Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Yup! Wasn't a particularly pleasant time...

• Glad you survived Nikki, amenorrhoea would've been a big risk amongst other things. Jenny at your club knows a lot about sports nutrition if you are looking for advice.

• I have a rule of thumb for calories and it is about 3,500 calories to loose a pound bodyweight and I try not to loose more than a pound in two weeks. That means I try and keep my calorie deficit to about 1800 calories a week and I reckon 100 calories per mile so if I do 68 miles in a week then I need to take in between 5000 and 6800 calories a week on top of the basic 2000 a man of my build and age needs.

• I wouldn't even know how to start counting how many calories I consume! I know if I'm exercising less and start to put weight on though, I cut down on pastries, pasties and cake image. Can't imagine how anyone can get by on 1000 cal without being ill though.

No running for me the past couple of days, and probably going to take tomorrow off as well (difficult, as I have a brand new pair of road shoes and fell shoes waiting to be tried!).

32 miles on the bike yesterday; 14 to work, 18.5 hilly home. Fastest ever average speed to work, so pleased with that.

• I know if I didn't run I'd be a fat mess pretty quick if I carried on eating like I do. I spend so much money on food it's becoming ridiculous. I wan to shed a few pounds to get to 10st but I just can't seem to be able to eat less. Whenever I try I wake up in the night starving and eat 2 bowls of cereal!

New Nikes came today... when you've been wearing 500+ miles pair.... my word they feel good!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Jesus Christ! id not get out of bed if I had less than a 1000 calories to play with. In fact last week I decided to weigh the amount of cereal I was eating per bowl. Usually go through 2 bowls per day with a pint of milk on each and usually go through 4/5 boxes per week on my own. Turns out each bowl was over a 1000 calories, add that to my dinner and tea. :-/ it's a bloody good job I run. 

Started on porridge now instead and already dropped a couple of pound. Last summer I was 11st and now just under 10 1/2st. 

Tempo run on the treadmill tonight. It's a bit manic on a Tuesday as the wife plays netball so looks like its Tuesday tempo on the treadmill is going to be a near permanent fixture. 

• Matt, I'm the same, I use a huge bowl for my cereal and have at least 2 bowls a day! Food of champions.

Tried to do 4 x 1K tonight, wind was crazy and binned it after 800M, tried to join the main session  later of 3 x (3min, 2min, 1min) But last 1 set before stopping. My legs went and have felt ill all day so must be coming down with something.

That and I was up till 1am last night preparing for a lesson observation today so no sleep and a day of adrenaline has killed me off!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

It's funny, I always presumed my monk like lifestyle was the most severe on the thread. But in reality, I don't calculate any calories, don't ever weigh myself and it's not that restrictive at all really!

Good efforts in the conditions there Stevie. And tempo treadmill stuff Matt...wow, mentally challenging!

I woke at what must have been between 4-5 by the heaviest sounding rain/hail ever. Thinking, "heck, i'm doing a session in this in a couple of hours".

Then properly woke feeling a little hot headed, and thinking, perfect excuses for thread material!

In the end, it came out fine.

4x150m at 1500 pace, 4miles MP, then 4x150 at 1500 again.

I've done a 200m verson of this before, and done the 200s on the track which is just by my loop, but it's a bit of a strain to get from the track to the loop in the designated 90secs, especially as it's meant to be a jog not a lash!

Therefore, just set the garmin on 0.15kms and did it on the loop. Which worked better, but just meant mucking about changing it back to miles and 1mile splits for the 4m section and back after (not being enough of a poindexter to be pre-setting this stuff)

28,26,29,29 for the first 200s which weren't exactly raw, and 2 of them were into the wind. Bizarrely the 26 was the inclining one.

The 4miles MP came out nicely under the 6min quick end target on, 23.45 so 5.56 pace

later 150s were a bit sharper 25,26,24,26

• Stevie G wrote (see)

mucking about changing it back to miles and 1mile splits for the 4m section and back after (not being enough of a poindexter to be pre-setting this stuff)

It isn't difficult.

I don't weigh myself either because my scales have needed new batteries for about 3 months, and can't be bothered to count calories even though I can be bothered to programme sessions into my garmin. So I just eat when I'm hungry and avoid foods that I know from experience make me feel bloated or heavy.

The weather looks a bit rubbish today; not especially looking forward to my 15 mile MLR in it.

• Nice biking bus.. racking up the mileage on that. Sounds like you were right to stop and not push through SS... amazing how much one nights disrupted sleep can mess you up.

Good session SG... and now you're done for the day, woo!

Lit.. weather is grim but at least the rain seems to have stopped now. Was quite wet on my easy 8m this morning. Miserable. But rather 8 than 15 in it.

1000kcal was pretty hard. I could get out and do my run but there was no intensity or quality, and everything else in life was a physical challenge. Diet was basically a small bowl of porridge with raisins for breakfast, a bagel with a single slice of wafer thin ham and a tomato + a low fat yoghurt for lunch, a nature valley bar as a snack, and then salad leaves with a tin of mackerel for dinner. I'd then run for 2h from 7 - 9pm, come home, collapse in bed, and do it all again the next day. Talk about soul destroying. I too now nail the cereal image Love that stuff!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

not quite Nikki...4miler up later...

• Sounds grim Nikki!

I was going to squeeze a quick easy sesh in at lunch, but looking at the rain beating mercilessly on the window, sod that! Rain here is forecast to stop about 6 so might head out later. Glad I'm having an easy week anyway!

Sounds a complicated session SG, but well executed! I was woken up by the same hail - was about 5am, and never really got back to sleep after.

Looks like the wind could be a factor on Sunday too image. I'll be tempted to can it if the wind is going to be strong - I've done too many weather affected Wokinghams already to add one which might leave me needing a few weeks off with the adductor issue!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Wokingham looks like a shit-fest.  Possible revision of target time necessary. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Last year's Wokingham was pretty bad conditions, which I seem to massively forget as it personally went pretty well.

But i do remember at the start it pouring down, and trying to shelter. The last 3miles were windy and rainy too!

nasty 4miler done at lunch. Nasty.

• Sounds dire Nikki!

Since training properly I've not had to watch my weight. I just eat whatever. During IM training I'd run or cycle, then have a huge breakfast. Then snack all day, broken up with a huge lunch. Evening training then huge dinner then snack until bed.

Dachs wrote (see)

Thinking that earlier. Suddenly not fussed at missing it!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

have a bit of faith Dachs - you are flying and a PB is still there for the taking.  If i can get one last yr in 20mph -8 winds you can get one in the rain/wind too.  your mara training will show you the way!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Oh, I think a PB is still very much do-able.  But the time I had in my mind might be a stretch now, that was really a best-case scenario one.  Never mind, I'd only mentioned it to one person...

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

If Bucks is anything like Kent today, nice session SG. Tough conditions out there - 'nasty' is definitely the word

How are you feeling Iron?

Hope you're resting that knee Nikki!

Feeling your pain Bus (see below)

Burning the candle at both ends has never been condusive to good training Stevie. How was the first beer post Dryathon btw?

I hit the track for the first time in 2014 last night and whilst the session was good and proved I'm pretty fit, the groin pain has come back with a vengence. So, combine that with the Woky weather reports and the fact Baby Johnas isn't likely to be making an appearance on her due date tomorrow, i might give Woky a swerve at the weekend. Shame as so many regulars going from both here and Fetch to catch up with.

Like Bus, my new kickers will have to wait for their first outing too

• Anyone else read that as 'new knickers'?

• Dachs wrote (see)

Wind seems to be the real issue, forecast is 23 to 25 mph. Went out at lunchtime and it was about 18 and that was bad enough.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

Anyone else read that as 'new knickers'?

/members/images/496080/Gallery/partridge_0.jpg

• I did Lit (but that 's just the way my brain works!)

Johnas - sounds like you are EXACTLY feeling my pain, only worse! Seems like the right choice not to run Wokingham! Didn't realise baby Johnas was due right now - best of luck with that! You won't dare complain of your groin injury to the Mrs at that point image

On the plus side, if its forecasting strong winds now, chances are it'll be perfect on the day image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The Bus wrote (see)

I did Lit

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Ah, the power of the comma.

• Sorry, Bus, you're just not my type.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Lit's more into coaches than Buses ...

• I'm not into any form of motorised transport.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

she wants it.

is not a phrase i'd use.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Why the Stevie G thread doesn't attract more women - Reason #1