Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

dachs - sounds like you do the same amount of stretching as me.  in fact i never used to do any when i played hockey either. 

there was a study that came out years ago that said passive stretching was a waste of time (a bit like me wearing my calf compression guards)... it advised a gentle jog slowly accelerating instead was just as good.  Not sure either way but if i had to stretch 20mins before going for a warm up before going on a run then repeat stretches on a cool down i probably give up & take up golf instead image

i think i have been hoodwinked into running birm half mara in october as part of a world record attempt dressed as a nurse.  should be interesting racing 13m on the back of track season.  think i might struggle for 12 of those miles!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Ha ha!  I hope you realise how rude it would be to beat the PBs of anyone on this thread whilst dressed as a nurse?

• Options

What is the nurse world record (male) and what does the nurse costume have to include to count?

• Options

Also, if I didn't regularly stretch after running my arse muscles would seize up and I would  have had to give up about two years ago.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I hope you didn't just edit out a picture of your arse muscles seizing up.

• Options

Yes, while dressed in my sexy nurse outfit.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Hey, I hope Dean won't be running in a sexy nurse's outfit.  I'm confused enough as it is.  Just bog standard clinical NHS nurse's outfit please Dean.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

i think WR is a 77 but we might be targeting a 75.  i think im in the shape currently for a 85!

not sure about the costume, but i guessing there are rules about this sort of thing.

Dachs - no sexy costume then but im i ok in full makeup and stockings?

• Options

There are rules; a fellow forumite broke the world record for a marathon dressed as a doctor (female) last year and it doesn't count unless the people from Guinness check  your costume first.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Johnas usually runs in stockings, so I don't see why not.

• Options

The nurse's uniform (male) record for a half is only 85:56!

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Cracking session there Dachs.

A solid half there too Scott off no specific training. Good to see the niggles and injuries seem to be at bay.

Had a quiet few days recently with all easy miles as I ran Capenhurst 5k last night. An ambitious target of dipping under 15.30 was my aim or even pinch a PB would've been nice but neither happened. Jonny Mellor set off at the start and I did well not to burst out laughing at the ridiculousness of his speed! Unbelievable.

I sat behind two lads through the first mile which was 5.03 and then going through 2 miles I took joint second as one lad started to drop and through it in 5.05. As we approached the 3rd mile we were neck and neck and that came out at 5.02. There's a little drop towards the finish and he started to sneak away. I thought he'd quickened and i didn't respond. My pace dropped to 5.22 miling for the last 160m. Saw the clock and knew id be just outside a PB. 15.46 on my watch and the clock, 15.47 on the written results and then 15.48 according to the prize giver. Jonny Mellor crossed the line in 13.56 and ended up with 13.55. Maybe that timing mat wants calibrating or I need to be team GB.

Consistently going sub 16 which is good and obviously the recent weeks training isn't going to show so soon so It looks like I've two cracks of the whip left. Both at Lancaster. One a week on sat then the other in a month. Like Scott I'm going to have a crack at a half this Sunday. Looking forward to it. Not sure I'll be saying that after.
  • Options
    Cheers Matt! Had a few bad days and tightness from the HM but seems to be ok and after last night feel surprisingly good and niggle free

When you say someone is running fast then yourself running 5minite miles it really does sound crazy! A top 5km and to be consistently smashing 16:00 is a fantastic place to be!

Kinda sucks that a PB could have been ok the cards if it wasn't down to dodgy timing perhaps!

What HM is that Matt or is it a fell one? In guesstimating low 70s for sure based off the 10miler possibly even 70/71...

Was having a giggle about Dean in nurse stockings to be fair too! image
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Awesome Matt - this wasn't the target race, so to already be that close to a PB bodes very well indeed.  I would think you'll smash it next time out.  The consistency of sub-16s is excellent, and the specific training should bear fruit soon.  Looking forward to the next one!

Half marathons?  What kind of 5K focus is this?

Session last night of 3 x (400 (400 rec), 500 (300 rec), 600 (200 rec), 700 (100 rec)), with the purpose being diminishing recoveries as the reps get longer.  I added on an extra 400 to bring it up to 7K of reps.  1:14, 1:33, 1:53, 2:11, 1:15, 1:32, 1:51, 2:10, 1:12, 1:32, 1:51, 2:11, 1:12, so 7K at just under 5K pace.  Not bad.

• Options

Swift feet Matt. Good to hear sub 16 is consistent. Was last night a road race or track?

Dachs, I'm sure Johnas will claim they're long compression socks not stockings.

Achilles seems to be a lot better. Won't run until Tue earliest so plenty of time yet. Calves still tight but less than last week. Plenty of stretching and rollering. Nice and easy on the bike in the meantime.

X-post with Dachs. I'd never remember a session like that. Good reps though.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

just spoke to the organisor of this half mara record attempt.  and he is the only one needed to dress up (its all for a charity) and he has to run with 2 people to confirm his time and that he ran it apparently.  and one of those people is me.  not sure why he needs me to run with him as surely the official timing at the event is enough evidence.

so good news that i dont have to get dressed up, bad news that i still have to run a half!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Don't pretend you're not disappointed Dean.

Rare opportunity for a bit of parkrun tourism this Saturday, as my kids are with my parents and I have access to the car unlike most Saturday mornings.  Considering Newbury if the wind is friendly (as it's an airfield).  Any other good ones around this way?  I'm not travelling more than 35-40 minutes though.

SG, could I tempt you into a parkrun if I came to Wycombe?

• Options

Dean couldn't dress up as a nurse because he might accidentally run faster than his friend and then he'd get the record and the friend would be really annoyed. Instead, since the official set-up and witnesses will be available, I suggest you go for the record dressed as (a) a bottle, (b) a shoe, or (c) an animal, all of which look easily beatable. You could even kill two birds with one stone and do one of the above, but running backwards. 

• Options

I will be parkrun tourist at Lanhydrock parkrun this Saturday as somehow we hav booked a holiday Friday to Friday a few miles awayimage

I am starting to get the medium long runs going again so another 13 at lunchtime, faster than last week and felt easier even with a headwind on the second half which messed up the pace no end. May enter the Maidenhead Half aftre all for a few points in the club champs.

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

That's convenient Phil!image

Iron, it was a road 5k. Someone has just posted the video of the finishline camera on Facebook to me. It on youtube as 'urenco ellesmere 5k'. Jonny Mellor crosses the line then has to wait near 2 minutes for second and then me crossing the line! Haha. 

Dachs, I just fancy a crack at a half. I know its not the best idea I've ever had but I'm hoping it won't take too much out of me. It's as flat as a pancake is the course. What's everyone's take on gels or in race fluids during a half? I usually just have a can of red bull before the start? 

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Evening all!

Just back from a baking hot and sunny fortnight in the Algarve.  Got a few runs in, but not much in the way of quality as it was virtually all done as early doors as hangovers would allow to avoid the heat (36C+ in the first week - tried one double with a run at about 5.30pm, but it was pretty unpleasant!). Highlights were some very nice, rugged coastal path runs through spectacular scenery and a 15M that left me feeling like death as it just got hotter and hotter despite being as early as I could, with no shade from the baking sun. 

I tried to catch up on the latest forum activity on the plane on the way back, but not the quickest wi-fi, so just picked about Matt's latest super-quick 5k, a damn fine first half from Scott and a load of stuff about nurses uniformsimage that caught my eye!

Anyone care to summarise the any important stuff I've missed?

Right - off for a hot bath and a warm duvet. It's bleedin cold in blighty!!

• Options
    The Bus wrote (see)

Anyone care to summarise the any important stuff I've missed?

I won a cake.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nice! What was that for?

(did it have icing on top?)

• Options

1st lady in the Ceres 8.

(yes, and sprinkles. And a banner)

/members/images/699204/Gallery/IMG_4942_(640x480)_1.jpg

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Well done indeed, so even more than the icing on the cake then image.

All eaten now I presume???

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

welcome back Bus, was just musing the other day when your latest holiday would finish.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Technically it doesn't finish until I get to work on Tuesday image

Had the rather novel experience of running at lunchtime today - wearing a top no less! 11 miles of undulating lush green Chilterns - very pleasant, but my left adductor is suddenly stiff again. Rather naughtily I didn't stretch at all whilst away, as that and core exercises are what tend to give when on hols, but odd how it starts to hurt on the first run back in UK when there was no sign of it whilst away.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

All round circumstances made it a perfect day to go and finally try the Wycombe parkrun today.

Having only done a relative handful of miles just sub 6 in the last 3months, was pretty pleased to finish in 17.24

Bus and Phil have described the course previously, but grass, inclines and steps make it interesting! I was quite impressed with the route actually. I remember the tedious summer series 5k also run on the same park, that used to be 2 laps of the park, then 1 lap round the back. This was 2 laps, but mixed up, which made it a lot easier mentally!

Two horse race from about half a mile in. The guy who looks to win most weeks had a previous best of 17.21, but with me keeping him honest pulled out a 17.14. Did ask the question at midway, but he easily held me off, and pulled away on this very short down at about 3.5k.
    A quality history, he's done a 68min half, and 13:xx 5k in his day, and even at 39 looks pretty tidy.

Big gap to 3rd, but has massively cheered me, and shown my pre race worries to be a bit mad!

Real fun turnout, worked well, but not too hard, and caught up with a whole bunch of ex Marlow pals. Great morning.
    Hopefully Wycombe can keep the day going well with an away win later! 

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nice one SG! Glad you've popped your Rye parkrun cherry at last image

On current form that's got to be close to 16:xx on a decent 5k course or somewhere like Aylesbury parkrun, so it's good to see you haven't lost too much speed.