Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

great result Matt. I work to a position of anyone who is faster than me is a freak of nature, so well done you image

1hr 11, cripes.

I'd sell most of you lot into slavery for a sub 1hr 15.

Right, off for my favourite 10 round Marlow soon. Last time I went I took some dodgy advice that it'd be "really wet", so took my XC shoes. Only to end up on a bone dry course wearing these studs clonking on the pathy bits!

Today looks quite wet, so do I risk normal trainers, and risk the infamous run of a year ago where I ended up covered in sheeeeeet and having to still run a mile through the town centre, or do I risk the clonkers on a dry route again... hmmm

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps agree Bus. These northerners have an outrageous amount of flat 5k and 10ks especially.

I think I went about 6-7 years of running before I realised you could have such a thing as a flat road 10k. And I'm still looking for that fast flat 5k!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Decent 10 for me this morning before breakfast. Set off easy, but felt good so just kept going faster and faster. 7:35 / 7:02 / 6:41 / 6:19 / 6:14 / 6:13 / 6:07 / 5:50 / 5:57 / 5:41. Still difficult to comprehend Matt's pace!

Anyone else doing Watford 3000 on Wednesday?
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I can comprehend Matt's speed. The day I set my fastest ever 5000m on the track I would have only just held him off over the final 5k of his HM.

Having only jogged 2 miles in five days I went out in the rain only intending to walk/jog a couple of miles. The level of discomfort that has affected my legs for over 3 weeks, eased off enough after 20 minutes for me to stop holding my breath. Managed 6 miles. 

A fastest mile of 8:23 gives you some idea of pace or lack of.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Ric - reading back a bit it seems like you are going through the mill at the moment. Fingers crossed it all gets sorted out pronto.

Well done on the Notts County Champs Lit! 

Very nice progression run that Dachs.

Looking out the window, it seems I picked a good day for a rest day!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ric, what's gone wrong old son? It wasn't too long ago you were quite upbeat and telling us you'd nailed it, especially with recovery. What's happened? You'll be back again I'm sure, you know what a comeback takes better than anyone.

Bus, yep! Nice and rainy for a 10 round Marlow! Looked to be a horrific accident on the A404. Saw a car flipped on its roof behind a barrier, which was quite unsettling trying to imagine how that could happen. Ambulance, police, lane fenced off. Not good., Hope the person/people got away without much damage.

XC trainers job, although it wasn't too bad underfoot, but just meant I didn't have to pick my route carefully. 

Bit of a slog today, at 9miles I wasn't going to stop for some drive either waving or asking directions, as I knew I might not get going again! There's better people to ask directions of then runners I think!

Anyway, 7.05 pace job today. Not that easy paces always need to come out near top end!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    IronCat5 wrote (see)
    TT cancelled due to rain.

Sounds like some good volume followed by more specific work did the job.

Those of you running 50/60/70 my, how long do you spend training in total?

I always think the run time is one thing, but the stretching/strengthening stuff is another! A good 15mins minimum after every run does ad up! I realised I was doing some of it on the cheap. Now I have to hold stretches, especially hamstring and glute for 30secs a rep. So you're looking at 5mins a piece on just those 2 stretches, doing a moderate 5reps a side.

Shouldn't feel too hard done by. I remember some guy off tv who used to be some kind of gymnast or something, saying "If you exercise for an hour, you need to stretch for an hour"!!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

bus, there isn't a flat race within an hour of me.  I travel to get the good flat races in.  You chaps are aware that the north isn't just 40 mins across by car aren't you image  I mean abbey dash is in Yorkshire, christleton is in cheshire, Telford is in the midlands etc etc image

• All the hills are in Scotland, Bus.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Nice progression run Dachs. 

Blackpool is a good 50 mile from me and yesterday's half was about 60 at a guess. Leeds is an hour away too. I had to book the day off work to run Capenhurst on Wed as its an hour and 15 mins away on a clear day. 

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Rubbish. You all live on one big bleak hilly Council estate, play in the local brass band and think about ways to make a living since they closed t'mill. All the races are in the local park, which is also where you fly your pet kestrels.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Yeah but Matt gets his speed from training with his whippet image

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

The brass band would be attacked by the local youths! The bandstand has been burnt down and we prefer to go rabbiting to keeping pet Kestrels. image 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, it'll get sorted.  A minor surgery job to remove what was the last major organ to be discovered by medical science.

Meanwhile I'll do my best to resist one of the symptoms associated with the condition. Being a moany old gitimage.

🙂

• Ric ????

Maybe the key to unlocking hidden speed is a tin bath and a flat cap? ????
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Yes, maybe the fast last few miles of Matt's race were due to him racing in a tin bath on wheels, Last of the Summer Wine style.
  • I'm not following the jist of what's going on.....

Ric - Hope things get better soon..

A very nice progression by Dachs...

And doing the usual "I'm bored" scanning of random races whilst sat here etc. I realised that Matt.. You can now seriously get into some decent HM races for free with some decent prize money + some nice perks as an "elite" athlete! I'd be laying out some races in the new year if I was you image 

Pain is weakness leaving the body

And doing the usual "I'm bored" scanning of random races whilst sat here etc. I realised that Matt.. You can now seriously get into some decent HM races for free with some decent prize money + some nice perks as an "elite" athlete! I'd be laying out some races in the new year if I was you image 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

after last week's 6m MP went well, and obviously the 5k was decent on saturday, thought i'd slot in a 35min MP-HMP 5min segments job.

Not a vintage session. Whereas last week was a fairly comfy 5.58 pace for 6miles, today was average 6.12 pace for 5.5miles, when it was meant to be ducking into higher paces!

Looking back, some obvious mistakes. Never comes out great when I rampage across town and make bits up as I go, as opposed to my simple loop. Probably over stacked my last few days too, race, 13, 10, today. Will see if the coachman will take over again now.... helps to have it written and get "Up" for sessions too.

Also, obviously rain and wind never help!

All good training I suppose!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Would have been impressive if you could have repeated last week's session after the past couple of days!

DeanR7 wrote (see)

bus, there isn't a flat race within an hour of me.  I travel to get the good flat races in.  You chaps are aware that the north isn't just 40 mins across by car aren't you image  I mean abbey dash is in Yorkshire, christleton is in cheshire, Telford is in the midlands etc etc image

You mean Oop North is more than one place image. Fair play, I'll stop me whingeing now!

Not sure what to do today. The adductor was sore on Sunday's LSR, and I can still feel it now despite resting yesterday. Common sense is telling me to take today off as well (which is made even more tempting by the weather I must say!). At the same time I'm conscious I've put on a smidge of extra weight on holiday and I want to try and shake it off in time for the half in two weeks AND I need to get some speedwork under my belt.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

you're right Bus, last few days have been too stacked. So hopefully coachy will get me back on a normalised programme. 

And i can get used to picking the schedule up on a sunday and thinking "oh heck i don't fancy tuesday" like old times!

• The Bus wrote (see)

Not sure what to do today. The adductor was sore on Sunday's LSR, and I can still feel it now despite resting yesterday. Common sense is telling me to take today off as well (which is made even more tempting by the weather I must say!). At the same time I'm conscious I've put on a smidge of extra weight on holiday and I want to try and shake it off in time for the half in two weeks AND I need to get some speedwork under my belt.

10-16km today isn't going to shift much weight in the grand scheme of things. Stay in, it's a grim day down South.

A couple of big days SG!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Cheers Iron - it's only a couple of pounds anyway, and I'm sure resting the adductor will be better for me anyway! Will try and get some extra bike work in later in the week....(or could just eat less I guess image)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

whoops, missed your conundrum Bus (minimised screen!)

It's one of those ones only you can judge. There's niggles/tightness, but there comes that line that just needs a rest.
    What do you do on these holidays to gain weight each time? You pack in some monster long hilly runs don't you!? It's not like you're sitting on a beach monstering the food down.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

No worries image

Main weight gain on this holiday (as on most!) was from a big increase in wine and beer consumption, as well as eating lots of crisps, cooked breakfasts, ice creams, chips etc - usual holiday stuff! Although I did a fair bit of running (40M 1st week, 50M 2nd) this wasn't my normal active holiday as the Mrs was recuperating from her op, and it was very hot so not much walking involved but an awful lot of sitting by the pool or on the beach. That said, it is only a couple of pounds - I'm just becoming a bit more obsessive about weight than I used to be!

• It's non stop eating and drinking on holiday. Alcohol is horrendous for weight gain. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

To balance up the calorie intake though, I did eat a lot less fruit and veg than when at home image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i'll take your words for it chaps!

Dribbled a 4miler out at lunch, 7.12 job.

Will see if the coach man gets in touch, otherwise will decide whether a medium long or rest is most cromulent tomorrow. If it's the former, it'll be a rest after until Friday.

Even after a 5k race i'd have normally had a light/day off quite soon after, so i suppose i was totally forgetting that side of things.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Bus, i have only just removed the 11lbs i put on from my week in washington back in early July.  its was a lot easier putting it on than it was getting it shifted.