Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

definitely something to try and emulate one day Dachs. Well, the taking 20+ secs off the pb at the right setting race rather than the sub 16!

In less impressive fare, I'm off for my standard 7am 6miler now...same dull regime for the last couple of months now, but hopefully will mean I can easily re-apply the faster stuff on top of this base when the body allows!

• Well done Dachs

Not at your level by a long way but I found following the sessions Dean posted had a massive impact on 5k time (2 sessions a week - 1 at 5k pace and the other quicker). From your report it sounds like you paced it to perfection. Awesome.

• Dachs wrote (see)

Cheers for the kind words chaps.  I am very chuffed indeed.  I think it's testament to what can be done with focussing on one distance for a while and gearing everything towards that distance.

No doubt built on the back of a good marathon campaign and some consistently high-mileage months?

Sounds like a cracking outing.

~11km easy this morning. Tired legs, and then struggled with HR cap towards the end. Rest day tomorrow as we drive to France for a well earned break. image

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I might be wrong but I think when I joined the thread there wasn't anyone with a sub 16 and most, including myself were either just dipping under 17 or hadn't yet done so. I think there's 4/5 now targeting sub 15.30!
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

IC, indeed.  I will post my full schedule a bit later on in case anyone wants to make a note (possibly an arrogant assumption, but I guess sharing training is what this thread is about), but the last couple of months of 5K specific work came off the back of building a big base in marathon training.

Matt - 15:30! image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

On my run this morning I was thinking that, Dachs. All that marathon mileage had to end up somewhere. My gut feeling is that if the London Marathon was now just a week away, you would smash it.

I could do 15:30 no problem. For two and a half miles that is.

12 miles for me today. Same route as a month back. Felt easier, was faster and I didn't feel tired this time. Av pace 7:11. 

Worked out hydration from a base weight of 127.5lb's. Weight on return 127.2lb's.

From diary 1989, 12 miles av 7:30m/ml. Dropped 5lb's in weight, feel ill.

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Dachs, surely once the 16 barrier is gone then the next one has to be 15.30.

RicF, good run there. I shifted 5lb on last nights 10miler. I'm not brilliant with hydration and also the mound of hot chillies I ate at dinner didn't help as I had to 'go' on the canal banking. image I'm going to get caught one of these days. Haha
  • Matt I'm with you image 15.30 great target!!

Dachs absolutely brilliant great run well done now your faster a 5 and 10k than me I'll just have to work harderimage

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Agreed Ric, things often don't work as expected, but usually the reward comes down the line.

Inspired by Dach's feat last night, i found my normal morning 6mile route coming out the fastest it has done at dead on 7min miling. Which felt good as 3/4 of a mile starts on a fairly sharp hill and ends through offroad and woods. Starting to feel that a return to proper training isn't too far away...patience though

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Dachs - Superb.  could tell from your training you were well under of 16mins, as you were hitting times similar to me when i trained for the 5k.  So expected a time close to mine.  My only worry was if you were brave enough to attack the race early and a 5min first mile shows you were ! 

Find another 5k in the next 2 weeks, on the track or at a BMC regional if you have to.  Go for sub 15.30.   I would be tempted to have a crack at a 3k as well.

My coach believed that othe day i ran my 5k PB i would have run a sub 32.30 10k.  So sub33 shouldnt be much of a problem

Congrats!

Matt3 wrote (see)
    I might be wrong but I think when I joined the thread there wasn't anyone with a sub 16 .!

*Cough* Rob and Me *cough* image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dean - thanks!  I'll have a look around to see what else I can do, though I have a 10K lined up the week after next.  I'll give a try for sub 33, but it's not a super fast course, and the training I've been doing is very 5K specific so not sure if it'll convert as well as I might hope.

How does the BMC thing work then?  Clearly they have membership standards that are well out of my league, but can you as a slower runner just apply to run one of their regional races and see if they have space and/or the patience to wait for you to finish?

Nice run SG, hopefully you'll be back to proper training and racing soon.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Dorney Dash this Sunday Dachs?

Entries close Friday on line last time I looked.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Edit - this saturday not Sunday!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

With out being too rude the standards to get in the Elite/Gold or grand prix will probably prove an obstacle but the regional races have a more relaxed entry and will have some super fast but plenty slower than you. They tend to be in areas that dont have a good open fixture.  for example in manchester we have the stretford open every 3 weeks & in watford you have the same. so i dont think there are regional races in manchester or watford.

Actually isnt there a watford open next week on wednesday?  i was planning on coming down but i have vets league closer to home. i think you would get close to 9mins over 3k

Im hoping to get into the Coventry BMC  in a couple of weeks (maybe try your arm Samir style!)  I just need to clear the excess weight, which is now down to only 4 lbs over thanks to double long runs.

• Dorney will be windy.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Usually (bloody was last time I did a race there!) but forecast is for light winds this Saturday.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice race Dorney Dash Dachs. Quality can be up and down though. I did it in 2011,and was something like 11th or 12th. Phil Wicks winning, and a sprinkling of 32s to 34s.

Then they missed a year for the Olympics, and the year after I believe our very own Johnas was 2nd or 3rd in perhaps 35 something?

So you might lack a bit of company for the aim you have.

Also, you have to be lucky with it not being a scorcher, and also windy from the flat open lake setting!

Have often thought a proper competitive 5k round that route would be perfect, but there only seem to be those bootleg no standard, ultra expensive rubbish ones put on by mercenaries.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I think I know the type of event SG.

I imagine the mercenaries start anything they ever do by rating their time at a minimum of £500 per day and working backwards towards a final price.

They end up with a 10k costing £40 to enter and a results list that reads,34, 36, 40, 42, all the way down to 86th place in 1:43.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Not even that high a standard Ric.

And I think I remember the 5k being something like £25 and 20 or so mins winning the 5k.

Probably costs a bomb to hire that setting though, and I know the Dashers wouldn't dream of only running a 5k for the fee involved.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    I'm not around for it anyway, would've been a good suggestion otherwise. Apart from anything else, Datchet putting it on means their fast guys don't actually run it.
  • Dorney is horrendously expensive, even down at the cheap end of the lake. Hence you'll see a day or morning of many activities. Some form of multisport plus a 5k & 10k (NAD).

Off to France tomorrow for 2.5 weeks holiday. No bike image but plenty of cheese and wine. image

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Vive la Vacances, Chat de Fer! Sans bicyclette? Sacre bleu monsieur!! 

• About 9 weeks away Dachs ( but time for specific 10km stuff) Bournemouth and Pompey 10kms are on weekend of 4/5th October...maybe not to much hassle to get too and from
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • There's more at shorter notice in fact on closer look

Victory 10km 14th September ...

http://www.runningdiary.co.uk/go/allevents.cgi
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Dachs - you are hot right now.  use it and get a track 3k in or a 5k soon as possible

My first track session in about 2 and half weeks but luckily was a nice session of 4*2*200m to ease me back in.  target time was 28/29s they came out:

27, 28, 28, 28

27, 27, 28 ,27

in truth i had to work harder than normal to get them so defn felt that im not race sharp.  but a few more sessions like this and i will get it back.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ive done the victory 5 the last 3years.the 10k runs parallel, but is very much billed as a fun run. So be wary if planning it expecting a good field! Its the only time ive ever seen a funrun longer in distance then the main race!
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I was planning on the Victory 5 anyway rather than the 10K.  Various calculators are giving me a 5m potential time of around 26 dead now, and I would suspect a 5K to 5m conversion isn't likely to be massively inaccurate.  Tempting...

I'll see what I can do at Yateley in a couple of weeks, but otherwise I'm happy to leave having a proper crack at a 10K until Leeds Abbey Dash anyway.

Good stuff Dean.  That's burned off a fair few spicy chicken wings.

• When is the abbey dash, Nov time? Does it fill up quickly?

I have nothing pencilled in that month..
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

IC - mid November.  I'd imagine it fills up, it's building quite a reputation.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

26 dead wow. Although my 5mile pb is actually at Marlow, Victory is a faster course, It's a lovely race Dachs. Quality field, nice fresh coast air, and a fast course.

Out of my 3 races there, the second was the best, and started a glorious 6month period through to March 2013 of pbs at 5m, 10m, 5k, 10k and half. Hopefully they won't be the final pbs!

Still, one step at a time, get this 90% niggle free to 100%, and get cracking again!