Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Hey folks,

Sorry for disappearing for a week or so. Been madness, last week of term, meetings, parents evenings x 2 and a job interview/presentation/lesson observation. All this sent me under and I felt really ill from Tuesday so stopped running.

So, well done to Bus who cracked the dreaded 'quickly getting slower' parkrun positive split syndrome!

Rob, how did you do yesterday?

Chester spring 5 next mid-week for me so the coming week is about fine tuning and doing some shorter sessions.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Ss, hope you recover quickly along with all the other poorly people on this forum/thread.

Its under estimated how much stress can affect our health. In the case of runners its enough to simply make them run slower. 

🙂

• I actually typed a long report and it didn't post so sorry I can't be arsed now 

team came 16th I ran leg 10 in 14.32 (2.7 hilly miles) 5.21 mile pace didn't disgrace myself thank God struggled with breathing a little but not too bad!

Met philpub he was way faster than me and a good guy image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Happens to me that, RobT. Hit the space bar at the wrong moment and lose the lot.

Btw, good run. I could do with some pace of that nature, at all.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Cracking pace Rob. Shame about the post!!

Stevie - hope that's just a blip? Easter holidays should help!

12.2 hilly off-road tonight. Pretty slow with tired and slightly sore legs, but got round and felt OK at the end. Made it just shy of 58 miles for the week, which is my biggest week for a while. Also meant that, despite the lack of long runs, I've got a 6 week spell of 50+ weeks under my belt going into a few weeks of regular racing. Easy week this week....

• I've caught Rob's man flu! Just a cough and yucky chest with the usual runny nose. Should clear soon enough. Think it was that blast to my immune system with all the stress of the last week. Seem to get under the weather a lot this year. But work is far more pressured and longer hours than previously so it all takes it toll.

Bus, on the quiet that some good consistent running.  No better than me. Jan, Feb, March have all been circa 200 miles. Nothing spectacular but sometimes the lower volume allows improvement... or so I'll keep telling myself.

2 easy ones today, choice of location, couch, eat when/what I want... bliss!

Rob, Dean, Spring 5 next week?

• Stevie I want to just trying to work out how to fit in with family commitments !

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

good work at the road relays rob. 

no spring 5 ...still cant run due to piriformis but im in with the physio on wednesday 

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

I take it everyone has quit running then?

So Lit, Dachs & PMJ, how are you all feeling? Taper going well?

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Gone quiet on here again!

Good luck with the physio Dean

My latest niggle seems to be some sort of calf/achilles thing in the left leg, possibly as a result of ramping up the hills and steps. Only minor discomfort at the mo, but need to be careful as I've a full programme of races coming up for the rest of April!

Saturday - Coledale Horsehoe fell race (8.5M 3000ft)

16th - Loughrigg fell Race (4M,1000ft - cheeky evening race!)

20th - Anniversary Waltz fell race (11.5M, 3600ft, very tough, but enjoyable race but only a VERYslim chance of doing it as a. It'll involve a 90min drive before and a six hour drive after, b. I'm probably not fit enough to do well c. the rest of the family might mutiny! and d. it might screw up the next couple of races! but, it is a nice race.....)

21st Beaconsfield 5M Trail race

27th - Ridge Off-Roader 10k (hilly trail race)

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Cross post Johnas!

• Still running, still cycling. Not much to report. 

Have decided to do the A-race that I'd planned. Still unsure on complete vs compete but it'll be a nice weekend out. 

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

That's a hell of a schedule Bus.  An idiosyncratic response to a niggling injury - race up and down a bunch of hills.

Johnas - nerves are starting to set in. Will hit the expo tomorrow, and will probably start really sh***ing myself after that.  Feel a bit more nervous about this one than Abingdon, probably just as it's a bigger event.  I've been convinced to join in a group setting off at 2:36 pace.  Probably at the top end of the paces I would consider, but if there's a good group working together it'd be silly not to go with it.

• Love it Bus... "I've got a few niggles so I'll run every mountain I can find!" I should really join you for a few fell races but it's hard to know where to dip my toe in.

20 x 200m off 45 tonight. Was a up and down session with reps from 33 to 38. Most around 36ish. Felt quite disco ordinated (that hyphen makes that word odd!) and like the pace was too close to top speed. But it blasted the cobwebs, so job done.

Some tasty K reps on Thursday or 4 x mile. See how the wind/condition are.

I'm super excited for London, it like the super bowl for me. Plus some of you lot are running and I have club mates involved! Hope you're all resting well and relaxed. Keep looking at your training logs to remind yourselves of the graft you've put in! Stay confident guys!

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I'm having a lovely taper, thank you, Johnas. Sure you don't want to turn up and knock out a quick 2:59 just for the laugh? We could just not tell your coach.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Don't worry - daft as it seems, I find that racing on the fells is no where near as hard on the legs as racing on the road (afterwards!). All down to the slower leg turnover and variety of pace and terrain I guess, and of course there's not the pressure to race as hard in the first place chasing a PB - more to enjoy it! Felt good on the run home tonight too once warmed up.

Stevie - "disco ordinated" sounds like you were doing those reps in a Travolta-esque white suit! Come to Loughrigg next Wednesday - ideal first fell race!

The excitement is starting to build for London! I've already booked my place on the sofa for Sunday morning image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Dachs, if in doubt about the pace of 2:36 being too fast, just halve it. 78 minutes for a half! easy.

Had a discussion once with a runner who seemed to be able to run HM pace for twice the distance, how?

A two hour long run every week for years was one answer, the other was the confidence that his training was good enough to simply blast the course the whole way.

On the other hand I know a runner who once ran 2:23 and was disappointed he didn't break 2:20. I suggested that only doing a couple of long runs of no more than 18 miles might have had some bearing on that result.

He disagreed, issuing that 'get out' clause that lots of 'advice resistant' types come out with. "I'm still faster than you, so what do you know about it".

Well he was. About 20 years ago.

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

managed a 6m at 7.10 pace this morning.  no pain but very tight towards the end.  no way i could have accelerated into stride pace.  physio today

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Good luck for Sunday Dachs, lit and phil.

I'm sure you could nail a 2.36 Dachs, a running pal of mine has just ran 2.37 at his first attempt. In his late 30s and not sure he's broke 34 for 10k yet. Certainly makes me want to have a go. Part of the reason being I can follow a training plan instead of the any old fanny scheduleimage

A bit fed up already this year of picking 10k sessions to do with no real structure. Found a plan that after Salford I will try and follow for 3/4 weeks before Manchester 10k.

Hope the injury gets sorted Dean.
  • Dachs I'll look out for you at London I'm coming down to watch and feeling excited myself about that, one of our group is running but a lot slower around 3.30 pace but he won't commit himself he was a 2.35 man at his best 25 years ago!!.

Good session Stevie and as always you amaze me that after a couple of issues recently you step onto the track and blast out 200's- the session I think that tests the body and finds out any niggles!!

Dean good to see you managing a decent steady hope physio sorts quickly.

Matt - you say you have no structure is there no one in Blackburn who could help tweak your schedule as I'm sure that's all it needs don't be worried about asking the older boys or faster guys for advice remember runners largely love to talk about running!!

RicF how's your running going?

The Bus great race schedule but watch those injuries, old man!!

Lit have a great one Sunday and I'll try and look out for you image

I'm back into full training again after chest infection and the weekends race did a 10mile threshold run last night in 58.43 (ave pace 5.52) HR bang in zone ave 154, 45 min threshold planned tonight and the session Thursday image

Could all London marathon runners post there numbers so I can lookout for as I love seeing people who I know no matter how I know them image

• Running is highly non-linear at marathon. Up to 20 miles you are fine, 20 to 26.2 is a different world altogether. As with a lot of other runners in the 80s and 90s, 6 minutes per mile was the benchmark. Sub 60 for 10, sub 2 for 20, did all those, but never nailed the sub 2:40 marathon simply because I didn't do the long runs. I looks easy, get to 20 in 2 and home in 40 minutes, haha.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

So people ARE still runningimage

Bus – busy race schedule that. You’re right on the enjoyment factor though – increasingly my race plans seem to revolve around chasing PBs and I think I’ve lost touch with racing for fun and enjoyment. I think there’s a lesson there in your post for me.

IC – spill the beans. A Race? Is it one of those triathalon thingies?

Dachs – If I compare where you are to where I was at Frankfurt, we both PB’d at 10k with the same time weeks beforehand and were in best shape ever. The big difference is that you’ve trained for the marathon and have the distance in your legs. And if you can hop aboard a pacing group train, I think you’re right to aim high. Trust your training.

SS – Looks like we’re in the same training regime. Only 5x 200m for me at the weekend but it was post 6x 1k. God I hate 1km reps @ 10k pace at the moment. Not sure how I’m going to string 25 laps together at Highgate 10000m!

Lit – I have been given approval to run half. I really want to experience the whole Champs start and as I’m meant to do a 90 min run anyway on Sunday, why not do it as part of VLM? So, I’m happy to run with you to halfway as I don’t think you’re going to need ‘pacing’ that distance. Bear in mind though I’m going to have to wear a rucksack with a change of clothes in for when I do a ‘Farah’

RicF – hope you’re well fella. How’s your running?

Dean – if it’s any consolation, physio for that injury works wonders. Fingers crossed it gets sorted soon mate

Matt – as mentioned above, I’m deep in 10k training so feel free to nick any of my Garmin sessions if you’re looking for inspiration. Was considering doing that Manchester 10k myself – would be a good weekend away I reckon.

Rob – Photo below of me in club kit so you can look out for me. number 655 image

/members/images/496080/Gallery/the_beard3_0.jpg

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

x-post PMJ. Couldn't agree more! I trust you're in fine fettle for Sunday

• Johnas I thought your friend wasn't doing London as his coach had said no!image

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

he's been allowed to run half and will be ducking out just after Tower Bridge and going to the pub image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I probably could do with some pacing help to stop me going off at a suicidal pace at the start, actually, if my piss-poor attempt at pacing 2 miles at MP this morning is anything to go by. Just need to decide if I can bring myself to run - and potentially be photographed - next to a bearded rucksack-wearer.

Rob - #258.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    That sounds like a proper Sunday long run Johnas. Soak it all up with no pressure of racing and still part of the event.

RobT, I've not trained with Blackburn once since I joined last September. Haven't been able to get to the sessions on the Tuesdays and I normally do the longer rep stuff on Thursdays at my local track whereas theydon't seem to do the volume I'm after.

I don't think they've got a certified coach as such and nobody willing to sort of mentor individuals. My own fault really in not sorting myself out and doing it myself.

Bus, I did say I was going to stay off the fells this year but I'm finding it hard not to have a crack at a couple. It's defo different to the roads as the pressure is completely off as you race on feel. I've got Snowdon race in July so going to have to start doing the hill work after Manchester.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

johnas.  you have given me an idea for future yrs...just race the half..mo style.  i think there is an official half way gantry to get an official time.  plus gunning at it aiming for 72 or lower in the VLM will put me nicely up the front end ish of the non elite race.  all the atmosphere too.  hmmm.  maybe next yr.

Physio now thinks its not piriformis but a back problem.  which causes tightness in the hamstrings/glutes.  massage and ultra sound treatment today.  incidently i have no pain in the back but maybe tightness is causing the injury to manifest itself elsewhere.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

Just need to decide if I can bring myself to run - and potentially be photographed - next to a bearded rucksack-wearer.

i may stick a headband on and arm warmers too. i'm sure that'll make it far more acceptable. You can claim to be my carer if that helps?

Dean - good luck. good to have a diagnosis though - first step to recovery

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Dean, I am only an occasional lurker, so don't know the full background to/cause of your issue, but I thought I had sciatica/piriformis issues recently which turned out to be a misaligned pelvis (sacroiliac joint), which had the knock on effect of causing my back to tighten up as well as causing both a glute and hip flexor strain/tear. My quads had also started to lock out because of the other muscles locking out. Like you I never really noticed any pain in my back (or quads), just a bit of stiffness. My osteo, as well as realigning and massaging me, has told me to take hot baths and use hot water bottles on the affected areas as much as possible, so maybe that may help you too.