Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Ric - all the best mate. Doesn't sound good at all, but lets all keep our fingers crossed that it sounds worse than it is...

Not the best day here! I've been up since 4 trying to beat back flood-water. Not quite successfully, as it did get into the house in places. Time will tell the effect of that. At one point we had a two foot deep river flowing round three quarters of the house and the fire-brigade trying to pump it away. Since then I've been up to my eyes mopping, cleaning as well as emptying clogged up soakaways and filling sand bags for the next round of heavy rain tonight. Quick break for lunch before the next tonne of sand arrives then more bags to fill. 

Oh, and Garmin's always lie! They are far less accurate than a measuring wheel! 

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG - it's always 0.2 miles.  Always.

Good luck holding back the waters Bus.  Have you tried calling Moses?

• All the best with he ate bus and the MEN1 ric.

Wokingham is questionable now:

7.2.14 Further Flooding on course that may lead to the cancellation of the race, a decision will be made by 4 pm. Emails will be sent to all entrants.

• Thanks chaps. Moses would probably be a better bet than the Distinct Council on this occasion - their emergency number just gave another number to call back on in office hours! 

From a purely selfish POV, it would be good if Woky was postponed to a day which was less windy and when I'm not injured or knackered from cleaning up after a flood image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

wow, maybe i'm not in the real world, but didn't think it could be that bad at Wokingham!

Must be pretty bad if they've had to already re-route, and now it's in doubt. Wow!

Bus, sounds really bad, wouldn't have thought your location was especially flood worthy, not like you're next to a river or anything.

• There are a number of ponds and streams out in the sticks that can flood. I guess if they reschedule I won't get my place back image

Hope it all works out well Ric. Good luck Bus. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

if they could position it on a cool day in May, it might work a treat image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

gotta be disappointing. unlucky chaps.

what now, sub another one in?

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dunno.  Bramley 10/20 is next weekend if anyone wants a replacement, but I won't be able to race that day.  Not sure there's much I can do other than sit tight for the Reading Half, and then hammer that one, whipping Samir like a racehorse in the process.  Frustrating, because I've got myself into proper good shape for Wokingham in terms of speed/endurance balance, and the longer it goes on the more marathon miles will take their toll on that.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

so now its canx what time were you aiming for Dachs sub 73?  sub 72 maybe?image

• Stevie G wrote (see)

gotta be disappointing. unlucky chaps.

what now, sub another one in?

13.1 miles in Windsor Great Park behind the Datchet A team acting as a windbreak. May do a parkrun but Wycombe is cancelled as well.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dean - since I've got another Half in a month or so, I'm keeping schtum for now.

• Hillingdon Dachs, or is that too close to VLM? I'm going to enter now before the rush. I think Bramley entries are closed.

Number will be valid for next year Iron. It's going to hit their finances badly though.

Right, Chez Bus is all sandbagged up! I'm bloody knackered now, so no run today - hot bath and then decide whether to go to the school quiz or not!

It's the fields out the back SG. If you look at the topography we are right smack bang in the line of what would have been a river at the end of the last Ice Age, so it forms a natural run-off line for several hundred acres of fields.  There is a flood defence scheme behind the house with massive soakaways under the fields, but after all the rain we've had these are full, and the intensity of the rain last night finally overwhelmed it. Went up to have a look this afternoon and there are two new ponds, and a river running into what is now a bloody lake sitting ominously above our house image Looking forward to a good night's sleep tonight when it starts chucking it down again tonight image

• Bus, most people here are free Sunday morning for sand-bag duty (different sandbagging than planned).

I have seen the start list and my number wasn't re-used so you may be right.

Dachs, the obvious answer is a training PB!

• That's true Dachs - I could turn it into some kind of "tough guy" event - run through the mud, wade the river, swim the lake then build a wall of sand bags image. I bet Seb would win (even with his dodgy foot!)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

if Wokingham are saying you can use this year's abandoned entry next year, does that mean next year will already be full?

That's not good!

They definitely not planning to re-arrange like the other year?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

and no wonder the Wycombe parkrun is off! It's the most flooded I've ever seen it.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

seb. Are you racing Cheltenham tomorrow ?  The stream crossing should be interestingimage

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

In preparation for a muddy 'Vets XC' next month. This week I've been running mostly in mud, and water.

The 'Fellcross' are doing their stuff, but operating at sub seven pace is pushing things. By my estimations, I'll have to be going about 45 seconds per mile faster to get a result.

🙂

• I'm going on a trip to the seaside. Deal Half in Kent for an away day: don't fancy the solo 13 so a trip was planned. Much more low key than Wokingham, 82 would put me top 5 so it will be thin which is probably better training anyway.

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

Thats really unlucky about Wokingham! All set for a race and bam, cancelled!

Good luck keeping the water out Bus! I'll be doing quite a few OCR's (Obstacle Course Races) this yet actually. Next weekend is the first one of the year.

Yes Dean I think I'll be there, even if I can't train I will race. Weather reports indicate severe wind so that'll be fun. Hopefully it will be muddy and they keep the river crossing image

• Good luck with that then Seb!

Of course I meant "Iron" when I said "Dachs" in the last post! Shows what my brain is like at the moment, though we did manage 3rd in the family quiz tonight (which is pretty good considering 1st and 2nd were both teacher teams of 8 adults compared to us with 4 adults and 6 under 12s!)

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Seb, see you tomorrow then.  

bus - the flood sounds bad your way..hope that clears quickly.

• Hi all,

Mind if I ask a question?

For your long (18+ mile) runs, what % of each run would you be doing at easy and what % at target pace?

I did my first 20 mile run of the season this week and did 13 easy and 7 at target pace, but don't know if this is going to be too much to keep doing and risk injury / over training, or not enough give me the best chance of the time I want.

Thanks

• Martin K8, I assume you are talking marathons and in the past SG would have been very anti this but he is mellowing with age.

Normally people follow a plan and whatever people claim, there really are only two sets of plans.

The first is named after Lydiard and works like this: you build up a massive base of running and then you slowly start to add more and more speed to this. It is like a pyramid where you lay foundations and then build up from there. The thing here is you do a lot of runs with the first bit 20% slower and the second bit 10% slower and a few with chunks at target like your 7 in 20. Lydiard plans look odd as you start out slow and end up doing 5x600m reps!

The other is named after Hanson and these develop in a different manner so start out with a sort of plan which is hard Saturday and long Sunday with the idea that Saturday tires your legs so Sunday is a simulation of the marathon itself. In this programme the growth is in the length of these runs so they are at a much higher pace than the Lydiard plans.

If you have a 20 in the bag already then you are no novice so it  will probably help if you share your experiences and plans.

A little internet search also shows you have a few decent times to your name and really I'd say pop into the Sub 3h15 thread which sounds a bit odd but the sub 3 guys are the semi elite and the sub 3 goes from about 2:40 to 3:30 and is a friendlier bunch. On the sub 3:15 there is another King's Lynn runner and I was educated there (look for my name in gold letters at KES) and ran there for ages

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Final birmingham xc league today in very windy cold conditions and a touch of hail for the final lap I believe.  I decided to change tact with this race and go out slow and build through the race as I'm short of form at Xc.   First mile settle in about 90th ish position but still first mile was 5.47.  mile 2 was a sit and wait and came out in 6.08.  from now on I was racing the hard ground but when the wind was against I settled in at easy pace recovering.  Started eating through the field and I felt strong. Going into the last lap I spot seb and I pull alongside, sometimes you can tell when someone wants the race over. he had that look, he was clearly suffering from the recent lack of activity. Not the usual beast. 

I move on and start catching the group in front but lose some places I just took as into the wind I went flat and a felt the effects of being sick for most of the past week.  I rallied into the last mile i manage a 5.32 last mile . the last 150m I pick the pace slightly and get into a tussle with a Loughborough student, the outcome being I outsprinted him and took him on the line.  60th overall ave pace  6.02.  Not bad ( not great either!) but I will take it in these conditions and recent form.  Was so cold at the finish I only managed a few words with seb but I'm sure he will back and firing soon enough and monster the nationals. 

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

I think you went alright Dean, good to see you briefly!

Terrible day for me indeed so my summary will be short. Didn't feel great this morning and foot was aching but thought I'd race anyway since I went well two weeks ago at the Midlands and also have a club XC Championship to win.

Set off nice and steady and after a lap was in 50th position or so. Then I just lost it. No feeling in the arms and runners just kept cruising past me. Got defeatist in my head and just kept thinking 'this is not going well'. Foot was not good either. Went into autopilot and couldn't keep with Dean or anyone else as they came past. 69th position in the end. Limping straight after finishing and have done some damage. Will see GP for some pain killers and physio next week. I'll be back eventually, shit happens eh.

• Bad news Seb. You take it easy and get the foot sorted out. It won't keep you down for long.

Dean - maybe not where you wanted to be in the race, but a pretty solid performance nonetheless and still a very sharp average pace given the terrain and conditions!