Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Interesting to see your approach Dachs, not because it's questionable, but just because we've both got the same aims and focus really. 

I did my 5k of volume with 4x 800m in 2:37 average off 90s, 3 mins recovery then 4x 400m in 74 average off 50s. Approx 15:33 pace too (although this isn't my target either obviously!)

As per my recent race reports, I'm still fading in races and although the fade is getting better, I still need to work on my speed endurance so my session last night was sandwiched between 10 mins of threshold at the beginning and end too.

LSH - not far off at all. Nicely done.

• Cheers gents 

Johnas - similar to you in that I lack speed endurance. Going to try some longer reps at race pace and keep the recoveries down

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Dean, I once joined the club sprint squad in a circuit training session and annihilated them in every exercise. 

One of my speed sessions happened to be 20 or 30 blasts over 100m. I've run hill sprints lasting no more than 15 seconds up a 1 in 15 hill.

I've shifted tons of weights.

But I have no power. I can slowly leg press the maximum loading in the gym, matched only by a 16 stone rower. But unable to smash it at speed.

Really pisses me off if I'm honest.

I get out sprinted by fat joggers in a 400m relay because my muscles refuse to store oxygen. 

The thing that really pisses me off more than anything else on this subject is listening to runners complain that 'their legs went', no breathing problems at all, just their legs.

There is no solution, Anaerobically speaking I'm disabled. 

🙂

• Track today, 8*400m so that is 3200m and aiming at 3000m pace which I'd like to get beat my vet PB of 10:18 (real PB sub 9). As per last week, trying to beat 80 second laps with long recoveries (100m walk and 300m jog) and they came out a bit better today. Good tight set with average of 79.3 and last week was 80.3. If I continue to improve a second per lap per week, I'll do a 4 minute mile before Christmasimage

Really hot at lunchtime, only mad dogs and Englishmen. Actually,  I was there with a guy who was a Welsh international long jumper (won the national title in '88 with a jump of 7:15). Now winning long jump at vets leagues by some margin.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Nice work on the 3000 LSH88. 

Dean, I'm completely in agreement with what you say. I feel exactly like that when I'm doing a track session. 800 and 1500 times pop in my head and I wonder how the hell I'd ever be expected to hit them. 

Solid track sessions from the rest of you. Looks like 15.3X's all round on your next outing lads.image 

i did 6x 800 +200 off 1 min tonight. Splits came out at 2.26- 2.27- 2.26- 2.26- 2.27- 2.27 the 30.8 for the 200. Bloody warm and had to dig in on the back straight into a decent breeze. Can't have it all I suppose.

pleased with the session as I've clocked some miles up over the last few days including 14 yesterday. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Philip - surely the last thing you need with you for a scorching hot track session is a long jumper image (good session though, possibly due to the Samir style warm clothing!)

Likewise LHS88 - very nice 3000- not a distance I've ever done. V.promising sessions from yourselves Dachs/Johnas/Matt, and especially off a 14 yesterday Matt.

Ric - behave!

• The Bus wrote (see)

Philip - surely the last thing you need with you for a scorching hot track session is a long jumper image

I had forgotten the wealth of wit there was on the Samir thread with rhymes and dittys to amuse. Maybe we need to revive it, it has been stagnant for too long.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

behave!

Hang on a minute, let me see what I last wrote.

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

lots of great training going on...i had a slight calf niggle from the weekends race so have been taking it easy.  all clear now

Dachs - the whole purpose of my training 5k plan was to get used to doing the race pace and build a consistency....almost a comfortable familarity with the pace needed.  the only thing that changed was the rep distance and the recovery.  i assume the next session will be 5*1k.  what target pace for those?  3mins?

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    DeanR7 wrote (see)

i assume the next session will be 5*1k. 

Yes

DeanR7 wrote (see)

what target pace for those?  3mins? 

Ha ha!  No.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

No, the target pace per km will be 3:09.  I think that's a doable session at this stage.  As you say, the aim is to get used to running at that pace - my main problem at the moment is that my 5K pace isn't actually much different to my 10K pace, so trying to get used to how 5K should feel will be a big part of it.

• Good work guys. I think anyone doing track at lunch or early evening will overheat in this.

Triathlete Europe featured this session today which concentrates on 10k & 5k speed.

No parkrun tomorrow due to delivering the kids to various locations. I'll manage to run after that though and have been given a 5mi fartlek. In the meantime, here is my plan for the evening:

/members/images/553795/Gallery/20140613_194638.jpg

• Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Evening all,

I've missed a lot by the looks of it. Shoulder is sorted now and I'm off the silly pain killers. I ran a relay race at the Welsh Castles relay. I tried to wriggle out of it but we didn't have a team if I didn't run.

Having not run in 6 days smashing 9.5 miles was less than ideal. However... I did the business and ran 9.5 miles in just over 58 mins and came 7th (keeping my 100% top 10 record). Sunday I had a rest and Monday I couldn't walk straight as I really did annihilate myself. Never had legs like it after a race!

Jogged 3-4 miles each day this week to ease in. Just easy running next week too.

Hope we're all doing great - promise I'll keep up with the thread this week!

• Won't be running tomorrow as I have lower back injury again. Don't worry 10k is my best event at the moment and the next 1 is in Regents Park. I will run 31:xx there.

• Johnas wrote (see)
    http://twitter.com/johnas77/status/477741664790786049

Bet you had trouble keeping up with her reps!  I have heard a few interviews with her and she does monster sessions.

• parkrun this morning: OK for the first mile (5:53), CNBA fairy sat on my shoulder for the second mile (6;33), shrugged her off for mile 3 (6:07) but she came back for the bits (6:58 pace). 19:26 reflects the end of 14 days with one day off, 5 races, 2 hard track sessions and only 4 recovery runs.

Have a clear week to concentrate on speed and rest and then a mile track race the week after.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

And for me. Hot and humid from above, soggy and slippery from below! Reasonable run, but didn't feel as strong as last week, and 7 secs slower for 18:21 and 2nd. Also very slightly longer according to the GPS, but probably results from avoiding the ponds image All the time was lost in the middle mile, with the last 1.1 actually quicker 5:47, 6:01, 5:46, 5:48 for the bit

You name dropper Johnas image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

I'm none the wiser johnas, who is it?

Hope you get back to 100% soon stevie see

not suprised you are leggy phil whith your recent schedule.

Considering the conditions a decent enough marker bus. 

Good luck robT in the GB 5k champs Tomorrow. I fought with entering but didnt in the end.  i fancy you will bring home some bling if christleton is any guide. image

• DeanR7 wrote (see)

I'm none the wiser johnas, who is it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally_Pearson

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Good to hear about a true legend of athletics on this thread. But enough about Samir, Johnas's encounter with Sally Pearson is exciting too.

• Been lurking and perusing a tad. Whose Samir? Is he the legend? image Some quality sessions as others have said.. Matt and Dachs I ran sub 16 off similar 6x800 session not any quicker either.. Matt, I know you've done it but Dachs should be do able this summer

Dachs I did 8x1km off 2 minutes as a session not long before Eastleigh in probably one of my best shapes, I'm sure they were around that pace.. I reckon you would be ok just inside 3:09s (nearer 5m/m pace) for sure
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

10k race for me today, or is it just another run? 

Easy enough to prepare for, I'll be leaving the house for the venue in 20 minutes and will warm up on the way. Race at 9:30 which should be enough.

Conditions appear ideal today and no niggles to speak of.image

Back in the house after a Dnf. Barely started actually. Lungs kicked in almost immediately and was struggling before I was out of the park. On to the road and just ran along watch runners stream by, HR 167bpm. First mile outside 6 minutes, stopped after 10 minutes.

I thought racing was over last year. 

It is now.

Mind you, it didn't stop going for a nice easy run afterwards. Felt good but that's at around 7:45 min mile pace.

Back to 12 miles/day then. 

🙂

• Cheers for encouragement on the 3k all... haven't run since with the pesky achilles but it's loosening off now so hopefully be back easy running this week and then try some reduced volume sessions the week after

Been doing a lot of cycling today though - 90 mins today including one monster climb where I actually considered getting off! Cycling is good fun but my skinny runner legs can't propel me quick enough and I just don't get that "buzz" from it

• Sad to hear that Ric.

Take care with the achilles LSH, and don't come back or stress it too early. Plenty of recovery then easy work is the key.

2hr steady session on the bike today. Definitely getting the buzz :P
    Which hill was it?

• Cheers IC5 I am definitely giving it some respect, and at least I can be active whilst recovering. It was in Little Baddow, Essex. Fairly moderate to a "proper" cyclist I would guess but I was blowing! Got some sympathetic looks from others descending!!

• I quite like climbing hills on a bike, it's good fun.
    I've never cycled in Essex. I almost did once.

6:55 in total this week; 2:41 running and 4:14 cycling. Still building back up.

• LSH, we spoke briefly on my thread but do listen! I've been out of action for 5 weeks on very little mileage and that probably is more than I should have done!! I'm still having some days of soreness so if you feel good for 3-4 days.. Make sure it becomes 6-7 etc etc the only "hard running" I've done is some off road races, which yes isn't the best but I'd probably say hard kinder in the Achilles than a track session...

I'm also hoping to test myself on some IOW hills over next week

Unlucky Ric!

2 hours on the bike IC :/ I did a 30 miler and that was enough for me! 3days later my legs are still hurting!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Cheers guys. Dnf no big deal, at least it wasn't an injury.

Out for an easy run at 6:30. Only managed to get to the end of the road before I knew something was up. However, I decided to keep going and accept what ever emerged.

The mile splits came out as 8:04, 7:59, 7:49, 7:26, 7:06, 7:12, 6:43, 6:22, 6:35, 6:39.

Some off road, some big hills and the lungs not playing up.

🙂

• Dean I didn't race pulled hamstring last Sunday so 2-3 weeks rest/easy running so I don't ruin the rest of the year image