Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

Hi all, just delurking for a second to ask a question - had a string of 40 mile weeks with a few races in (highest weekly mileage ever for me) and considering a cut-back week to re-charge... is a reduction in mileage achieved by reducing number of runs, or mileage per run? I usually run 6-7 times a week

• Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭

thanks Bus, nice run today and good to meet you too. You too Phil - wrong reaction for me after the line then, I assumed that you would have been disappointed to have run over 30. Sorry.

Conditions didn't really impact me I don't think. However, I'm in a bit of a rut where I get very negative mid race. I was OK on Tuesday night's 5k (2s behind PMJ) but today I was really bad, I was close to stopping at the top of the 'hill' which is ridiculous as all others around me were leaking oil at that point too. Hey ho, by the time I am 55 my son might sleep through the night, that'd certainly help!

2+ weeks until the next race. Will give me an opportunity to do some training, oh and go on holiday for a week and get fat…..

• Options

Wool, it would be nice to go sub 30 but I had 2 to 3 weeks off injured and I reckon you need to double the time back so I need about 5 weeks back to be OK and I have just done 3. Fit, yes, sub 30 is the goal and not too much of a stretch but in the current form I was encouraged by today's run.

You not doing Staines next weekend? We have raced 3 times in the last week or so and every time I thought you were holding a bit back for a bigger race and had Staines in mind.

Kids getting older does not mean more sleep: mine need to be collected from night clubs at silly or clock or taken somewhere for a 6am start, or ring me up with "Dad, should the car look like this?"

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

not ideal conditions over the last couple of days for racing!

Johnas, must be frustrating as hell, and painful to run a 10000m with half into the wind. a windy 5000 killed me last summer. I tried to get the link up but the picture was terrible. 

Bus and Phil, I'd call it a score draw.image both solid runs there.  maybe just one of them days Wool? I  know how things can change quickly as I nearly jacked in running the other day out of frustration.

great running Dean in the circumstances. A 6 sec winning margin is putting the boot in. I like how you mention 64 second laps as though they're just ticked off! :-/ 

the speed will be back in no time Dachs. why not just claim the pavement PB from your training run instead.image 

had a bit of an up and down few days with the running. thought I'd done myself some damage on Friday but sort of had my hand forced into running a 10.7mile leg of a pairs relay today. Up at 4.45 for an 8am start as we had to drop a car at the finish and then drive back to the start. Wasnt overly excited about running with a clubmate who's just ran 32.27 at Salford and I wasn't sure I'd make it round. 

Plenty of painkillers and voltorol and yesterday's trip to the physio meant I was pretty much pain free. No idea how. A bit tender to touch but I think that was due to healing hands being dug in yesterday. We pretty much settled into 3rd place early doors and looking at my garmin it was a near 3 mile ascent.

i felt strong on the descents and ascents but when we hit a flat bit where my partner said we should put a kick in to claw back second place my legs weren't so keen. Oh shit I thought, another 5 mile of hanging onto his tail. ( I thought it was going to be payback for when I partnered him in the relay in December where I put the boot in when he'd been ill all week)

we then hit a descent then a ascent steep ascent and I got a second wind fortunately whereas my partner went the other way. Thankfully I seemed to get stronger as the race went on which was pleasing and I ended up dragging him along again. nearly 1700ft of ascent too and we handed over in 3rd place. the pairs we finished behind were out and out fell runners. One being a former u23 British fell champion whos favourite race in Ben Nevis. :-/ not bad for a pair of road runners.image 

• Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭

no Phil - on holiday by then; will also miss the relays on Thurs so the next time you'll bump in to me on a start line is Burnham for the even wackier of Wacky Races starts down that hill.

OK so perhaps sleep isn't going to improve. WAVA is the only hope then. 8s outside my PB today but far superior WAVA result. Perhaps getting old does have *some* benefit.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

..and in the intermediate stage it's their bloody pets that keep you up! Countless times this week I've been woken up in the middle of the night by my daughter's rabbits panicking about a fox in the garden! Wish t would just get on with it and eat the buggers....

That 'hill' is where I always used to puke Wool, but these days I've learnt to just ease off a bit before hand and try and make it back up on that slight downhill just after! Retched at the 4 mile point instead today image

Philip, I'll give you that 0.01% as a win - that's worth nearly 0.5 seconds according to the calculator image

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Still a great mile time Dean in those conditions, and impressed by your showing off to your daughter!  Congrats on both of your medals.

Dean, I have a question.  I am going to my first track meet in 20-ish years next week, and will be running the 800 and probably a leg of the 4 x 400.  My times will be shite of course, but it should be a bit of fun plus I'll get a proper 800 PB on the board.  800 is at 7:45 and the 4x4 is at 8:25.  What do you do in terms of warming up for an 800, and what would you do to keep the legs ticking over in the 40 minutes between the events?

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Sorry Matt, missed your post - it appeared before mine out of the blue!

Sounds like a very tough race that came good. Hope the injury is OK after.

I was going to have a day off today, but legs felt so good after yesterday for some reason I ran to the station. Came out as the fastest time for the route for an absolute age!

Benefits of a proper warm down, lots of stretching and the chocolate, coconut re-hydration drink thingy in the goody bag yesterday I reckon!

Without wishing to tempt fate, it's good to feel the legs are getting back to normal and seem to be injury free for the first time in 15 months! Touch wood....

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

LSH88 - well done on your PB at the weekend. Good work. I wouldn't reduce the number of runs. A cut back week for me usually entails reducing the distance of one of my longer runs (midweek or Sunday) and maybe swapping an easy run for a recovery run. That usually freshens things up

Nicely done Bus & PMJ. Nice WAVA scores whichever way you look at it. Bus - As Stevie says, the early races bore the brunt of the worst weather on Saturday and although there was still a wind when Andy Vernon ran 3 hours later, it was nowhere near the gale we had to contend with.

Dachs – crazy innit. All my PB’s have come in marathon training but just the thought of having to do that kind of mileage to keep improving tires me out. Still, bearing in mind you’re only just coming back from the recovery phase, you’re in good shape. A few weeks of track sessions and you’ll be back on it. 800m though?? That’s a bit extreme!

Dean – sounds like you had it bad too weather wise. Just horrible isn’t it. Is there anything worst than wind? Good win though and actually, a pretty solid time considering.

Stevie – Now the race is over I can say it was fun. But to be honest, at 5k I was running on my own and as was already off pace,  came very close to DNF - it seemed like a waste of time due to the conditions. When you feel like that and the lap counter is telling you you still have 12 laps to go it’s pretty tough. As you say though, you just need to settle into a groove and tick them off. Just wish we’d all worked a bit more as a group to share the running into the headwind. Good luck at Trafford though – it’s definitely worth doing and I’ll probably try another before the summer is out.

Matt – don’t try and kid us. You’re a monster on the hills and you know it. Well ran as always. 

Wool – Well ran despite the mind tricks. Getting ‘old’ definitely does have it’s benefit as I’m learning. By running a not very often ran 10,000m track race at the weekend, I’m now ranked 13th in the UK in the V35 category... Will be interesting to see where I finish the year though image 

Congrats too to Iron. I see he did rather well at the Powerman UK triathalon this weekend. Well done mate.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

dachs - im a bit lazy on the warm up front as others do much more.  but for an 800 i will probably jog 2 miles getting faster to about 6.45 pace towards the end.  then 25 mins before the start i will get my spikes on and run the bend *4 as a strides type exercise to get a faster pace going.  also make sure you know if the race is starting off the curve start or lanes.  as if its a curve line you want to make sure you have a good postion (assuming you will be one of the stronger racers). Also i do a fair bit of visualisation of the race, waht position you want to be in, are you happy leading or do you want to be dragged along, what time to go through 200, 400 etc.. so in your mind have an idea what time you want to go through 400.  then hold on!

in the vets league i have a similar issue with racing an 800 then 30mins later there is a relay.  i walk around a bit, take fluid on, put my compression calf guards on (*these might not actually do anything).  then about 10 mins before your relay do the strides on the bend again to warm up, maybe a touch slower.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Cheers Dean, I shall do something along those lines, although a longer warm up may be necessary for the likes of me to get my legs going.  Must admit, I had no idea anyone did 800s off a curved start line.

Johnas, it's a Vets League our club has entered for the first time.  Therefore, at least I will have the comfort of knowing I'm not going to get beaten by a load of D-level U15s.  So relatively sedate, low-pressure surroundings.  Plus, as we are a road running club, we have no-one who ever does any events other than distance running, so no-one expects us to do anything other than finish near the bottom of the league.  At least I've avoided the embarrasment of doing a 1m 50 shotput or a 5m triple jump.

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Dachs wrote (see)

At least I've avoided the embarrasment of doing a 1m 50 shotput or a 5m triple jump.

image image So very true

• Options

Thanks Johnas... difficult to hold back when I have a bit of momentum behind me but the body is starting to creak! 

• Options

Just dropping by....

Dachs - if you're anything like me you'll spend 15 minutes coughing whilst trying to get my lungs back and not be sick. Couple of strides before the relay is about all I'd suggest as being worth it. Worse is when theres a couple of hours between races...

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Another good run home tonight. I know I'm running well when I go sub 8mm pace on my off-road routes to work and back, especially tonight when it was very muddy, and the first half was nearer 9mm!

• Options

Gurntastic at the Marlow 5. I'll not post one of my usual grimace.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2897/13980414798_0c68151528_c.jpg

• Options

Faster starter in the Samir mode was Daniel Morgan. Started up front in the chasing pack of two with a team mate and then ended up 26th and 3 minutes own on his team mate.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nice photo! That's just before the bit where I normally puke at Marlow image

Yep, classic over-exuberant start leading to burn out. he was bouncing around like Tigger on the start line!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

check out the guns, bus! image

Dachs, when is the masters event?

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Cheers PC2.  I doubt I have the leg speed to even go fast enough to make me feel like that over 800!

Dean - Monday evening.

I love those fast starters.  On the start line at the weekend, I overheard someone telling his friend that the trick was to get out ahead by the first corner.  Sure enough, as every year at this race, I was about 25th at the first corner.  I overtook the bloke who I'd overheard after about 300 metres and never saw him again.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Dean - deceptive camera angle!

Easy paced 5.3M today. Legs a bit tired, but OK. Shockingly muddy though!

Oddly I seem to have put on a bit of weight this weekend - just in time to have to drag it up Fairfield on Saturday image

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

10*400 off 60 sec rec. Target pace 67-68s. Was windy but Despite that hit every rep in 67.  Happy with that. image

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Things progressing very nicely over the last few weeks Dean.

Thankfully had no Ill effects from Sundays race. 7 on Monday and 8 tonight, both felt comfortable at
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Cheers matt, yep first 800 race on Tuesday and will find a lot out that night!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dean, 67s must be a walk in the park for you. I reckon even I could manage a 67. Just one though... image

Looking forward to seeing you pull out a fast time.

More illness for me, so a couple of no running days. Oh well, I suppose it prevents me mullering myself to make up for a poor race. On the plus side, I have just received an England Athletics silver medal for the half marathon team championships. The ones in 2013 that is. Ah well, good things come etc etc...

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Blimey Dachs, that's taken a while to come through! Hope you get well soon.

Dean -pace and consistency all rolled in to one great session image

Double 5.5 xc for me today. Legs very heavy tonight, so guess a wee bit of DOMS from Sunday creeping in. Hoping the overall lower mileage, a day off tomorrow and a very short leg loosener Friday will see me right for Saturday now!

• Options

My legs seem to slowly be coming back to me. Going from a lot of miles at reasonably slow pace, this month of lower miles with a lot of races at (my) fast pace really made the legs stiff and I was needing double recovery days (so odd, I can run a 20 mile one day, then 5 recovery, and do a 13 the day after but a raced 5k and I need two days at 5 miles for the legs to be OK).

One of the hardest things with training is the delay, so my races today and Sunday will be on muscles developed in training or other races two or three weeks ago, and the benefit of this week wont be felt until 2 or 3 weeks time later.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

2*4*200 off 2 mins and 5 between the set.  Target pace was 27/28s.

last lap was hard work, I went hard at  50m but didn't have the legs to carry it through and tired badly. But still managed it on pace but lactic tastic .  Looked like I was swimming in the last 40m of the last rep. image

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Phew , very speedy!

Right, off to the Lakes in a bit. Car is stuffed with camping gear, kayak, bike, food and beer! Looks like the weather should be good too, if a little warm and Sunday for racing over mountains!

No internet until Monday, so have a good weekend one and all!!!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Enjoy yourself Bus.

Fast as always Dean.

First run this morning since Tuesday due to a bit of illness striking.  Oh well, better to get it out of the way when I'm in poor form anyway than later on when I'm (hopefully) not.