Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Busy tonight...  Good to see Bluenose popping back in, and hello to Velloo.

SG, in answer to your earlier question of what's going through the mind in the last few days pre-marathon, it is the usual pre-race excitement x 5, but obsession about (a) the weather, (b) the pace and (c) the carbs.  Worrying about (a) and (b), and fascinated by (c), because I never look at food ingredients, and it's a fascinating world.

• Cheers Dachs... And thanks for the comment about my running vest, I think yours looks nice too... If not nicer image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Damn right on a and b Dachs, but c would be niggles and avoiding people with the lergy! Does your reading reveal whether tonights kievs, chips and beans washed down with a couple of bottles of Broadside has the requisite number of carbs though image

(I did have a bowl of rice as a starter mind, but tomorrow will be full-on proper carb loading...)

• Cheers guys! VDOT calculators brilliant - more stuff to put fantasy times into!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

since the 12miler on Wed morn, i'd rushed through some coldy type symptoms, throaty to sneezy, cold sweats etc. Luckily nicely coincided with rest day Thursday.

Therefore today, with just a vague cough and slight chestiness it was time for a 4x200m, 4m MP, 4x200m session.

Obviously not 100% feeling fine, but good enough to get it done.

Couldn't get to the track for the 200s so just did them on the road, meaning they came out a little unbalanced, and the maths was all over the place.

39.36,37,36 as they were meant to be 5k pace.

I vaguely thought, shouldn't these be 35s, but thinking about it now, that would be 1500k pace,so was probably fine where i was.

1min recovery then into the MP.

Realised very early i'd forgotten to change the garmin off km, and off 0.2km recorded splits, so thought i can either try and work out how many km 4miles is and the even harder job of trying to work out if i was hitting 6min miling pace, or just try and change the GPS on the run. Luckily, that was easy enough and we were back on miles, but i left the now 0.12m splits on.

Therefore, no splits, but 23.56 for 4miles, so 5.59 pace.Happy with that after the last couple of days under the weathery.

4x200 to finish, 34,38,38,36.

All over the place, but not exactly like for like 200metre sections!

Lovely. so much better getting quality done in the morning, then having to face it after a day of work in the dark on a lonely track!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

What, intervals, tempo and mental maths, all before breakfast?! image

3 miles easy at lunchtime for me, maybe including 2 x 0.5M MP (in between eating!)

• I think someone needs to be introduced to the magic of the pre-programmed 'advanced workout' feature of his Garmin.

I liked the VDOT calculator too - it predicted much slower and therefore (for me) more plausible times for 5k and 10k from longer race times, whereas McMillan just tries to make me feel crap and slow on purpose.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Bus, you running again after today?  Have you got a 15 mile trail race planned for tomorrow, or maybe a flat out parkrun?

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

image Both, with the parkrun in the middle!

Might do 2 VERY easy miles tomorrow. It's my son's birthday on Monday, and his party is tomorrow, so we've got 8 10 year old boys here for the day! Just trying to work out how I can cope with that AND rest image

• A game of 'sleeping lions'?

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good idea, but can't think how to fit it in to the Hobbit theme. Maybe, sleeping trolls?

My master stroke though is that they will be watching the film - so that uses up most of the day and I can go for a snooze image

• Sleeping orcs. Sorted.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Yeah, but I bet they will all want to be hobbitses, dwarves or elves not orcs....

Still,  I do a good Gollum impression 

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Bus, hire a magician to run the party, and just go and lie down.

Failing that, fill up the birthday cake with some really top quality Moroccan resin.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Mrs is baking the cake now - where can I get some in a hurry image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Sorry, I don't have any of those particular contacts anymore.  Maybe a trip to Slough?

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

I can't help you either Bus - I'm not in amsterdam until tomorrow

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Slough? My Mrs was born in Slough - wonder if she still knows anyone!

Perhaps I can send the boys to Amsterdam with you johnas - that would solve everything image

• SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

Afternoon all, shortly heading be heading off to Amsterdam - won't give you a drawn out stride by stride summary but will let you know how it all goes/falls apart when i'm back on Monday.

Johnas - Good luck, enjoy the half. May see you for beers if you end up anywhere near the Hole in the Wall... apparently its a decent pub popular after the half/marathon.

Bus - Have fun in Oxford, mind the lightning

Anyone else running/racing/eating/resting - Good luck also.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good luck Slinkz - hope the travelling and race go wll. Looking forward to the report.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Cheers Slinkz. Won't see you at the Hole in the Wall - it's tourist central around there with the prices to match so I avoid like the plague but it is traditional for the RW crew to meet there. best of luck though - weather looking more favourable now. if you can, get yourself into a good group for when you hit the Amstel River as it can be windy down there and tucking in for protection is a good tacticimage

• Probably best to send out well wishes for the upcoming racers now. Slinkz, Johnas, bus, you have all done the work, now don't be shit.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks Philip - will try not to be! (that's more than can be said about the weather - Dachs, don't even look at the Netweather one image)

Good luck at Cabbage Patch too. Remember your unbroken sub hour record is at stake!

Who else is racing, I can only remember:

Johnas - Dam Half

Slinkz - Dam full

Philip - CP

Me and Dachs - Abo

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Might have a go at the Watford Chiltern league myself.

MT course so the racing flats could be the order of the day.

🙂

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Phil - should I be shit then?

• I think Phil was tactfully indicating that he doesn't think you've 'done all the work', Dachs. image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Fair enough.  I have neglected my core work.

• Defiantly felt a little fresher today after pulling back on the recovery run yesterday (even though we've established I still need to pull back a little more)

Bit of a funny one this afternoon... had wanted it to be a bit of a tempo but was running with some friends (well, two of my friend's boyfriends to be precise... keeping them in check!!image so wasn't sure what the pace would be although they're both reasonable runners.

Ended up doing 5km warm up on my own at 7.54/m. Then a 10km 'tempo' I suppose. Average pace was 6.56/mile. KM splits were all over the place (4:53, 4:25, 3:52, 4:14, 4:29, 5:16, 4:12, 3:56, 3:54, 4:00).. I'll blame this on two things: 1. the boys were a bit slow - I dropped them after 5km and my splits are much more tempo-pace after that! And we were running round Arthur Seat - if anyone knows Edinburgh, it's quite hilly... do you guys do excuses on this thread? Thought not. Both Mcmillian and VDOT calculators (thanks for those links by the way) put this as not fast enough for tempo, but my av HR was also 90% of max, so was maybe not too bad after all. 4km cool down, and done.

Go on... let the slating begin image

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend! Thank god I'm not!!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Scottishrunner - we definitely do excuses on this thread.  I've already got some ready two days ahead of time.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Oh yes, we have taken excuses to an almost professional level on this thread before now image