Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Ric - not hayfever related at all is it? Pollen has been very high recently and even those who have never suffered before can be having breathing issues.

I like hills on the bike too Iron!

Take it easy and heal well Rob...

• BMAF 5k champs were yesterday at Horwich and results are here.

Bit scary how fast you have to be to be a fast vet: 55 people went sub 18, 25 sub 17 and 9 sub 16. I need to go as far back as V70 to win a category

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

phil, horwich isnt a fast course either.  3 laps with a decent hill (for a 5k) to navigate.

rob , bad news also looks like the v45 was the most hotly contested age group.

ric - bad luck on the dnf

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, unaware of ever having had hayfever problems but in the context of what has happened, I'll take you up on the suggestion.

It was hayfever.

Hope the injury clears soon Rob, too much potential there to go down my route.

🙂

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Bad luck on the DNF Ric.  Is that seriously it for racing, or was that a knee jerk reaction post-race?

• Hopefully it was Ric just throwing the toys out. I've been quite sniffly this year though I've been a perennial sufferer for some time.

I have 16x200s on Wednesday image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Dachs, it was a reaction during the race as I floundered along. 

Post race I've decided its time to do the job properly, I simply haven't been training well enough to get away with back to back races. That Ickenham race took too much out of me and I hadn't recovered.

That's the down side of limited mileage.

I've been trying to think why its got to this stage, then I remembered it was damaging my right ankle last October which wiped an entire winter out.

So, re-group, start again.

My old diaries indicate a reasonable amount of miles per week, but I note that these were also a lot more intensive than the easy jogs I've got into the habit of doing. 

The run this morning was a pleasant surprise. Certainly got me fired up again, which was unfortunate for a client who questioned my rates.

I dispensed with his appointment on the spotimage Can't beat a good sacking.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

It's certainly a rollercoaster this running lark image

Good run this morning. Had a rest day yesterday after 14.5M LSR on the road Sunday, which was my second LSR of last week. 10k done and my quickest off-road, hilly run for some time. Only 7:38 pace, but I always reckon one being 45 secs - 1 min slower than road on these routes and it was a min per mile quicker than the same run last week (for very little extra effort seemingly!). Still a bit of a niggle in the groin on the longer stuff, but otherwise OK. Need this to go before I can decide whther to do the Wycombe Half or not in July....

Who's racing this weekend?

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

RicF a similar thing happened to me, although it was in a training run, ended up walking away from running for ever. Three days later I ran my 10K pb - sometimes stuff gets in the way, whether it is a metnal or physical thing - If it is any help I suffer badly from hayfever during runs, ending up coughing and choking - I am guessing it is to do with taking deep breaths and inhaling more pollen than normal - and pollen count is very high at the moment -

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

bus - im racing the mile on thursday v big bad bob from another thread. 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    DeanR7 wrote (see)

bus - im racing the mile on thursday v big bad bob from another thread. 

I wonder who will win? (Sorry Bob image)

• Thankfully, I'm sure I will be racing one of the earlier heats!

This has the dual benefit of avoiding Dean beating me by the best part of a lap less approximately the length of the finishing straight, and also allows me to relax, recover and grab a ringside seat in time to see an assault on what on current form should prove to be one of the faster V40 mile times this country has seen. 

Timetable here Dean if you've not seen it: -

http://www.nottsac.co.uk/latest-news/48-tim-wealthall-miles-and-richard-belton-5k-races

Not had confirmation yet whether I'll be in the 7.55pm or 8.10pm race. I think I put 5.30 as an estimated time on the form, so hopefully the latter as I think I should be capable of getting inside that now based on a couple of sessions since, and I'd rather be dragged round by faster runners than have a shot at winning the slower heat.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That's a report to look forward to Dean (beats the hell out of this dull football nonsense going on at the moment image)

Good luck Bob as well.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

ha! no pressure then.  might be worth saying i had a bad(ish) track session on sunday so maybe not on full power. image 

• Excellent expectation management, Dean. image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nah, after a bad track session we aexpect an even better race to make up for it image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Yes G3, things do sometimes get in the way. I went into that last one mentally flat. Didn't fancy it at all and it showed in the result.

This morning I set off at a 'lets say' more determined tempo. Nine miles later averaging just over 7's I ran out of road. That'll do. 

Fairly sprinted up one hill in the middle of that lot. 

Forming the impression there's just been too much jogging about, so I've slung the HR monitor aside and just run on feel. And more effort.

Such is the upside. After a bad one, the next is most likely a better one.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Another 9 miles at an average of 6:55.  Felt fit. If was an age grade job, it was worth 74%.

🙂

• Glad to hear you're back on it Ric. A cracking pace!

Getting dressed this morning I thought my running socks had been washed with something red due to some red patches on them. Turns out my finger was bleeding when I put them on. D'oh! image

16x200s with 60s jog RI this morning, after a good warmup (kicks, knees, strides, etc). I started with 44 in mind based off last week's 400s. Ended up with pretty consistent reps, then pushed the last 2:
    44, 43, 45, 43, 44, 44, 44, 43, 44, 43, 42, 42, 44, 43, 40, 40

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Good to hear things are on the up Ric.  And nice 200s Iron.

Dean, you have to be slow sometimes.

Has anyone done both the Serpentine Last Friday 5K and the Self Transcendence one in Battersea Park?  I was building my 5K training towards the former, but I didn't think it was the quickest course when I ran it last year, and I wondered how the Battersea Park one compares.  Looking at results and runbritain's (admittedly flawed) course difficulty score, it seems like it may be quicker, and I want to give myself the maximum chance possible of hitting my goal.  To do so I am prepared to go and run races with silly names.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Dachs - what about a track 5k ? 

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

To be honest, I found my concentration waning on that track 5000 last week, as it was just round and round and round and round, and I really need to be concentrating all the way through a 5K to squeeze out the fastest time possible.  Also, Open 5000s are in short supply round 'ere.

• Dachs, think about the lakeside 5km? Two weeks time?

Fast, flat great organisation (entry on night too) and probably within an hour of you??
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Dachs - I have run at battersea twice in the last couple of weeks. If flat and smooth = fast then I can't think of a faster course. There no undulations at all and the surface is good throughout. It's also accurate with a good field to help you along. The only downside is that it's a 2 lapper.
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Cheers Wool, sounds absolutely perfect.  I don't mind a 2-lapper, just less keen on a 12.5 lapper!

Scott, thanks.  I had a look at the Lakeside one and it looks good, but (with the exception of the upcoming one, for which my training won't have me quite ready) the dates didn't work for me.  I may have the August race as a fallback though if I screw up my first attempt.

• I hope to be at August one providing I get back into training, next one is too soon to show any speed / few days after the 10km I hope to do..

Gosport are doing a summer series too, race 2 is soon as well but the 3rd one would be august I guess, not sure how far travelling wise you would be up for but it's super flat
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Where's the Lakeside one then?

Good run Ric - he's back!

Reps today in my local football field! Quite warm, but becoming acclimatised now! Target was 1/2M reps at target 5k pace, so didn't force the pace. Came out as:

2x4x0.25M off 60 sec/2 min: 1:24, 1:23, 1:23, 1:23, 1:20, 1:22, 1:22, 1:20.

Reasonably happy with that. Would have preferred them all 1:20 or under but the first half  of each rep was slightly uphill and into the wind

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

16:40 target pace then Bus?  Good stuff. 

Lakeside is Portsmouth.  A long way to go for a 5K unless you're really targeting it.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

If I could do a 16:40 then I'd happily head to Pompey image

Target was 17:30 pace (1:24) so all under target - just would have preferred 1:20s image

• 8*400 on the track today. Average was 79.7 so just inside my 80 target and the fastest shows as 5:04 per mile on the Garmin so sneaking up on a sub-5 lap. I have decided my legs feel tired because of these fast track sessions as it is using a very different muscle set and you are supposed to use muscles to make them stronger so tired is good.

I have a track mile next Wednesday. David Wilcock is running, V60, and is looking at a couple of records. He has done 4:39 for 1500 so should be close to 5 dead for the mile.

The British Record for Men over 60 is 5:03.3 (David Oxland, Notts AC).  The World Record for Men over 60 is 4:51.85 (Tony McManus, New Zealand).