Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks Lit - glad to see my efforts are appreciated image

... Slinkz, taper is for Abingdon this weekend. 6:21 was a bit too quick as the target is 6:28 (though that is probably a bit more hopeful than realistic at the moment). Dachs is also in the midst of taper madness for Abo.

As for clubs, Matt - BPR will be popular with fast fell runners, as they tend to be an autarchical and contrary bunch in my experience image

Dachs - I like the RRR vest - not only green, but nicely undestated.

SG - what about UKA affiliation for team MTSG - after all, we are already on a 100% winning streak image

Nice reps Stevie!

• Options
    .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭
    Club vests, Don't even get me started. My club no longer prints the club name on the vest so we could be Rugby Ramblers for all anyone knows. I've asked why several times but the committee has not reponded. Poor showing if you ask me.

Come on Stevie if your going to do tempo on track might as well used it to get the pacing right! then just run 7 or 3 1/2 laps at your set pace (say 86s). giving you a 10:02 and 5:01 target anyway.

Looks like you did struggle with a constant pace on them 1/4mile reps SG, Don't you normally do 5mins on/off? Its bound to take a minute to settle the pace.

Dachs - I don't think it necessarily went right for me on Sunday, just general training improvements showing through now I've got a few thousand miles in the legs.

Tried a recovery run today, didn't go well, after 3 miles the legs were mangled, like bad D.O.M.S but worse. Going down stairs is not pleasant. Pain mainly confined to outside of both quad muscles/ITB area. No racing this weekend by the looks of things. Off on holiday Sunday evening anyway, on a boat so big it has a running track round the outside of one deck, maybe even a whole 400m!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

yep, in fairness the session was called Rhythm reps, which should have given me a clue. Rather than "progressively do each section faster and end at 5k pace". Whoops. oh well.

12miles easy in 30mins, and then the "carrot" of in effect a 2 day rest window until Friday.

Phil, that's the "Other" SG. The less well known one image

Stevie, you have to be careful with taking those readings. Not sure what else you'd do though, as 10mins, 5mins might end you at .33 of a lap or something. Look some good paces! And you're developing the hardness to do multiple laps at pace!

Seb, don't worry, I think it would have been a hard ask to match your last week's fare. I've pbd 10k then half, and run 2x10milers on consecutive weekends, but I think a half is a different animal, especially with the effort you described.

One of the many things the M man does excellently with his training, is keeping it fresh. So even 3 1/2years in, I'm still getting completely brand new sessions like Tuesday. After a couple of MP runs, Tuesday, and what's coming this Friday I'll probably have a decent crack at that 45min MP/HMP if it comes up soon. Which I wouldn't have fancied contemplating 3-4 weeks back.

Bus, you rest easy this last few days. and team MTSG is the obvious choice of team! Like you say we've won an incredibly sought after event already!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

(not that it needs clarification, but that was 12miles easy to START in 30mins....and not not already run In 30mins...i'm not Samir Edgington image )

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Once had to come up with a team name for a relay, and my team went down as BAMAS.

The speculation about the source of this acronym ranged far and wide but was generally thought to mean Boys and Men something something.

Nowhere near.

It was in fact in honour of a guy in the club who was not only one of the slowest runners, but also unusually mild mannered. However, following the occasion where his missus pushed off with another guy, he surprised all concerned when on the first occasion he came across the bloke; in a pub, he strolled over and laid out the offender with a right cross.

So BAMAS was actually the, 'Brawling A... M... Appreciation Society'

🙂

• Options

Slinkz, the choice of club depends a lot on exactly what you want out of it. Dashers do have a rather silly white vest which dos not look good with either mud splashes or nipple rash streaks.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-j1J4UtQMfVM/Ul4xnQ9n2OI/AAAAAAAAAXE/zkA8y6pwEBw/s604/1375062_10153331754275508_1456473593_n.jpg

When I was younger I did a lot of club sessions so proximity was important. I now have not got the spare time in the evenings to do Tuesday and Thursday sessions so do the vast majority of my training on my own so for me the club comes into play on race day and then proximity is not so much of an issue.

I'd also point out that you are not limited to one club so can join multiple clubs but only one is your first claim club and that is an important distinction. A lot on this thread have first and second claim clubs where the first claim is the serious one and second more local and friendly.

• Options
    SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

Phil - Thanks, I have dropped an email over to the Dashers and mentioned I may be coming along to their Tuesday session next week as this one seems to be the more coached/structured as from what I can make out from the website the Thursday is generally a run out locally from the clubhouse.

I've been a member at WSEH back in 2011 but to be honest the age gap within the club was huge and I was at least 12years above the average age at the time which was around 15 - They do have a lot of punchy youngsters though.

Keen to get linked to a club and Datchet/MAC seem to be the ones whose sessions days/times suit within my work schedule at the moment. I suppose once meeting a few local Windsor based runners then seperate sessions can develop as well - which is basically what I'm after. So a social/welcoming club that is after an average runner wanting to progress gets my £40 or however much it is.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Phil, is there anything you don't lift from facebook?

And who else on this thread has a second claim club out of interest?

12 done earlier, narrowly sub 7 pace, felt fine.

Probably a good job i'm not in Dachs' office, as i'm now sneezing like a right bastad.

Couple of days until the next run, so i'll switch down my monk style lifestyle to Monk leader lifestyle and that should sort it

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

First claim club serious, my second claim club merely incompetent.

However, they do have a yellow vest.

Here's an old example covered in the tedious shit course of Datchet TVXC.

I'd just had an almighty sprint for the line and blown up a few yards out. My wife thought I might like a record of the occasion. But only to demonstrate the washing she has the machine do on her behalf.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/mud1.png

🙂

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Day 2 of sickbed here. Probably well enough to be at work but belt and braces job trying to knock it on the head for good. Better this week than next I guess.

Welcome Slinkz. Ex Maidenhead resident here although I opted to run for Marlow as they served Rebellion in the bar post run. Good luck in Dam - if conditions are good, it's a quick course. I'll be there on Sunday but only running the half.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

are you doing it as a MP  job Johnas?  Otherwise quite close to your last flat out half? Though i could be wrong on that as time does roll quickly!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Couldn't resist snapping this off the telly.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/jon.png

Close.

🙂

• Options

And who else on this thread has a second claim club out of interest?

Well I have and that counts for a lot, ricF has (or had), UG had a few clubs on the go while he was on the thread. Maybe it gets more attractive as you get older and need a vets affiliation as well as a normal one, or a track club and a road club.

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Probably do 3km warm up, 15km MP, 3km cool down or something of that design. I'm really only going for post run beers (theme appearing here hmmm)

And thanks Ric. Cue 'pussy' jokes....
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

presume the kms are because they map it out in KM over in Holland?

That'd throw you off if you weren't aware before you went there!

I always find those races that have 2 distances at one a bit odd, where you get km and miles for a certain stretch,

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Yes km in Europe and also because I've been training in km for last few weeks to get ready for Frankfurt - one less thing to worry about on race day.
  • Options
    SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

I've heard good things about the course for Amsterdam and entered earlier in the year, not sure what to target time wise as the training has been far from perfect but consistent to some extent... hence why I jumped in this thread to start to get an idea of  how to start from scratch and build speed from 10k upwards, so the marathon at the weekend will be what it'l be and most of the focus will also be on post run beers.

• Options

bus: the target is 6:28 that is 2:50 pace, I thought it was all guns out to go sub 3 or die. Has this been revised after a few good runs recently?

Slinkz, one thing with e marathon is that if you play things sensibly you don't have to have too definite a target. Say you do the first half in 90 minutes, if you feel good you can push on for a second half in 85 for a 2:55 or ease back to a 3:05. The trick is not to do an 85 and find you have nothing left for the second half. Having said that, you can also play a dangerous game and target a halfway split that is on the margins of plausibility and then if all works out well you are good and done, else you died trying. I expect that will be my target for VLM next year: My A target is 2:48:59 so I need splits of 85 and 85 but if I blow up by B target is GFA which is 3:15

• Options

Don't mean to disrupt your thread (I love following it, daily reading and very motivational.. keep up the good work!!) I just wanted to interject something.. How do you guys keep going?!

I had a summer goal of running a sub40 10km, and managed that on the 6th of October (39:41), taking it down from running a 41:42 10km at the end of June. I trained pretty hard to get under 40 and pushed it in the race, so I would anticipate being a bit wrecked after it. But ever since I've been totally wacked. I know it's all relative, and you guys are a lot fitter (but I don't feel like I'm necessarily worlds away, being a girl!). My training since has included a lot of low intensity training (a lot of 1h easy runs, and 3 x 20km LSR) because I just don't feel like I've got anything in my legs for speedwork. But then I feel lazy when I read this thread because you guys continually bang out much more impressive performances, week after week!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

hi scottish - its difficult to tell without you posting your training but maybe you are knackered from too much easy running.  or you are running the easy pace too fast. or you just need time off to recharge.   i treat the speedwork as king, meaning all my other training is about fitting in around the speed sessions.  in the summer i had to drastically reduce my easy running as it had an effect on my 800m races. 

so my advice if you are finding it too difficult to get your speedwork in is to rip up your training plan, put on speedwork twice a week then add the easy / lsr (probably at reduced volume/pace initially) to complement it.  rather than trying to shoehorn in the speed.  congrats on getting under 40 image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

welcome Scottish, Lit said the other day we needed more women on the thread. Well, maybe I made that the sentiment is true.

Like Dean says, could be down to all reasons. I rememeber the first time i tried doubles, just 4milers at 7am and 7pm, after 4 days I was massively fatigued! So much so, that the Sunday after 2 days complete rest I put in an underpar 5mile race!

• Options

ScottishRunner10, one of the big things is to ensure you have variation. Doing the same thing day in, day out, will always end up with you feeling tired of it and tired in yourself.

Certainly if you can go sub 40 for 10k you have the legs for speed. Speedwork is not necessarily then 10k at 4 minutes per km but it is maybe 1000m reps at 3:30 or 3:45.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps Scottish, i'd perhaps describe the mentality on this thread via this conversation i just had with someone at work..

I've done 36miles Mon to Wed this weekl including a 12miler at 7am this morn. I'm sniffing like an absolute dog at the minute, with a hooter as red as the vest I run in for my club (ps not the one in my pic!).

When some random office woman asked about it, i said don't worry, I don't have to run until Friday now.

She pointed out how sad this was, immediately linking it to training. ( i think she meant heroically dedicated)

That's the mentality of this thread. image

• Options
    SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

Stevie - I like the cut if your jib sir.

Phil - Thanks for the advice, If I can duck under 3 i'd be happy as its been a very sketchy build up and have missed out on a few of the longer tempo runs due to shed loads of work and an ocassionally grumbly Achilles... excuse aside I managed a fairly comfy 1.24 at Oxford at the weekend just gone in shabby conditions and finished with miles 12 and 13 coming in at 6:15's... so there maybe hope for Amsterdam but think i'll go with your suggestion, get in halfway at 1:30 and then shit or bust for the 2nd half... Whats the worst that could happen.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I don't believe it - just lost another long post!

right, now gonna take Ric's advice and write it again on word image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

what on earth are you doing son?

Just back screen and it'll be there still!

other tip is to be nice and concise...erm like me imageimageimage

ps have the RW boobs messed up the messages....I went into my PMs and they start in reverse order now, and I can't scroll to the most recent!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Right, try again (again)!

Firstly, welcome Scottish, and congratulations on the sub 40 – a major milestone to crack. As others have said, there could be lots of reasons for post race fatigue. One thing to think about though is quality (and quantity!) of diet, especially at this time of year, when an underlying virus can sap your energy levels. Doubly important to make sure your immune system gets everything it needs, and especially iron and zinc for a woman.

Slinkz – a 1:24 at Oxford should translate to a sub 3 at Amsterdam. A general rule of thumb is double the half plus 10 mins, so you have a 2 min buffer (plus any time lost to wind and rain at Oxford!).

Philip – I’ve changed  to a 2:55 estimate on the Abo thread after some reasonable training results. That said, I’m still going to set off targeting 2:50 (my original aim before the tendon/hamstring problem) and see what happens. Risky strategy perhaps, but hey ho – as that famous trotter Del  says, he who dares wins image

• Options

Slinkz, beware there is marathon advice and practice. My most recent two were 1:26 and 1:31 for 2:57 (half PB was 82) and a much better 1:24 1:26 for 2:50 (half PB was 80).  I'd say that most everyone will die in  the second half so for sub 3 you need something like 89 and 91 or 88 and 92. If sub 3 is definitely a target then I'd want to be at about 1:28 at halfway. The take it easy and see how it goes is for those without a definite target.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Scotty Scotty...we've met before on the forums haven't we....

You posted that you were doing 4 quality sessions a week, high mileage, and fasting before runs!?

I think anyone would be knackered on that schedule....

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Phil, you big scaredy-cat...Bus has basically just promised x2 to your half marathon +10mins, so i'm off to do a 2:41/2 ish marathon now...

unless he meant that you have to properly train up for the distance too?