Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Its cause and effect.

Doesn't have to be cycling. Doesn't even have to be more effort. Just different.

Increase the contrast of training. Instead of twice a day 5 miles each time, it can turn into a 5mile one day, 15miles the next. I've seen 100 mile/20 mile alternate week work (for someone else, he ran for London Heathside)

Or do nothing but hills for a month.

Or condense 60 miles a week of all sorts, into 30 miles of more intense stuff. That's more intensity but much more recovery.

I go from easy volume everyday running to just sessions. Last summer it was 12 miles per day. Now its closer to 12 miles per week, but I'm running sub 6's in mud. I couldn't then.

SG, With the base that you have built over the past three years, you could nail a very fast HM off six weeks doing only three sessions a week.

That's two 5km speed sessions and one long run. And plenty of rest. Should only add up to 35/40 miles per week.

You may not realise it, but you've already done the hard miles.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately I'm one of life's "greens" (work personality test), so favour the modest approach. If I was a bit more red, and had more "Beleife" (sic) like Samir I'd be all over it.

I might as well admit I'm in for Reading half in 2 weeks. Phil knows, so everyone would anyway image

I'll give that max effort, and after that it'll be a big decision on approach going forward.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

RicF, what are your thoughts on hamstring niggles? After Saturdays hill session I woke up with what feels like a little knot at the top of my hamstring/under the bottom of my arse cheek. Stretched it out sunday morning and ran 16 mile with it (stupid). Felt it on the descents. 

complete rest or can you x train with a hamstring niggle? 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Well Matt, If it was a minor strain, you could run easy through it, though sprinting and hills might be a test to far.

Or rest for a few days and do some mild stretches. The problem being its tempting to go digging your fingers into area before its healed up.

I would train easy and avoid doing any real stretching for at least a week. After that I would do some light massage of the area to break up scar tissue and stretches to re-align the muscle fibres.

The best recovery run for this sort of thing is building to the longest run you do.

Muscle damage is really a 10 day job if no set backs. Damaging the same area before then makes a right old mess. Scar tissue on top of scar tissue.

🙂

• Matt - under the arse cheek could be piriformis, which is much easier to fix (with a spiky ball) and stretch.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG, you told Samir yet? It's good to keep him on his toes.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Cheers Ric, it's definitely minor. Can feel it pull when I've been climbing ladders, stretching for things at work Etc. 

had the foam roller out last night and already been digging the fingers in. Will try a bit of x training tomorrow and if I feel it ill stop. Really wanted a big two weeks training leading up to Trafford but its looking like that ship has sailed. Salford in April is looking like the best bet for some sort of return. Never mind. 

• It's pretty hard to foam roll your arse though. Get some of these:

http://cdn.idealo.com/folder/Product/1232/1/1232103/s3_produktbild_gross/togu-spiky-massage-ball.png

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Just been checking, definitely high up in my hamstring. 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I snapped a hamstring once. Thought someone had sneaked up behind me and belted me across the arse with a plank of wood.

That's what it felt like. And sounded like!

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

dachs, will tell him if I beat him.

otherwise I was never there/ running as a tempo etc

• Erm, yeah. I was thinking of running Reading at MP. I'll let you know afterwards what I decided. image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

that'd get you a pb wouldn't it? image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Matt - snap!  I did a hill session on Saturday and felt a strain top of hamstring/lower glute on my 15m lsr on Sunday, and was still tight on my 6m easy this morning.  Not done any work on it trying to loosen it so will just let it heal.

ric - great advice above about mixing up the training and not doing the same old training yr after yr.  doing something different, gets different results.image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Cheers Dean.

More years ago than I care to remember I recall wasting my time telling someone about biking as a means to build endurance. Unknown to me, the clubs best junior 800m runner (2:07 at the time) was clocking all of this and over the winter spent much of his time blasting about the deserted streets (mid-night apparently) (on a bike obviously)

Clearly doing something different worked in his case. He went into the winter as a 39 minute 10k runner and emerged as a 34 minute one.

In that race he thought the rest of us must be ill on account that he could keep up.

Next race he did 33 minutes.

Did 25 minutes for 5 miles a year later. ( I could still blow him off my rear wheel on a bike though).

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ric, noone wants to hear of someone making epic progress, i want to hear about people making steady progress years and years on image

4x1mile 10k pace up today off  60sec

Did 5x1mile of this session before Christmas, but i believe that was off 90secs.

I picked the bottom end of my (pretty sharp) 10k zone, of 5.30 as the target, and gave it a whirl.

Came out pretty good. 5.29,5.31,5.29,5.30

Had forgotten to turn the auto 1mile splits off, so had to take a second manual split at the designated 9metres on from the end line (2secs on). Was slightly disappointed that the second rep slipped about 0.20into 5.31 territory as i'd thought it was 5.30 at the time.

Obviously was a bit wet and rainy the whole time, but rep 3 was the heaviest rain i've ever seen on a track, the lanes were puddling up like noone's business. Yet that came out as the quickest rep. Odd. Was so heavy at times I could hardly look up!

Glad I didn't try this one out on the roads. Track was so much easier, in pacing and in everything really.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

driving to work after, i was thinking how spit hot Dachs and Johnas must be to do 20mins or more at these sort of paces or quicker, as tempos! Incredible.

I don't want to hear that it's marathon training that's given them this ability though, that's the kind of talk that gets people signing up to them image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG, I think marathon training probably hastened my progress to a level I would have got to eventually anyway.

If it makes you feel any better, I've been running at 7:30-7:50 pace for the last few days and finding that a struggle.  Touch of illness I think.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ahh gotcha, so for the likes of me it'll have no benefit image

inevitable to have plenty of times in the year feeling a little underpar.  Quicker you can get yourself to a nice warm bath/shower the less you get i find. Touch wood most low level things fade pretty quickly.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

It would definitely have a benefit I think.  As Ric says, I think there are various things you could do that would have a benefit though.  Just mix it up!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

simply through extra mileage no doubt.

nice little 4 done at lunch, and this is where i suck up the benefit of these early morn hard sessions, having the rest of the day free.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Good work SG, my hamstring feels a lot better today as in I can't really feel the niggle but when stretching it's the full thing that's a little tight, if you know what I mean. I may try a trot out later. 

I felt exactly like that last week Dachs. Took me 4 days of struggling with easy runs to eventually get one that felt comfortable and fall below 7 min miling. 

• 30 mins bike on rollers yesterday. Felt tired today.

I'm binning the rest of this week as I think I may be trying to do too much too soon.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Difficult to judge with post illness IC.

I was always wary in the days/weeks after a virus, and even more wary in the days following a bacterial infection.

One thing I read on the subject was to aim to finish any training, feeling well.

As for me, 3 sessions today. Easy 30 mins on the bike, then 4 x 5minutes on mainly mud with 1 minute recovery. Then another 20 minutes easy on the bike.

After each fast run, my HR went from just under my sustainable maximum (173bpm) to 120bpm.

Considering investing in a 'blood lactate' testing kit. 

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

do it Ric.

Your casual training has stood out for a while image

• This was definitely bacterial. Finish the session feeling well - this is in relation to comeback from illness, right?

I wouldn't ever say I've finished a track session feeling well image

I measured my RHR at 54 a few mornings last week. Today after work, whilst sat down it was somewhere between 42 and 51. Odd.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

That's correct IC.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

what about track sessions you know you're working hard during, yet you stroll off after?

Haven't run a session so hard I felt it for 2 days since the old Marlow days. Have probably lost that "ability" to work that hard now, which has it's plusses and minuses!

• Well today it would appear whatever SG can do I can do... slower (and with longer rests image).

4 x 1mile off 2 mins, PB 10K is 5:45.

5:36, 5:41, 5:40, 5:39.

Felt tough on the third lap of each, probably my legs wondering why I'd run over 1KM! image Good session though! Previous best was 3mins recovery and 5:50 per rep about 12 months ago.

Oh and 3 miles SLOW as anything this morning.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

That's what the blood lactate tests are for.

When on top of your game, you can metabolise and shift the stuff (lactate) almost instantly. When going a bit off form, it hangs on a bit longer. And when really stuffed, the stuff is there permanently.

Then, not only do you feel a bit tired all the time, you also cannot really 'gun' it at full power.

🙂