Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

He probably finished before the timers had a chance to get there image

Don't need to Lit - I get email alerts. Not that I want them, but I can't switch the bloody things off, as when I do RW takes offence and decides I don't want to see the thread at all anymore!

• The Bus wrote (see)

Go on lurkers, show yourselves image

Ok ok, I'll come out of hiding...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

25,000 posts.

And they said we'd never last.

We've lost some top fellas along the way. ALD, UG are the two that stand out the most for me.

But we've also got a core of good guys still here.

My main mission these days is to prove myself worthy to actually post on here still. Everyday I ask the question, do I still want it? And the answer is still a resounding yes. Will that change one day? Probably.

Ok, my first mission is getting to actually race again. I can't pretend I'm anywhere near injured, as I'm doing 50 odd miles a week, but it's just too tight to run fast enough to get back to a proper schedule, 7 weeks on.

This week for example, Monday to Thursday, morning 6miles, lunchtime 4miles. Simple. All between 6.50 and 7.15 pace (hill on each route), no speedwork.

I think I'm learning how game Bus is, still racing when he has niggles. I'm like a dutch player, I have to be fully fit to bother.

Looking at the old version of me, smashing 20+ races a year out, most of which I hadn't chosen to do, is like looking at a different person.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SG - keep at it.  You'll be monstering goons in bootleg Cock and Biscuits 10Ks before you know it.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

SG - not so much being game as I just have a compulsion to race, and if I didn't race when I had a niggle, I'd never get to race! Just part of getting old I guess, but you still surprise yourself occasionally and some of my PBs have come in races where I've not felt fully fit or prepared for.

I know where UG is, but whatever happened to ALD?

Duckinator - stop lurking and join in the fun here! We could do with some new blood and looking at your posts on the Middle ground you've got plenty to add to the party image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Stevie G wrote (see)

But we've also got a core of good guys and women still here.

I fixed it for you.

• literatin wrote (see)

I think it's you lot coming back to check for replies every 5 minutes.

Dachs wrote (see)

SG - keep at it.  You'll be monstering goons in bootleg Cock and Biscuits 10Ks before you know it.

SG just get out there and race. You're turning into a Prima-Donna. image

Speaking of C&B 10ks, I came 18th last night at Dinton with a season's best, 9th in AG. Competitive field for the top 5, the rest of us were there to make up the numbers. That said, it was a very well organised event if a little pricey.

Next one is the 14th SG. See you there?

literatin wrote (see)
    Stevie G wrote (see)

But we've also got a core of good guys and women still here.

I fixed it for you.

I think Guys is an Americanism. Don't worry, we consider you one of the ladsimage

• Ok five weeks since hamstring tear and things went like this since

week 1 - 10miles (day of tear) then 6 days off

Week 2 - 37 miles all easy running

week 3 - 54 miles all easy running

week 4 - 60 miles threw in a couple of days where tested hamstring at around 6.30ish pace

week 5 (this week) - heading for 60 again but week has gone like this so far :-

Sunday 11 mile steady 6.35 pace 

Monday last 3 mile ave about 6.12 off a slowish first 5 mile (7.22 pace)

Tuesday last 3 mile ave about 5.58 off an improved pace first 5 mile (6.45 pace)

Wed easy 8.5 at 7.10 pace and

Thur 1 mile steady 6.55 pace, 5 miles in 28.50 and 2 mile warm down 7min mile pace

Still getting a few twinges in left hamstring but Physio thinks its now a nerve thing and if I ease off a touch then it settles down.

Things definitely going in right direction so onward and upward image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

been off sick for last 4 days, only just started eating today.  a nightmare bug that flattens you.  not run all week so perfect build up to the BMC grand prix tomorrow. image

Just seen the start list,  bearing in mind we are ranked #1 & 2 in the v40 rankings for 1500m, never has the gulf between myself and antony whiteman been so apparent. 

I just about scrape into the slowest race for 1500m he is in the A race for 800m.  He will then go on to pace the 3000m later at my 1500m pace. imageimage  i need to train harder next yr.

Rob - good to see you healing.  try to take regular rest. Running streaks are a recipe for injuries...fast types like you need recovery

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Ha ha Dean!  Things can't be too bad if you're even considering comparing yourself to a world record holder.

Illness sounds awful, hope it doesn't affect the race too much.

RobT, good to see you coming back from a nasty injury well.

Tempo or parkrun tomorrow morning?  I cannot decide.  I'm erring towards parkrun, not sure any threshold training will make much difference in the 9 days before my 5K race.

• Dachs, 2 to 3 weeks for any training effect to make any difference, so you are right that 9 days out nothing will help that day, but aid the season ans a whole.

My legs are coming and going but all at the wrong times: Monday watched the TdF down the Mall and jogged there and back, back leg was 7:15, 7:10, 7:05 and 6:55 even though each felt easier than the previous, but Tuesday legs of iron and a disappointing 18:45 5k.

LFOTM in 7 days so trying to cut back and get legs rested will be the big task.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Rob - definitely moving back in the right direction by the sound of things. Dean - only good thing about that type of illness, is that at least you don't put on weight!

Do the parkrun Dachs. Much the same as a tempo effort wise, but a good time will be a nice confidence booster for the target 5k.

Philip - you parkrunning tomorrow? I'm hoping to get to the Rye. Early start though and tight to get there as my daughter is off on a music tour to Holland and I have to take her to get the coach first thing.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

internet's back on oop north image 

Things are looking good for a sub 16 Dachs. 

Missed loads and only skimmed through but good to see you getting back on it RobT.

working long hours recently but still clocking up some miles. 70 last week and should be around 60 with a day off this week including two tempos. Feel as though I'm in decent nick and hoping to do a 10k next Sunday. The two lads who I beat at the relay a couple of weeks ago have raced since with one running 15.38 for 5k and the other 8.42 for 3000.  going to target capenhurst or Lancaster 5k in August as a target race and use the 10k and a couple of other races as markers/hard efforts. 

Need a bit of focus otherwise ill just be plodding 10 miles a day for good. image 

• Good running at parkrun today Dachs! Some good names up top!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Do tell Dachs image

Welcome back Matt!

parkrun for me today. Time was OK - 18:17, but my lowest placing at the Rye in 5th!

It was pretty hot today, but I just felt bloated and uncomfortable the whole way round. Probably down to eating lots of crap yesterday, and having breakfast this morning, which I don't normally do before a parkrun. On the plus side, the second mile with the steps was the quickest for a while at 5:55, so reasonably consistent pacing. Good to catch up with Philip for a warm down afterwards too.

• So as bus says, he left me way behind: 19:15 for 5k so the last 3 have gone 18:14, 18:50 and 19:15 which is the wrong way. Legs are just tired but it isn't a lot of miles: 40 a week and 6 days so pootling along. Hope that it is just the non-running related work that is making them tired: long days doing family stuff including a 500 mile drive in one day to move furniture round the UK.

• A good mileage there Matt.

Yes Dachs, certainly not the tempo that was promised. Though it was nice to see you fighting for positions rather than leading the field by 30s.
    I ran Woodley easy.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    One does not expect to be stalked at parkruns!

Yes, today turned into a proper smackdown. 4 of the fastest 6 ever on that course turned up today, including the record holder and former record holder, both 15:xx and 32:xx men. This made for a right old ding ding at the front, with 1st in 16:01 and 4th in 16:07. I was 3rd in 16:05. Just shows how a bit of competition can raise the game. All of the first 4 PB'ed, and are now 1-4 on the parkrun fastest list. Who says parkruns aren't races...

Sub 16 on a proper fast course is within touching distance.
  • By chance I saw your name as I was doing my usual stalkingimage

As I thought you would agree equivalent of a sub 16 when you look at the other runners and guessing the course isn't a nice road 5km style, very promising to be within seconds there from those guys and a top run IMO!

Good to get "racing" practice in there too Dachs

BUS- the improvement in areas of the run could be a sign of strength coming through underneath feeling like shit so positives to take away
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I hope so Scott! 

Brilliant stuff Dachs, very well done! Just keep it steady and the sub 16 must surely come....

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

very fast one Dachs!

Can only think you know that course so well now, you know where to put the gas on and where to ease.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

good park running Bus and in particular Dachs.  Sub 16 is a given....now its by how muchimage   Phil maybe time to ease off the heavy race schedule and target a specific race and gets some solid training in? 

BMC grand prix for me tomight.  1500m not expecting big things as i have been sick all week and only ate/drank something on thursday night since monday morning.  and only one fast session in the past 2 weeks.  so some sharpness has gone.  hoping for anything under 4.10 but if i could get a pb that would be good.  we were told the pace maker would get us to 800 in 2.06 which he did.  i stayed back and went though in 2.09.  i was starting to feel the lack of sharpness and eased off a little.  Got to 1100 in 3.01 and then just tryed to hang on to 200m to go then i could kick.  got to 200 and was leggy, managed a small kick and crossed the line in 4.07.99.  nearly 3 secs off my PB but all things considered a better performance off the back of the sickness.  Happy that i could hold near my pb.

Whiteman went in the 800 A race winning it in 1.48. A world record for a v40. and the 1st time a vet has won the BMC A Race.  i think the 12th fastest time by anyone in the UK this yr.  He is giving the rest of us vets a bad name image mind you its only him and me in the V40s that have gone faster than my 1500m time tonight this yr. image

• Great running Dean giving the poor build up. 4:07 is still stupidly fast

1:48 for 800 though :/ class! Would have loved to have seen that!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good result that Dean, and even more so given the week before image

1.48 - sheesh!!!

10-12M later this morning to follow. I want to do a progression, building to HMP, but the old problem of having a major hill in the last few miles to get home makes that tricky! Could drive somewhere, but a bit short of time today.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Right then, 11M done and dusted, at 6:54 pace. Progression for the first 6 miles - 7:31, 7:04, 6:43, 6:08 (downhill), 5:58, 6:04. The 5;58 was bloody hard as most of it was under trees and very wet and slippy - every step seemed to be sliding backwards!

then a 1.5M long hill and a few undulations - 7:59, 8:08, 6:43,6:46, 6:52.

Ok with the last few, as it was pretty damn humid and that hill takes it out of you!

Couple of days off now, mid-week evening 5k possibly, then a half on Sunday.

• Come cracking performances there Dean, from you and others!

Well done Dachs & good running Bus.

I took the bike to Marlow and back - down Quarry wood hill and then back up the A308 hill from Bisham, good fun. As Bus said very humid and overcast around the plateau but blue sky once I'd dropped in to the Marlow plain.

A pretty good week to be honest. Slowly building volume back, 7:23 in total this week.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dean, sounds like pretty damn good running to me!  After the illness knocking your whole week out, it's very promising to be only a few seconds from the PB.  I'm sure you'll go under it again soon.  Also must be good to witness history!

Good running too Bus - not thought of doing the progressive bit at the beginning before, I imagine if I tried that it'd be messy!

Cheers Scott, the two who were only a couple of seconds ahead at parkrun have both done mid 15s on the track this year, so it's certainly promising.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

End would have been better, but topography rules! It does make as sub 7 at the end seem fairly easy though!

Ah, the words I really wanted to read in the paper today in the run up to the Wycombe Half:

"heat wave expected by the end of the week"

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Well done Dean and Dachs. When's the target race Dachs? 

Nice progression there Bus. 

Phil, a 500 mile drive and hectic days are bound to have an effect. I'm sure you'll get back on target.

10 mile tempo effort for me yesterday, 3 decent hills in the route which came at 690ft of ascent and came out at 5.59 pace. Followed that up with a day on the beer and woke up at 7am on the couch next to a half eaten pizza. Had booked the day off today and had arranged to run the route of a fell race with a group, so at 8.30 I ran 9.2 miles with 2500ft of ascent. 

wasnt my greatest idea all things considered. Sorted me out and sobered me up though. Been out for another 4 this evening and legs feel fine which is pleasing.