Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• I've only properly tapered once since coming back to running BMAF 5K and no one was going to beat me that dayimage and for good measure did my mile the following Wednesday so taper worked then picked up achilles injury and been chasing it since image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

My best peak (after the initial 18 months training) came after I'd packed things in for 18 months. I'd trained for seven years getting nowhere so assumed I'd already seen my best.

Started up again and went ok for 12 months but still nothing special, then after a 12 week 'off' which caused a weight loss, I had a race and suddenly found an ability to run at sub 5:30's, what!

Smashed every pb I had over the next 18 months. 

Its for this reason I don't believe that calculated formulaic schedules are the whole picture. I'd give them 97% at the very best.

🙂

• Johnas wrote (see)

So, I have a beautiful newborn daughter and all you care about seeing is the 'wildman (?!!)' beard? I'm sure PMJ will be along shortly to post picsimage

As the joke goes: "You have any saucy pictures of your wife? No! You want some?"

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

im going to need a decent explanation for those arm guards johnas image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I thought it was nice of the bloke next to him to distract from the beard by wearing a headband.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

wtf... i was promised an artist impression.

dachs - that headband would of looked better on me, Dean Lacy stylee

dean - is being a southerner good enough?

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

well im from Devon so no, being a southerner is not good enough reason.  and i've just noticed you are sporting them in your avatar too.  probably in the height of summer no doubt. so your affliction appears habitual.  outrageous.  image

i do admit a headband would have looked the business though.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Wow, just wow! 

(Dachs are you absolutely sure that is Johnas, and not some bloke ten years older pretending??)

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

ps, I am just jealous as I shaved my first (rather hippyish) beard off at 17, immediately got asked my age in an off licence, toyed with the idea of trying again until now when it's not only socially acceptable, but positively encouraged to grow one but I'm too late, as it would be almost totally grey!

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Beards are for real men.  That's all I have to say on the matter.  image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

and for circus ladies....image

• Good racing boys! And even better beards!

Didn't run Wilmslow as I felt a bit under the weather and I decided to enjoy my friends wedding on the Friday and have a few drinks.

Did 15 x 300M in 60s last night and felt sick for most of it due to cramps. But this was due to poor eating choices before the session.

Chester Spring 5 next if any northern lads are doing it. I WILL turn up for this one image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Johnas wrote (see)

wtf... i was promised an artist impression.

/members/images/675323/Gallery/The_Beard.jpg

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

F'ing brilliant. image  image

You really are in the wrong job.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Tell me about it.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

can't stop laughing

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Now the rest of us will be jealous. image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Very good Dachs! Do you use your artistic skills to wow the inspector at Inquiries?image

I'm in a bad mood now image. Ran at lunch time, it was supposed to be a ten, but the old pain came back after 6 miles or so, so I cut it back to the minimum to get home, which was 8.  Turning into a bit of a saga! What I just don't get, is why run frequency and speed appear to make no difference, but going beyond a certain distance in a single run sets it off.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    The Bus wrote (see)

Very good Dachs! Do you use your artistic skills to wow the inspector at Inquiries?image

No, I use my boyish charm instead.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Its muscle recruitment Bus. Your muscles fibres don't all come into play at the same time, they do so progressively.

This means you can train up to 5 miles easy as you like every day. But if you try 7 miles, you'll notice it.

One reason why long runs are needed for the marathon. You have to run for two hours before you get to the fibres that only wake up (grudgingly) after that time.

The info is 25 years old so I'm only repeating it. 

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Talking of beards. How about the whiskers on this brute? 

/members/images/493151/Gallery/Copy_of_DSC_0194.png

The one on the left has quite a few too.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

What a boar!

I've heard of muscle recruitment, but not really put two and two together on the injury front! Does that mean it's only when a certain number of muscle fibres come into play the pain starts, and if so, what does that say about the nature of the injury and treatment? Presumably it confirms it's muscle related rather then tendon or ligament at least.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, its supposed to be a very localised lactic acid build up. That's why the pain (usually a horrible dull ache) comes on after certain fibres have reached their endurance limit.

Its really a case of training through it, but not so the pain is really sharp. Bits of scar tissue doesn't help, and a good deal of discomfort is caused by the circulation trying to force itself through awkward gaps.

Ligament damage will hurt all the time, (18 months to fix). Tendons can creak on and off for maybe six months. Muscles are faster to heal. But its the mess left behind after injuries that cause a lot of problems.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Cheers Ric, that's reassuring. I did wonder about potential scar tissue, as this is something you've mentioned before. Pain and discomfort I can deal with, but training through it and making it worse is my biggest fear. 

• Sorry to hear Bus. Thought this one was cracked.

45mins easy run. Getting imperceptibly faster for a given HR. Obviously improving.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, the pattern of recovery from the 'text' read that 'the discomfort appears after a set distance and remains at a level for the rest of the run'. On subsequent runs, the discomfort appears later and later and then at a less uncomfortable level.

Subsequently you get to the stage where you finish the run before the discomfort appears. Now you're winning.

It's recommended that the longest training run in your program is taken care of before ramping up the speed.

🙂

• That picture is amazing! Do you take request Dachs!? image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Stevie see - the Wirral mile is now on sunday 11th may and not mid June on a Wednesday as last yr.