Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• I was thinking of victory 5 as I am off that weekend but unlikely to be in proper shape now! Stevie G how is that race though? It would be good to see you back racing I think it's getting under your skin

Dachs - with the recent fast 5km and last solid 10km you'd be well up the field looking at past results so maybe a chance at a prizes too...

Dean - very fast as usualimage
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • X post!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

it's worth you turning out either way I think Scott, especially as it's fairly local for you? For me it'd be an 80mile drive, so probably not worth it this year.

Starts on a track for 200m or so, to get you monstering from the off, and then a good out and back route. There's a slight incline midway, and you do get a bit of wind down the last mile or so, but then you have the last 400m or so back for a glorious finish, last 200m or so on the track again.

And you're right, i'd fancy a race or 2 as soon as i've done a faster session or 2. What I find these days is that i barely miss any actual training days injured, perhaps 4 or so in the last year, but get a yearly niggle and take a couple of months to ease it out. Normally ones that you can run through quite comfortably, but limit the top end, and stall you for a bit!

• Yeah I'm only in Southampton so half hour for me..

I have pencilled in the SEAA fell race series too which is on the IOW the 13/14th 3 stage race so will see what happens. If I'm in half decent shape I think it'll have to be Victory otherwise may use the series as a good two days of training getting in a HM distance on the Sunday....

Sounds a good course though!

Likewise I'm out of pure racing with injury although back to half decent mileage last 3 weeks just no hard sessions for near 2 months bar 2/3 days...although tonight that will change in a summer XC race.. Don't have expectations and pressure off.

I think a bit of time off from running hard in a grind has got me tingling again about some racing.. I'm sure you can capitalise on the steady block though Stevie and come back stronger

I signed up for Brighton half today! Eeeek
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Yeah sometimes i think you can get a bit mentally weary of races, especially if you've done a bunch without hitting pbs. A break can revitalise.

When is the Brighton half? I expect it's like a lot of these seaside races, potentially a fast course but subject to windy conditions which can scupper it.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

All true! 

Very hot one at lunch, luckily about half under tree cover! Legs a bit tired, but pretty pleased that I was able to run OK last night and today after Wycombe. Last year I couldn't run for a week my legs were so smashed!

Still tempted by Dorney, but not sure the legs will be THAT fresh by Saturday!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Good to see you tackling a half Scott!  Try to get Samir to sign up for it too, it could be a proper clash.

I've entered the Cardiff Half - October 6th.  Flat, plus it runs around a bunch of my old student haunts, including the next road along from where I used to live. Won't be in peak half marathon condition, but sure I can squeeze out a decent one.

Good to hear your legs aren't too smashed Bus.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Didn't know you were an ex Cardiff student Dachs - me too (though a long time ago!). I lived in Roath and Grangetown and I met the Mrs in the student union! I bet it's a good half - a bit of re-hydration with a pint of Brains would be good too!

• Ah it's not till February 22nd next year! Ages! My plan now will be to follow a 15 week program once I'm injury clear, 10km target race - But race a 10miler this year either GSR or lordshill 10 I think inbetween the program and race some XC

Always wanted to do a HM and wanted to get a base build through winter using the XC season.. So next year always on the cards.. I originally was toying with a debut at the new Southampton HM in April but if I can get a race before that'll be ok...I enjoyed Ryde 10 and think I'll do that just before this HM (2weeks before)

And Scott vs Samir showdown would indeed but epic! I'm sure he's come along way now though and would be interested to see how good he actually isimage

I have no idea about goal times though so will wait until full time training and how fitness pans out

Went to Cardiff once Dachs - got terribly drunk image but loved it
  • Hell, I may even blag an "elite" entry too
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Loving the country trekking Dach. If there's one sign you're in peak condition, it's selecting fast races no matter where they are. Clearly at the moment, the race at the bottom of my own garden last sunday was too far away image

The only good thing about getting niggles these days, is I know how to fast track through the waiting for appointments and stuff. First time round it was wait for a doc appointment for a week or 2, be told to rest, take NSAIDs and come back if no improvement. Then get put on the physio list and wait 6-8 weeks for them to ring you, THEN book the appointment.

This time round, It was ring the doc Fri, point out it's similar to the referral last year (ish), rang the Physio place today, and have the appointment tomorrow! Less than a week...epic!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

The less I race, the less I seem to want to race. Talked myself out of a 5k tomorrow night and nearly canned the one on sat evening. image 

working 11 hour days at the minute either in the bloody sun or in a hospital plant room which is touching 90 degrees. Falling into my house after work of an evening as I'm shattered Is not the best prep for an evening race. 

quick reps Dean! 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Funny you say that Matt, as chatting with an occasional forumite last night, I mentioned how physios always give you the rolling eyes when you mention you work in an office.

He works as a builder, which surely has to make it harder to run big mileage. Physical job and physical sport? tricky mix!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

There's times I envy people who get to sit at a desk and take the weight off their feet whilst at work but I'd be about 15 stone if I didn't have an active job. Talking with a work pal today and both agreed it doesn't help with walking in heavy steel toe cap boots everyday. Makes wearing racing flats a nice change! 

just recently the first mile or so of my runs have been really lethargic and I've once or twice thought about turning for home. Once the legs have got going the easy runs have felt comfortable. The heat is a big factor no doubt. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Not surprised you are feeling lethargic in this heat Matt - it's bad enough sitting in front of my PC at work, so can't imagine what real work is like!

That said, look at all the fell-running greats (now including Seb!!!!!) and they all had hard, physical jobs so it's not without its benefits even if you do feel knackered.

SG - knowing how to get in front of those Physios in Cressex is a definite plus as they are a good bunch for sure.

Scott - is this your first half then?

I seriously cannot remember a single night in Cardiff where I wasn't drunk (and I lived there for 4 years!). Part of the reason why my short term memory is so crap I guess image. Worst one was probably the "ten-pint challenge" (t-shirts available) at the Heath hospital - running there (and I wasn't a runner!) after a tonne of mashed spuds, then consequently being sick after downing the second pint in one and therefore having to start again under the rules probably didn't help image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Fair play to any one who does a physical job. I simply couldn't stick that.

Our office is a food company, so there's always oodles of junk food hanging around. But luckily I have an unfeasonably disciplined side, and don't touch any of the stuff they taunt me with my leaving literally right by my desk.

Just have to suffer the sea of goons all thinking they're being funny, trying to tempt me into it, every single day with the same old gags. As they waddle off.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, it was a choice of with 2 weeks for the physio I've had before, or take a next day appointment with someone new.

No brainer really! just need to find a way to explain how although I'm doing 58miles a week, I need physio! 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The problem with office work and running is that there's no transitional activity. You go from sleeping and sitting for 20 hours or more, to extreme sudden effort. The system tends to find that a bit too much of a shock.

I have a physical job, but only on my terms. If I get tired I stop or stop before I get too tired. Employees don't have the choice, now that's tricky.

Just extra training as far as I'm concerned. 

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

There is a bit of wandering around, and then a good warm up before hard sessions Ric.

I've tried to tell my body to enjoy this relative easy spell, as it's quite something to get up at 6am knowing some monster tempo or reps session will start at 7.30 or so after a 30min warm up!

However, it doesn't listen. It wants back up to full speed now.

The best thing with training to the levels we do on this thread, is we don't suffer weather related misery as much as casuals. Yes, a race might well be weather affected, but just going for an easy run in the snow or blazing heat isn't normally a thing at all. Yet office folk act as if you're amazing for doing it!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Yep Bus, did my degree at Swansea and Masters at Cardiff. I also lived in Roath (Alfred Street) and then Cathays. Family connections to Roath too - my grandmother grew up off Albany Road, while my grandfathers parents lived in and had a shop in City Road. My mum grew up just up the road in Pen y Lan. Whilst plenty of Brains SA was imbibed, I was slightly older and poorer, so didn't take it to massive excess anymore.

Be interesting to see what you could do for a Half Scott.

Cheeky low key open 1500 for me tonight at Oxford. Targeting 4:20 was in hindsight a little ambitious after Monday's exertions, so ended up with 4:24.84. No real zip in the legs, hardly surprisingly. Still, its a PB by a couple of seconds. Saw PC2 storming an 800.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Yes SG, doing speed sessions at dawn certainly separates those on the thread from casuals.

I tend not to mention running 12/15 miles before breakfast to some people. For a start they'll assume I'm making it up, and then get all embarrassed when they find out its true.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Small world - for a while I lived in a flat on the junction of Albany Road and city Rd Dachs, and spent a lot of time in the Royal George. It was known as "death junction" at that time...

Ric - people at work are now used to the weird running related stuff I do. I could tell them I'd run 50 miles into work in a mankini and they would no longer bat an eyelid!

It's not all black and white working in an office though. Whilst not exactly full on physical, and sitting is the new smoking, I'm sure most runners would make an effort not to just sit in one position for hours on end. I always get up and walk around, usually walk a fair bit at lunchtime and include the occasional walk up the 22 flights of stairs to my floor for example, as well as cycling to and from the station when not running.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Can't knock a PB Dachs!

Don't think I'd ever swap for an office or desk job mind you. The thing I get off workmates SG is about not wanting a full English breakfast everyday, chippy for dinner then 8 pints and a curry at night. When working away the breakfast, 8 pints then the curry used to be the norm.

I did treat myself today mind you.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I'd better get to sleep before all that drinking and eating talk gives me ideasimage. Might already be too late.

🙂

• Bus - Yes it'll be my first half (road) If I race the IOW fell series it technically is a HM on the Sunday but I wouldn't count it LOL

I've done one 10miler though so it's not a huge leap as such (well, I'll change my mind once I hit that 10 mile mark no doubt).. To be fair that was off shit mileage and being unwell etc so I was very happy with my time BUT I'd expect to be on that pace for sure (at least) in the HM which was around 5:45s .. I will have to see how I cope with bigger mileage etc though as it obviously plays a part in bigger length races. 

Dachs - For sure.. I was all up for going back to my track days trying to see how good I'd be over 1500m etc - With injury and the way this year is panning out I just don't think it'll happen till next year now..I have no doubt that building a base and training for a HM Feb/Apr will see me do well on track over shorter stuff next year anyway providing I stay clear... As said above I have a rough guide of what I could do but really will see how training develops.. 

Having worked in physically demanding jobs since leaving school I have no doubt its has an impact on running, if not physically but mentally too- the last thing I want to do at times is run after working 9 hours on my feet.. Having said that, as you said Ric, maybe that is a benefit in ways. 

• Oh just saw the 1500 PB Dachs! Nice one! That can't be bad as I bet that 5KM is still in your legs as you say. Those 4-5 seconds to break 4:20 would have been doable if fresh I bet

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Another race Dachs, you're becoming a monster!

One last thing on physical jobs, I guess it must be good for strength! Goodness, the last time I had to lift about 7 or 8 brochures, my arms almost dropped off and were strained for about 2 days. Strength of a gnat these days!

Hard not to sit in a bit of a slump in an office seat I find. For one thing the "Correct" seating position seems so unnatural, especially if tall. However, like Bus, I'm increasingly finding reasons to go and have a wander for a bit. And obviously morning and lunch are runs anyway. After some of the storming morning sessions I was doing a few months back though, the only objective was literally refuelling and recovering for a few hours!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

A runner who lived around the corner from me called John Downes, was a builder and looked like one, really heavily built. His work didn't prevent him from running 100 mile weeks though the vast majority of those miles were at 7:30 min mile pace.

His speedwork was fast though. He broke 14 mins for 5000m and ran 49 minutes at the Cabbage Patch 10 when he was nearly 40.

My own interest in training is based on the biology of it. 

The body is a strange machine inasmuch as we can make it stronger and more effective. However to achieve that, we have to feed it the correct ingredients, if you like.

Like a car that is not looked after, you can get away with driving it for only so long before it breaks down. That's why I'm so keen on maintenance.

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I'm running on red diesel and part worn tyres at the minute RicF.image
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Part worn tyres Matt? Slicks more like image

Always remember watching the DVD of Naylor's run where Joss ran his 60 peaks at 60 in 24 hours and then went straight back to work on his farm building a dry stone wall!