Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    That's fair enough Stevie, I've definitely become more disciplined this month although I've been picking up mileage at had a good month (relative) I've only pushed the pace when feeling good.

I've had a few weeks of feeling good at steady state stuff, so threw in the odd harder rep/mile etc.. Not comfortable enough to do a session though so guess had that thought process (testing in tiny bursts) aswell

Men's 10km on TV now.. Sickening how good they are image
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

you always had the background for fast times, just need to get through some of your glitches here and there to finally peak. Although your last set of times were nifty to say the least.

It's at these non racing times I realise I'm completely cut off from the week to week running scene. One day will probably have to get back involved with a club, do the set races etc.

• Options
    Hopefully I'll pick up that form Stevie, I'd hate to think I won't get back...I do wonder what my peak could be though and what limits I may have, I want a chance to find out

I haven't really been involved with the club at all either so haven't missed anything.. The RR10s I am a bit selfish and just sort of turn up and run.. If I do some Hampshire league races this year it'll be more involving and team based plus may travel with them anyway
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Luckily your speciality was super short work previously and now you've moved up in distance, so no direct comparison!

Race wise, I think you need a good old mix of fast races for times, but also local races both for high positions and also local interest/rivalry, to keep interest to the max.

I've no interest at all In Saturday league xc stuff, the sort of stuff where you're looping muddy parks and struggling for top 100. Much prefer the what I suppose isn't actually XC but is technically "MT" courses we have on Sundays, where the likes of me fully fit can get right up the results.

And it's worth pointing out that's not just being a flat track bully, as anyone can see from my last few years road racing.

Obviously if I can ever properly get back my first choice race would probably be some real bootleg sh!t, some stupid distance, MT, obscure place where a high position is guaranteed, as a loosener image

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Ric - not sure you'd be reeling, after all it was you that suggested I should run through my adductor problem as it was likely to be scar tissue that would benefit from being worked. Turns out you were probably right.

I'm not for one minute suggesting Stevie should be taking any risks (which is why I quite clearly stated that there is a BIG difference between running on a niggle and exacerbating an injury), but sometimes we can be overly sensitive to those little aches and pains. You certainly can't run 50+ miles a week on something that would fail completely by trying a few fast intervals!!

Personally SG, I think you have talent and determination, but realistically perhaps only five or so years left to chase the PBs you want. Nothing ventured, nothing gained....

Anyway all you need to do is drink 2 litres of water every mile and you'll never be injured again....image

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Play nicelyimage haha.

Had a great day at the commonwealth games yesterday. Early morning 7 miler, physio for a good stretch out then at 11am it was 3 hours in the back of a Mercedes convertible with my chin touching my knees. Legs were killing when I got out. Haha.

Loved the 10000m race, especially as it wasn't just the lead group to watch with all the domestic athletes running. Johnny Mellor going through 5000m in 14.11 or so then dying off the back of the group and dropping out. People passing him for fun and it looked as though he was jogging. Timed his last full

lap and he ran a 75. Ha.

Dewi griffiths looked as though he was running through treacle from the gun. He went through 5000m in just over 15 mins. Really hits home how far down the scale we are when he looked like a jogger and he ran 31.30 or so. image

Back on the road for 11pm, chin on my knees again and in bed for around 2am. I'd call 6.30am a lie in though going off recent weeks. Ideal

Prep for tomorrow's 10

Mile race. image
  • Options
    Agree SG I like the rivalry aspect of the local scene

I saw your tweet Matt very jealous! The race was blown open, not super fast but quite a few crazy things happening as you said people dropping off having bad days, I just laughed when Keith Gerrad got lapped too, I was like damn he's still going to run 28/29 minutes!

I'm sure the 10 miler will be fine even with the possible stiffness from travelling / lack of sleep! Either regenerate or the Adrenaline will take over image
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Love it Bus image, talent's a bit strong, determination in spades though.. definitely aware there's not an unlimited amount of years left though!

I know one thing for sure, resting wouldn't help anything, as yesterday was my one day a week off, and today I've woken up the least flexible this week! Very similar with the hip a couple of years back, in that inactivity seized things up more.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

That's ok Bus, I must have misread your post. 

Injuries. Complicated bastards at the best of times. If they only functioned in a single state then they would be easy or easier to deal with.

For example: The worst of all. Ligament damage. Bust one of those and you're up shit creek for 18 months. Its the crap blood supply which is the problem. Takes ever and a day to bring along the repair material.

Damn things also destabalise everything else around them, affecting tendons and muscles. A right mess on mess situation.

At the other end of the scale is a simple muscle tear. Great blood supply, all sorted in a couple of weeks.

If you don't like the idea of drinking then stop. If it isn't of any importance then it won't matter if you stop completely. 

We're like 2 stroke engines where the oil is carried in the fuel. To carry oxygen and repair material around the body you need water. Lots of it. Simple. Its a no brainer.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

it's funny, I always think, it's good it's "Only" running we have to get back to these days with a niggle/injury. Try and get back to say football takes so much more recovery.

But then football injuries tend to be impact stuff, that hurts, but wears off day by day. These running things tend to be more complicated, and you're on them every day unlike the football.

In other news, an absolute monsoon left today's run an interesting affair.

Foolish choice of white gear made it seethrough early doors!

For the couple of clowns who insisted on steaming through massive puddles to splash me, Joke's on you, I was already drenched!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nice! Luckily parkrun this morning was before the monsoon!

No one's doubting the importance of good hydration Ric - you just seem to be getting a bit evangelical about it of late image

Anyway, back to parkrun...

lowest finish at the Rye for me in 5th, but a pretty average time of 18:17. Didn't feel right this morning, ironically largely due to drinking a lot, but the wrong type of liquid - a mix of beer, wine and whisky is never going to make for a comfortable run the next day! Tried to get back at the guy who overtook me in the last k. nearly did, but the effort sent me into retch mode! 

The winner (16:44) was a young lad, looked about 13, but was actually J15-17. At the start he went off like a rocket and I thought I'd reel him in before the first k, but he just kept going!

Anyone racing tomorrow?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

how come you do so many parkruns Bus? Especially after late an booze nights! Do you use them instead of solo tempo runs?

I should do it at one stage, but even on the doorstep, a 9am Saturday is an early one, as all 150+ of my races have had the same 3hours before stop eating rule, so 6am is an ask!

• Options

First Friday of the Month so Ealing Mile. 4.75 miles warm up, 5:32 slow mile and 4.75 miles cool down.

7am start this morning, drive 75 miles to parkrun. 19:27 over a toughish course at Wimpole Hall near Cambridge. The course looks benign but there is no single easy bit: the bits on road were rough road with cattle grids you had to bypass so drop off the road, long grass through a gate and back on: the flat grass bits were on cattle tracks through fields: there was the only hill in Cambridge to climb up and it was a double hill so once you were up and thought it was flat it was up again. Lovely scenic run though and I would recommend it if you are in the area. Winner had 57 runs at the course under his belt and definitely knew when to wait and when to go so I looked a bit silly coming in 4th when I had lead easily to 3km.

Packed daughter #2 into the car and brought her home for a couple of months. 10 minutes until she announced she was away for a week's course in London.

Legs starting to come back to me. The races recently haven't been at a standard to make me happy but have shown promise so I am hoping a rest over August and things will be good in the early autumn.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, no worries. I'm sure there's enough 'lurkers and newbies' who never realised that losing 100g of water per mile in the heat was possible and might create problems.

Just providing information. 

SG, Know what you mean about seizing up after a day. It still happens to me now and again. One occasion when it happened, I was in a situation when it made no difference. I was in a hospital for 5 days straight. Noticed by day three that the aches were going and by day five I was full of bounce.

Chances of taking 5 days off when able to still run, nil. 

Even I have my limits.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

welcome back Phil, and yet another race! Sounds like you've come to the clear conclusion with the lack of satisfaction from races recently, stop doing them and have a build up!

Ric, as an ex footballer I wasn't ever a stranger to tightness. Play a game on the Saturday, by that evening fairly tight, couple of days of rest, back again. Or the magical deep heat.

Wokingham half about 4 years ago was the first time I ever had a severe lock up.Must have been through the huge effort to get a pb there. The next week, the usual DOMS type tightness wasn;t clearing, and eventually the back locked

From there, it's probably been 1 major tightness niggle a year. Pelvis, hip, now hamstring. Each feel like they're something unbeatable, but generally get over them.

Embarrassingly, today my old mum managed to touch her toes from the bending straight leg stretch, with feet very close together, with no warm up! 

I'm needing a few deep long lasting stretches and concentration to match that, at 30+ years younger! 

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Hopefully SG, your mum won't do what mine did while I was executing a full 'touch toes' hamstring stretch.

Just as I was about to stand up and head out the door, she sneaked up and whacked me really hard just where the hamstrings are connected at the top.

It was three weeks before I started training again.

🙂

• Options

Hi all,

Bit of a long time reading and contributing to the thread. I was going in circles and didn't feel I had anything to add really; training well then getting ill/tired constantly. I was beginning to sound like a depressing Morrissey record.image

I put a 8lbs on in a week or so, not sure why but stopped running for a couple of weeks, and have worked back gradually. Think it was stress/over-training. Feeling very fit now, ran 17:34 on battered legs at Sale 5K and broke my fell racing duck today - 7.8m/1750ft. I'm like Bus... can't descend at all!

Like Rob, I'm aiming at a quick 5K on the 20th then a strong 10K in the Autumn/Winter.

Hope everybody is still her and well. Good to see SG is kicking about again.

• Options
    Stevie see wrote (see)

I was beginning to sound like a depressing Morrissey record.image

Is there another kind?

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Fair enough Ric.

Welcome back Stevie! Nice 5k and well done on popping your fell cherry! But what do you mean "I'm like Bus...can't descend at all"?!  I can descend - just not as quick as the octogenarians in the race is all image

Nice to combine a taxi run with a park run Philip image

SG - yes, I find parkruns are just an easy way getting out of doing a tempo really, although not really far enough. I also find them a great way of judging general fitness as well as having a sociable, running based start to the weekend without taking up any family time OR spending any money!!!

It's not really an early start either, as I'm used to running before breakfast (maybe a few dates to keep the liver glycogen topped-up for the longer ones) and I don't worry about what I do on the Friday night as I only ever decide to do them on the day - helps that the time isn't really that important! For example, this morning I woke up at 8, realised it was too late to get to Aylesbury for a fast one, looked out of the window to see it wasn't raining so decided to go to the Rye rather than roll-over and sleep. So quick coffee and a bottle of water/juice mix and was on the Rye by 8.30 and back home for breakfast before 10.

Where you live, you could even roll out of bed AT 8.30 and still have time for a warm up! The breakfast 3 hours before thing is more a habit than a necessity for a 5k. Give it a go - you might surprise yourself....

• Options
    I am sorry Bus, I'm away for a month and comeback with an insult! ???? I just remember you saying you always lost places going downhill! I'm sure you'd beast me on a fell! Everytime there was a down 3 people would fly past! It was good fun though.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

welcome back SS, saw your 5k the other week on fb, so presumed you were in a decent place.

Don't worry, I've got the "going nowhere, locked in samey training" angle covered on this thread for the foreseeable, so everyone else's angles will be more interesting!

Off for what I'm telling myself will be a 12 shortly...did 15.5 last week, but no real reason to slug those out when I'm not doing the full programme. Was just interesting to see if one was doable.

Bus, fair points indeed, works perfectly for you. I'm still unconvinced about racing without breakfast. Maybe some kind of 1hr before Weetabix job like I do before these 7am sunday runs might be a compromise. Or maybe just doing a parkrun around Christmas/New year might work, when more there's more time off, it's on a different day etc

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    That sounds a tough course there Phil. I'm more appreciative of fitting the running in nowadays with a young daughter but it doesn't look like it gets easier as they get older too!

Good to see the wretching has returned Bus. Have you ever tagged something extra onto the parkrun to make it a biggr session? I had a shocker on my last one so ent and did some hill reps straight after.

Nice work on the 5k SS (also seen on FB) and at the fell race. Will you be doing any more? Braver man than me doing it in road shoes too!
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    That sounds a tough course there Phil. I'm more appreciative of fitting the running in nowadays with a young daughter but it doesn't look like it gets easier as they get older too!

Good to see the wretching has returned Bus. Have you ever tagged something extra onto the parkrun to make it a biggr session? I had a shocker on my last one so ent and did some hill reps straight after.

Nice work on the 5k SS (also seen on FB) and at the fell race. Will you be doing any more? Braver man than me doing it in road shoes too!
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Hey Matt, I thought you didn't do doubles image

I have been tempted to make the parkrun into a bigger session, with maybe a mile or two before at tempo pace or run from home and back to make it a long one but never seem to get round to it! 

Stevie - sometimes the truth hurts image. I bet you would beat me downhill though!

SG - only way to convince yourself one way or the other is to roll out of bed onto the Rye one Saturday and see what happens - I reckon you'd surprise yourself!

LSR today. Longest for a while (in time) with 15.1M hilly off-road in 2:09. Felt quite tough, especially on the climbing, as my quads are a bit stiff from cycling on Friday and parkrunning yesterday. Biggest overall week for a while to at 55M.

• Options

Bus, not a chance, I nearly turned around when I saw the sheer drop the guys in front had run (fallen) down. With your long off-road prowess I'd be miles behind. Good effort for the 15 miles, they are the runs you remember when the going gets tough in a race.

Matt, I'd definitely do some more fell stuff, but now I have a distance and accent baseline I will be very selective. I'm not keen on these 3m/2000ft jaunts. Oh, and I'd need some decent shoes if any has any recommendations?

SG, I noticed you cranked out a 15miler at 7ish pace. You must be pretty much there if you can do that.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

People seem to swear by Inov8 or Solomon SS. I bought some cheapish La sportivas and had them for nearly two years. Decent grip on them but minimal cushioning. 

Nice long run Bus. Trying to get more of my long runs on the trails and off road recently. Certainly much nicer when the suns shining.

i ran the Wagon and Horses 10mile today. My target this week was to run 5.30 pace or just below for a sub 55 and use it as a hard session but looking at the weather which was 20mph wind and heavy showers i canned that plan once I'd seen that the 4 mile stretch out from the start on the bank of the river ayre was straight into it. I'd recognised a few faces I knew at the start, one being Andy Norman with a 49 min 10 mile to his name (there goes my 6th win on the bounce), one being a low 32 min 10k and the other at mid 33s I knew I'd have a couple for company. 

After a couple of mile warm up I'd found out it would be a head wind for the first 4 miles so decided to stick in behind Rob Affleck as he'd beaten me at the RV10k and a 5 miler last year where I died at the end. I thought id be getting a decent run at least. Off we go and off Andy Norman disappeared behind the lead bike. image 

i sat directly behind the pair of them and after a 5.45 first mile i was just content to be getting a free ride. Ha. First 5 were 5.45, 5.49, 5.51, 5.48 and 5.46. I think it was the 6th mile where there is a gradual climb and that came out at 5.39. Id made my mind up on the way out that once we hit the top of the hill there was a descent back onto the path by the river ayre then it was 2.5-3 miles back to the finish and there I'd try and  push for the finish. The pleasing thing was that the first 5/6 mile felt ridiculously comfortable so i wasn't fearful of maybe dying which is why I'd sat in. 

As we hit the top of the hill I went to the front of the 3 for the first time and Julian dropped off slightly as I quickened. Rob came with me and for the next mile or so we gradually opened a gap up. The 7th mile came out at 5.30 and it was then Rob said I should push on as he was after running 5.40 pace and he wouldn't be racing. I thought sod it ill have a good crack at the last 3 mile and ended up running 5.17, 5.13, and 5.09 once rounded up. Think that comes out at just over 16 mins for the last 5k and feeling remarkably fresh. Ended up with second as Andy Norman ran 54.56 and I ran 56.04

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

in hindsight I should've maybe pushed on sooner but with targeting 5ks I wasn't sure how the endurance would fair. not sure it's on PO10 but 2 year ago I ran 58.40 there and not ran a 10mile since. Came out at 5.35 pace for the average although 10.06 miles and now I definitely fancy a crack at a half as I think I could run sub 5.30 pace off the back of that, taking conditions into account and the pedestrian first 6 miles.  

Its not often I've finished a race and felt as though I could've given a lot more but today was one of them days. 

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

26.50 for the last 5mile image 

• Options
    Quality last 3 miles Matt and I'm sure you are now capable of running closer to 5:20s maybe quicker on a weather / course friendly day based off that run! That shows some real strength after halfway into headwind
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Great stuff Matt! Love the way you make those early 5 sound so easy image. Very quick for the second half and especially the last 4. A 56 minute tough ten finished with reserve in the tank is a great place to be!

Stevie - you could do worse than a pair of Inov 8 Mudclaw 300s as a a good all round fell-racing, cross country shoe, though there are lighter options if that is your priority.