Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Yes, 15 minutes plank and yes, it was my arms & shoulders that gave up.

Doesn't mean much. I mean, down the track around 10 years ago I could beat all the sprinters at every test they were doing in a circuit (50 press ups in 30 seconds) for a start. But I cannot sprint. At all.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Helps not being very tall.

Oh, should add, the new picture on the left. That was the grandfather I never met. He died in 1958. In the first world war he was riding a horse when a shell exploded right under him. Had rivets from the saddle blown up into his guts. And had some of them removed and repairs done without anesthetic.

Real tough guy was Walter.

Now about my sore ankle...

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

I have started doing core work 3 times a week.  Plyometrics, plank, sit ups, weights.  The reason I'm doing it is the best 800m guys in my age group are sprinters running long whereas I'm a road runner racing short. I need to improve my explosive power to be more like a sprinter than a half marathoner.  There are some lifts I can't do due to my hernia so I don't think I could do your session on the bike ric. But I agree it sounds good.

i can plank for a minute before i start shaking like a nervous Michael j fox, but I am holding up over 12 stones image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Dean, I wondered how the 'hernia' was affecting things. It must be over a year.

As is the case with training, its understandable with running, for the general approach to be, 'if it isn't running how can it help'?

I'd rather just go for a run myself. But to be competitive I have to do other things as well. The usual reason not to do those other things is that they invariably involve heavy effort.

However, if I chose to take the 'soft option', soft is the result.

🙂

• I have a Swiss Ball on my shopping list,  to replace my desk chair. I have returned seated posture. 

• IronCat5 wrote (see)

I have a Swiss Ball on my shopping list,  to replace my desk chair. I have returned seated posture. 

I have planned the same for years, will really have to do it one day.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Just put this on Scott's thread.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/gr_0.png

From 1994.

🙂

• I can do plank for 4 mins ok but 15 impressed but I am 1.78meters and 10st4lbs image

• Same weight as me Rob! Before Wilmslow, I'm aiming to get below 10st but there's the slight problem of me eating everything.

• Wrong time of year to be below 10s intentionally or otherwise. Fricking freezing. Next winter I'm gonner get hench (Samir) and try to get to about 70kg.

• My usual butting in randomness -

I'm 1.82cm and have fluctuated between 69-71.2 kg this month

I think lightest I've dropped to is around 10st several years ago when I was in for major surgery - strange thing is I have an identical twin (he doesn't run now) but he was always smaller than me physically etc and around 9.5 stone - wasn't as quick though over any distance - we both did all same sports and training ...

Anyway- Coming of being around 10st 4 just after new year when I was unwell.. Not sure what my best weight is and if I'll put on more with this strength training I'm doing...

Iron- hope recovery is going ok but FYI- Samir is far from 70 KGS based on the fact I've physically stood next to him, that was NYD when I had lost half a stone around that period! - chicken legs and not "Hench" about same height as me though.. And I'm pretty toned too and "bigger" for a "runner"
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Well I'm the same height as Gebrselassie which says it all really.

Well, not quite. I also happen to weigh about 12kgs more.

🙂

• Samir never said he was hench, that was Tom Chinery.

• literatin wrote (see)

Samir never said he was hench, that was Tom Chinery.

I must have got confused in the quarter million posts! 

I was under 10st (62.x kg) a few weeks back,  but weight is coming back on slowly. There must be causality between weight and immune response. 

• Crikey, I'm positively the thread lard arse at 5'8" and 10 stone 8/9! It's funny how my wife tells me I am too skinny!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Bus you are skinny stood next to me...I'm 12st 2lb.  Not a chance I could get down to 10st.

ric, it's over a yr now dealing with my hernia. it doesn't stop my in races but there are certain training sessions or weights I have to avoid.  Will have to get it sorted at some point.

did a hill session this morning, 3m warm up, 16*20sec, 3m warm down.  Rarely do hill sessions so good to work something different.  That's 3 quality sessions this week following a 6*4min on tues, 3*2mile on Thursday.  

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Good going there Dean. 

Good to see Nikki taking it easy in the pool. Haha. 

Another belting long run too Dachs. 

A lot to catch up on over the last week. After last Thursdays session I was full of beans and looking forward to the weekend on the ale in Belguim, and more importantly a bit of rest. After drinking for 33 hours out of 48 it pretty much ruined me. Decided just do an easy double on Monday which was anything but easy and since then I've been absolutely shattered. 

Decided to try a marathon paced effort on Tues which was too much like hard work. 6.5 mile at 6.08 pace and I was spent. Tried a 5 mile tempo run on Thursday which was a lot harder than usual and had to cut it short. Finally managed a couple of easy paced runs yesterday that felt comfortable. 

About to try home hill running up pendle. 1800ft it is and will hopefully do a few loops of a killer climb. A hopefully a steady long run tomorrow and I can get 2/3 sessions in next week. 

• And there's you telling Samir to get on the pop Matt image

Windy on the top of Pendle today I should think. Over 130 trees down on Bucks roads last night image. Had a pretty sleepless night myself what with it sounding like the roof was going to come off and thinking we might get flooded out again! all OK this morning though.

Dean - that's a good week. Your weight is proof that speed is not entirely dependent on weight then. I bet you about half a foot taller than me though image

• Wondering whether it's too windy to ride outside. 

Woke up to find a woodsaw on our patio... 

• things from bad to worse for me. jogged for a bus,stopped at lights, chest felt a bit tight, heart started racing, struggled to breathe and went dizzy. next thing woke up on the ground surrounded by people and ambulance. in hosp now under observation at cardiac unit and have broken my shoulder. op on monday or tuesday.

• Shiiit! Heal well Nikki. 

• Seriously? That's awful! Hope everything's okay and the broken shoulder turns out to be the worst of it.

• Nikki, hope you get better, all the best.

The Bus wrote (see)

Crikey, I'm positively the thread lard arse at 5'8" and 10 stone 8/9! It's funny how my wife tells me I am too skinny!

Yep, I'm 5'10" and round 10 stone 4 and will drop to 10 dead for VLM.

• Bloody hell Nikki that's terrible. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and that they find out what the cause was. You poor thing...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

same Nikki, sounds a horrible combo!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Lets hope everything turns out well for you Nikki. Puts our minor ailments into perspective when something of this nature occurs.

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Heal quickly nikki

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

ouch Nikki, broken shoulder? nasty that. you must have passed out and just smacked the ground hard, really unlucky. Hope they fix you up good and don't diagnose any problems. I've nearly passed out several times and have learnt the warning signs, dizzy, then your vision goes, then you are down within a few seconds, lack of blood to the brain I think. You must crouch down as soon as possible. Not that that helps now. Get better soon.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Get well soon Nikki, that's shocking is that! Puts my tired whinging into perspective. You're due an upturn soon! 

Bus it was Baltic! around 2900ft of ascent in 9 miles. Padded it out to 10 miles by doing a loop on the road when I got back to the car. Running at 1800ft up in a gale with snow hail and rain coming sideways want pleasant. Had to do that 5 times after hitting the trig point each time. Took my right hand nearly an hour afterwards to stop tingling as I didn't have and gloves. Schoolboy error