Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Martin Rees probably gets close to that British mile record during a 10K.

• I don't know for certain, but I'd be surprised if David Oxland isn't looking to better that British record himself at the meeting Dean and I are running at tomorrow night. His firm are sponsoring it in fact.

He looks to be in form. Was first V60 in the BMAF 5k at the weekend in a time of 17:25. McMillan reckons that translates to about 5:01 in the mile. Certainly worth your man checking the results from tomorrow night in case the goalposts have shifted!

EDIT: Looks like Rees ran a road mile in 5:00 dead last month, Dachs, but doesn't compete on the track. Literatin would approve.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Martin Rees gets the prize for under statement. With TV camera's in his face and reporters dancing about, they attempted to get some block busting comment from the great man having just smashed the world best HM for a V60 (71 mins).

"Well, you have to try your best!". 

Say no more.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good to read some of this stuff after a gap, re-ignites that desire to get a race back in, which is where I am now. Can't wait. However, patience it is....

Will aim for 50miles this week, but all easy stuff. Moved from a kind of locked feeling every footstep in the hamstring, glutes and hips to a lot freer now. However, that top end stuff will take a while to re-add.

last 4 weeks have been 33,48.5,46.5,32 (football mistake..costing a couple of days pure rest) , so classic runner niggle fare, where you can still run, but have to reduce volume and cut out quality for a bit...

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Bob - just seen on FB that a call went out to the BMC stars to attend tomorrows race.  looks like there is going to be a bunch of 14.30 5k men racing in the 5k and potentially a couple others chasing a sub 4 mile.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Sounds intimidating.  I'll stick to my track meets where we just run around old men throwing a javelin.

5 x 1000 yesterday. Supposed to be 200m jog recoveries, but a fair bit of bending over panting (oo-er etc) was also involved, along with a wander to the bathroom to splash water all over my face.  Got to make those recoveries shorter, but still got time to do that.  3:04, 3:06, 3:05, 3:06, 3:10.  Started too fast and suffered on the last one.  Mind you, the last one was still only 1 second slower than target pace.  3:06 average.

SG, good to see you back amongst some miles.

• Dachs wrote (see)

5 x 1000 yesterday. Supposed to be 200m jog recoveries, but a fair bit of bending over panting (oo-er etc) was also involved, along with a wander to the bathroom to splash water all over my face.  Got to make those recoveries shorter, but still got time to do that.  3:04, 3:06, 3:05, 3:06, 3:10.  Started too fast and suffered on the last one.  Mind you, the last one was still only 1 second slower than target pace.  3:06 average.

I think my session yesterday morning would have been very different if done yesterday evening.

I think the 5x1000 is a real tester of a session. You can hide in 400s & to an extent 800s, but the 1k reps are the full monty.

• Sounds good, Dean.

Hoping to be there before 7pm to pick up my number and meet my old man. Might try to catch the 5k before I head off for my warm up, sounds like it should be worth watching. Depends which race I've been allocated to though.

Big cash prize if anyone does duck under 4:00 for the mile - think I remember reading it's never been done in Notts before.

• Quick GPS question. I can currently buy a Forerunner 220 for £149.59 (website says RRP is £220 and they have it at £176 and I have a 15% discount code). Anyone got views on this, anyone use one? As far as I can see it is like the 620 but no wifi or cadence an I can live without those.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

i have the 220 and its excellent....for me it wasnt worth the 620 upgrade because all the features that are different are mostly irrelevant and you need to wear the HRM to get them to operate.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

SG - I know that feeling well! That's been pretty much what the whole past year has been like. The groin thing still hasn't completely gone - did 11M at lunch and could feel it then. All you can do is keep on keeping on......

Sounds like a big night at Notts tomorrow!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Dachs, great session...I wouldn't worry about the recovery length this early.  Looks like  a sub 16 should more than possible. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Sorry Dachs - somehow missed that scorching session! Very quick reps indeed!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

cripes dachs, did I miss you going from a mid 16 5k to being capable of a 15.30 5k?

Or am I as always presuming that the way I train is the way everyone trains...ie at race pace, when we've long ago established it's not image

6&4 again today for the third day in a row. 36mile week, probbo 5 sat, 9/10 sun, and we have at least a 50mile week, which I think of as absolute minimum margin.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

If I didn't do the type of work that I do, I'd probably do double days. I used to do them and the most effective combination I found was 2 miles am and anything else pm.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I thought your best results came from doing very little running indeed, and instead cycling in your kitchen?

• Stevie G wrote (see)
    9/10 sun, and we have at least a 50mile week, which I think of as absolute minimum margin.

I guess that is early, but what pace? I need similar at about 7:30 pace tops.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG, i'm not capable of 15:30, but nor should i be a mid 16 runner. 16:37 is my 10k PB pace, so i really should be threatening 16.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Training for competition is somewhat risky. Its a gamble treading that fine line between being super fit and injured.

My post race discussions 'in the field of play' with other racers invariably steer away from the misery of a poor time and conclude that finishing tired but uninjured is the best result of all.

Cycling in the kitchen helps achieve that result.

🙂

• Stevie G wrote (see)
    Or am I as always presuming that the way I train is the way everyone trains...ie at race pace, when we've long ago established it's not image

RicF wrote (see)

Training for competition is somewhat risky. Its a gamble treading that fine line between being super fit and injured.

My post race discussions 'in the field of play' with other racers invariably steer away from the misery of a poor time and conclude that finishing tired but uninjured is the best result of all.

Cycling in the kitchen helps achieve that result.

I'd hazard that cycling in the kitchen is safer than cycling on the road, but there is probably a RoSPA report that shows otherwise.

There is a very fine line. I made some great progress training near race pace (FIRST) but both times it has been at the expense of months of recovery from injuries and illness. I'm pretty sure that the last instance was brought around by being overtrained.

I'm not knocking that type of training per se, but I guess it needs to be carried out under supervision (coach) and in the final peak of the training period rather than on one's tod 24/7. And like financial investment, it's a risk/reward strategy. Finishing tired but uninjured is good for longevity but not ego.

It did feel strange initially to do so much easy mileage (run & bike), but I don't get nervous now when heading out for a run, which I used to when training at warp speed.

• Come on Dean, I've seen the result, let's have some reaction.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

dachs - keep repeating those training paces and you will be closer to 15.30 than 16.00 in no time image  plus have the beliefe to go off at your training pace in a race.

notts mile for me last night.   cash money on the line £1000 first prize (though its £250 if you dont break sub 4) down to £75 (i think for 3rd place). 

My targets were to PB as a minimum, acceptable was sub 4.30, stretch 4.24.

after catching up briefly with big bad bob and watching his race (who ran very well but i have commented more on his thread).  I was in the final race, i looked at the start list and could see a number of sub 4 1500, some with 3.50 ish.  so i expected a decent early pace. 14 in the race so i wanted to get out early so im not boxed in.  Gun goes and im in 4th at 209m in 29ish secs. i try to slow but go through 409m in 63sec.  Muppet!  too fast.  i am being carried along by 2 pace makers who dropped out (i didnt know they were at the time) and someone chasing a sub4.  2nd lap i try to slow to compensate for the fast start and get overtaken a few times at 809m in 2.11.  ok thats not far off what i did for my first 800 of my recent 1500.  but the 3rd lap was a blur.  i cant remeber anything other than i had slowed too much probably because i wasnt running an even pace due to the 2 widely diff laps so far.  i was overtaken many times on the 3rd lap but i held on to the back of that group.  off the bell i wake up a bit and work through the group, i need a low 60something sec last lap to get on target here.  i try to work but im not responding as normal, hit 200 and just try and wind it up, overtake a few more and into the last 100m where i see someone i beat in the 1500 about 15m or so ahead.  right im having him!  i kick, its not as fast as usual but im definately making in roads, catch him with a few metres to go and cross the line.  for 6th position.  winner was 4.02

my initial reaction was disappointment and frustration, i had just travelled 75mins for a mile race, missed the football, and threw the race away due to poor pacing.  after the fast first lap i shouldnt have slowed that much on the 2nd as i kept slowing into the 3rd lap too.  it screwed my race.  a valuable learning which i have to improve going forward.   Saw Bob who told me i finished in around 4.26 ish so it wasnt as bad as i feared so the last lap must have been decent.  Went for a warm down and a natter with Bob who is a top bloke who i can see improving his PBs significantly once he gets a season of racing and specific training behind him. 

official time 4.26.9, a PB of 7ish secs and now 5th on the All Time V40 GB rankings and 1st in 2014. (bearing in mind the first 2 spots are taken by world record holder Antony whiteman and 2nd is Dave Moorcroft, its not bad company)  So all things considered it ended up good, its just i cant help feeling if i ran smarter on the 1st lap it would have been even better. image  every race helps with my learning. 

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Top job Deano! imageimageimageimageimage

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Got to be happy with that Dean, and with the expereince even a bit more to queeze out. Well done!

Good report too as usual!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I know you set yourself high standards Dean, but I can see no reason whatsoever to be disappointed with that, that's an outstanding time.  You're an inexperienced racer compared to many, so you're not going to get pacing spot on every time, but you finished strongly, and you know there's more to come if you get it right.  5th on the V40 all-time list is incredible, and well worth missing last night's performance for.

• Dean, man you are hungry! If you can PB and come away with the urge to go faster and a list of reasons why you can do, then surely you will. Surely 4th on the all time list is in the bag (only 0.3 seconds ahead) and maybe 3rd. 

Good run sir!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dean is also the highest person on that list who is PBing after 40.

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭
    Well done Dean, you have to be pleased, but I guess as an athlete there is always something that you could have done better. Still a good time though.
  • Awesome time Dean and 5th all time mighty impressive, something to be hugely proud of!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Well Phillip, maybe Dean listened to Samir after all, the whole reach for the stars thingimage
    Pain is weakness leaving the body