Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

that's a SUB 1hr 15 Leslie, I've bagged a 1.15:xx already...back in my glory days tho!

Nice one Ric, generous, when really I'm waffling goon who should work a bit harder, and remember a bit less stuff.

Saw your mate Nigel. Obviously from way behind as always.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Oh yes SG, Nigel R.

Here he was yesterday, warming up for today's efforts. Beat me by 2 minutes.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/Copy_of_P1000558.JPG

🙂

• Options
    How did you go Lit? Do share!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

she's on a train still I believe

but it's worth waiting for...cripes!

• Options

Nice run there SG: the more you pepper your CV with 76s and 77s, the more 75s and the elusive 74 you'll get.

Looking at the Reading results, see that Sam Amend finished 3 places behind the guy who came in first at Wycombe parkrun yesterday. What is wrong with these guys who race (or at least run hard) the day before the they race? The guy has run 75, why post a 79?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

it's madness Phil. And to think some people think me doing an easy paced 6 with strides can damage performance!

A race or hard reps certainly will. foolish.

• Options

Well done to all at Reading today. Certainly an interesting day with the weather and the outcomes. 

First time I've experienced the atmosphere there. Today my role was to chaperone the kids around 2.8km of green park challenge,  won in a ridiculous time by a Reading AC vest. We posted a 23imageomething. 

Then I switched to supporter role for the Mrs, who after taking an exceedingly long time to cross the start managed to hit her first ever HM target. 

Supporting in knackering! 

• Options

Nice report there. relief beating Sammir, if he did go with the front lot then he's a daft lad. Seems to have the ability just absolutely no common sense.

Like Phil said, you can't keep hitting PBs you need to keep posting consistently decent times on your CV. It takes time for the PB to be the standard rather than that monumental effort where everything clicked. Only now 14 months after my 10K PB am I truly thinking that I can smash it. Took a lot of track sessions to get that pace hard wired.

But fair play, with the wind. My life it's a shocker and race spoiler. A 77min HM in the wind I 'd give my left bollock for. I ran 15 miles LSR and the last 3 home in the wind nearly broke me - lay on the couch all day recovering, so God knows how you lot felt.

Deano/Matt, no Trafford for me fellas, it's pot hunting all the way! I'm well up for it, ran the course again today. It's for the best as I'm on a residential with my class this week so sleep will be minimal! No ideal PB hunting prep!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Stevie, I'd describe the "decent" race feeling as being one you finish and walk away from and think, I'm alright here. Whereas those big pb efforts smash you for six.

Will  find out the way forward shortly. Most likely to be moving down distances rather than up. Thank goodness. Today I would have wept if you'd told me that I had another 17/18 miles left!

Had a lot of time to chat with Samir, walking, jogging and driving with him. I think he just wanted that one time feel of leading such a big race. Of course he'll grow to learn it's mad.

I led some 10k way above my limit for 1k once. I was utterly smashed at the end as I'd picked a hugely hot day to do it, on a tough MT course.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps Iron what is the Green park challenge? Fun run with kids?

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

them halfs sound like a tough days work! I've ran a local 13.5 miler twice but that has 2000ft of hills in so its more a race for position than trying to hit mile splits all the time. 

Youll be back firing SG. 

• Options

Back to the 3K eh SG? Or more a summer blasting 5Ks you think? I'm gonna be doing 3000 but more as a speed session rather than a time trail. Gonna have another stab as the mile this year! Jesus, that was hard work 74s laps... image

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I never noticed anything about any pb's I ran apart from getting them out of the way in less time.

I haven't any time for the notion that to run faster in a race its simply a case of learning to hurt yourself more.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

just as well Ric, as I have a finely tuned system that doesn't allow entry to the hurt locker. Unlike an old clubmate who often ran himself to collapse/hospital in sight of the sub 3 marathon. (never reached unfortunately).

S-man...either or, wouldn't be a bad option. Our track is shutting which would make training for them more awkward though. But you make do the best you can.

Mile does sound a world of pain. There's one the day before the Bupa London 10k. That'd be an interesting one, a mass mile would be easier to get up for.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Classic report SG! (How did you broach the subject of your having to dash off for a number two with Mr Overall then?) Good job not all 16,500 of you had the same need image

Like Philip said, the more 77's you get in the CV, the more likely a close to or sub 1:15 will come. A 2-3 min variation in a half time is only around 10 secs per mile, which can easily be influenced by weather, the course or just how you feel on the day. Not wishing to question the big M's strategy, but if it's a numbers game, then perhaps throwing a few more numbers into the mix might make it more likely for you to hit a good day. (you could also experiment with not doing a 6 with strides the day before, just on the off-chanceimageimage). Hillingdon Half in a few weeks, fast, flat and local....

Anyone heard how Seb got on today by the way?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

that's why I did wonder if a marathon might be the suggestion, but I think the thinking is that "hammering" long distances isn't right at the mo. The big man said it'll come soon (as in good performances), but not to force anything. which sounds good to me.

M OFF  (and OFF work too.) image

T 3m

After some goon ticked the tens of us off for adding to the river, I knew I couldn't add insult to injury by trying to smash a number 2 out. I noticed 6 portaloos opposite me, then realised it was an unguarded entry to the elites...

covering my yellow number sheepishly it was odd, standing next to an Olympian, who I ridiculously greeted as "Mr Overall".

odd looking chap (he probably thought the same!)

• Options
    Stevie G wrote (see)

M OFF  (and OFF work too.) image

T 3m

Mine goes 10 with 6x1000, 15 miles, 10, 12, 5, Sat off 20@MP. I made up the last one as it should be 18 with 14@MP so have 2 miles to cut off other runs.

Dachs, you still up for Finchley?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

looks familiar Phil!

Because Lit is doing the inter counties Saturday, her sunday becomes 20m easy (at some race) The 14m MP is covered by today's HM race.

The V02 max reps become a rest day, and so the XC race covers that later in the week.

With her form, the last thing we want to do is over stack a week just to keep in with the letter of the law of the book.

There's still the 15m in there for the week.

• Options

Excellent report SG, and a time 98% of use mere morales just dream of... Again the same applies to Dachs time, but can understand the frustation at not getting the result you know your capable of... Also a great result Lit, don't know what time you where after, but certainly looks impressive to me.... 

• Options

Well done StevieG and Dachs - as others have said still excellent times despite not being what you want. I'll be interested to read what Moraghan comes up with, as it can be baffling trying to work out why some races go so well and others don't. Lits performance was really fantastic, great to see hard work actually pay off.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Morning all! Bluenose, I thought I could probably run 1:26:30, but hoped I might manage 1:25:xx. I didn't think I could sneak under 1:25, not even during the race, as although some of my mile splits were the right pace for it, that halfway marker was in totally the wrong place, as SG said. So I passed 'halfway' in 43:05 by my watch. I started to think it might happening when I passed the 800m to go sign with 1:21;xx on my watch, put on a tiny burst of speed into the stadium, and finished in 1:24:52, much to SG's and my own astonishment. image.

• Options

Wow, congrats Lit! So pleased for you!

• Options
    Stevie G wrote (see)

looks familiar Phil!

Lit ...The 14m MP is covered by today's HM race.

So 1:24.xx is 13.1 at MPimage

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Well, if I was shit I was going to pretend it was meant to be MP all along...

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Fantastic, Lit, just fantastic.  Glad to see at least someone had a stormer yesterday, and it makes those of us looking towards the wind as an excuse maybe think twice.  Really pleased for you.

I did say I'd write a full race report, but I'll just summarise instead.

The problem with the illness is where it left in terms of my pace aim.  I didn't want to entirely let go of the notion that 5:33 pace for 1:12:59 would still be on, but in hindsight it would have been much more sensible to set out at just under PB pace, so 5:41, and then increase if I felt good.  As it turned out, the first mile was about 5:25, trying to stick with PC2 and a clubmate, both going off the elite start.  Not a good idea.

Overtook the Great One about 2 miles in, going up the hill.  He was dropping like a stone.  I had planned to advise him to "use running style 12" as I went past, but since he was clearly struggling, and since I wasn't feeling awesome either and worried he might retake me at some point, I opted for some words of encouragement instead.

So, already feeling like it was going to be a bad day at 2 miles.  Kept on an OK average pace, went through 5 miles in about 27:45, and 10K in about 34:30, but started to really slow as I turned into the wind.  Up the hill at 7 miles was tough, but overtook a clubmate (a 2:32 marathoner) who had also been ill, and this gave me a brief second wind for a mile or so. 

But after this, every mile seemed to be slower than the last.  10 miles in 56:30, and a PB was still on, but then down the dual carriageway into the wind it all slipped away.  Last mile was quite possibly north of 6:00, I don't even want to look at it.  As always, the stadium finish inspired a couple of runners to outsprint me (god I hate that), and crossed the line in (I thought) 1:14:58.  Since I stopped the watch after I crossed the line to be on the safe side, I at least thought I had a sub 1:15 silver lining to a poor day, but no, even that was too much to ask, so I got 1:15:00 FFS.

I am hoping that it was genuinely the effects of illness and I haven't just massively overestimated my current ability.  But in truth, deep down, I suspected on Saturday I still wasn't 100% but just managed to convince myself otherwise.

Need to schedule a fast Autumn half now, can't leave that as is.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Just as well you weren't shit then! A sub three is a definite possibility now Lit...

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

By the way, PMJ, yes, I'm still doing Finchley.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Oi, stop pushing in image

Gosport Dachs?

• Options

Dachs, glad you managed some form of performance after the recent illness.

SG's post-race navigation is typical. Surprised he made it there tbh!

Very good MP effort Lit image

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Well done one and all but especially Lit on the Jurassic improvement! Excellent day out on many accounts by the sound of things.

Sounds like Seb had a very tough day at the office but is still in one piece.. just.