Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

A glorified taxi if ever there was one. 

Running then. 5 miles for me early on, 38 minutes. 

Having spent the last six months getting rid of a sore ankle/achilles, I fancy taking things easy for a while. Simply enjoy going for a run without having to manage pain.

My next race is the Staines 10k on May 18th. I also have an entry (so I believe) for the London BUPA 10k. A strange race that one, seemed to be a fast course but last year I couldn't do anything on it. Too many people getting in the way.

Spending over 30 minutes constantly having to put the brakes on, slowing, waiting for a gap, accelerating & changing direction. Adds up. Must have lost a minute.

🙂

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I don't know anything about cars. Is that one good?

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Lit, hi.

Type Mercedes Benz S-Class (top gear) HQ  into Google and see what Clarkson has to say about it.

Unfortunately, most of the gadgets he mentions are optional extras. Which I don't have. No matter, what I wanted was a sofa on wheels.

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

My sofa already has wheels (well castors technically...)

Day off today image

Might do Staines myself Ric, if I don't head off to the Lakes again that weekend. Might be sold-out by now though I guess image

• Options

bus, Staines is sold out

Matt3 wrote (see)

Probably a good call by Phil you knew knew the target may be slipping, you can always live to fight another day instead of smashing the body for a result you're not satisfied with. Any plans to do another this year Or even this spring?

No plans for another marathon ever at the moment.  I have done a few recently and got 2:50:28 and it seems that I am unlikely to better that. I sort of had a plan to run a sub 3 aged 50 using this year as a GFA entry but now I'd have to run another qualifying marathon and all that faff to hit about 77% WAVA just doesn't turn me on. If I plot WAVA vs distance I see where I do best and a sub 3 marathon aged 50 is the same as a 1:26 half or a 39 minute 10k and those are not figures to be proud about.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-HwvyreE9_0I/U00d68uS0xI/AAAAAAAAAzg/UaUTyRMjC6s/s1152/wavaVsDist.PNG

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Know the feeling about not running another marathon Phil.

Along with other areas of discussion with (AW) on Sunday, was the matter of running a Marathon. Result, nah, too far, too much mucking about training for it. 20 miles then? Still too far. Half Marathon then? possible but the last 3 miles are crap. 10 miles? Yes that's far enough.

What a coincidence. 10 miles. My current furthest race distance. Better than that, 10k's & 5 milers, parkruns & road 1 milers.

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Never say never Philip. How about a sub 3 at 60 for a good WAVAimage

Shame about Staines, but I couldn't have entered earlier anywayand may still go away that weekend (if I can get a pass!)

• Options

bus, thing is that as I get older I notice I am loosing consistency as well as basic pace. If I look at the XC this year, http://www.tvxc.org.uk/results/runner?runner_id=1275, then I see a 27th place amongst a load of high teens and low 20s. If I look at parkrun, I have a set of solid runs and few dogs, if I look at 10ks then last year I ran a few low 37s and a few outside 38. With these short races, I can have a bad one and no matter, but a marathon is a big investment and if you blow it then it is a lot down the pan. Something like 5k, I am fairly sure I can go sub 18 once this year, but not every race, and I don't know when it will be.

• Options

Bus, come and do the Manchester 10K with me on the 18th instead!! image

5 x 1KM @5K pace (90 seconds recovery) - wasn't great session nor a terrible one. Form was good but legs didn't;t quite have the zip or power in them. Forgot how hard this pace zone is to hit. Reps came out as 3:26, 3:27, 3:30, 3:31, 3:29.

Didn't help having such a small groups with a load of clueless youngsters in who rattled out 78 for the first 400 despite having 3K PBs of around 10:30! Nobody to run with so sat behind the lead 3 and well ahead of the rest of the pack.

Our lads in the fast group were doing 2:49 reps! Sweet Jesus! image

• Options

Come on Phil. You can see that there is insufficient data at anything other than 5k and 10k. Get some more data and we may just believe you. image

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Tempting Stevie, tempting!  Looks a pretty good session to me that one by the way!

Philip - true, true and exactly why I really don't want to do another marathon (at the moment). I'm beginning to think that Ric is probably right with the 10 milers - certainly that's where my best results have been!

Interestingly, a local 'rival', Simon Sikora, who I'm normally close to (5:4 to me on head to head), but who whooped me big time yesterday also won a 40 mile trail race last week! As far as I can tell he has no history of ultras, and blew up at Abo, but for the 40 did a very good time for an off-road ultra of just over 5 hours - respect!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Good result on the 5000m ric.

Stevie see - agree with bus that session looks good to me.

i had an unusual session today 20*400 target 5k pace off 1 min rec.   I wasn't happy about it, as I preferred to do a 8*1k session but coach didnt relent.  Although it was 8k in volume it's a decent 5k session.  My 5k pace is 74 secs but I was running with a 14.40 man so I took turns leading the reps with him. Ended up with a 71.4 ave rep which if you use that ave pace to calculate a 5k prediction it is a 14.53! So was a hard session.  And in case of any doubt I am NOT suggesting I'm in that sort of shape for christleton image

• Options

That's quite a session Dean. A tricky choice between 400s and 1ks. At least with 400s don't last long!

2:49/km SS? image

• Options
    The Bus wrote (see)

Interestingly, a local 'rival', Simon Sikora, who I'm normally close to (5:4 to me on head to head), but who whooped me big time yesterday also won a 40 mile trail race last week! As far as I can tell he has no history of ultras, and blew up at Abo, but for the 40 did a very good time for an off-road ultra of just over 5 hours - respect!

So I was 7:0 up on Simon and am now 7:5 up so he is closing the gap. Having said that, he is mid 40s and running 37.5 for 10k which is not world beating. The 40 mile run is a win and I'd be whooping if I did so but it is 68% WAVA so not world shattering.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Not sure that WAVA counts for that one to be fair, as it was off-road and qite hilly. He does seem to do better off-road, but given his time on Monday I suspect he has made a bit of a leap forward recently and his 10k time will drop considerably before long.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Great session Dean, I might well be pinching that one!
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Meant to say in my last post Dean - 20 times anything is going to be hard, but that pace for 400s makes my eyes water just thinking about it!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

cheers...my hamstrings are pretty damn tight today though.  which i suppose they should be as i did 8k volume at quicker than my 3k pace.  

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Indeed!

Second day of no running for me today, so came to work on my road bike having seen a good weather forecast (I foolishly removed the winter mudguards last week). Of course, its pissing down now! I don't mind getting wet, but don't want my shiny bike getting all dirty!

• Options
    The Bus wrote (see)

Indeed!

Second day of no running for me today, so came to work on my road bike having seen a good weather forecast (I foolishly removed the winter mudguards last week). Of course, its pissing down now! I don't mind getting wet, but don't want my shiny bike getting all dirty!

I also removed my mudguards last week. Half my fault it's raining!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

We can share the blame then Iron image 

• Options

Great session again Dean 20 Wow!

I did 16x75secs (45 sec recov) Tue all under 5 min mile pace about 73/74 sec 400m pace 

I followed this up with 8 mile pace yesterday at 6.29 pace and 8.6 miles this morning at 6.27 pace so no after effects other than tired quads image

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Nice work Rob, what's the next race? Manchester 10k? Anyone any ideas if it's quick?

10x 800 tonight off 60secs. All were 2.30-2.31 barring a rogue 2.32 on the 9th rep. Plan was to hit 2.35s but felt pretty good. Ankle is sore when warming up in my Nike Pegasus but once I got going in some asics it seemed to subside. Not stopping me running at the min but a bit of a hindrance especially on the easy paced runs.
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Speedy training from both matt and rob.

matt - off a session like that I would say you will go very well at christleton.

rob - forgot to say congrats on the spring 5. Fast time. Are you getting involved at christleton or horwich?

a 800m speed session for me tonight. My legs were sore after Tuesdays session and hamstring were tender and tight so was nervy

6*300 target 45 off 4 min rec.   first 2 were 45, then a couple of 44s and a couple 43s for 44 ave.  my legs woke up during the session. To be honest I need to ave 43 minimum if I'm too achieve my goal but happy with this bearing mind it's still only April.

• Options

Some tight reps Matt. Even a 2:32 isn't too bad.

First 10mi bike TT tonight. I'm sure this was the slowest TT effort ever. Expected as I've not raced on a bike since Nov and only been back on it for 6 weeks, whereas last year I'd had a few dus under my belt by this time.

Still, like a 5km run race there is a weekly opportunity to improve.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Great speedy stuff from rob, Dean and Matt. Look forward to seeing you put some of this speediness into some quick races. What's up next.

Looking forward to getting my teeth back into some proper track work as well. Not yet though. Some resting with a bit of jogging around needed.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I'm doing the Bupa Manchester 10k on May 18th, I'm also doing a fell race next Sunday dressed as either a Lycra clad power ranger or captain America.

I'm genuinely excited by that.
  • Options

Silly marathon stuff behind me, short fun stuff begins.

May so far

Fri 2 Mile race
    Tue 6 5k race
    Sun 11 5 mile race
    Wed 14 2.3 mile race
    Sun 18 10k race
    Tue 20 5k race
    Tue 27 5k race lunchtime 5k race evening
    Fri 30 5k race

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

race:  my first road race in nearly a year coming up at christleton 5k (i wont be dressing up for that one).  then a summer of track starting at 3000m dropping to 800m soon after.  with no doubt a 1500m along the way. also have the wirral mile in may, where im trying to improve my ranking but it has come a month earlier in the calender this yr so i probably wont be sharp enough so will have to look for another mile race in june/july.

I cant beleive i will go maybe 15month only having run 1 road race then i look at philips schedule and he has 8 next month alone!

• Options

Delurks

Dean - there's a mile race at Corby on 5th August. Bit of a trek and a pain in the backside journey for you, though. There's also one in St Ives, Cambridgeshire on the 9th July, but that's even further! Not found any others yet this summer which are even vaguely sensible distance wise for me from Notts.

Relurks