Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• 9.5 miles at 9:43 average: parkrun tail runner. 52.45 for the week and 20 tomorrow to make a new biggest week ever.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Yep, good luck tomorrow Stevie, and any other racers!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That pips my biggest ever week by almost 2 miles Philip!

Back to double figures this morning image. Ten miles hilly xc. Bit of a mixed bag, as the pace was fine and I felt like I had plenty more left in the tank at the end, but it wasn't pain free by any means. Bit weird, in that at 5 miles in I could feel the old pain coming on and debated whether to give up and head home, but pressed on anyway. The discomfort came and went a couple of times, but with a bit of stretching it seemed not to be getting worse. At about 7 miles a handy argument with the owner of an Alsatian took my mind off it, and at it 10 miles was no worse than at 5. What to make of that?

Anyway, despite only just getting to double figures, I have now managed a four week block of 50 mpw. 

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Nice little outing down to Eastleigh for me today, along with Dachs, TT, Al_P and Scott E. First race since Frankfurt in Oct and with limited training post injury. Plan was to run 'naked' aka use Garmin as a stopwatch and run to feel. Happy with 34.32 considering and in hindsight, probably cruised it a bit too much so I didn't blow up, but a good opening marker for a summer campaign.
  • Indeed a good marker to lay down this early on Johnas.

20 miles this morning with Gade Valley Harriers on one of their training runs. Everything the 20 mile at Finchley wasn't: steady start, build up in the middle and blast the last 3 miles as I felt good. 2:20 and 7:00 average is not setting the world on fire but 20 miles done easily with miles at MP is always good. Now the taper.

73.61 miles for the week by the time cool down was done which has nudged me over 200 for March.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Well done Johnas - as you say, a good starter for ten, especially after the injury difficulties. Presumably pain free?

Good long miles Philip, and in a nice place to be ready for London now!

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Cheers and yeah, that's the most positive thing - pain free! Its been a long road
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Well run there Johnas. Something to work on and injury free. 

some decent miles this week Phil. What will your taper entail now? 

Bus, you're surely due a bit of luck on the injury front sometime soon! 

Bit of an uneventful week for me, rested mon, tue due to a sore foot, some easy miles on Wednesday, did a spinning class on Thursday morning instead of a speed session as I wasn't 100% about my foot. I then went to do a few easy miles on the treadmill, got carried away and tried a session but my legs wouldn't have it.

I had yesterday off too and 14.5 @6.40 pace I think today. Felt really fresh due to the 3 days off. Think I'm overcompensating with my foot so I'm landing on the outside and trying to keep the ball of my foot out of action. No repercussions as yet so hopefully things back to normal this week. Track session tues and Thursday with a bit of luck. 

• Nice efforts Johnas and Phil.

Matt - have you tried taping a flattened cotton wool ball under the ball (or in the case of my L foot, to the RH side). I find this stops the ball from taking the impact.

I've had some pains there for months, as my day to day shoes have deteriorated and I was using knackered running shoes.

7km in the wind/rain/hail/sunshine. Not a patch on last week's run in the Bay Area.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Good stuff Bus. Double figures is double figures innit?  It's all progress.

Promising run PMJ, sure we'll see another quality marathon from you.

Johnas, as I said, it looks like a pretty good run considering you've been out for a fair bit. Plus, everyone should be made aware that you have grown a proper wildman beard that must account for a third of your bodyweight.  Worth about 2 minutes I reckon.

Nice long stuff from Dean and Matt.

So, Eastleigh 10K.  When I entered, I had thoughts of sub-33, based on a short but sweet golden training period.  Well, that period disippated, and so I really had no idea what to expect, but thought a solid mid-33 would be OK.  Maybe a slight PB even (33:27).  Decided to just hit it hard and try to hold on.

Long warm up (almost 5 miles) with some Sub-3 threaders, and then into the start pen.  For a few frightening minutes I was standing right at the front of one of the South's premier 10Ks, but people started arriving, and I turned round to talk to Johnas, and turned back to find about 4 rows of people ahead.  WTF?

This led to a bit of a lethargic start, and had to weave through people a bit. Decided to follow one of the first ladies through the crowd, cos everyone lets a lady through innit.  Probably looked like a bit of a perv, as she wasn't exactly unattractive, so avoided this impression after about a kilometre.  At this point, I was feeling strong and picking my way through runners fairly consistently.  The 'hill', if it can be called such a thing was tough into the wind, and lost a bit of time, but was making up ground all the time.  Turned at the top of the hill into the long straight and kept the hammer down, felt like I was really motoring at this point.  Responded to the tough moments by increasing the effort rather than letting it slacken off, felt a lot mentally tougher than I have in recent races.

Turning back into the wind, I would have liked to take shelter in groups, but at this point I was passing almost everyone.  At 9km I pulled alongside my clubmate, who I would certainly not expect to beat, but he rose to the challenge and pulled away again.  Mustered as fast a finish as possible to cross the line in a new PB of 33:15.  First proper PB since the Autumn.

Warm up and warm down made a total of about 15.

Pretty pleased all in all.  Without the wind and without as big a training week (80 mile +), I think I could have snuck under 33.  A bit more emphasis on speedwork over the summer should see me under it nicely this year I hope.  And certainly gives me some confidence for VLM.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Great PB Dachs and agree there is better out there for you on non Mara training.

a very good return from johnas too

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Well done on the racing guys. With the Hillingdon HM being held again, the idea of entering this race or that appeals, at least on a local basis. Then I realise I have do some more running first. It becomes a habit not putting in the miles.

Not one to speculate on potential marathon finish times Dachs, but I would suggest setting off at six minute miling would prove too slow for efficiency. Actually, that 10k time would indicate low 2:30's, provided one has trained for the distance. As you have.

Four runners I know who have been in the 2:29 - 2:33 bracket. 10k's in the 33's if they were lucky.

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Ric, would it be wise for Dachs to have trained all winter with one target pace to change with only a few weeks to go?

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Well, my target pace range has always been reasonably flexible, and I wasn't planning to select a specific pace until quite late in the day.  However, 2:29-2:33 was certainly not in the range I was thinking!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Cracking run Dachs! A real confidence booster leading up to VLM. I also know one or two people with inferior 10k times to you Dachs who are aiming for 2.29. image
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

True Matt.  But I would counter that by saying that we all know someone with inferior times across the board who is aiming for sub 2 image

• Dachs wrote (see)

Well, my target pace range has always been reasonably flexible, and I wasn't planning to select a specific pace until quite late in the day.  However, 2:29-2:33 was certainly not in the range I was thinking!

The real pace calculation has to be done on the fly. All you can do beforehand is to pick a sensible target pace that gets you to halfway or further in reasonably good stead.

I am looking at halfway in 1:24 which is just inside 6:25 pace. If I hit that, I can do the second half in 1:26 (6:34 pace). If I can hold to 20, then I only need 6:44 pace for 2:50. If I can hold it all the way, 2:48.

• .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

Good racing at Eastleigh Johnas and Dachs! You should both be pleased after recent uncertainties. What your next target Johnas? That's quite a bit of speed during a marathon build up Dachs, especially at the end of a big mileage week! looking good.

Decent long runs Matt, Philip and Dean. I also managed a 15.5mile off roader which is my longest run to date, It's feeling more do-able every weekend.

Back to double figure eh Bus, about time!

Ric, I'm reading the Julian Goater book that you mentioned a whilst ago at the moment and finding it quite interesting. Only a few chapters in but he sure likes his hills and speed work I'd say.

Im getting some good miles in now (60 last week) and have started to add the hard sessions back in, onwards and upwards hopefully!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Seb, with the long runs and high mileage weeks, you are going to be on for a summer of BIG PBs!sanhoJ

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Ah, the weird backwards thing again! As I was saying...

Johnas, are yougoing to post a photo of the beard then???

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Seb, I've read the entire book. Interesting how much of the narrative was set around JG's defining moment at the National XC which he won by nearly two minutes.

Its a favourite area of interest of mine, how peaks are arrived at or even recognised as such, be it short term or long term.

Its such an inexact science that whenever someone claims 'I'm going for a pb in this or that race', I ask myself how the hell could they possibly know they are about to have the race of their life.

What they really mean is, 'I'll endure some discomfort for some races, but for this one I'm going to really hurt myself bad'.

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

ric, isnt that just targeting a race?  you set your training plan up with a view of being at peak fitness for a 3/4 week spell.  all the base work done, then all the speed work, then the reduced mileage and short pure speed work, then race.    i agree you dont know you will PB but if you are hitting faster times in training than previously you have a decent idea its on.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    The Bus wrote (see)

So, I have a beautiful newborn daughter and all you care about seeing is the 'wildman (?!!)' beard? I'm sure PMJ will be along shortly to post picsimage

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    That certainly rings true Ric, I've felt in decent shape at times but only hit a target time off the back of some specific training once and that was a sub 16 5k last summer.

Leeds was beyond all expectations where I didn't know where I was at and although I had solid runs at Trafford and RV10k they were short of what I was hoping for. What I know I don't do right is try to peak before a race, I seem to try to nail big sessions regularly instead of progressing week on week. Still very much wet behind the ears in that sense.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Johnas wrote (see)
    The Bus wrote (see)

So, I have a beautiful newborn daughter and all you care about seeing is the 'wildman (?!!)' beard? I'm sure PMJ will be along shortly to post picsimage

Yeah, all babies just look like Winston Churchill anyway (except to their doting parents of course!) but wildman beards are another thing altogether image

7.5M xc to the station this morning in the wet. It was a good pace and overall felt fine, but then the bloody pain came on again after 6.5M, so looks like I'm not making the progress I thought. 

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Johnas, post the beard, or I'll have to do an artist's impression.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Dachs wrote (see)

Johnas, post the beard, or I'll have to do an artist's impression.

YES! New avatar!

• Back from Oslo after a great weekend 3 good runs and tried XC skiing (Not for me I think!!) racing Arley 10k this weekend so last hard one tonight then 6,6,4(with strides) and 4 for me.

Great racing from Johnas and Dachs after injury (Johnas) and a little bit of self doubt (Dachs) but things going in right direction for you both image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Dean, you are correct. There's a slight difference between a target race and a lesser one, though in my case I never phased in such things. I just concentrated on the training and the races got in the way.

I really didn't have the time or inclination to play tactics with races. It was , 'be as good as I could be at any point in time, and accept it'.

Its the, "oh no! this is the race that I'm going to pb at, but I've got a sore throat and a calf pull". That's the daft stuff.

Welcome back Rob. I watching the Bi-athlon aware that you in there somewhere.

🙂