Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Grr, bloody firefox android! As I was saying, good luck with the pot hunt Stevie!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Must be a confidence booster beating 1hr29 halfers bus????.

In fairness James davis from Aylesbury did 1hr30 at reading and has 2x1hr15 halves.

Lot came out a fair bit slower at reading than usual
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

He's done some reasonable parkrun times to be fair SG. Besides, we all know a someone with a 1:30 half who has a 16;37 parkrun image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

no, that's someone with a 1hr 20 half, who ridiculously ran with an injury/stupid first mile who dribbled in at 1hr 30...image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dunno who youre talking about...

Good parkrunning Bus man.

6.6 for me this morning. According to the Garmin, the first mile was 4:27. That was easy pace, so on the basis of that Im revising my aim tomorrow and going for about 1:35 for the 20.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

image just need the beleife and it is all possyball...

• Good result Bus. Missedand.  yesterday. 

I was gonner run today but spending time with family before flying out. Plus a huge curry with friends last night. In the event I ran yesterday. 

I wish Bracknell was as flat as Switzerland's valleys. Hard to maintain a consistent HR with all the undulations. At least I was let off  the leash and allowed to 150bpm. 47mins, 7.5km. 147bpm avg. 

Didn't see your name at Parkrun yesterday Dachs. Mike Trees took the honours. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Hope all had a good running weekend.

14miler ends my post Reading half week.felt a bit leggy today.probably mot helped by adding the 2mile winchbottom clumb/hill midway.

7min miling for 7miles soon gave way and never came back.under 1hr40 for 14 is never bad though.

Good luck to the racers.i look forward to a lot of sitting about.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Just about to head out for an 8 (in the sun!). Will be my longest run for a month, so keeping my fingers crossed. 

Good luck all the racers-will be very warm for a 20...

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

ps nice long run Stevie! Wish I was in Switzerland Iron!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Keep going Phil, looking ok-ish, only another 14.9 miles to go.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/DSC_0440.png

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

15 minutes ago, Phil was here.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/DSC_0442.png

This other chap looked familiar. One minute back.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/DSC_0446.png

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

With around 5 miles to go, the Dachs man has sneaked past Phil.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/DSC_0447.png

And a minute later.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/DSC_0448.png

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

And for the final installment. 

With about 300m to go, our man in green is going ok.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/dachs.png

And two or three minutes later.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/Phil.png

The lads have run 20 miles. Me too, by car.

🙂

• Afternoon all,

The pot hunt was nearly called off after the food poisoning and only eating half a bowl of soup in 2 days, but expectations high I decided to run. I had 2 'slippery' pit stops before the race and after 2 strides puked on a fence. Obviously I wasn't feeling confident.

Race started and followed a guy I know from another club, me and him well ahead of 3rd until 7 where 3rd started to join in. I felt like death the whole race so decided to go s**t or bust, broke away, 2nd and 3rd got into their own battle and I ended winning by 30 seconds or so. Average pace was a 'steady' 6:15 ish, felt really slow and I was glad a fast finish wasn't needed. The event being run by friends was amazing and the prizes were decent too.

I'm now back on the couch feeling very sick and still unable to eat anything! Job done!

Come on Trafford lads... spill...

• Well done Stevie great win image

I ran Trafford 10k but crap at writing race reports so short and sweet

I came 75th, 2nd V45 in 33.34 negative splits of 17.01 and 16.33 1st race for 4 months so have to be pleased with that image race was stacked

Great to see and meet Matt and Maxpower (Michael)

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Very well done Stevie! Getting the race when, whilst evacuating from every orifice is pretty good going! Hope you managed to get through the prize giving without vomiting over everyone!!

8.5M in glorious sunshine for me this morning - lovely! 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Great races guys. 

That's some speed there rob, wish I had some.

After my antics with a camera this morning I went out hoping to do some half miles at speed and found I could only manage about half of that. Leg speed ok and felt strong but found anything around six pace too much.

Truth is I haven't been able to run properly for months, and the extra weight I'm carrying is a real bind.

🙂

• Great to meet Rob today. Took his advice from Team GB thread and came away with new PB of 42:26 (previous 44:15). Not bad for a big ex goalkeeper!

Got to say you couldnt get a better course. V slight up out and down way back made for positive splits (21:24/21:04).
  • Max great run well done image

• WAVA today 90.68% that's just for Phil image

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Well done today, Rob and Max and have seen Matt's result. Close to perfect conditions and a quality field. Saw you with 1k to go Rob and you were looking good! A few others I recommended this race to came away with PBs too! Definitely one to do if you are in the north-west.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • robT wrote (see)

WAVA today 90.68% that's just for Phil image

Nice one Rob. 90% is scorching. Show it to Samir.

Ric's pictures show the race pretty well:

4 laps of 5 miles each, first lap 6:15, second lap 6:16, third lap 6:30 and the death march lap at 6:42.

10 miles in 62:38, half marathon in 1:22:30, was never going to be pretty.

I should have put the brakes on early and settled down to 6:30 but it was nice rolling along and felt good so let it go. The half split is much more in keeping with what I had hoped for at Wokingham so the 20 doubled up as a hard half training followed by 7 hard miles with heavy legs.

Dachs was supposed to pass me at mile 7 if we kept to planned paces but he didn't pass until 12 and certainly wasn't where he wanted to be. 20 mile races are odd as a lot of people use them as training runs with odd split plans so in the second half there ere a few people coming past at high speed who were obviously out of kilter with the race.

The Hillingdon guy in Ric's photos joined me at about 3 miles and we were together for the next 10 miles or so when he dropped back. I had a bad spell at about 17 miles and he came back to me but I dropped him again before the end.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Cracking run RobT, 90% wava is a benchmark and half!!! I was half expecting you coming past me in the last km. congrats Max on the PB! 

Nice to bag the win there SS with the added pressure of claiming you were going for the win too. Hopefully it doesn't knock the stuffing out of you after racing while Ill. 

solid 20 milers to Phil and Dachs! 

A bit of a mixed bag for me today. Was hoping to PB and after some decent sessions recently I felt I had a chance. I did have a bit of a plan of getting to 5k around 16.10-16.15 and knowing it was ever so slightly downhill on the way in I was hoping to push on. 

I latched onto a group around 4k and tucked in and hit 5k in 16.17 by the course markers. Legs were starting to feel it when I hit 6k but my 4th mile was 5.14 so the pace was still there. That's when the wheels came off, wasn't in a group or anything as the 4th mile had seen me pull slightly clear. I then spent the last 4k or so dying a painful death. The people I'd gone past were now coming back past me. Mile 5 was 5.24 and then Helen clitheroe came past me with about a km to go I had the mentality that I'd given up, the pace certainly felt like it! 

With around 400 to go I hear shouts of 'go on Sonia!' I'd noticed I was 5.45 miling at this point but a sprint to the line saw me home just in front of her and gave me a 32.56. Exactly the same as RV10k and died towards the end just like I did there. 

I keep expecting improvements but it's only just over 2 years ago I entered my first 10k. Just don't want to start going stale. Salford is in 6 weeks or so to hopefully run a stronger race. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Still a great time though Matt - well done!

Very well done too Rob - great WAVA!!

Philip - sounds like a good effort. How did the weather affect you? What was your final time?

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Oh, and well done on the new PB Maxpower too!!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

So, Finchley 20 for me.  Plan was take it as a training run, with some 5 @ 6:45 followed by 15 @ MP 6:00.  Easy to break it up like that as its 4 x 5m laps. I'm afraid that it followed the theme at the moment of not going entirely to plan.

The 6:45s obviously felt like a stroll in the park. The first lap of MP was fine too, all felt OK.  By the time I went past PMJ, it was feeling more of a struggle, but contrary to his perception, I was still on pace (I think his view was coloured by the fact he was going too fast image).  But 10 miles of MP was done broadly to plan.  However, I had said beforehand that this was a training run, and I didn't have any intention of keeping pressing if it felt like it would take too much out of me, and at the 15 mile point that's precisely how I felt.  Started to feel more and more exhausted, and the pace slipped more and more.  Lapping people became a bit of a pain, as it would often be too narrow to do so, so that slowed me too.  MP section averaged 6:08, so 1 second off marathon PB pace.

Eventually finished in 2:05:32, so the last 5 miles I fell off pace badly.  I seem to be going backwards at the moment.  What the hell happened to the shape I was in 4 weeks ago?  I did a 20 with 12 @ 5:56 on my own about 3 weeks ago.  But guess I still have Reading in my legs.  I'll see how the next 3 weeks go before deciding whether I need to revise my ambitions.

Still, nice free t-shirt for a training run.

Nice pics Ric - I had no idea you were there, but in hindsight I did hear a couple of shouts with my forum name.  Cheers for the support.

6:47

6:39

6:48

6:40

6:33

---------------

5:58

5:56

6:07

6:02

6:00

6:02

6:00

6:03

5:58

6:06

6:06

6:04

6:15

6:10

6:26

6:28

6:14

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Great stuff on the win SS, good bit of local grandstanding.

Monumental stuff from robT, and Matt that's still a time I'd kill for.  Big PB from Max!

Well done PMJ, but a bit overenthusiastic early on!

• Well done Max on the PB!

Rob, a WAVA 90% is crazy good as is your time. The field was stacked again throughout I see.

Dachs, I know it might not make any difference but it's still a cracking training run! I recently read the training log of Steve Jones before he set the GB marathon record and his last 2 weeks worth of runs he consistently said he was in a terrible state and didn't;t know what was wrong, even the day before he said running easy felt tough. The fact is you're still gaining in fitness, plug on until the taper and hopefully your legs will come back to you.

Still not eaten, I feel so tight and bloated I'm like the geezer from Alien before than thing burst out his chest. The only difference being at least he had the enjoyment of a full meal before! Still basking in local glory though! Can't complain! image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Mental time generally Rob, let alone at 59 years old. Kudos old son! Mid 33s wow! I remember you scuffling in with some 34s, so that sounds right back to form.

Stevie, you said it was a race you should win, but well done for seeing it through after being ill! Top work, first race win?

Matt, sub 33, you guys make some of us feel distinctly pony!

Dachs, having felt pretty leggy myself on a 14 at easy pace today, I can't say I'm surprised you didn't cruise your 20!  (though I did do some tough 5k reps Friday, but still!)

We sometimes forget the cumulative build up, and like you say you did do a half a mere 7 days ago, and a 20miler, even raced in the fashion you mention isn't going to be a stroll. 3 weeks ago, you were probably fresher to say the least!

Jonesy boy, classic work with the low arm, and I suppose at this stage of a marathon campaign you need a 20mile "race" not to feel a world of misery, or the prospect of a 26er must feel a stinker!!

Ric, good photography skills, maybe a change of career ahead in 20years or so when you stop racing image

Had a rare Sunday long sleep, woke at about 6pm to find City had lost at home to Wigan in the cup. That's the kind of upset that shows why football will always be my first love.

Legs best get up for it quickly, as this week ahead is a 70miler job. 7miles MP, and 8x400 at 3k pace are the 2 sessions. One of those weeks you think, how do the miles stack up, but I suppose 4 doubles, a 12 and a 14 and it soon ticks up!

Hope the track is still around for those 400s on Friday. Looking forward to smashing those out.