Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

you'll never get your top lot there though, as they have more important stuff on.

Yep, that's JOB. In fairness she was never going to be in danger there! But as a guest won't count anyway.
    Apparently we didn't even have our 3rd fastest chap there, and we've changed management, so it seems a little less polished in getting a good squad out.

In fairness, nothing would have got me there. Man Utd v Arsenal? Or a procession round a flat grass field? Hmmm

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

If you look at po10, in 2013 Sandhurst have 9 sub-40 10ks and 9 sub 90 HMs. Datchet have 12 and 18. Yours is the only sub-80 half and we have 6.

Have another look handsome, Graham has 2x 1hr 12 halfs this year himself!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, hard race indeed.

I'd spent all but the first 10 minutes putting in audacious surges. The last surge was a sprint for the line.

A couple of pics follow of that momentus moment.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/DSC_0128.JPG

/members/images/493151/Gallery/DSC_0130.png

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

that guy looks kind of scary, like someone who has been living in the wild and exisiting on raw meat.

You'd have run quicker without all that warm gear on, Samir will tell you that.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Seb, great cross-countrying again from you.  We are entering the time of year when you shine again.  You should place a few mad obstacles on the course the night before so you get even more of an advantage. 

Likewise excellent XC from SS.

Tim, I'm in your boat, as in I went and did one XC (first one since I was 17) last season and ended up further down the results than I might have expected.  I think you just need to suck it up and keep plugging away until you get better at it, which is kind of my plan.

Phil, good report.  Kind of made me want to get involved again, funnily enough. I think had I not still been in marathon recovery I might've shown my face yesterday.  Good to hear that people are starting to mention SG's name in hushed tones as a local face.

SG, Dean - always good to see a sub-7 average come out on a long-ish run, happy days. 

For comparative purposes, RRR have had 20 sub-40 10K runners and 40 sub-90 HM runners in 2013.  I am assuming not many of them were there yesterday.

• Options
    Stevie G . wrote (see)
    Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

If you look at po10, in 2013 Sandhurst have 9 sub-40 10ks and 9 sub 90 HMs. Datchet have 12 and 18. Yours is the only sub-80 half and we have 6.

Have another look handsome, Graham has 2x 1hr 12 halfs this year himself!

But for po10 purposes, Graham is second claim Sandhurst (Garden City Runners) so doesn't appear on the club rankings.

If you include second claim then you get (with Dachs' RRR and Jock Itch in as well)

Club Sub 40 10k Sub 90 HM
    RRR       21                   41
    DD         12                   18
    SJ          12                   11
    BFR         9                    8

If you look at others (Windle Valley 3&3) TVT (0&3) HX (5&6) then it does look like  if Reading tried it would be theirs for the taking.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

bearing in mind Reading probably have about 400-500 runners more than every other club it's not exactly much of a comparison!

beware the PO10 comparison, I thought we'd long established that. Check my record with Frankies for example. It's probably something like 10-1, when in reality it's actually about 40-2

• Options

Yes, po10 can be misleading, but in this crude manner it does give some sort of idea of fire-power. If that fire-power can be brought to play or not is another thing, so Wargrave (saw Meep Meep yesterday, was looking well) are not going to challenge and neither are Burnham Joggers. As far a I can see, there are 4 teams with enough depth to contend: Sandhurst, Bracknell, Reading and Datchet. Last year we didn't get the team organised and ended up 7th.

I assume you are going to race at Sandhurst in 2 week's time? Need some stories of epic puddles.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

never assume old son! The racing schedule is 100% open at the moment.

Bracknell won't challenge surely, Jocky won't do many races I wouldn't think, and Annie Baumber left over a year ago? Reading would obviously mop up if they were interested, and Datchet coming 7th last year is mental!

• Options
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

never assume old son! The racing schedule is 100% open at the moment.

You've got to be kidding: there is a plan somewhere else your coach is an idiot (and he isn't). I see you have entered a race for next weekend but if it is windy on the south coast you will need a back up somewhere.

• Options
    .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭
    Cheers guys, 42nd in Division 1 so a decent outing. Another 20secs or so faster and I would have been really happy, so not far off where I want to be. When I look at the same race 2 years ago I was so much slower, 73rd in Div. 2, whereas yesterday I would have come 7th. I've progressed a lot when I look at it like that which is nice.

Good long runs again SG, Dean and Iron. Just 11.5 miles XC for me yesterday, felt ok, calves a tad tight.

Will have a good look at Wilmslow HM and enter if it doesn't clash with other events.

Think I might go to Leeds Dash this weekend, been offered a lift and hotel space by a mate from a local rival club, so will probably go as not driving will really help. If I do will aim for sub 34.

Nice XC Phil, I can tell you like the odd off road venture!

If you took out some local rivals Stevie the pace is irrelevant! Good work, What's the target for Leeds?

SG you are a funny chap effectively saying you have no races in immediate future but are entered for one this weekend. Phil busted you this time!
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Gosport then...

• Options

Nice XC efforts guys! I'm getting the sense these xc races can be a bit heart-breaking! I certainly struggled with all of the elements that were out of my control in my first one last weekend. Like someone (can't read above!) said, with road racing.. you sort of know unless you have a disaster what the outcome's going to be. XC is a whole other kettle of fish. I think I'll plug away at it for a while!

Some nice long runs in from you chaps too.

Was very thankful for my day off yesterday. Felt ROUGH. Not sure if it was the 80 mile week... or what felt like the near 80 bottles of wine consumed on Saturday night. Either way, yesterday hurt.

10 miles for me tonight with track in the middle. 6 x 400m came out much faster (82s, 84, 83, 84, 86, 85); 4 x 200m (39s, 39s, 39,s 41s) all off 200m jog recs then 2 x 100m to try and get my leg speed up at 18s.

Happy to have cracked that one out after my first day at a new job.. which has a track 100m from my office door. WINNING image

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Gosport weather is bound to be carp............I'm attending for the first time in ages.

• Options
    .Seb wrote (see)

Nice XC Phil, I can tell you like the odd off road venture!

I don't think it is XC in particular but this base building is a nice phase to be in. The way I look at running, you can't be at your peak all year round, so you need to target a few periods (typically two a year) when it all comes together. In these periods you get your PBs. Once they are over, you rest and recover and then rebuild. This means now I am fit an running well but there is no pressure to perform at the top of my game as there are no immediate A races. If things go well it is a bonus, if they go badly no tears are shed.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Just browsing the Thames Valley XC results.  Presumably the two listed in first and second didn't actually finish there.

The first XC match always seems to bring one or two surprises out of the woodwork who you've never heard of. 

• Options

Dachs, where have you seen the results? TVXC website yields nothing for me.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

They were up on the TVXC website. They're gone now.  Initially they came up listing everyone as DNF (which seems unlikely, but may have been possible if the race was interrupted by The Rapture or something), but then there was a semblance of a result reported with two people running about 5 minutes faster than PMJ's clubmate who, i understand, won.

• Options

Methinks some technical error there somewhere!

Rested yesterday, and swam a mile for the first time in ages, but feeling slightly pissed off now! Went for an easy run at lunch, doing loops near work so as not to starnd myself with a long walk back. Everything seemed OK (leaving aside the seemingly permanent hamstring issue and a weird pain in my right foot!) until the 3.5M point, same as Sunday. The groin strain thing then came on pretty quick, and by 4M I was forced to stop and walk again. Weird thing is, it was absolutely fine to walk on straight after. looks like Sunday's xc is off the agenda, and increasingly like there would be no point in doing the flat 10k I had planned in early December.

What is a bit frustrating is that the hamstrings mean I'm reluctant to try and do too much on the bike.

Hey ho, on the plus side I haven't got to run home through the mud in the dark this week!

Where's SG gone then?

• Options

TVXC has a database behind the results and it does seem they are uploaded bit by bit. In the past I have seen the results gradually emerge from the mist.

When up they will be race 41: http://www.tvxc.org.uk/results/team?race_id=41

I saw the two fast ladies Dachs saw in the results and can confirm they are oddities. I did not see the Rapture but left soon after finishing so there may have been an event I missed.

I hope I have not upset SG, he just stated he had no races and I pointed out that he had (well, to be exact about this, all I have is that his name came up in respect to a race for which he has previous form and when I checked there is an entry for someone with his name, club and date of birth). If he wants to race and tell after that is fine, he just can't say he has no races if he has.

• Options

Thanks Dachs. 

Strange one Bus. I'm familiar with the strain that is there running and walking. Do you stretch your hamstrings? 

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

PMJ -  could just be a co-incidenceimage  agree though why keep it a secret? i mean still give it the "oh im just looking to get round BS" but secretly targeting a big PB, we all do that.    

i liked Dachs approach the other day stating before he had even entered the half mara that 73 was his target.  good man!    

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I wouldn't concern yourself Phil. If SG had gone silent for five days back to back, coming up to a weekend, then he's racing. Doesn't have to mention the fact. Its a known.

Anyway, we all know there are no races anymore. They are called 'timed runs'.

🙂

• Options

http://www.tvxc.org.uk/results/detail?race_id=41

seems to be updated now with a sensible list. Datchet 6 home by #30, Reading by #39, Bracknell by #43 and Sandhurst #65 by which time they had 2 ladies home as well.

• Options
    IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Strange one Bus. I'm familiar with the strain that is there running and walking. Do you stretch your hamstrings? 

Oh yes! Since the torn tendon earlier this year, I've done little else in life image

I would imagine SG just wants to avoid the pressure (perceived?) put on by everyone knowing he's racing. I guess he's best placed to know whether or not he wants to tell everyone or not.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

PMJ - I wouldn't worry, SG always forgives you even when you post up random pictures of young ladies he knows and groundlessly infer that there is something going on.

Dean - to be fair, Wokingham is an oddity in that you choose a time on entering and it gets displayed on their website for all to see.  It makes for a lot of fun in January reading through and seeing who's aiming for what.

• Options

I tend to think that if people don't post about things on internet forums it's because they'd rather not talk about them. But he didn't say 'no races' he said 'the racing schedule is open'. Which it arguably is with respect to the xc you'd mentioned.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Or that given reasonable conditions he's going to run a first mile in 5:35 and then stick another 12 of them on top for good measure.

Lets face it. Its not beyond him.

🙂

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

What distance is SG's race then?