Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Wow Matt, those last 3 miles were blistering! Amazing how you wanted to pack it in after the GMR and now you're flying. It was always going to be tough to beat Andy Norman, who despite what he says, is in cracking shape and a 2:24 marathon man. 26 mins for the last 5miles!! image Amazing! Love it.

I managed 12 this afternoon (the down hills were tricky!) so that's 65 for the week. The first week in a while I've combined volume and quality. Built up to it so it didn't;t feel particularly rough.

Pace was shocking though, I'll pinch a phrase a read on Twitter earlier, it was 'Kanu running back to defend an 89th minute corner pace' image Just inside 8min/miles.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Been away for a week, so just had a bit of a read back.

Great casual sub 16 5K and win Matt, you make what I was specifically training for sound easy!  That 600s session shows some good promise too.  Meanwhile, that's an excellent 10 mile time taking account of the lumps and bumps and wind.

Sorry to hear about Johnas's issues, hope he comes back stronger.

Too many races for PMJ there to even begin to acknowledge.  Hope it builds some fitness for you.

Solid parkrunning Bus, and good to see SS back to form with that 5K.

SG, I think you should race - even if it's a sub-par, 85% effort kind of thing.  Parkruns are ideal for that, and it sounds like this one next to you is a kind of course that can disguise a disappointing time.  Just to get back in the swing of it.  Racing begets racing.

Any idea how Dean did with his track races?

So, I was off in the Swiss Alps for a week.  Wonderful place, but can't say I did much running.  In fact I did two 7 milers, and that was it.  I find it so hard to get out and do it when out of routine.  Those 7 milers were, of course, pretty hilly, so at least there's that.  Also on the plus side, I've done a good amount of hill walking, and I haven't really put on any weight Dean-style, as it's too expensive to pig out in Switzerland. Nothing wrong with a lighter week, just not sure how that will affect my 10K on Wednesday, where I was going to have a tentative bash at sub 33.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Welcome back Dachs! Hopefully you'll find the lighter week will actually help the 10k, provided you get a few fast reps in tomorrow to get the legs going again!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Matt, you're getting too good i'm afraid, we're gonna have to move you on image

Or maybe i should move off to some clapped out vets page somewhere.

Dachs, i'm chomping for a race, but don't mistake this current period for being off form. This is a physically limited, faster work isn't possible phase.

Stevie, again, it's an odd period. I'm fit, just constricted. Easy runs tend to come out sub 7 or just over. Heck, today's 6, done at lunch rather than morning, featuring a 3/4mile section up hill offroad, still averaged 6.53.

the 55-60 mileages will no doubt give a good base one day!

Sounds a relaxing time off Dachs, good to see you back. The turn over on this thread is ticking over quit enicely again. Although maybe that's because i'm about as concise as War and Peace, and a couple of my posts take a page up.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Like Bus says Dachs, the rest may well have done you good. Good luck for the 10k.

SG, I'm finding running a puzzling sport. I tried a few strides on Saturday at race pace during a 5 miler but couldn't run sub 6 min miling. How I could then run 6/7 miles at 5.45 pace feeling comfortable, then put a 5k on the end about 20 secs slower than I actually raced a 5k the other week is beyond me. Not sure how that one works.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

racing is some kind of magic isn't it. How many times do you trot out a jog the day before thinking you feel sluggish and how are you going to run much faster the next day, and then it happens!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Its what I call the 'Moorcroft' effect.

Mentally your whole subconscious is holding you back from overdoing it prior to the main event. And when it matters, the brakes come off, the adrenaline arrives and away you go.

In Moorcroft's case he went for a morning run around a lake and was so tired and duff he had to keep stopping.

A few hours later he took six seconds off the 5000m world record.

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    His jog with a few stops was probably quicker than my track sessions.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

If I don't get on here again today, then good luck tonight Dachs!

I'm off to Portugal tomorrow for two weeks, so not sure how often I will get to log on to the forum, so hope everyone has a good couple of weeks training and and racing that's going on!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Have fun Bus.  Take the opportunity to rest up a bit.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Two weeks must surely be 2 stone heavier Bus. Good luck tonight Dachs.
  • Have a good rest Bus.

I'm having a crack at a 5MMT run by my club tonight. They feed you pie and peas at the end so was a no brainer!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

cripes Bus, you have more holidays then Judith Chalmers!

in the slowest comeback of all time, I re-applied a medium long run to the schedule. Nice 8.5miler, which without headphones or any special motivation came out 6.52.

These easy paces will probbo slow a bit when im actually doing some fast stuff again one day!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

image you need to update your holiday related celebrity SG - you're  showing your age now as she has long retired so just has one really long holiday! Mind you, she does promote the HPB timeshare thing, which, thanks to my in-laws, is why we manage to get away for more than our fair share of breaks - even if they are spent surrounded by pensioners image

You might be right about the weight Matt, but resting  probably won't be on the cards Stevie/Dachs - I have ants in my pants and can't really do the beach stuff! Main thing is it won't be work though!!!

Cracking 7.3M XC tonight - fastest one for quite some time after a very nediocre double yesterday. We'll see what the next fortnight in the sun brings!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

So my bid for sub-33 at the Yateley 10k last night didn't quite work out, but a decent evening nonetheless.

A group of 4 formed from the gun, all of whom I've run against before on this course.  Two of them are quick but had mentioned beforehand that they weren't in the best shape, and I was confident they weren't sandbagging, so I was mainly looking to the young chap running alongside me who beat me last month at this race and who has some storming track times.  Kept pressing at the front of the group at sub-33 pace, and by the time we went through 5K in 16:28 I had started to open up a slim lead.  Still on target through 6 and 7K, but I was starting to fade.  The gap was now growing into what looked to be a winning margin, and without anyone pushing me I started to drift off pace.  Through 5 miles in 26:38, and then really fell off in the last mile.  By this stage I had a big lead and I knew sub 33 was gone, so it was hard to keep pushing.  Ended up crossing the line in a frustratingly PB-equalling 33:15.

So a decent run, good to get my first win of the year in, and my fastest run on this course (which I've now run 6 times in the last 3 years).  I have always thought Yateley is 15-20 seconds slower than a proper fast 10K course, so maybe I need to find a quick one before Leeds in November.  I'd like to have the sub-33 monkey off my back by then so that I can potentially push for a faster time at Leeds (depending how training has gone of course).

The 5K stuff has been good for speed, but a bit more work needs to be done to be able to keep pace over longer distances.  Need to start the tempos up again.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

A solid run there Dachs. Like you say the speed is there so some tempos will certainly help. I wouldn't worry about the monkey going before Leeds. It'll be a case of how far under 33 you go as opposed to if. Is there no other quick races down your way? 

im supposed to be running a northern league 5000 on Saturday but spent half of last night up wretching, burping and then being sick this morning. Been working in a hospital so not sure if I've picked something up. Set off to work at 6am this morning but turned home. 

the plan was to run some 400s tonight at goal pace but looking very doubtful. I'm never ill which is the frustrating thing.

• Urgh, Matt that sounds grim pal. Rest up, I didn't and couldn't shake it for a month! Wish my club was in a league that took park each week, we're in the Cheshire league but it's a total joke and they only have 3 meetings.

Dachs, sounds like an excellent outing. There's nothing wrong knowing you're at your best (or equal to!). If you want a quick course before Leeds, there's one in Wilne late August I think. It's near Derby and Nottingham, so closer than Leeds but still a trek. I've done it before twice, it's very flat and a good field.

I did the Pie and Peas 5 last night, came 15th (best finish in 4 attempts) with a time of 30:18. 30 seconds slower than last year but given my recent fell exploits and a 12 mile day on Tuesday I'll happily take it. Felt strong all the way round at 6:02 avg which is encouraging. Might have gone quicker but got dislocated between 2 groups and stuck running on my own. Pie was lovely after! Did 5 miles this morning... not so lovely. Race was won in 25:30... 5 miles hilly MMT!! image

10 x 200 tonight so the coach says. Should be a fun blast after last night.

• +1 for what Matt said Dachs, given the specificity of the 5km stuff I wouldn't worry about the 10km sub 33, between now and Leeds till be how close to 32 can I get..

Top run and I'm confident if you had someone ahead of you from halfway it would have been a PB and 32:xx solid run.. As for races we mentioned victory 5 and I think Bournemouth 10km is October time... Mid November I'd hate to think what he weather will be upto!

I'd just rest Matt, juggling the belly round and smashing yourself could make a bug get worse bringing on sickness, or you could sweat it out on the other hand..

SS - agreed a good outing for yourself given the recent exploits and finding yourself in no mans land. I'd perhaps not do 200m reps day after a race though image
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

cracking Dachs, to equalise the pb, win a race, and still be moaning aint a bad place to be in image

had written out have a good hol Matt, but re-reading your post I seem to have completely invented that for you! Bus, have a good one tho, as you have an actual one!

Stevie, is that like the Cock n Biscuits 10k? Tidy turnout.

My ankle has gone quite stiff, but from experience normally tales off. Footy season starts tomorrow (watching - don't worry not playing), so am doing my Saturday run today, for a day off tomorrow (trip to Wales!)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps Stevie, you can't be doing 200s the day after a race surely? That's surely the problem with being coached as a group rather than individually, he's setting a generic session?

Moraghan errs on caution post race, wouldn't have me doing any kind of session until the Friday after a sunday race.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

SS, good to see you back at it and enjoying your racing.  Pie and Peas 5m?  You northerners certainly know how to dispel stereotypes image.  Did you do the 200s in the end?

Sorry to hear of the illness Matt.  You'll soon find out about how often you can get sick when the little 'uns start attending nursery or school.

Cheers for the 10K suggestions.  Will have to give it some thought.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Illness and illness. Never feel sick myself in the way that the northern lads seem to do on a regular basis. Must be the altitude.

Could be having some more surgeons poking about in my guts at some time soon. The last scan found some stuff they didn't much like. Lesions on the pancreas no less.

That could mean they don't know what it is. Meanwhile I've had to scrub on the six mile race I had lined up.

Tweaked a hamstring a couple of weeks backs, but so slightly, the symptoms didn't really show up. Gradually the duff running became crap running, but better now.

Part of the re-hab involved a six mile easy run that turned into a faster 10 mile run. For that I blame bumping into an old training partner on the way back back. Despite carrying a bump of her own (5 months pregnant) she was still able to skip along chatting at 8 minute mile pace.

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Fingers crossed for you RicF. Hopefully it's nothing too serious. I'm always a bit wary when the pancreas is mentioned but that's due to my own experiences. How soon will you find out what is happening? 

Nice run at the Pie and peas SS. Andi Jones organises the Gravy 6 mile race up north too. i just need to locate a proper cock and biscuits race now and ill be content. 

Day off for me yesterday, both running and work. Didn't feel too great this morning so had to give back word on the 5000. Bit annoyed really as I had planned on trying to run a quick time. I felt a bit better this afternoon so went for a jog. Started off ok and then my stomach turned into a washing machine. Started getting a bit lightheaded and running 8min miles and then twice I got caught out with the shits and had to dive for cover. Prob not a good idea in hindsight. 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Matt, I had the consultation on Wednesday afternoon. I was phoned up a few hours ago to go in for another scan next Wednesday. 

My guts tend to liquidise on a regular basis. The medics seemed interested in that due to the digestion connection. Been like that for years (cost me a sub 55 minute 10 miler) My missus said the last time she saw a mess like that, it was being propelled from a machine over a field in New Zealand.image

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Another day so another 'post box'.

Got up, felt good. Put on the running shoes to go out, then took them off again and spun the bike for ten minutes.

Its got like that. Again.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

hope it turns for the better Ric.

The only advantage of not being on the Moz's schedule while I rebuild for this last 2 1/2months, is I can change days around with not even a thought.

Therefore, today becomes the rest day, having done 48.5miles Mon to Fri. Off to Newport in Wales for the big footy kick off...

Good job, as ankle feels pretty stiff, so it has one day to recover for something in the 12-14 mixer tomorrow...

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Ill second SG's thoughts Ric, I hope things buck up for you. 

After yesterday debacle I went to the local Parkrun with the intention of maybe having a run round. Did a gentle 3 miles then decided that it wasn't going to be a good idea so did some hill reps in the park Followed by an easy 4 miles after. 

After I'd finished the last of my 10 reps I was doubled over and gasping for breath. A lady then threw a ball for her dog which happened to start rolling back down the hill but the dog had lost interest. I thought oh ill catch it, so I then starts jogging after it but it was moving further away and gathering pace so I then ends up hammering it back down the hill for it and then had to run back up the bloody thing to give it to her. An extra bloody rep cos of the dog!image 

• Did the 200s in the end. 10 x 200 off a very large 2mins, but the focus obviously being speed. Did all in 32s which for me is quick! The coach sets the sessions for the group but sends an email each week advising particular people. He said to the 5MMT as a training race but I obviously hit it quite hard. The session was okay, but had an ice bath after to help recover.

Watched the cricket yesterday, got rained off after the first session so ended up in Belgium beer bar all day. The 4.5 mile run to get my car today was grim!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

On my hols so not read back fully but congrats Dachs on the 10k 

ric hope all things health related get resolved soon

stevie see - good to see you back. And the 200m session looked a good one to do after a 5m race.  its not like it was after a marathon! image  Seen the Xc schedule is released and your race is end of sept. I'm on the hover as I fly back from a week in china the day before so will probably be a tired mess after the flight.

i have been running 10m on undulating coastal path every day and spent the afternoons on the beach or surfing. Not exactly ideal sessions for my track races in 2 weeks 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Thanks for the comments guys. Of the four letters that came in the post yesterday, three were for hospital appointments, but stuff that, rather read about the running exploits on here.

At least there's one thing that can get sorted out, the malfunctioning parathyroid gland. It controls calcium levels which in turn affects the muscles. Had a clue two weeks back when there was a curious lack of bounce in the running. 

Weird to think that something 1mm in diameter could have so much effect.

🙂