but impressive MP on your count.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

on the subject of Reading AC dachs, i saw that youngsters time at the weekend, 2nd fastest on the day in an event with some serious names in it..... he has a chance of being rather good. a low 8 for 3k & low 14 for 5k at 18/19yrs old.  interestingly his 800 isnt amazing for his age so he might as well charge straight to 5k.  funny how people like him never start "how can i run for GB" threads.   watch his name indeed!

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Herne Hill Harriers scores very well in this discussion.  Triple alliteration, and you get to run around looking like Dennis the Menace.  Best club vest ever.  (Not very near Berkshire though.)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, for many reasons I never fancied Handy Cross, Not sure if they are technically joggers or runners either. I still have visions of turning up for one of their efforts sessions at about 6.45, and it taking until 7.30 for them to bother getting going

Chiltern is probably too far out for Slinky. Probably not far off Datchet for quality though

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dean - true. He doesn't need to start those threafs though, as he's already doing it. 

If we were Road Runners, rather than Roadrunners, we'd also get triple alliteration. Crap vest though.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i wonder how much it costs to set up as a UKA affiliated club.

we could put some tasty teams out from this thread.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

But what would the name be?

In my far off fishing days there was a guy who thought he was the best angler in the club and went so far to have a fishing rod custom built.

Rather than having just his name painted on it, he had the rod builder put 'Mack the Crack's Wanker Spanker' instead.

The rod builder left his name off that one.

Just an idea.

🙂

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

We'd have a pretty paltry women's section. No offence, Lit.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

they'd soon turn up when we started hoovering up riches on the local scene image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

By riches, do you mean Sweatshop vouchers?

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

No, he said local scene.  I'm assuming Alton Sports.  image

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

SG, a lad who I know set up his own club last year. Barnoldswick fell runners. He's  slowly putting together a strong set of runners for the fell relays next year.  there's a couple of 32 min 10k lads and a couple of 33 min lads running for them. 

• We'd have to headhunt some women off the sub-3:15 thread. We could entice them with a really nice vest.

• SG does it for Engerland!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Bloody, buggery bollox! Not only did my very long (and highly entertaining image) post just disappear into cyberspace, but along comes Philip to ruin my evening with talk of football image

Anyway - as I was saying.....

• Nice alliteration there, Bus. image

• Funnily enough, I saw some lads at the weekend wearing the Reading AC vest and remembered thinking... "They look cool." So that gets my vote. The vest is cool.

Did a tempo track session 10mins (5:45 avg), 5 min (5:34 avg) 5mins (5:32 avg) then 5 mins (5:20 avg). As it was round the track I dare say those average paces are a bit exaggerated as the GPS tends to come out a tiny bit quick round the track. But still a good session. Dropped the hammer the last rep! 9.9 miles with WU and WD.