Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Ric - the trouble with TT's is they tend to be up and down a dual-carriageway at stoopid O'clock on a Sunday morning! I am thinking of doing the Marlow Duathlon though which seems altogether a bit more civilised! 

Matt - character building indeed! Sounds a good run, but the guy left on his own was clearing hypothermic, and the description suggest close to severe with loss of consciousness just around the corner - blue lips are a very clear warning sign! Warm clothes, a hot drink (but not caffeine) and something to eat are the right thing to do, but you have to be careful with direct heat such as that from a car heater which can be counter-productive.

This article on fell-running and hypothermia is excellent and also appeared in the FRA mag:

http://everythingoutdoors.co.uk/hypothermia-facts-causes-treatment/

• Dachs wasn't racing parkrun. There was no one behind him!

Sounds like a close escape Matt. Good XCing Dean.

Re: training anxiety etc, I was getting very antsy about not getting out. Now I'm not so fussed. It's not a case of need to train but a case of want to.

Bus, my jury is still out on TTing on dual carriageways. However weekday evening TTs tend to be on much quieter roads, with the clubs choosing different course for different times of year. The Maindenhead Thicket is a good course but more of a summer one. It's on the A4 near the A404 roundabout. worth a go.

I'm not doing Marow this year; it would be a waste of money. Also, after last year I fear the run will still be waterlogged (wear fell shoes) and part of the bike could be dangerous. Fingest is still suffering from floods I think.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

why would it be a waste of money Iron? Not a good performance from my old lot putting it on? I remember hearing some bad stories, but won't go into them on here!

• Because I'm in no state to race it. In fact completing it would be a major challenge. image

Don't get me wrong, it's a great local event for beginners and seasoned competitors.

• I'm hoping it might have dried out a bit by March image. Mind you, it was pretty wet last year if I remember right!

Might take a look at the Maidenhead Thicket TT - thanks for the tip.

5.5M xc this morning. Nice run in the sunshine and things have dried up a little. 

• The Bus wrote (see)

I'm hoping it might have dried out a bit by March image. Mind you, it was pretty wet last year if I remember right!

Might take a look at the Maidenhead Thicket TT - thanks for the tip.

5.5M xc this morning. Nice run in the sunshine and things have dried up a little. 

Nice run. Will likely do 30mins easy tomorrow.

The entire course was wet last year and the rain on the day was biblical.The muddy field was like crashing into the back of a traffic jam.

TTers like to speak in tongues to keep it secret; they'll have you looking for small yellow markers next to drain covers and bus stops. Thicket course is called H10/2.

• Nice one Deano, good run. Another season of XC banked and although you feel it's not been amazing in places, it's definitely been a stronger one than last season I'd say? The race looked great, a stream and even the log to jump! Just wish I hadn't have got pie-eyed Thursday and ran it.

Matt, sounds like an epic adventure, I'd love to hit the fells but they are so far from me and I be that guy turning blue after I decided to hike up a mountain in a vest, shorts and flip-flops!

Dachs, I'd echo what others have said, you have banked some serious miles so I'd have an easy week before and try to enjoy Reading.

Nothing too exciting for me. 12 miles yest' in 7:08avg, and 9 tonight in 7:11 avg. Track Tuesday to look forward to tomorrow.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, best time for TT's is early morning. Sorts out the athletes from the dilettantes festering in their pits.image

Actually the early morning TT and strange codes hark from the days when bike races were illegal on the roads. 

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

was just about to head up the track to do a 6x1k session, but thought I'd just re-check the week plan, and whoops I'd got my days wrong.

Today's a 6&4, tomorrow is the 6x1k!

Today becomes a lot easier all of a sudden image

• Stevie G wrote (see)

was just about to head up the track to do a 6x1k session, but thought I'd just re-check the week plan, and whoops I'd got my days wrong.

Today's a 6&4, tomorrow is the 6x1k!

Today becomes a lot easier all of a sudden image

But tomorrow is harder. What is the taper plan for Reading? No ManU games this weekend so a good rest day on Saturday.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

standard 6miler with strides the day before and a good old fashioned F OFF.

Week is kind of out of sync to normal asyesterday was a rest day too. So the reps and the medium long run get put back a day a piece. However, i'll have done the 10 on Thursday by 8.30am, so plenty of recovery time.

• Hey everyone,

Nice running at Nationals guys.

Matt - sounds like good fun, and a good group to train with! Nice to do something different at least...?! image

Big week on the 70s Phil. I can't wait to see how VLM plays out for you. Wishing you all the best.

Thought I'd pitch in on the motivation/anxiety/training discussion! It sort of seems to be like SG says... if it's a niggle, build up etc I got extremely (like, crying irrationally) anxious and panicy at the thought of missing a few days. But when the real deal hits, there's sort of nothing you can do. I obviously haven't trained now for 2-wks, and don't get me wrong, it's killing me. I spend 80% of my time trying to devise recovery plans... looking at races I might target in the distant, distant future, thinking about xt I can do if the heart gets the ok before the arm.. elaborate plans involving altitude tents!! But if you'd asked me before all this how I'd handle being sidelined for whats probably going to be at least 6 months, I'd say I couldn't possibly handle it at all. But actually, you just sort of have to!

Managing to get out for gentle 60-90min walks daily, and even managed some very slow and controlled body weight squats yesterday. Back to hosp today to see how fracture is healing, and then more cardiac tests in a few weeks.

Take it easy guys image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Nikky. Sometimes its best to stop imagining multiple scenarios and limit thinking to only what you have in front of you at any one time. Simple. Live in the 'now'. 

Since I silenced the 'personal narrative' that was part of all my waking hours, life has become far less stressful. 

Penultimate session before my race through the mud of Wormwood Scrubs. 

Race specific, every run this month has been off road. The last seven runs were all sessions on the surface I'm due to race on.

🙂

• What Ric says (that's becoming regular...) Nikki. Glad to hear you're out and about.

I'm taking it slowly and steady. 30mins at 150bpm max. I was that guy with the Garmin alarm going off every 10s. Officially pace agnostic.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I try to help if I can. Ideas for consideration perhaps. Entertainment possibly.

Advise depends on the recipient. 

🙂

• Nikki, albeit at a much lower level, a few years back I had a similar recovery after an MTB accident that left me with a punctured lung, a couple of broken ribs and a shattered collar bone. As soon as you reach that level of accepting you will need to rehabilitate (whilst at the same time being determined to the point of bloody mindedness to do everything you can to speed that process!) the simpler life becomes - it sounds like you are at that stage, which is very positive! I found myself doing an awful lot of walking, and then I added in a turbo trainer in the garage for a bit. The sort of stuff that would seem excruciatingly dull now, but at the time was a mental life saver, and even became quite enjoyable in an odd way! It is amazing how we can adapt to make the best of the situation we are in.

2 x 5.5M xc for me today. Good pace this morning (relatively) then slow tonight, but pleasingly no pain from the groin. I did fell a bit of a pull behind the knee on the other leg, but am sure that is just one of those passing twinges one gets!!

SG - why a 6M on Saturday? Would you not be better to just do a couple of miles easy to keep the legs turning over, but with no chance of residual fatigue for Sunday? Perhaps a 6M won't affect Sunday, but why take the chance if it isn't going to bring anything positive to the party?  I'd actually wonder what benefit a 10 would give on Thursday as well - OK if Reading was just a B race, but I'm presuming it's not, so my view would be don't do anything that won't add to your performance if there is even the slightest chance it might detract....

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nikki, good you're sounding positive. Sounds like you're really going to struggle to resist wanting to smash yourself still though. But you must resist it!

Not to make this a thread of injury/illness pasts, but in 07, I did 1 race, in an appalling year of injury and Chicken Pox. CP as an adult is no picnic I tells you, and wiped my fitness to zero, probably taking about 6-9months to get it back. And I was only a 25mile a week max runner back then, I can recall having to stop on easy paced 4milers as they were too hard!

Bus, has been the same pre every race in the last 4 years! Day off 2 days before, and a run with strides the day before. A taper isn't meant to be cutting everything down to minimum levels, it's about a structured cut down of mileage with the same intensity level.  So the week has had an extra rest day, and a couple of the double runs have been cut out. Perhaps a 54mile rather than last week's 68.5. And bear in mind the race and wu, cd is 16 of that.

If it was a B race, I dare say there would be a second run on the Saturday too image

• I knew you'd say that Stevie, but I still can't see how doing, say, a 4 with strides Sat and an 8 on Thu can do anything other than make you legs just that wee bit fresher. It would have the added bonus of making the week a nice round 50 too image

• Bus, you working from home on Friday by any chance? I need to do a lazy 10.

Track for me today, 9 miles with 5x600m. This is odd as P&D gave me 6x800m a few weeks ago and the 5x600m is at the same pace and similar recovery (P&D use 50 to 90% of the interval as recovery). Next week it is 6x1000 and then 5x600 again the week after.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

8*1k off 200 jog rec. as it is early in the season the target pace was 3.20 reps.  i averaged 3.18 and felt i could raise the pace if i had to on any of the reps.  so happy enough.  my Piriformis was aching and causing some dioscomfort half way through so im going to get into the physio and let them have a go at it.

speaking with my coach last night it is apparent that XC season isnt over yet as i have the inter-counties coming up. Didnt realise i was selected image but its a great race so prepared to race over the mud one more time.  Hopefully seb is still involved after his recent injuries, and i imagine PC2 & Lit are racing too.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

not much odds between 4/6 and 8/10 i'd say. And strides are better spread out in a 6 than a 4.

Bearing in mind the 10 will be done by 9am on Thursday, I'll basically have 2 days off until the time I run on Saturday (10/11ish?) , so will need a run to ease that horrendous post race adrenaline.

6x1k at 10k pace off  75secs today.

Was a little concerned when i got to the track as it looked a little frosty, and I could see small bits of black ice in the first 100metres. On top of this some sports centre guy said hello and said he'd slipped over 5 times just picking up rubbish!

However, faced with the alternative of trying to do 1k reps on my slightly undulating loop, I pressed on.

Just had to make sure my feet fell in the right bits to avoid the 3 or 4 black ice parts!

3.27 is pb pace, 34.30

but came out 3.22,3.23,3.24,3.22,3.25,3.21

certainly prefer 1k reps to 1mile reps at 10k pace!

That will do nicely.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

dachs - reading back i echo what others have said, you are just knackered.  you have completed an enormous amount of great training so far for this mara so im sure if you recover wisely you will be still in top shape.  I guess the question is is Reading worth it?  i would only race if i was in good shape as its not your main goal this spring.  you dont want to harm your VLM PB.  I do think Race day adreneline will get you through at Reading.

Matt - more great peaks action from you. mixing your training up between v fast track and hilly climbs.  you should fly this spring/summer.

SS - cheers agree that this yr XC was better than last so hopefully it pays out.  i have come to terms this yr that im never going to be as good on the country so im less irratable when i get beat by people with significantly slower road PBs.

Nikki - just get better.  health first.  once you are on your feet then start thinking of XT.  This is an issue with your heart not a calf injury.  You dont want your body to send another warning.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

Bus, you working from home on Friday by any chance? I need to do a lazy 10.

Track for me today, 9 miles with 5x600m. This is odd as P&D gave me 6x800m a few weeks ago and the 5x600m is at the same pace and similar recovery (P&D use 50 to 90% of the interval as recovery). Next week it is 6x1000 and then 5x600 again the week after.

From adapting the P&D for Lit, but frrm the 1st edition (i believe the 800 you refer to is 2nd edition, whereas 1st edition has 600s), i couldn't help but think it was odd that one week it is giving 6x600 at 5k pace, which she smashed, and yet this week it's one rep lower, 5x600.
    However, as we're trying to follow the marathon plan BUT also allow for a good run at Reading half, it works as the classic last week light effort session.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

My memory of P&D (which I am ostensibly currently following, although not really) is that those lighter sessions tend to fall in cut-back weeks.  P&D are very cautious about speedwork.

Nice fast reps SG and Dean.  Bus, what are your racing aims now?

Dean and others, yep, hopefully just knackered.  I need to remind myself that, although I'm only 11 weeks into marathon training, I have done back to back campaigns now.  Last week turned out a bit lighter with a 70 (!), and a rest day on Monday plus only 6 yesterday means this week will come out around 50ish including the race.

Reading will be probably my only shot at a fast HM this year, so I do want to do it.  And it will be a good guide as to what might be achievable at VLM, and whether 2:36-2:37 might be possible.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Been weeks since posted here and far too much has passed to comment individually but wishing Nikki a speedy recovery by taking it easy - Look after yourself! Nice to see Iron back too. Oh, and sending good vibes to Ric and fingers crossed you stay fit and healthy.

Also, good luck to the Reading massif this weekend. Wishing you all Jurassic performances

As those on FB know, Baby Johnas arrived last Tuesday. I'll never complain ever again about running niggles or tough track sessions after watching my wife go through 36 hours of labour! Was pretty brutal but baby and Mum both doing well.

And those on Garmin can see I've managed to maintain some level of training and being stringing some decent sessions together. X ray and Ultrasound tomorrow on my groin and adductor as pain is still there after training and am keen to get a diagnosis still.

Keep on keeping on peeps

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Think I liked/commented on fb, but congrats Johnas. The world must look a completely different place now, priorities a lot different.

Always appreciate your relentless positivity when you pop in, a really good personality trait of yours image

• Hello Johnas - good to see you've managed to keep the fitness despite the injury, Must admit I'd forgotten about he Garmin group image Must get back on there! More importnatly, many congratulations on the new arrival imageimageimage. Glad they are both doing well. You getting any sleep?

SG - you are big enough and ugly enough to make your own decisionsimage. very good reps by the way!

Sorry Philip, in Aylesbury friday and also I'm not running more than 6 miles in one go currently

Dachs - as far as racing is concerned, it's all up in the air. I think Hillingdon is out, but I'd be happy to do parkruns (OK, OK, not a race!), Marlow 5 and Ickenham 5, but really need to suck it and see.

6 miles at lunch for me today, with 4 x 1k as my first bit of speed work for a few weeks. Reasonably happy with the 3:37, 3:33, 3:36, 3:33 (slight up and downhill) but the twinge behind the right knee yesterday was pretty painful today, so will have to keep an eye on that. It does feel like on of those ones that disappears quickly though, so fingers crossed.

• Track came out at 2:09, 2:09, 2:07, 2:06, 2:06 for the 600s off fairly short recovery. Took advantage of the wind so did two straights with a tail wind and one with a head wind.

Not really a cut back week for me, 70 last week and 70 next week so 65 is enough. 32.5 done already so just 32.5 to go. Next week try and front load so I can get a do or so rest before Finchley 20.

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Can I just de-lurk for a second and say that the P&D 600m intervals are on the weeks where there is a tune-up race on the Saturday.

It is all explained in the book. A harder workout would jeopardise the race.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

PMJ, you hitting Finchley hard then if you're resting beforehand, or is it a structured training run?  I shall be there, with an aim of 5 @ 6:45 and 15 @ 6:00.  I'm looking forward to finding out what 6:45 feels like in a race.

Congrats Johnas, in addition to those given elsewhere.  Glad you've managed to keep things ticking over.  Enjoying the bizarre feeling of fatherhood?