Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Ran Northern 12 stage yesterday as I indicated no easing down in fact quite the contrary I trained as hard as ever!! I turned up at race with stiff quads and a sore ITB on left leg so plan to race tired was happening if I liked it or not.

Got there very early to cheer on team mates and decided to reckki the course that's the point where I realised that racing on tired legs was going to be a challenge as the course looked bloody tough!! (Oh I wish I was doing a short leg)

After watching the race decided to go off steady as it was obvious early on I would be running alone and with a monster hill after about 0.5 miles I'd better be careful!!

Worked hard but not flat out around whole race came out at 5.6 miles on garmin 630ft of ascent time 31.47 ave pace 5.43 pleasing thing for me was I ran consistent despite feeling tired and last mile was approx. 4.58 (mainly downhill)

My team where in 23 at end of leg 10 highest place B team and heading for qualification for nationals but alas our 11th leg runner went awol and we ended up as incomplete team don't know why but there was a lot of confusion at the start about legs 11/12 being a mass start and I think this caused the problem!!

Saw Matt race as always looked very strong and way faster than me!! Cheers for the shout Stevie See can't see you in the results?

11 miles this morning at 6.50 pace HR ave 148 legs still heavy but I was warned this may well be the case for 2/3 weeks just keep at it!!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Great run Rob, I could have done with tired legs today but couldn't go fast enough.

Saw PMJ at the Southern 12 stage today. I was blasting back into the arena at the time doing a blistering sub 6:10 pace, urkk!

Ok my excuse is being half a stone overweight and running less miles per week than I ran last summer each day. 

Anyway, I was only running a short leg which at just over 5k shouldn't be a problem. A couple of years back I ran 18:35 which seemed slow, because it was, but had managed to convince myself I'd go faster.  The power of the mind.

First mile, mostly uphill. No respite and I couldn't recover despite reining things in. Lets face it, if I eased off any more I'd have stopped. Garmin says 6:11. Next couple of miles generally downhill but lungs exploding and lactic acid killing all life in the lower legs, 6:06 & 6:03. Last bit on the track being the usual Garmin 'error of triangulation', 5:25 pace (more like 5:45).

19:24 for 5.053km. Only 3 minutes behind Jessica Judd. But only lost 2 places.

To put into context how crap a run it was, I fed the numbers into the WAVA and came up with 78.84%. This was a higher rating than when I ran a 2:46:51 marathon to win the Middlesex title (a mere 78%).

Proof. Marathons are crap!

🙂

• 12 stage for me too. Same course as RicF but the big boys get to do an extra lapimage

Our team was very weak this year so I was on a long leg (normally fastest 6 do long legs and slowest 6 short legs) and the plan was 5 mile sat 6 m/m pace and it came out as 6.01 or 6.02 so I'll take that. By the time I ran the runners were spaced (and that was only leg 5, but 16 miles into the race) and it was essentially a time trial. One runner on my schedule passed me but I had a big swarm of fast runners a full lap ahead pass me and sort of slid off them gently as a way of getting some pull along and steady stream of women to overtake as well.

Seeing as I couldn't walk on Friday with the gout I'll take that. Short week, 48 miles, so a big week, 68, next week before the taper.

Am I allowed to say SG had a really good day at Old Trafford today image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Was there a race at Old Trafford today? 

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Congrats on the relays chaps.  my team made it through to the nationals just need to get selected for it.  image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Evening all - some good tales from the relays to read. Had to speed read, as back late and very tired after a pretty full-on weekend on the FRA navigation course in Yorkshire, so will catch up properly at work tomorrow image. Great weekend - lots of fun and a lot learnt. Knackered now though after little sleep, good company, some good beer and lots of activity from dawn to dusk culminating in a 10k solo navigation exercise on the fells this morning, which was great fun.

• Big contrast Matt. Struggling to wipe the smile from my face!

Good efforts Rob, Ric & PMJ.

This part of the world is full of microbreweries doing the hoppy IPA thing. Currently enjoying a cheeky 6.5% Big Daddy IPA. This was in celebration of:

1. Destroying a huge American buffet breakfast
    2. Accidentally buying some Skechers running shoes whilst only going for a new pair of work shoes (buy one, 2nd pair 50% off). Beyond light.
    3. Running outside in the sun. I did have to buy a vest (American style, like a t-shirt without arms) and sun cream. Even though it was slow it was great. Sun is good for the mind and soul.

Off to the bar for a deep fried sandwich with fries. image

I have to say it's hard to keep up with the thread due to time difference. Like Bus above, I have to catch up with 24hrs update in one hit.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Good running RobT, Ric and Phil.

I did PO10 him Dean, that's what annoyed me about him beating me in a sprint. I'm around a minute quicker than him over 10k. Maybe I took it out of myself by closing the gap. Nevermind. Hopefully this foot problem sorts itself out so I can run at the nationals. I'm not the most optimistic with injuries and even less so with this one as it seems identical to the one that put me out for a 6 week spell.

I had an x ray, a scan, the works last time and never found the cause.

Phil, how often does the gout hit you? When I went the docs the other week due to being whacked all the time I got my blood tests back. Everything was fine but he said I'm likely to get gout at some point as he said me being dehydrated caused a build up of some crystals (forgot the name) in the joints. My father in law gets it quite bad every now and then.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Apparently my team had to disqualify themselves due to our last runner turning 'right' to the finish instead of straight on for another loop of the woods; Phil knows what I mean about the course layout.

No discussion about the inexperience and speed of our 'short course' runner. He hasn't been back running long and yet had the guts to put his name forward for selection when many others 'cried off', preferred to go shopping or mow their lawns.

With any one of half a dozen I could think of, we'd have qualified for the Nationals.

🙂

• What position do you have to come in the relays to qualify for the nationals?  Can't seem to find the answer anywhere?  Is it top 25, I think I remember that from somewhere.  Hope it is as our team came 24th in the midlands relays yesterdayimage

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Top 25 qualify for the Southerns. Guess its the same for the others. My team were in 25th place when the mistake occurred. Makes no difference, we wouldn't have qualified anyway. It needed a runner on that leg doing 5:50's at worst. 

And the guys who could do it were somewhere else.

🙂

• RicF wrote (see)

Apparently my team had to disqualify themselves due to our last runner turning 'right' to the finish instead of straight on for another loop of the woods; Phil knows what I mean about the course layout.

No discussion about the inexperience and speed of our 'short course' runner. He hasn't been back running long and yet had the guts to put his name forward for selection when many others 'cried off', preferred to go shopping or mow their lawns.

With any one of half a dozen I could think of, we'd have qualified for the Nationals.

That is not reflected in the results, says Harrow are 18th and so in the nationals. All the legs look about right: long legs high 20s and short legs high teens. It is a mess: I can easily see the confusion as it says two laps but it is one extra lap: the nationals are much easier as the long legs is a completely extra bit so for the marshals they just send all long leg runners out for the extra bit.

Matt3 wrote (see)

Phil, how often does the gout hit you? When I went the docs the other week due to being whacked all the time I got my blood tests back. Everything was fine but he said I'm likely to get gout at some point as he said me being dehydrated caused a build up of some crystals (forgot the name) in the joints. My father in law gets it quite bad every now and then.

So gout is uric acid which is something we all have. When you get an attack, the acid sets as crystals in the joints (typically big toe) and it is like needles inside the joint. For me, the foot blows up like a balloon.

Uric acid is controlled by three things:
    1) intake, so some foods have high purines that convert to uric acid. These foods include anchovies, herring, kidney, liver, mackerel, meat extracts, mincemeat, mussels, sardines, and yeast.
    2) production, so we actually make uric acid and things such as stress increase the production
    3) removal, so our bodies remove them and we need liquids to do so, so dehydration is bad.

There is no hard and fast rule for me as to frequency, usually maybe once a year but the previous attack was September and so 6 months is quite soon for me. There are drugs you can take but for once a year I won't take a drug every day. It almost comes as a reminder to me to take it easy, so heard training and hard work and no sleep is not good.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Iron- think i may have mentioned it before but i’ll never forget the last night of my honeymoon in SF. A long run from Union Sq, down to the Ferry building, along Embarcadero, through Crissy Fields before stopping on a little jetty at the base of the GGB as the sun set. Magical. Shortly after I hit a great little bar and bottle shop called City Beer Store down in Mission that has 15 keg lines. Worth a visit if you have the time

Sounds like you were in your element Bus. I’ve seen the hill profile on Garmin – i bet you were like a pig in sh1t! What does the course let you do? Enter fell races previously off limits?

Nice relays Rob, Ric, Dean, PMJ, Matt. Wish our club would enter – not sure why they don’t but sounds like a fun day out. I see that occasional poster Race Jase was part of the winning team at The Northern relays. Well done mate.

Nice progressive long run Dachs. almost there! One more long run?

And on the subject of marathon training and off the back of NYC ghalf at the weekend, here's an insight in Mutai's weekly training - lots of 8min/mile runs, only 2 speed sessions and a day off a week!

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/specials/boston-marathon/2012/04/13/how-geoffrey-mutai-trains-for-boston-marathon/ly49j27nrUdW4DW4lvCzUJ/story.html

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Johnas wrote (see)

And on the subject of marathon training and off the back of NYC ghalf at the weekend, here's an insight in Mutai's weekly training - lots of 8min/mile runs, only 2 speed sessions and a day off a week!

Sounds like exactly what I do! image

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)
    Johnas wrote (see)

Sounds like exactly what I do! image

sub 2:05 marathon awaits!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Must be one on the cards for me as well then image

The course doesn't give any sort of formal fell running qualification, but is put on by the FRA to help runners be less likely to get lost in longer races that do require some navigation skill. It's also aimed at mountain marathon events or when running in the fells for training/fun. It's subsidised for FRA Members and the instructors are all volunteers who are long term fell runners just wanting to give something back to their sport. Yesterdays solo route was not just hilly, but over very rough, complex ground to give a good idea of pacing over different terrain and navigating whilst moving fast (ish!).  It wasn't supposed to be competitive, but it ended up that way of course!  I managed to post the 2nd fastest time of the day, largely due to some good (lucky?) route choices to find the controls.

Gout sounds very painful Philip. Hope it clears up quickly.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

IC, those sleeveless shirts are known as 'wife-beaters'.

Where's SG then? football related absence related I reckon. Man U only just out of the relegation zone. Football fans, fs, fancy paying to watch someone work.

🙂

• Interesting article Johnas. As I said last year I am sure that the long runs in the hills are the main reason for the rapid improvements made by Matt (and of course a few rapid sessions).

RicF - when you questioned the MP session Stevie did last week my initial reaction was that he wouldn't post for at least 2 weeks. Looking like I might be right!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Matt - presumably you've been icing your foot? I've had metatarsalgia a couple of times and ice really helps.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Matt - I had metatarsalgia last yr and the physio gave me toe stretching exercises.. pulling them up towards you and then away.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Maxpower North West wrote (see)

RicF - when you questioned the MP session Stevie did last week my initial reaction was that he wouldn't post for at least 2 weeks. Looking like I might be right!

Could be right Max, but I'm not exactly the Spanish Inquisition.

🙂

• Re Mutai's 8 minute miling, since I've slowed my easy running from around 7.30mm to 8.00-8.15mm, I've been nailing my sessions better

Not sure if this is owing aerobic improvements, fresher legs - or both

If it's good enough for Geoff, its good enough for me!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    RicF wrote (see)
    Could be right Max, but I'm not exactly the Spanish Inquisition.

I wasn't expecting that....

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Cheers for the advice guys.

What has happened to SG?
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    LSH88 wrote (see)

Re Mutai's 8 minute miling, since I've slowed my easy running from around 7.30mm to 8.00-8.15mm, I've been nailing my sessions better

Exactly. No surprise to me. 

🙂

• RicF wrote (see)
    LSH88 wrote (see)

Re Mutai's 8 minute miling, since I've slowed my easy running from around 7.30mm to 8.00-8.15mm, I've been nailing my sessions better

Exactly. No surprise to me. 

Read that article properly, it is typical Lydiard and ricF is a big Lydiard fan. The slow miles are on his recovery days so e.g. Monday is a double recovery day with a 2 hour easy run and a 1 hour easy run. He has 3 hard sessions a week with a big 25 mile progressive run. Do your fast miles fast and your slow miles slow.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Phil, Such is the fun of training.

Average runners run their 'slow' miles way too fast and their 'fast' miles are just an exercise in enduring pain as they die on their feet, forcing the numbers.

A good example was how some runners in one of my clubs trained. It was pretty well as fast as they could go, all the time. In a race the pace was much the same as they managed on those runs. All one paced.

If you only want to run then just run. If you want to race then you need a change of pace.

Its been mentioned before. The avoidance of spending too much time in the in-between areas. An area of training grey that cannot be pinned down. Its why I believe you have to devise much of your own training. Know yourself and all that.

I was ok with the volume myself last year, but at the point I was moving the program into the intensive phase, I turned an ankle creating problems primarily with the ligaments but having a knock on effect leading to tendon problems.

So, time to start again.

🙂