• IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Is it light at 6am still?

no.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

It's not light at 6pm but it doesn't stop you from runningimage 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Some cracking racing; well done guys.

Some epic training runs too SG & PMJ. I have an easy 10mi tomorrow; even with flexi it's a tad long for lunch, which gives the option of a 6am start to be back in time to sort the kids for school.

Iron, i'm afraid this comes down to the question we all ask outself every day.

Do you want it enough.

If you do, you'll find a way.

• Well done on the relays guys – sounds like some quality racing.

Some excellent long runs going on as well by Stevie G and Philip, and Matt (is that for the tour of Pendle then?). Stevie See – a good block of seven weeks under the belt is always going to make you strong!

Got back from the Lakes yesterday and finished my week with a steady 5.5M xc to Hughenden in the fading light this afternoon after a day of catching up with jobs around the house (including clearing up the results of last week’s storm!)

A fairly low mileage week of just 31M but with 8500ft of climbing (plus another 8000 or so walking with the family) the post marathon legs have had a good test. Hamstrings are still an issue, and a little bit of groin strain, but otherwise it all seems to be holding up. I missed Marlow Half today for the first time since my son was born in 2003! (seems like it was the best conditions for a while too!)

Looking forward (?) to a bit of speed-work this week to try and get the legs moving for a couple of 10ks before Christmas. Might also do some of the cross country league races if you fancy having me along as a guest sometime SG and Philip?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

welcome back old son! (and reply to one of the mails I've sent you via PM, text and fb!)

Unless Marlow changed much in the 70mins to the start of the race from when I ran through, it was a little windy, with even the sun coming out a bit! Ideal conditions for this time of year for that event!

And of course to the guest thing. Not sure if Phil's club only allow him to bring 1 guest to just 1 race all series, but our lot don't have any rules, so either way is easy.

• SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

Opening the account again properly after some unstructured running post Amsterdam, just chiming in to get some idea of sensible weekly mileage to start off with - last 2 weeks have been easy paced 20-25 and pre Amsterdam was averaging 35. 

Now looking to,up the ante and realise that 50-60mpw is a decent base to get to in time but with previous volume over last few months what would people suggest as a starting block? I figure progression will be the 10% rule week on week as well give or take when fatigue/injuries appear close.

• Good race Tim, good result too.

Fully recovered then Bus? If PMJ and SG get short on XC places then I'm sure Coasters will have you for at least one event.

mattl wrote (see)

It's not light at 6pm but it doesn't stop you from runningimage 

Stevie G . wrote (see)

Some cracking racing; well done guys.

Some epic training runs too SG & PMJ. I have an easy 10mi tomorrow; even with flexi it's a tad long for lunch, which gives the option of a 6am start to be back in time to sort the kids for school.

Iron, i'm afraid this comes down to the question we all ask outself every day.

Do you want it enough.

If you do, you'll find a way.

Absolutely! I spent winter 2011/12 running at stupid o-clock to fit other silly training in, so I know I can do it.

I had a nice off-road route planned. A 6am start is not conjucive to that route as my lightweight headtorch is out of batteries and I don't want to use the big chunky one. I can always stitch together a couple of local loops to provide an on-road run.

Slinkz I think Pfitzinger advocates adding 1 mile per running day, then holding for 3 weeks or so. Add the mileage on to the long run first. Don't increase volume and intensity in the same week.

• bus, can certainly accomodate one guest for one race but as others say, we can find spaces. All events are listed on http://www.tvxc.org.uk  I plan to do all of them in 2013 at least for a start, have not yet sorted out 2014.

Also, Bucks XC champs, Jan 4th 2014, http://www.bucksaa.org.uk/entry/xc2014information.pdf Entry by 22nd December.

• Not totally iron, but getting there.

Sorry SG - mobile was switched off until yesterday image Have sent you a PM....

Slinkz - ditto Iron about increasing intensity and volume at the same time. In your shoes, I would jump back to 35mpw now, then build by about 10%, with a cut back every 3rd week back to about 10% less (if that makes sense!). Not sure I'd add the mileage to the long run though, after marathon training, but sprea it across the other sessions. 

• Hadn't considered the 'coming from mara' part of the equation Bus! image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

no worries Bus! Thought so, makes sense!

I still don't quite understand you marathon people.

On some of these runs I've been doing recently, I've thought, hmm this is comfy, could I do a marathon?

Then I finish a 16miler, and think, it's another 10.2miles, and at a harder pace.

Hmm...

• SG, marathons are a totally different game to other distances. If you mess up a half, you limp in a few minutes down. If you mess up a marathon you can be whole chunk down (and ultras are another game beyond that: mess them up and you get the calendar out, not the stopwatch). Having said that, if you do the training and get in the long runs, then they play fair. You don't run a marathon having done 16 as you longest run, you build up training so if you do 16 one week, then you do 17 the next, and build up. The oddest thing is that you only ever race marathons: if you train for a 10k you do a lot of 10ks in training, but the 26.2 is a thing you keep until race day and somehow, magically, it all comes together.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

You've nearly sold it to me there Phil  image 

my favourite distance to race is definitely 10k but after spending the first 3 months of the year targeting a pb which I got, then pissing around with the 3 peaks I then thought targeting 5ks and hopefully using that to dip under 33 mins before the years out was a possibility. injury and Ben Nevis nearly crippled me and now hoping to finish the year strongly.  Can't really complain when I've hit my main couple of targets for the year but I suppose we're never satisfied when running. 

i think after this years out I may target a Half marathon and see what I can manage although I get the feeling that if I was to post a time I was pleased with then it'd draw me closer to wanting to do a marathon again. 

• Matt - given the time you did in the Y3P, a marathon would not be a problem!

As Philip says, it's all about building the long runs up until 26 becomes less intimidating! It's the recovery time that always shocks me rather than the race distance!

As for training for the distance, a guy I know focussed on running races at 6 minute mile pace, but building the distance he could maintain it until he did a 2:37 marathon. His advice to me was to run the full distance at least twice in training image Mind you, that was back in the 80's and such methods are most definitely frowned upon these days image 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

just randomly, Ric old son where are you?

And no I'm not just asking because someone mentioned the 80s.

Luvsa, you dead mun?

• .Seb wrote (see)
    What team are you Bob? I though Stevie was on leg 3 also, so when the 3rd leg Vale athlete came round and it wasn't him, I thought maybe Vale wasn't the distinctive 'clown' vest as I call it. But sure enough on leg 4 Stevie appeared so I could shout some encouragement. Tried to get a picture but you were too fast and overtaking people! 

I wanted leg 1 for a change and it was very entertaining. The course is not wide at all as it winds through the woods, often turning sharply and gently undulating up and down,so a swift start was in order, you really had to fight for it first mile or so. 
    The going was fairly soft but not really boggy by any means. First lap was about 8:25 for me, then just settled in, it felt really hard, doesn't it always! Fair gusts of wind knocked us back a touch on the exposed section, brought it home in 17:28 for a 9:03 2nd lap. Not a bad outing, bit fast and short. Everyone's times were down on last year, will have to compare to other runners when the Po10 results are up. 

Phenomenal effort, Seb. Well done. Holme Pierrepont's my club. Quicker to scroll up from the bottom to find my / our (C Team's) result! To be honest even if I'd been fit enough to do myself justice, say sub-22, rather than the 23 I did manage, it would only have saved me a handful of places. The standard was scorchio for a 'veteran novice' like me. Gives me a soft target to take a big chunk off next year though.

See if you can find yourself in the below, fellas!

http://www.eightlane.org/videos/national-xc-relays/

• Some nice training runs over the weekend there lads. 

XC was... Fun... I think. I haven't quite decided yet!! The course was 1 and a half laps of a playing field and after the first lap I did think to myself... shaft this, I'm changing to 800m. I could be finished now. second half took us down into a fairly muddy and slippy section, was glad to have put the 12mm spikes on instead of the 9. 2 laps of this with an absolute killer hill back up to the playing fields. Sat on the shoulder of the girl in 3rd for the whole course, then kicked with about 400m to go to come home and take the medal. Was so excited to win my first ever medal that I forgot to save my run on my garmin!!! The OCD In me is going mad! Think I came home in about 26min (3.8miles) but waiting for official results.

in hindsight, I think I could of gone a bit harder really, but in the same respect, it was my first xc, I got the medal, and the girls finishing in 1st & 2nd were a country mile ahead of us anyway! 

Few glassses of wine to celebrate after and a bit of a fuzzy head for today's easy one!!

• The Bus wrote (see)
    As for training for the distance, a guy I know focussed on running races at 6 minute mile pace, but building the distance he could maintain it until he did a 2:37 marathon. His advice to me was to run the full distance at least twice in training image Mind you, that was back in the 80's and such methods are most definitely frowned upon these days image 

I did that in the early 90's and got me my first sub 3 that way: mind you I was at 20 in a shade over 2 hours so it was a walk of death over those last 6.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

SS- i think a complete change with marathon training would help you unlock some of those short distances.

Seb, SS & bob - good work at the relays, after finishing 2nd in the midlands xc we were planning on putting a team into to try and place high but didnt get any of  the top lads out. sounds like you all had some fun and good results

Seb - congrats on the proposal. i particularly liked SG reply which was the same if being asked to run a marathon which was " well its some peoples idea of happiness but it sounds like a nightmare to me" image

Scottish - well run, a medal first race on XC.  congrats

Tim - another good race mate, its coming along nicely.  i think 2014 is going to be kind to you

i think that was everything as everyone else had tasty looking long runs.

i find myself in no mans land at the moment. easy running is slow and can only seem to get to recovery pace.  Track intervals are off. im not going to race until i feel i have some bounce so birmingham league isnt happening for me on sat.  Leeds abbey is defn out.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Computer has been out of action since my last post and only was sorted yesterday, so well done on any results anyone has had.

Nothing much from me to report. Intermitent sore ankle which recovers so long as I run easy and not more than 9.18 miles. That was yesterdays 'I'm still here' point. Once again, a XC race has set something off.

Haven't had to stop running which means my running streak is now (sorry Rob) 197 days since a rest day. Mind you, jogging about on half mileage almost counts as rest compared to the summers efforts.

🙂

• Hope the mojo returns soon Dean. Nothing seems to get in the way of your stride Ric.  Cracking race Scottish. 

Easy 16km or 10mi at lunch. Was too dark, wet and cold at 6am. 1:22 in using roads,  styles and mincing around a field with a bull in it. 

Probably my last off road run in the area as we move Friday.  

• Well done Scottish!

Moving anywhere nice Iron?

No run today. Legs felt very heavy, and I feel like I might be going down with something. Need to keep an eye on it though, as I picked up a tick on Saturday - 3rd one this year.

• The Bus wrote (see)

Moving anywhere nice Iron?

Not reallyimage

New build at what used to be RAF Bracknell. The past few weeks have been worry over if it would be finished in time; we were supposed to be in before half-term!

Take it easy.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Do you mean a 'tic' Bus?

By far the most repulsive insect there is.

Managed to avoid them so far despite being bare legged the entire summer. Soaking myself in insect repellent may be one reason.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Hope the mojo returns soon Dean. Nothing seems to get in the way of your stride Ric.  Cracking race Scottish. 

Easy 16km or 10mi at lunch. Was too dark, wet and cold at 6am. 1:22 in using roads,  styles and mincing around a field with a bull in it. 

Probably my last off road run in the area as we move Friday.  

Made me chuckle.

There's this route in Marlow where there are load of cows, and gates separating each field. 

As each gate is about 2metres wide, you bloody hope the great oafs aren't hanging around near it. You certainly hope no idiot is walking through with a dog off the leash. And you bloody certainly hope some idiot hasn't got the leash off the dog, with any calves around....

My nearest run in, was on some other stretch, where there's this narrow path hill. Tonnes of cows were loitering, so I either had the choice of sneaking through them, being about 20cm away from each cow, or  scaling what has to be the steepest hill in the county. It is about 1/4mile high but a gradient that makes the steepest hill on the local half marathons look down hill.

Therefore, I took the "try and sneak through" option from behind.

Until a couple of cows started stampeding....and I sprinted off and literally had to scale this hill with hands and feet.

• Is it time for this video of walkers trapped by bulls again?

Well done to all the xc runners, especially Scottish Runner for the medal! Meanwhile I did a random 7 mile race as a tempo run and may have won something for being 5th lady even though I was actually only 8th. If so, I expect it'll be a voucher for a sports shop I will never manage to go to in Loughborough.

• Seems there was quite some fun after Marlow Half with team prizes. Any insight SG?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Scottish...what Lit said. sorry was too busy regailing the cow scenarios...although I missed the one where we bizarrely arrived to find a big pack of cows in the woods!

When our run leader tried to do some.."cow whispering". Which worked for about 1min, before they got spooked, and we ended up sprinting for dear life and having to hurdle a fence...to survive!

Phil,  now I'm not a member I don't have to be political, so it just looks like a major screw up. Either from Chiltern's lot not entering their team names, or the new website not picking them up.

I've heard Chiltern are notorious for these kind of complaints....so let's sit back and see what happens...

• literatin wrote (see)

Is it time for this video of walkers trapped by bulls again?

Well done to all the xc runners, especially Scottish Runner for the medal! Meanwhile I did a random 7 mile race as a tempo run and may have won something for being 5th lady even though I was actually only 8th. If so, I expect it'll be a voucher for a sports shop I will never manage to go to in Loughborough.

Shepshed 7? Well done.