Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

cheers Bob, will look into those.  there also the festival of miles at oxford as part of the BMC event.  i expect more will pop up as its the anniversary of bannister sub 4.

did the bingham mile you did last yr make it to Po10 ?

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That's a full on schedule for May Philip!

Matt - power ranger option has to be best (no shield to carry!). Whihc race is that?

Some super quick reps going on on here!

In other news: had two days of no running Tue/Wed, xc double yesterday (13M total) and an easy, flat 10k road run today. Legs still feel very heavy, so no racing Sunday as previously planned (hilly off-road) and another day off tomorrow.

• Good decision Bus. Give the body a chance to heal.

2h15 on the bike today in the pissing rain. Rest day tomorrow so Tail runner (walker) at parkrun then an 80min easy run Sunday.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

agreed, smart to take some rest Bus.  particularly as you have been racing some hard profile fell races recently.

Good to hear Ironcat is in motion again, though i dont fancy 2hrs on a bike in the rain!

• Dean. Maybe a trek but worth it? Gosport golden mile 1st June

And it goes to po10 - fast winner last year - big promotions going on and they've got Charlie Grice to run it this year..
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Not a nice day for cycling Iron! My 20 mins back from the station was bad enough with flooded roads and everyone driving with a death wish (for me

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Oh that bloody backwards text thing!!! I was going to add, there is a slight hiccup with my sensible plan! I thought I hadn't entered the race , but then got an email jusr now with details, thanking me for my entry! Seems like I did back in March, but forgot. Being particularly tight fisted I am now in a quandary image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

It's already a sunk cost Bus. You can either (a) have spent the money and not make your injury worse, or (b) have spent the same amount of money and also make the injury worse.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

It's Hameldon hill fell race Bus. it's a running pals stag do so the original plane was to all run in fancy dress at more of a leisurely pace then out for a few beers. 

We're now hoping to wear the Lycra suits and remain anonymous and hoping to bag the team prize. 

Dont race either Bus!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Should be a good outing Matt.

Lit/Matt - yours are the voices of reason! I'm not so concerned about a specific injury at the mo, as (touch wood) I think I'm OK - just general leg fatigue tbh! Also, I'm hoping to do another fell race on May 18th, but I have done so few long runs recently that Sunday would almost certainly be better sent doing a long, but slow and easy run....

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, lets face reality, you're too old to get away with smashing yourself up on a regular basis. You can try, but you're not getting away with it anymore. 

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Too old? What are you saying Ric - you're only as old as the woman you feel and my Mrs is.....oh yeah...same age as me image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

One way of putting it Bus.

As PMJ has found with the latest races, there's a puzzling lack of consistency with results. I've found it totally off-putting.

Once I trained (got a certain result) trained more and harder (a better result) easy, obvious. Then it didn't workimage

Now its a gamble. I can train more intensely but its a toss up between it making me faster or slower. That's not a great feeling. Its a case of having to think and analyse at length to get the best result.

Its become too much. Its why I just run for fitness (general) not races. That's why I see previous top racers locally just jogging about. The choice is straightforward, try to be race fit, risk injury & still get no worthwhile result. or go for an easy run, uninjured & not hurting all the time.

That's getting too old for races, and ambition in general.

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

sheesh! a bit depressing for a sunny Saturday image

well 1 old timer not going to lie down and accept it imagedid the daniels tempo cruise session this morning.  5*1m,  target 5.32 off 1 min rec.  obligatory disclaimer was it was blowing a gale down the final straight.

5.34, 5.32, 5.32, 5.30, 5.30  felt good particularly fighting against the wind.  getting fitness back now I think.

• PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭

I think the advantage of taking up running later in life is that I'm still seeing improvements at 61 image.  I can also dream of what I might have achieved as a youngster!

• ric, I agree consistency is an issue so my solution is just a lot more races. I've booked in an extra one so May is now 9 races and maybe 3 parkruns so if I get a decent 6 runs out of the 12 I'll be happy.

• RicF I'm not giving up yet either I'm with Dean image 

5k Threshold at 5.46 pace followed by 5 mile at 6.24 pace for me today that makes 61 miles for week image

great mile reps Dean I'll be trying to keep you in sight at christleton image

• Good sessions from Dean and Rob there. Especially those miles Dean. There's a road mile being organised in Manchester this summer by Sale Harriers, as you mentioned looking for a mile.

2 quick race reports - Mobberley Round the Runway 5.3MMT. Last year I ran 31:45 and ran particularly well. This time I ran 31:27 and beat all my club rivals for the first time in a while. Race is on paths and trails with some road at the start and end, averaged 6:00 on the dot. A few small hills and one very short but ridiculously steep hill. Really pleased with how it went, first good one in a while.

Today I ran a local charity 5KM in the local park organised by my club, few of us used it as a tempo and I came 3rd with an average of 5:58miles. The 2 ahead were kids from my training group and over a minute ahead. Nice follow up to Thursday.

Getting back into the swing of it now, regular racing seems to suit me best. Week Tuesday I'm hitting the track for a 3000.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

stevie S - great returns there (particularly mobberley improved time on last yr) and getting back to some form. I am doing the Trafford 3000 in a few weeks too.  using it to find out where my fitness is at.

Robt - blistering sessions.  I think it will be me trying to keep up with you at christleton the way you are running lately.image 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Stevie - a couple of very good races there. Shows you are in fine fettle at the moment.

Dean and Rob - I suppose those sessions are just about OK for a couple of old blokes image

Ric - I know what you are saying in one way. Certainly I can't blast out race after race and recover quickly between as I could in my 30s (never ran in my 20s either Pete, so can't say what that would have been like!) and neither can I seem to train hard and mix in lots of races. It's difficult to say whether that is entirely down to age though, as it's a long time since I've been free of injury and had a consistent, quality run of training (and I accept that the two are probably connected). It also partly depends on what you want out of a race. For a flat road race, I'll usually still be aiming for a PB, and I'm hoping I can still improve my times for another couple of years with a bit of luck! Despite age and injury, my parkrun pb was only a few weeks ago, and my 3rd fastest 10k (and course best) was just before Abo, without any specific 10k training, so there is still some hope.

For a trail race it is more about the event itself and trying to be competitive with local "rivals". That, and I just like racing, so I'm happy to use these type of races as a way of getting a decent session in a more social setting than my usual ones!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

If you haven't spent years running, then there's a good chance you haven't spent years wearing something (often unknown) out. No surprise late starters continue to improve, look at Martyn Rees, when did he start running? 40 +.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Well, right up until 9.10 this morning I was still undecided (10am start!) but the torrential rain made my mind up!

Went for a long off-road run instead - longest since Jan at 14 miles. The groin/quad pain struck 3 times quite sharply, but a little stretching and it went each time, with no pain at the end. Possibly scar tissue? Not the sign of a return I hope...

Overall a very slow pace, but with legs not yet fully recovered on a hilly route with plenty of gloop I was glad to get it done. Oh, and the rain stopped just before I started as a bonus! Proper knackered now though! 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, that's quite commendable. 

Personally, one of my concessions to aging and training is, can any days training be repeated the following day?

🙂

• Hey guys. Got the all clear from cardiology last week. Looks like it was just one of those things! Advised to start at 10 miles a week and then if no issues free to increase... But to be honest, enjoying my weight training and my attitude to running has changed a bit! So think I will just stick at 3 x 5ks/week.

Went out on Friday - was tough, but absolutely loved it. Felt amazing!
  • Good news there Nikki. Bet you will slip up soon, 3 x 5ks sounds tough limit to keep down to.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Brilliant news Nikki, very pleased to hear it image. Just take it easy and build up slowly - none of those former shenanigans!!

Ric,  not sure what you mean by that?  Was there ever an age when repeating your weekly long run the next day was a good idea? I've always had a day off or very easy day after a long run and I think most people do unless training for a multi-day ultra or other extreme event.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, what I meant was if you are too knackered to repeat the session it was too intensive. It doesn't mean you have to do it.

Coe senior talked in terms of developing the ability to do certain things. He didn't mean do those things. If you did, you'rd soon lose the ability to do them. He meant leaving it for races.

There's a world of difference between taking a day off for super compensation recovery and taking a day off because you're just too stuffed to do anything else.

🙂

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

That's excellent news Nikki. Here's a party smiley: image

• Great news Nikki! Welcome back. 

Ric/Bus I'd read somewhere recently (Parker maybe?) that an easy session was one that you couldn't do again straight after if the coach told you to. 

I've done plenty of sessions that I couldn't repeat the day after. That's the whole idea between hard/easy/hard/etc. Could you honestly ever do 12x400s at a given pace 2days in a row? 

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Just popping in...

That's great news Nikki! You have had a life changing experience: your whole philosophy will have changed so I'm sure that you will remember to build slowly! Sorry...sloooowly!

Phil: which race are you doing on Friday 30th? I was going to do the LFoM as I was probably going to be in London then...but neither are happening. LFoM is the previous week, very inconveniently as I'm working.

Someone mentioned mile races: the Manchester mle is being revived in memory of David Coleman, who won it in 1949...Weds 16th July.
    http://www.manchesterharriers.co.uk/documents/2014/manchester-mile-flyer.pdf

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.