Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Got my flights booked for a parkrun pavement PB

Luckily / shame they don't go on PO10 with that!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Ok then, running low on carbs. Doesn't need a marathon wall to find that one out. Just keep operating in the intensive zones and you'll wipe them out.

Problem is once you have, you'll need to keep your foot off the pedal and ingest 300 grms a day for a week to store enough for a half decent session.

Lots of runners that I knew would blast off every day, go well for 10 minutes then go flat. That's what happens when you eat less than 100grms of carbo per day and still want train hard.

Solution: Save it up and only do 5% of the week burning glycogen. 

Having high levels lets you run faster, despite the extra weight of all the water stored with it.

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

bus - i think you are right.  throw in the fact i ate a venison cassolet last night rather than some normal carb pasta too.  mind you overall it was still a 7.06 ave pace over the 15m, so even though i crashed it still was a decent enough session.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

As you say, still a good pace overall!

Lovely run this morning - warm and sunny, off-road, very hilly and managed 11 miles at a steady pace, with just a bit of mild discomfort at the end. Pleased with that, especially the day after a parkrun - hopefully beginning to turn a corner!

• Supposed to race today but whimped out cold took hold on Saturday felt dizzy during run and ended up having a crap sleep coughing most of the night got up ready to race at 6.50 and my wife said "you're not racing are you!!" Preceded to get ready but felt crap even put HR monitor on HR 72-75 at rest normally mid 50's background headache and finally took (I hope) the right decision not to race even more disappointed as conditions almost perfect image

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Nice little run out at Paddock Wood half marathon for me today. Far from HM fit with only a handful of runs at that distance since December so opted to pace a handful of club mates at 6.10 m/m pace.

Unfortunately, 50% went off far too fast only for me to pass them all at various points of the race, whilst the rest that started with me couldn't hold on further than halfway.

Got to 10 mile point bang on pace but on my own so ran the last 3 miles at around my HM PB pace and it felt good passing vests rather than being passed. Couldn't have ran a whole HM at that pace though so guess it's time to start getting the long runs back in to my training
  • JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Wise decision Rob.

Lovely day for it Bus
  • Good decision Rob, you can't race when you know, and your body is telling you you're ill. Plenty more coming up - Crewe 10K, Spring 5? Dunno about perfect conditions, think it may have been too hot for me. I ran 11 today at midday and I was all kinds of trouble.

• Very wise decision Rob, you don't want to end up like me! image

(still lurkingimage )

• Was a lovely day. Easy hour. Hi Nikki. 

• literatin wrote (see)

Ever wished you hadn't said anything?  It was a reference to PMJ's habit of following women's arses in races about 5 pages ago. Grr.

Nikki G wrote (see)

Very wise decision Rob, you don't want to end up like me! image

(still lurkingimage )

Update please Nikki, I thought about you today as I was checking up a few names and numbers and wondered how it was going.

• ahead, horrah!

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3701/13499972374_6f2261352a_b.jpg

overtaken, boo!

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7356/13499952814_ae3cca133f_b.jpg

working hard at the end

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7231/13503762655_de0edba3dd_b.jpg

the ugly truth

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2902/13503759605_b6a88100e9_b.jpg

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Hello Nikki - how you doing??

Wow -those pics of me are the best advert for fuzzy low resolution cameras I've seen. I never look good in running photos, but those are something else image

Good choice Rob - always another race.

Johnas - sounds like you could have blasted out a pretty decent time at PW if you'd put your mind to it!

• That face tells it all PMJ. Well done.

Put some effort in Bus!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Looks like I needed a poo!!

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

what ever happened to butthead?

/members/images/496080/Gallery/pmj.jpg

• I'm doing not too badly thanks guys! Trying to keep my head up.

Arm/shoulder progressing... as well as fracturing it I've ripped most of the ligaments and my rotar cuff, so I'm basically rebuilding a whole new arm (never do anything by halves, eh!!) But it seems to be progressing quickly so I'm pleased with that.

Had a few cardiology tests done and now just very impatiently awaiting results. Not due to see consultant until June, which I'm not too happy about, so trying to speed up the process a bit.

Missing running, but coping better than I thought I would, and managing to do some weights still, so not a complete lost cause image

• Good luck with the shoulder. Stay away from the pool for a while. Mine still hurts if I sleep badly, after separating the shoulder MTBing.

• Johnas wrote (see)

what ever happened to butthead?

/members/images/496080/Gallery/pmj.jpg

Just googled Beavis:

"He also has a habit of picking his nose. He is the more excitable of the two; despite his obliviousness to what should be obvious, he is prone to moments of insight. Beavis has a tendency to consume large amounts of sugar when upset or fed up."

Beavis is definitely a runner, the sugar cravings are a give-away.

As for Butt-head: " Beavis and Butt-head have a jaded, violent, and at times borderline sadistic relationship."  I guess Beavis lost it and Butt-head is in a ditch somewhere.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I'm thinking Stevie G as Butt Head then.  There, that ought to pull him back in... image

Good parkrunning chaps.  I have to say in the photos, you don't look like you're moving very fast.  I am sure that was not the case though.  Good work Johnas too, you'll be back in the zone soon enough.

Slow 15 for me yesterday.  I had a rest day Saturday (first one in March I notice, looking back), and I always seem to be sluggish after a rest day.  Given that, I am intending to run every day up to the marathon, even if most of those days will be very short and very easy.  It seems to do me good.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

So who are you saying is Beavis then?

Nikki - certainly sounds like you did a proper job on that arm!! Stay strong and positive....

Typical with the consultants! My wife has been waiting for an appointment that was classed as an emergency originally for about 4 months. I do sometimes wonder about the NHS! For example, my son tripped up and knocked himself (very briefly) unconscious yesterday! Apart from being shook up, he was fine about half hour later. Because he'd had a convulsion though, we erred on the side of caution and phone NHS direct. They immediately sent a community responder paramedic round. Fair enough, can't be too careful with a head injury.  He concluded the same as us, that he was fine but needed to be monitored just in case. However, NHS rules mean he has to have a second verification, so we had to wait, togtether with the first paramedic, for two more paramdics to trun up, go through the whoel checking process then agree with each other!  Good service from our perspective, but tying up 3 paramedics for over an hour can't be a good use of their time!

Anyway - lunchtime session of 6M with 2 x 5 x 0.25M on a field off 60 secs, with 2 mins between sets. Came out as 1:19, 1:20, 1:19, 1:19, 1:18, 1:18, 1:17, 1:19, 1:17, 1:18. Happy with that, but would have liked a bit more time to squeeze in a few more reps. No groin pain, but left hip a bit niggly so will add in some extra OTB stretches to head it off at the pass!!

• Dachs wrote (see)

I'm thinking Stevie G as Butt Head then.  There, that ought to pull him back in... image

Close, but the sideburns need shaving off.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-sUkYDYHZ6Wc/Uzl3YSqgYsI/AAAAAAAAAx4/tHd9OdVPj_I/s310/bh.jpg

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Hello? ..........
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Would the last one on this thread turn the lights out please image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

We need a marathon or something.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I suspect there's been a shift to 'Team GB', but if something occurs, I'm sure we'll have something to light the place up again.

Mind you, I'll confess my own training contributions don't help. It has never been my habit to tell anyone what training I'm actually doing at the time I'm doing it.

I'll do a block of training and then see how it pans out. If it works, then I might have something useful to impart. If not it would simply become a daily dose of 'wot I did today', me me me.

The last thing anyone wants to hear from me is that kind of thing. My wife gets enough of that at home.

🙂

• Dachs wrote (see)

We need a marathon or something.

If you look at events in general, the cross country to road running season does take a pause at this time of year: don't know how this interacts with the spring marathon campaigns or not. The track season is certainly picking up  and the first SAL fixtures are 19th April and open evenings will soon be in full swing with the extra hour.