Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Sorry Dean - missed your PB!

PhilipMJones wrote (see)
    IronCat5 wrote (see)

Have you considered it could be sesamoiditis?

I don't really know. The metatarsalgia was picked up from SG mentioning it so in reality it could be anything that makes the ball of your foot hurt. Seems to be much better in shoes than barefoot so running seems fine and padding round the house on a weekend morning in bare feet seems worse.

You picked it up from SG? Urgh!

Sound very similar to what I had. The many symptoms of Metatarsalgia didn't sound right to what I had. Either way, padded footwear all the time has helped.

• The Bus wrote (see)

Relatively easy reps sesh today at lunchtime as I'm racing Sunday and doing a mdium long run tomorrow.

Come on, no slacking, I want you tired out by Sunday to give me a chance. Odd thing is I can see you on the start list but not me.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Sorry Philip - I'll do a hard tempo Saturday image

When did you enter? 

• I entered May 2nd. Guess we should be

Team MTSGWNSG

Moraghan training SG with no SG

I have checked with the organisers and I am in.

29:19 in 2012 and 29:55 in 2013, guess you won't pace me to a 29:59?

• WoolWool ✭✭✭

Phil - I do lurk here, occasionally. With SG not here it's a little more comfortable for me; in the past I have fallen foul of his classification system: 'too slow to wear proper running gear or to shade one's eyes from the sun using sunglasses'.

I post only re Marlow 5: I got my number about a week ago. If you haven't got yours then perhaps you need to be in touch with them?

• Wool, I have emailed and they have my entry, so will wait and see what happens in regards to the number through the post. Now you have turned 40 I have to keep an eye out for you as you seem to be in the frame for V40 prizes now.

Looking at last year. Lance is not listed, bus is, Steve Roberts is and Julian isn't. bus is therefore the fastest V40 from last year: pressure is onimage

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Haven't had my number either - I presumed if we entered on line, we'd pick them up on the day.

Not sure what I'm going to aim for on Sunday Philip. Certainly sub 30, but it would be nice to get near the glory days (!) of 29;04. Not sure I'm in that form though, and the weather could be a factor on Sunday - wind and rain. Either way, its very difficult to start sensibly at Marlow! (sub 5:30 first mile in 2010 and 2012 then cling on for dear life!)

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Is SG on a lifetime self imposed ban?
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

He'll be back after a good race I expect!

Philip - Ben Martin-Dye is on the list though. He'll no doubt whoop us both by several minutes image

A hilly, muddy 11.2 tonight. Pretty sluggish, but running on tired legs after 51 miles and 5000 feet in the past 5 days - something I've not done for a while. Hopefully a rest tomorrow and a very easy leg loosener on Saturday and I should be OK for Marlow

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

I think I'm in need of a good rest too Bus if tonights session was anything to go by. My original plan of going to the track was shelved and I ended up at the gym on the treadmill. Not ideal. Last proper session before Manchester so was hoping for a good confidence booster. Plan was 5k at target 10k pace then 3x 1 mile off 1 min.

warmed up but nature called so had to dive off the treadmill before I started the session. Ran the 5k in 16.07 and felt pretty strong then 1k into the mile rep, nature called again so had to stop. Haha. 

Couldnt face going back on the treadmill as it was busy and I must behave looked a right weirdo. Drove to the local park to try and do 2 x 1 mile and salvage something. Couldnt n manage the first one and stopped at 5.30 min miling at the 1k point then laboured another 1k at 5.30 miling. No warm down and straight home. 

Loads of kids in the park too and found out when I got home that a local 16 year old that's been missing since Saturday has been found dead in some woods where I sometimes run. Puts my shit session into perspective. 

Usually go into a race on the back of a good session and run shit so maybe its a good sign. 

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Nice 400s Bus, nice to get a bit of zip in those legs after all the hills. Love how you mention the total up as well as miles! My total climb would be so minimal over a week!

Dean, great track race there even though you just missed out on a sub 9. Still a nice PB though and looking very good for the up coming 5K. Did you see the A race? Our man Mikey smashed out a 8:16! That's what going to Kenya does to you! We also had a U16 do 1:55 for 800. Lots of great races, wish I'd just gone to watch!

Johnas, good luck at Highgate. Wish it was closer as I'd be down to watch. The elite race is stacked.

I did a short session of 6 x 500 tonight (90s rec).

1:35, 1:34, 1:34, 1:35, 1:35, 1:33 - tough but good fun to get the legs spinning quickly!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks Stevie. I only mention the height when its been adding up a bit image. Quick reps those - why 500s not 400s?

Matt - sounds like a frustrating session (even if you did just casually throw in a 5k way faster than my PB image). Hopefully one of those weird lying and yang things that means it'll come good at the race! Is Manchester this Sunday? If so, not doing the 2nd mile probably helps anyway. As you say though, all pales into insignificance compared to some folks troubles...

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Good controlled sessions from bus and stevie s.  very consistent 

stevie - yes I watched race a.  Very stacked and fast,   Mikey ran very well and looked in control, excellent time too.  

matt, that session was damaged by for frequent toilet breaks and would be difficult to get going again.  Plenty in it to take some confidence for your 10k.

i had a proper speed session today.  300, 300, 200, 200, 150, 150 off 5 min rec and pace is 95% of flat out.  It sounded quite easy with all that recovery but was a really tough session.  Lactic floods in quickly making the session tough. A funny session as you go flat out but then try to relax.

times was 40.6, 41.7, 26.9, 27.1, 20.0, 20.1. 

Felt good and both 150 I was ahead of a 1.52 800 man. 

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Matt, seriously, a 5k in 16:07 and then some other reps, and that's a disappointment?! Your legs will have stiffened up too much after the break, happens to me a lot. I'd love a 16:07 in a f'ing race!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    On the treadmill though Dachs. Bus, Manchester is next Sunday, I've got the Calderdale way relay this Sunday. Leg 1. Starts at 8am so we've to meet at 6 so we can drive over. I'm not a fan of park runs because of the 9am start. :-/

Ridiculously quick them reps Dean! Quickest I've ever ran a 300 is about 48 seconds and I don't think I could've gone any quicker!

Is the highgate 10000 tonight? Would be a great watch. Good luck Johnas!
  • JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Ridiculous reps as always Dean.

That was a very demanding session Matt so i wouldn't read too much into it. What i would take is that 16:03 felt easy which is a good marker.

Great consistency there SS. 

As for Highgate, they've added Chris '27.27' Thompson to the list (it's tomorrow btw Matt). And with Andy Vernon knocking out a 13.11 5k last weekend, it should be a good battle between them both. No more Alistair Brownlee though according to the start list.

And for all those that can't make it, apparently you can watch it on t'internet here: http://www.vincosport.com/videos/8052

• I'll have the 10,000 streaming , Vinco are good at that.

Dean, fast times there. My daughter does 200m in low 26s and she is way too fast for me: if you are doing 27 as reps that is fast.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dean, your reps make me weep.  I did some 300s the other day, so I have a handy comparator.  Let's just say they weren't around 40 seconds.

• I haven't done any track work for months and those figures just make me grimace!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

image im feeling my age this morning off that session.  creaking like the tin man.

• DeanR7 wrote (see)

image im feeling my age this morning off that session.  creaking like the tin man.

A nice IPA will solve that!

• Dean great pace session last night no wonder your creaking!!

For the record I feel like that every morning  wait until your 49+image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I don't feel like that at all.

Maybe I should train harder. 

Only thing I find at the moment is feeling my lungs telling me I'm working hard, but the HR monitor only showing @140bpm when running low 7 minute mile pace.

Once again under constant hospital observation. Avoided them for the past 8 years but since I have a buggered up endocrine system, I guess I'll have to go along.

🙂

• Hi Guys,

I have been following this thread for a little while, I find it gives me good motivation (though only when I am running well). I am looking for advice going into my last week of training before the 10km that I have been working towards since February.

I have got Lima 10km on the 18th May and want to know what my last week should consist of. At my club they generally will continue as normal up to one or two days before and then just do short speed work- 100m or 50m x 10/15 etc. 

Would you be happy with this as your last week leading into your main race (aiming for 34:30min- current pb 34:52)

Sunday- LSR 10-12miles

Monday- Diagonals on football pitch 30 minutes

Tuesday- 300m 10reps @55sec

Wed- gentle 8km 

Thurs- 200m 10 reps @36 sec

Friday- 100m 10 reps @17 sec

Sat- travelling- possible jog to stretch legs

Sun- Race day

Forgot to mention this is at altitude (2,400m).

Many thanks for any input and I will be watching the 'Night of PB's' live stream so good luck to Johnas.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Hi dan, welcome,  looks good to me though I wouldn't do the Friday session as that's 3 sprint sessions.  I would swap the 100s for an easy 5m.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dan, welcome. For some reason I've run my best 10ks off 70/80 mile training weeks. Not sure if that would work for everyone though. I'd maybe do the last 2 speed sessions st 5k pace at the fastest though, just to keep the speed going without hammering yourself.

I'd always run the day before a race, I feel sluggish if I dont, especially for 10k.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Welcome Dan. Thanks for best wishes.

The approach sounds similar to most I think - reduce volume but increase intensity. Standard stuff for a taper. I agree with Dean on the back to backs but personally, I always like to run the day before a race rather than rest. So I'd do the 200s Thurs, rest Fri and 20-30 mins easy on Sat with 8-10 strides at the end.

Also, not sure what your Monday session is exactly but after Sunday's LR I'd do a nice slow recovery run, 30 to 40 mins.
  • JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    /cross post Dachs image
  • Many thanks for the inputs, on the Friday I will drop the 100m for a gentle 4/5 miler and saturday as I will be travelling I'll try and get out to stretch the legs once I have arrived. 

Dachs- As my weeks don't tend to go much past 40miles, if I were to do it off 70/80 I think I wouldn't make it to the finish line!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I've ever got a taper right Dan. I struggle cutting the mileage back as I'm a compulsive exerciser.

Should be running the opening leg of a pairs relay on Sunday, seemed to have strained/pulled something high up on my quad/hip area. Sure enough on an 8 mile plod it happened at the 4 mile point so I had no option but to run home on it. It seemed to ease but then flared up when I finished. Hopefully it's not too serious as Manchester is next Sunday and that bastard has cost me ??38 to enter! Missus is away from wed onwards so I won't be able to run from wed til at least sat. Not an ideal taper there!

What a shite years running so far! My highlight has been running in a power ranger outfit. :-/