Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• I wouldn't pay to run easy with X many people. I'm too tight. Probably as tight as my right calf is now.

I always found drinking loads solved every problem. Until the morning after anyhow. Then I found I had loads more problems. image

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Bus, 'just remembered' was probably the wrong choice of words. I knew it was creeping up and knew the dates clashed but would've been a ball ache to do the race. Would've either had to stay over on the Friday or make the 2 hour or so drive this morning. Looks like I made the right choice though as it was a shortened course apparently today. 

Over indulged again last night at a local 20/20 cricket final. Again I woke up on the sofa. if I don't buck up today/tonight then I might just do a long run tomorrow morning and scrap the 10k. There's a 5k on Thursday evening and one on Saturday evening which I'd like to do so maybe 3 races in 7 days isn't the best idea. Would have to drop my daughter at my parents at 7am tomorrow so not sure i can be honest with that either. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Was it shortened due to thunder storms Matt? You're getting fond of that sofa image

Stevie G wrote (see)

And no I'm not going to pay £20 and do it within the race image

Ahh, I get it now SG - you're just tight image

Probably wise as well mind! Looking a bit cooler tomorrow, but 90% humidity at 9am won't be pleasant.

Iron - image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Matt, 2hour drive to a race sounds tasty....I do 2 or 3 70-80mile 90min jobs in a year, but 2hours is just beyond comfortable I think.

Talking about just beyond comfortable...very humid around Wycombe today. A 42min 6mile run felt pretty arduous conditions wise. Good luck to the racers tomorrow!

Iron, last line made me chuckle!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

managed to put on 11lbs in my 4 days in washington so having to do some additional miles to clear the weight. looks like tuesdays 3k is out but hopefully can get some decent training in for a week on wednesday.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Blimey Dean - that's good going image

• That's a whole lot of Philly cheese steak! 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Dean you can't put on 11lbs in 4 days; it is probably mainly retained water from all the extra salt.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Impressive stuff Dean. You do everything so much faster than everyone else, including weight gain.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

cheesburger reps perhaps??

Right, Wycombe Half done and dusted this morning. Not sure where everyone was today, maybe numbers at the sharp end were low as it wasn't the county champs this year or on Po10, but I ended up with my highest position there! 6th place overall and 1st V40.

It shows something though that there were 2 V50s in front of me (though to balance it out, the race was won by an Olympic Athlete and 65 min half man).

My time was 1:22:38 - not my best on the course by 52 secs, but 3rd best out of 13 on a warm and humid day, with almost no company for most of the race and after a prolonged period of low level niggles, I'm happy with that. Even better, I beat the guy who pipped me on the line on Wednesday night image

The profile below shows what makes this such a difficult race. It's not the first big hill, but the long drag for the last 6 miles, which is all very slightly uphill.

http://chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=lc&chs=1000x140&chco=B88A00&chxt=x,y&chxr=0,0,21.25376039974&chxl=1image50|100&chxp=1,18,61&chg=0,43,1,5,0,18&chd=s:UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUVVUUUUUUUUUUUUVVVVVVVVWWWXXYYZaabcdeffhijkllmmnopppoooooopppqqqstuuuwyz011222112222223455667777777777777777778888888888888888899999999999998888888777777766666555555666666544433333333334444445555556666655555544444443222222222233444555555444444444444433333332222111111000zzzyyyyxxwwwvwwwwwwwwwvvvvuuttttsttttuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuttttssssssrrrrrrssrrrrrqqqqpppppppppppppppoooooppppqqqqqqqqrrrrrrrrrrssssssrrrrqqqqqqqpppppooooooonnnnnooppppppoooooooooooppppooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnoooooppppppppoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooppqqqqqqqqqrrrrrrrqqqqqqqqqqppppppppppppppppppppooooooonnnnnnnooonnnnnnnnnnmmmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnmmmllkkjjjihhggfedcbaaZYYXWVUTSSRQQQPPONNMMMLLLKKJJJJJIIIHHHGGGGFFFEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDCCCCBBBBAAABBAAAAAAAAABBBBABBBBAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBCDDEFFFFGGGGGGGFFFEEDDCCBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBCBBBCCCBBBBBBCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCDDDDDDEEEEEEEFFFFFFFEFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFGGGGFFFFFFFGGHHHHIIIIJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLMMLLMMMMMNOOONOOOPPOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNMNNOOOPPPOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQRRRRRRRRRRRSSRRRRRRRRRQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQRRSSSTTTTTTTTTTTSSSSSSSSRRQQQQQRRRRRRQQRRRSSSSSTTTTTUUUVVVVVWWWWWWWWWWVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVWWWWWVWWWWWWWWVVVVVVVVUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTUTTTTTTTTTTTT&debug=29|146|50|1image50

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Eh, maybe that didn't work then!!!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

very nice day's work indeed Bus. Would be delighted with another top 10 finish. Think my best was 16th, that last time you beat me in 2010.

But yeah, 6th really is top of the possibilities when you have the likes of Cooray, May, Derek Brown etc out there!

Can certainly back you up on the humidity... was shirt off fare at 7am, let alone race time. Where is the County champs half then this year? Always seemed an odd race to have it at, a hard mid July race!

Certainly made the right decision not racing it. Instead did a 13miler in 1hr 32 which was nice, but from 8miles in was getting pretty tight and restricted. Last mile I had Phil's company, out for a jog before his marshalling duties.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks SG. Funnily enough I had Philip's company too - as I warmed up and he jogged off to his marshaling point!

Marlow Half is the County Championship race this year image

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Well done Bus. A solid run there in humid conditions. 

If Sebs lurking out there, Well done to you too. Nothing like easing your way back in with a 25k fell race and winning it! I had toyed with the idea of doing Holme Moss instead of this mornings 10k and then I saw the distance and some of the race reports on how difficult it was and if I couldn't manage a 10k then the fell race would've been stupid! Think the course record is 2hours 20 something. :-/

ended up going for a long run instead of the 10k. 15 miles @ 6.52 pace, some off road and over a 1000ft of ascent. Enjoying the hills at the minute. Slightly annoyed that the 10k I turned down was won in 35.xx. Lesson learned. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks Matt - impressive long run there.

Seb - come on, we need that race report mate!!!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

well done Bus.  High placing and vet prize. Congrats.

carved a couple of lbs off already by running an 8m and a 10m in the last 2 days.  Still way over.  the first run felt odd, couldnt get above 7mm no matter how much i tried.  10m i just ran to feel and managed 6.49 ave.  going to do a double day tomorrow.  Who would have thought 50cm wide bbq ribs and getting lagered every night would have an adverse effect on running.

• Cracking effort Bus! I ventured towards Marlow again and it was definitely warm in that part of the world today. 'Interesting' profile.
    Dean, I'm about 5-6kg heavier than in December and it is a fair whack extra to carry about.
    That's a hell of an LSR Matt.
    SG, that Phil does seem to get about a lot. He'll get a reputation as some form of thread tart.

Yesterday was parkrun as a hard effort, which I managed for about 2km before the calf got tight so eased up. Today was 70km on the bike out through Sonning, Henley, Marlow, Maidenhead and home. Completely familiar with navigation in the greater Bersk/Bucks area then got lost 3km from home resulting in an extra 10min diversion. Ho hum. 2 bottles of water (1.5L) was no enough and I had headaches and felt unwell for a bit upon return.

I have resigned from Finch and now have a TVT vest for the winter season.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Iron, I was quite surprised, at setting off at 7.20, with the race starting at 9.30, that it took until I was 11 miles in, less than 50mins before the start that I even saw anyone marshall related...

and that was Phil!

Why the complete resignation from Finch? Can you get the TVT lot to run the proper route at the XC next year? Rather than that watered down, ridiculously short one from last year? or at least tell people it's just over 4miles or so, so we're not surprised with it round the last corner?

• I didn't run with Finch much last year, only XC really. Since moving house the opportunities to run with them are even fewer. It doesn't make financial sense to pay for 2 clubs and not use one of them.

When the XC discussion comes up again I'll pass on your comments.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I just remember being massively caught out by the finish, as I was expecting at least another 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile.

Had nicely positioned behind two chaps, then round a corner and they were on the sprint, and I was...out of luck!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Stop talking about XC already, its proper racing season!

Bus, I'd say that's a pretty impressive looking performance, particularly given the issues you've been having, and also given what the weather was like. Great time and damn good position too.

Tomorrow I find out whether spending 2 days in a tent scuppers a target race.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

it's all about XC Dachs, as with a bit of luck i'll actually be back then.

Otherwise it'll be talking about March racing already...and if not the summer 5ks I've missed this year!

Wow time flies

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    DeanR7 wrote (see)

Who would have thought 50cm wide bbq ribs and getting lagered every night would have an adverse effect on running.

image Not me, that's for sure - sounds like a damn good pre-race hydration and fueling strategy!

Thanks Iron. Sounds like a pretty tough outing on the bike.

Cheers Dachs, and good luck tomorrow!

Just been looking at the details of Seb's race - seems like it was a real tough one and the boy sure did good!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Just back from an outing to Emley Moor (up north) and having had a quick read through the posts, felt in full agreement with IC's sentiments.

Bus, I was thinking of the Wycombe Hm when I was descending a 1 in 10. Ouch!

Dean, I put on 17lb at 1lb per day once, so impressed. I regard the extra weight as resources to draw on. And weight training, sort of.

Matt, I'll have a go at something similar tomorrow. Obviously a darn sight slower whether I like it or not.

IC, on my 50 milers (bike) I used a camelback and a pack of dextrose for reduced feebleness. Seemed to work ok. Well done on the effort though.

SG, I drink like I do, because as one precaution against avoidable injuries, it seems to work. 

For what its worth, I once ran 25 miles without a drink. In fact I used to do all my runs without a drink. And races too. So I can do it.

🙂

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Thanks Bus.  Sub 16.  So it is written.  So it shall be done.

• Fuelling/nutrition is a bit of a black art. Yesterday was fuelled on squash and a flapjack about an hour in. The ride per se wasn't tough, but the heat & humidity added a certain je ne sais quoi. I guess in hindsight it was a day where I should have added some electrolytes in to the mix.

Dachs wrote (see)

Thanks Bus.  Sub 16.  So it is written.  So it shall be done.

Good luck. Don't be shit.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Interesting discussion about fuelling and hydration on the move in the TdF on Saturday.

They were saying that if you are fuelling, the body cannot absorb liquid and hydrate properly so on the long, hot climbs the riders have to make sure they get the strategy right and eat before the climbs, even though either drinking or eating can be pretty tricky when climbing an Alp!

I did drink more than normal beforehand yesterday and made sure I had something at every drinks station.

• Dachs you're faster than me over 10k so you need to put that straight over 5k I'm sure you can!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Dachs - don't be shit ????
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    ;-) bloody question marks