Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Bus, one thing I have forgot to mention is that I've managed to get a ticket for the commonwealth games a week on Friday. That's the 10000m evening. Just hope Mo is fit and raring! image
  • Matt I'm up there on Thur/Fri/Sat same ticket as you Friday night but we are also going Thur. We are staying in Falkirk.

Really looking forward to it going with 3 other mates and obviously a few beers will be consumed image

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Were just heading up on the Friday and back home after as mr Barnes managed to get the tickets last week. The accommodation was a bit pricey he was saying so someone has volunteered to drive there and back.

I'm off the drink after my last two weekends!
  • I'll keep a look out for you and Chris be good to say hello

Have you been indulging then last few weekends?

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, last Sunday and then Friday just gone. For somebody who shouldn't even drink I've got myself in some right states this last week.
  • Matt - your mate/rival David Rigby had a decent run at Elswick 10m on Saturday and won in 53:26. Would have been interesting to see what you could have done as very fast route.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Interesting about the TDF. Ross Naylor (fell runner) ate on the run, but only on the descents for reasons of digestion.

A good sign you are hydrated enough on a LSR, is that your kidneys continue to process fluid. Which means now and again you'll have to stop for a piss. That's the proof its easy enough.

If you're pushing the pace, your kidneys don't bother processing the excess fluid. Must be a mechanism that says, 'This fluid will be needed elsewhere soon'. Races are just pushing the pace even harder. 

Lately I haven't had to stop on the longer runs. I'm not jogging those, or racing them.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That'll be the one!

Johnas - I just did a search for phots of Wycombe Half and one of the first images that came up was one you psted in 2009 of the Jumbo Jet at bourne End!!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Sorry, Jos Naylor.

See, age & memory loss.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/DSC_0527.JPG

Couldn't forget this though.

My cousin was in the road when the previous mast came crashing down nearby.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Is that Emley Moor Ric?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Sure is Bus. I spent the summer of 1970 playing under and around that. 

Went there to drop off my mothers ashes.

She wanted to go home.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

After what happened to the last one and your brother's near miss, I'm surprised you were allowed to play anywhere near it image

Seb will have had a good view of this yesterday (or possibly not if it was misty!)

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I'll tell my cousin 'Rose' that she is now my brotherimage.

The old transmitter was one made from tubular steel and was held up with wires. Didn't like getting coated in ice, so fell down.

Must have been going well yesterday. I ran at an easy effort from the hotel up to the mast. Just over 2 miles with 510 feet of climbing. Just under 9 minute mile pace.

Only 4 miles easy this morning, which makes three easy days back to back.

Easy for me is wu/wd effort. 9 minute mile pace.

Its the days I do the sessions when the boot goes in. 

🙂

• Sorry for being a running tart: I'm now out in the USA running with two of the three clubs I am associated with here. The one I'm not running with this time is my favourite, http://www.thereservoirdogs.com/, who run round Central Park.

• It's always good to hook up with a local club while travelling. Get some local knowledge and banter.

That's a big one Ric!

RicF wrote (see)

Interesting about the TDF. Ross Naylor (fell runner) ate on the run, but only on the descents for reasons of digestion.

A good sign you are hydrated enough on a LSR, is that your kidneys continue to process fluid. Which means now and again you'll have to stop for a piss. That's the proof its easy enough.

If you're pushing the pace, your kidneys don't bother processing the excess fluid. Must be a mechanism that says, 'This fluid will be needed elsewhere soon'. Races are just pushing the pace even harder. 

Lately I haven't had to stop on the longer runs. I'm not jogging those, or racing them.

I've done my fair share of eating/drinking on the move. Solids early on the bike, then move to gels (one every 20mins) later. Once on the run my body decided it didn't want gels so had jaffa cakes, crisps and bananas.

I'm typically hydrated enough to pee lots during the day. I have noticed that when pushing the pace I don't need that pee I should have done before lining up at the start. Of course, if the first part is a swim it's not a problem image

Sounds like my easy pace Ric. I have easy and super easy.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

IC, I'll start out at 10 minute plus pace so as to give my circulation a chance to get going. 

The ironic thing about this hydration business is that even during the heat of the summer, drinking enough is a bit of a chore, easy to forget. 

The most impressive bit of non drinking I've ever witnessed was a runner who just before an evening (summer) track session, declared he'd only drunk one cup of tea since he'd woken up. 

🙂

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    15:42 tonight for 4th. Yay! Full report to follow, since I'm sat on the train now.
  • Brilliant Dachs! Smashed 16 into smithereens
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Well done Dachs. 15:42, crikey that's quick.image

I was trying to work out the mile pace and came up with something nearly starting with a '4'. 

Must be a good feeling, sprinting for over three miles.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

what on earth Dachs, what on earth have you been doing in training son!

Me and Bus show what you should be doing with age.. cracking up and only managing to continue through sheer bloody mindedness and a colossal amount of rehab

15.42 is a time that should make a sub 33 10k smalltime as an aim!

Where on earth was this race?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

London Transcedant 5k?

20under 17mins last time out!

Bus...let's bookmark this one...could be the fast one we'd always talked about (and never done anything about finding) image

• In the words of an American colleague: "Holy smokes". That is pretty epic Dachs.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Hey SG, what you saying? Oddly, my Adductors have been fine since smashing them down Chapman Lane yesterday!! 

Ric - oops, sorry - cousins/brothers. Same thing image

Philip - you are so cosmopolitan image

Dachs - imageimageimage Very well done indeed - that is a serious time! A result of hard work and determination and very much deserved. You must be the fastest planner in the country too image. Yes SG, sounds like a good course as well....

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I don't use the word hero very often, but Dachs, you are the greatest hero the world has ever known, Cripes.

Along with Bus's 6th yesterday in the big local face off, I am colossally inspired to get back and put in some race performances. (ideally colossal, but if not, just actually racing).

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, that was because you were taking it easy with no one in front or behind image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That is almost very true SG image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Cheers for the kind words chaps.  I am very chuffed indeed.  I think it's testament to what can be done with focussing on one distance for a while and gearing everything towards that distance.

Bus, you would have thought I would be, but I know of at least two faster planners just in the south!

So I had been using 15:45 as my goal pace for training.  Initially I did this because I train well compared to how I race, so the target was still 15:59, but as training went on I started to think 15:45 might actually be doable.  Plan was therefore to set out at 15:45 pace (3:09 per km) and try to hang on.

Course and conditions were perfect.  Perfectly flat, 2 laps, and only 4 corners in the entire race, with the rest all being gentle curves.  I don't mind a bit of heat for a 5k, and it was all shaded.

Bit of a stampede at the start, and then when the dust settled there was a group of three out front with me a few metres adrift.  A little annoyed that I hadn't managed to position myself in a group.  First mile in 5:00 dead - a little too tasty and I was already feeling it.  As the first lap came to a close I started to feel really fatigued, but gritted my teeth.  Second mile in 5:10 - not fast enough.  Determined not to let the pace drop I chase the person who's dropped off the leading group, and overtake with just under a mile to go, moving into third.  Absolutely shattered now, but got to keep the legs moving.  Someone moves up onto my shoulder with a km to go and moves past.  I try to go with him, but I don't have the legs. In 4th now, and I know sub 16 is in the bag, but I want more. 500m to go and my legs have gone, my form has gone and I feel awful, I'm all over the place.  Third mile 5:06.  Try to sprint but I can't, and cross the line in 15:42 for 4th.

Feel elated but sick as hell afterwards, a feeling I've only ever had after marathons.  I think that means I squeezed everything out I could possibly get.  A pleasing thing to know.

It was a strong race as well - top 7 under 16!  Highly recommended for anyone seeking a fast 5K in the south.

Jogged back to the tube (1.5 miles) then, because bus times were rubbish, also jogged the 3.5 miles back from Reading station.  Felt OK by then.

• Super run Dachs! So pleased for you! Indeed that little bit of focus post VLM has really done some good! Absolutely smashed it! And as Stevie G said. Sub 33 looks like the next one / doable one

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Brilliant run Dachs! The hard work and focus has certainly payed off! The same focus on a 10k like Leeds abbey dash will see you way below 33 mins.