Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

good work Stevie, and while I'm sneaking 3secs under my pb pace, you are destroying your zone! Need to get a 10k race on the go asap.

1mile is quite a nasty rep I've decided.

Although the 1.5m and 2.5m ones of previous weeks are the stuff weeping is made of.

• SG, anything above 1mile is marathon training territory! Stay away. Next 10K will be in May for the GMR, but planning a quick 5 mile in April.

Ric, interesting what you say. If there any reasons for the lactic to vanish quicker/linger sometimes than others?

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Stevie see- you still in for the nationals on sat?   I'm on the hover as this piriformis stopped me training today. But hopefull of rest curing all.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Ss, usually some medical problem. Not caused by endurance running directly. But if wiped out by over doing things in general, a way in for the problems to manifest.

🙂

• Anyone ever had issues with medial cruciate ligament? I twisted my knee skiing in early Jan and think I strained my MCL. I have continued training on it with 2 tough sessions a week but I am still gertting an ache on the inside of my knee!! How long should I expect this to last?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Surprised someone of your level risks skiing Rob! Can ruin you!

All i know from footy days is when you hear the phrase "cruciate ligament" you start worrying, but if you've worked through hard sessions (and your sessions are hard!), then can't be too bad?

I'd be pretty cautious though, physio job if you're sure it's in that region?

Standard medium long run (by non marathon standards!) for me today, 10 around 6.53ish. That's me done until Friday.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Surprised someone of your level risks skiing Rob! Can ruin you!

All i know from footy days is when you hear the phrase "cruciate ligament" you start worrying, but if you've worked through hard sessions (and your sessions are hard!), then can't be too bad?

I'd be pretty cautious though, physio job if you're sure it's in that region?

Standard medium long run (by non marathon standards!) for me today, 10 around 6.53ish. That's me done until Friday.

• Stevie I love skiing too much to miss out injury only happened as a guy I was skiing with trapped my ski getting off a lift and caused me to do the splits and only gave way when binding clicked out of ski leaving me with a twisted and sore knee!

I am doing knee strength ing exercises to build up stability and have talked to my Physio who said I was doing right things but frustrating that ache still hanging around!!

Having said that managed a 10 mile progression starting 6.50 pace down to 5.30ish last night and covered 10 miles in 61.13 last 5 in 28.50 so can't be that bad!!

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

My brother knackered his knee ligaments playing football - got a big op when he was 23 (11/12 years ago) but he hasn't played football since.  The thing with knee ligaments (I think) is that they're more prone to causing you bother with the twisting / turning action required in a game like football rather than running (and the side on tackles my (fast) brother used to take from the (slow) defenders...).

Just keep an eye on it but it doesn't sound that bad.  Probably overstretched a little rather than torn/ruptured which is what my brother had.

• Cheers Calum I think have stretched/strained it a little definately no tear etc

• Stevie See just seen you were Club athlete of the Month for January Well done image

• 10 at lunchtime. P&D have me down for a 4 and 6 recovery but I don't like doubles so rolled it up into one and then I started to chase down a couple of very fit and fast ladies and once the sap was flowing and the pace was up I was chasing just about everyone round the London parks so it turned out to be close to 7 average and a few close to MP so also wasn't a recovery run.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

... and then I started to chase down a couple of very fit and fast ladies and once the sap was flowing ...

Shocking behaviour.

• Thanks again for all your thoughts. It cheered me up reading in hosp! athome now, they were waiting till next week to decide if I need an operation on shoulder or not. I'm really lucky to have a few great friends in high places, so have managed to get in with a top sports cardiology doc. They are going to do some further investigation and hopefully make a 'return to play' programmeM for me. I don't think I'll ever run another marathon, but might be able to compete over shorter distances on 30 or so miles a week.

as has been said, taking every day as it comes. Highs and lows.

glad to see some good sessions in image have been following from a far. 

Hope the injury clears up Stevie... Twists are painful. On the plus side my knee is getting a rest image

• Good to see you are positive Nikki and moving in a good direction.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Indeed, more power to your elbow as they (whoever that is) say.

I wouldn't concern yourself about marathons Nikki G, I've been reading about how much exercise too much exercise and marathons are considered about the top level of ok.

At least you've run a marathon. A real runnerimageimageimageimageimage

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, all you lot who haven't run one, shame on you!

Good to see you're feeling positiveish Nikki.  Just be glad Phil won't be stalking you out online for a bit!

• Glad to hear Nikki!

RicF wrote (see)
    At least you've run a marathon. A real runnerimageimageimageimageimage

Even I've run two! I mean, who hasn't run a mara nowadays?

I'm getting more confused here about resting HR. If it is supposed to be at it's lowest in the morning, how come I can get a lower HR now at my desk that first thing?

• 'Return to play' sounds ace, Nikki - and much better than some grumpy doctor just saying 'don't exercise'.

• Quiet in here. I reckon that SG is now more of a social meeja type since he has his new phone.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Very quiet! 

marathons are overrated Nikki! hopefully no need for a operation will be a good start, easy to say but keep trying to remain positive. 

my first track session tonight in I think 3 weeks. I wasn't looking forward to it at all. At work over the last couple of weeks I've been really having peaks and troughs of energy. Been wondering if its my diet or if I've been doing too much. The lows are that bad I've been struggling to find the energy to walk which isn't ideal as I've to climb ladders all day and I'm on my feet for the best part of 8/9 hours. 

Still churned out my easy doubles which have felt anything but easy at times. Usually afterwards I feel invigorated but a couple of hours later I'm goosed! at he hamstring niggle seems to have cleared itself as I've ran everyday since Tuesday so hopefully no repercussions. 

With Trafford round the corner I decided to do 8x 1000 off 2 mins rec. I was advised to try 3 mins rec but I've never given myself that length of recovery on the track, 2 mins felt a lifetime! The first two reps were a real shock to the system as my legs were probably in shock with all the treadmill running! 

3.15 - 3.13 - 3.10 - 3.09 - 3.07 - 3.08 - 3.07 - 3.07

total of 10 miles in all, 14 yesterday too. 

apart from reps 7 and 8 I felt really strong which is a massive confidence booster. Hopefully a couple of decent weeks will see me in good shape for the race. 

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/448360392

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Could be diet Matt. Another alternative would be to ask the Doc for a full screen blood test.

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

if I'm no better by Monday Ill be on to the docs. 

• Hi matt

I am also in for Trafford 10k. Not done it before but looks a good course.Interestingly your 1000 intervals read like my 800 so you will probably be half way home when I finished but good luck anyway image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

wow fast reps Matt, however long you reckon 2mins felt like! I always think the result from an 8x1k type session is what you can hope for in a 10k race, as the adrenaline/counting for something overrides the recoveries!

I'd not worry too much about your energy levels, I think we all have spells where we feel quite knackered, and yours must simply be multiplied by having a physical job.

Iron, lol, i do sometimes wonder if I should do more stuff than just the running, but to be honest what I produce is from totally dedicating myself to it, so easing off from that will only see the times slow i'm sure!

Today's session I quite fancied from the off. Generally from the week's 2 sessions, you'll see one where you think, heck, and one, ahh that'll be nice. 4x200 hard, 5m MP, 4x200 hard was the latter.

All on the road this time,.

33,34,35,35,  5.57 average for the MP, then 34x4.

The first mile of the MP felt so comfy it was ridiculous,a slight slopey start and "Only" needing to hit 6min miling after the 4.30ish 200s beforehand.

Nice sesh to start the day with.

• So there was a plan was to do 7@HMP with SG as he did his 5@MP but my 7 came out at 6:19 average so I would have had him in sight for the first 3 or 4 minutes.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

fast reps Matt - looking good for trafford.  outside chance i will do trafford but only to put a marker down to know where my fitness is to work on it towards a PB attempt

Who is running the nationals tomorrow?  Stevie S, Seb, Lit, me..anyone else? i need to do a test run today to make sure im over the hamstring/piriformis strain to confirm im traveling.  race is at 3pm i think so if you chaps want a warm up together just shout.  12k XC whats not to enjoyimage

• No Nationals for me, but will people please chase me to do so next year as I miss them.

Daughter #1 is at Sheffield for the next few days for the BUCS indoor champs. She is racing 60m and 200m which is a stupidly short distance: I wouldn't get out of bed to race such a short distance and she drives from Exeter to Sheffield to do so! She PBed recently at both distances so is in good form and is South West champion over 200m this year.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

is 6.19 what you'd expect to do a half in currently Phil? Or was that holding off slightlyh due to your hard session the other day?

if it's the former, 7miles at HMP is a top session! Not sure i'd handle that to say the least!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

7 miles at HMP is the session I tried (and failed) to do last week, and intended for last night before I started feeling dodgy earlier in the week.  Not sure I can manage it as one.  I broke it up into 4 x 10 minutes for my Abingdon campaign, and am loosely considering doing it as 2m, 3m, 2m tomorrow (with the middle 3 as a parkrun).

Great news that there is some light at the end of the tunnel for Nikki.  Stick to the short stuff and excell at it.

Fast reps from Matt, though we've come to expect those.  And a tasty session from SG.

I'm starting to feel some more bounce in my legs now after being a little on the ill side this week (managed to keep running, but all short and easy paced).  Hope I don't forget how to run fast for my match up with the King.