Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Helen Clitheroe!

Last time I looked on PO10, she had getting on for 200 results in the 90% plus age grades.

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Yeah Scott, its just for two months which pretty much leads right up to the Abbeydash. Thought that after the Half, it'd be ideal to have someone with that knowledge to sort my training out.

Found it a bit weird that I was nervous before the session as I knew she'd be seeing my Garmin data after. Ha. If I was sorting my own sessions out I've no doubt that today would've been an easy 10 mile!
  • I think being pushed like that will bring out some fantastic things Matt, plus you can use the sessions in the future, you're not a lazy runner by any means but given direction in sure will bring out more!

I think that's why I like my thread, I feel guilty if I don't do the session I said I was going to do or think about missing it! Keeps me driven I guess, although I'm slowly reporting back in to my old coach which is great given his training material he have to me and his contacts but also the time he has for me. Top guy
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, must be good to keep getting feedback and being in contact with someone who's training has seen rewards. You know it works if you know what I mean. When I went up for the Ben Nevis weekend last week a group of Vets from my old club came up with us. I was constantly bending their ears on their past training sessions and races etc.

I used to do it all the time when I played football. Constantly asking the older lads about the old local legends etc.
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭

Yep, well done today PMJ. That little hill is quite sapping the 2nd time around, I think the key to running a fast time is to be absolutely hanging at 4k as the last km sections itself up quite nicely in to manageable chunks, is partly downhill and is (finally) on a firm surface. 

What cheeses me off is the fact that you turn up on a day when there's no fast boys out at all!! Some kind of tracking system in place? I was half expecting Dachs to turn up actually but I see he hammered the field elsewhere as part of a longer run. Impressive. You could be leading home the TVXC races if you fancy them this time.

Helen Clitheroe!

• Yep Scott, achilles seems to be a lot better. Didn't even think about this afternoon and it isn't sore to pinch. Probably because I haven't spent all afternoon pinching it. 

Couple of hours on the bike tomorrow so we'll see how it is. 

• I found a break from the bike helped me too as I found it does tighten things up - glutes + Hammies, however you probably do / did more miles on the bike, so more used to it than me and I kinda threw myself at it when I wasn't running but either way I hope it behaves!

I actually found some self massage and pinching wriggling it helped with pains and soreness, I used some strange things to cause myself pain sometimes as there's only so much you can do with the fingers.. Probably breaking some of that thickness / fibres down and stuff then building it back.. Although I maybe paranoid about it or worried (good reason to be) my Achilles and that area on right side near the ankle does seem naturally thicker than the left although had relatively no trouble for some 2-3 weeks now ..

As said - Physio for me Thursday and (although problem is the hip now) I will want to come away satisfied my Achilles etc is ok and I will post what is said about the Achilles as it may provide useful and always good to share stuff - will be 3rd different person I've seen, this is NHS though now. Previous 2 private
  • Wool wrote (see)

Yep, well done today PMJ. That little hill is quite sapping the 2nd time around, I think the key to running a fast time is to be absolutely hanging at 4k as the last km sections itself up quite nicely in to manageable chunks, is partly downhill and is (finally) on a firm surface. 

What cheeses me off is the fact that you turn up on a day when there's no fast boys out at all!! Some kind of tracking system in place? I was half expecting Dachs to turn up actually but I see he hammered the field elsewhere as part of a longer run. Impressive. You could be leading home the TVXC races if you fancy them this time.

Helen Clitheroe!

All in the numbers game. I have 31 runs at Wycombe in the top 10 and never a first finish: you have only done 18 at Upton Court: though your 7 2nd places to my 4 is impressive. Anyhow, meaningless numbers, it all depends on who turns up and I am sure your turn will come one day.

• parkrun website is now responding so we can see how meaningless the numbers are. Yesterday, 142 parkrunners broke 17 minutes. Dachs comes 107th in that list. At Sheffield Hallam, 7 runners went sub 17.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Bit of an injury question. Did some lunges, squats and other exercises on Friday evening and obviously now my glutes are a bit sore. Also the top of my hamstring but on the inside of my leg about 4" below my groin is tight and a bit sore to touch. Is this an adductor?

Managed 12 mile at 7.40ish pace this morning and seemed to ease once moving and doesn't really hinder my running but after sitting in the car or down at home it seems worse when I stand up. Not sure if stretching is advisable etc?
  • I've had that before Matt on a few occasions after doing those exercises, wouldn't actually know if it's adductor or abductor tbh..

I think it's probably where (I assume) you've done no core work before and this had just worked the muscles creating soreness rather than pulling them or the like

I think just resting and light stretching will be fine - running is ok as long as it's not hurting whilst running, I think nagging would be fine as the muscle soreness won't go away over night.. Probably worse after sitting then standing as muscle will contract I guess
  • Matt, that sounds like a tight abductor. There are quite a few stretches to help this, as I have tight abductors too. This one is really good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksMn8IxaENo You've probably come across these guys 'Kinetic Revolution' they know there supplementary work inside out.

I ran first leg in the NW road relays, Our A-team were 9th overall, 1st Cheshire team, My B-team was 33rd, 3rd Cheshire Team so came home with a nice bronze medal.

Course was crazy, lap of a track, slight downhill, then a crazy downhill, straight back up and back to the track. Led to splits of 5:16 and 6:23!! I ran 12:58 for 3.6K, none of it was easy, had to dig deep but worth it.

Followed up by 16 miles at 7:19avg today. 50 for the week.

Well done to Rob who ran really well yesterday and who's calf seems to have got the message. Did a warm down with him and another really good vet, then they got into some V50 competition thing and razzed up a hill and left me!! image

• +1 for light stretching, Matt (and also glute stretches) - I had that once and it lasted for ages but very low-level and went away by itself in the end. Though I did also find sports massage helpful in speeding up improvement.

Well done Stevie. That does sound like a course designed by a drunken clown.

And I was really just popping in to say, in case further evidence were needed that SG knows how to put together a training schedule, that I smashed my 10k PB (previously 39:45) today at Stirling with 36:56. This was very pleasing, especially as we got 2nd female team in the Scottish champs. After the race there was no sodding water and I had to drink a pint of milk. Idiocy. But at least there was a Tunnock's Caramel Wafer in the goody bag.

• Sounds like adductors Matt - take it easy. Stretching helped mine, but only once the initial pain has subsided or it can make it worse if you overdo it. Helen Clitheroe - cool!

Blimey Dachs - hope you didn't tell anyone you'd beat that you'd just run a half marathon as a warm up image

Stevie - sounds like a blinder. Who thought that one up???

Lit - brilliant stuff and congrats on the HUGE pb! Feels great to go sub 37 doesn't it?

• Oh - sorry chaps, nearly forgot! Nice parkrunning too!

• Literatin a huge PB + improvement, amazing running! Should be proud of yourself there SG but also Lit for hard work to get there 

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Cheers for the advice. Hoping it's nothing and it goes away.

Lit, wow! Thats a PB smashed to bits! They say when you get to near your limit, it's usually small margins taken off PBs which suggests you've still a fair bit to come off that hopefully. Great run.

Nice long run SS.

Got next weeks training through and all being well I've a 14 at sub 7 pace next Sunday. I get picked up for the airport at 11am so the wife's going to love that. Haha.
  • Although you are obviously quick Matt it is interesting to see these sub 7 m/m runs come up..

My coach was saying to me a while back and he is a good judge of ability, knowledgeable etc..

"Oh you can do your steady runs down to 6:20/6:30" and that should be relatively comfortable... Even when he knew I did my HM at 6m/m..... I wonder if this is perhaps working top end of aerobic power better? I didn't question it but said about slow stuff slow and said all my runs have been around 7:20 for the last 3 months, we didn't finish the conversation in the end as I was having my massage at the time

Was also reading about a lad 's training not so long ago and he is in a place where his steady + long runs are all 6m/m pace or sometimes quicker... He apparently doesn't count the miles first he just runs too time and works it out that way... he is a sub 2:20 Marathon runner though image 

About to go for a 10m steady..It'll be north of 7m/m though image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

First thing to say is congratulations to Lit. Sub 37 minute 10k. Epic. 

Long runs at whatever pace.

Got talking to a clubmate on Friday. In his day he was a 68 minute HM, 31 minute 10k runner. He stated, by coincidence, that his long/steady runs were way too fast at the time. Only now does he realise that just because he could 'gun it' in the sixes and even 'fives' he didn't mean he should.

Remarking that if 'Downs' (sub 14, 5k) ran in the sevens going easy/steady, it must have benefits.

🙂

• Nice one SS, and a cracking well done to Lit!

Couple of hours playing on the bike in the Surrey Hills yesterday. That part of the world is too popular since the Olympics. Too many bikes. Recovery ride this morning, and I am toast. image

• Talking of bikes, went to London town over the weekend and stayed near the Lonodn Eye. Fantastic spot for mingliing with the ToB team buses/mechanics etc then watching the time trial and final stage. Even got on the telly again right at the start line of the final stage when Ned Boulting, Chris Boardman and Rob Hayles were live on ITV4 doing the pre-race interview!

Adductor was really sore wandering around London on Saturday, but a bit better yesterday. Cycled in this morning, but still no running just yet.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Nice relaying SS, sounds an entertaining event, and nice work on the county prizes.

Lit, amazing improvement!  Smashed that one out of the park!  Much more in line with your marathon time now, so surely some rewriting of other PBs around the corner, starting with that half marathon I'd say.

The Bus wrote (see)

Blimey Dachs - hope you didn't tell anyone you'd beat that you'd just run a half marathon as a warm up image

No, I kept it hush-hush and only posted about it on the internet,

• Thanks guys! I am still feeling pretty bloody pleased with myself, I must say. Dachs - I'm doing Glasgow half in a few weeks. Then hopefully it'll only be my 5 mile time that looks ridiculous.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Obviously well done to Lit, but I've already told her that, and I like to keep her spiralling ego in check too these days.image 

Dachs, I was expecting to see some shockingly fast Victory 5 time for you? But guess the parkrun in  along run was the final decision for this weekend in the end.

Did have a quick look at the results, and a mid 23 job won it! Looked at the 10k results too, which they massively bill as the minor event, and some 40+ geezer has won it in 32:xx !!  Next fastest a mid 35 (who must have been gutted to see such a shark turn up), and then a 40 for third. Wonder what the 32min guy was thinking, why not compete in the main race, he'd probably still have come 3rd maybe?!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Had a rest day yesterday, making the trip to Manchester for the footy. Instead of the usual drive job, thought I'd take a supporters coach from Banbury to see if it's easier, as well as cheaper.

5mins into the trip, the kindle I'd stacked with films told me they were "not available", which didn't help. Nor did the fact it's a 3hour trip to get 130miles!!

However, I'll test the difference in fatigue the the day after run, between driving 340miles like normal, and "only" 100miles like yesterday, with an 8miler up shortly!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Lit, must be looking at somewhere in the 1:21-22 range I'd have thought?  Unless you get so messed up celebrating your new home's independence that it affects your running.

SG - no, couldn't do Victory 5 in the end.  My wife's abroad for a few days, which meant (a) a 5 am start to take her to the airport on Sunday and (b) needing to look after the kids rather than abandon them to go running, so I had to bin the idea of the 5.  Was a shame, I was gunning for the club record (which I have actually dipped under during a 10K), but next year maybe.

Having to work at home at the moment in order to be on hand for school runs, so just shot out for a lunchtime run - 12 with 10 @ marathon pace.  10 was 58:41, so it's all looking good for the Cardiff Half.

• literatin wrote (see)

Thanks guys! I am still feeling pretty bloody pleased with myself, I must say. Dachs - I'm doing Glasgow half in a few weeks. Then hopefully it'll only be my 5 mile time that looks ridiculous.

No chance, you will always have a silly looking time as I assume you judge if a time is ridiculous or not using some formula and the formulas are not right.

As an example, your PBs and my PBS are pretty much in line for some, so (ladies times first) 5k 17:55/17:52 10k 36:56/36:56 (snap!) but off for others half 84:52/79:34 and full 2:56:33/2:50:28

The calculators say you should do  81:39 and 2:50:38 so even if you line up that 5 mile to a mid 29 there will always be some mis-alignment.

Great running by the way, 36:56 is so much nicer than 37:01

• Well, given that the 5 mile time is 32:12, I think it looks silly whatever formula you use!

• Agree 32:12 is silly, sub 30 has to be the minimum, but as an example, I see predictions from 2:44 to 2:54 for the marathon given your shorter distances so they will never be right.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

surely nothing is predicting Lit a 2.44 for the marathon Phil!

the 17.55 5k was the breakthrough, and this 10k puts it fairly in line. The half should follow suit shortly, but unfortunately no 5mile/10milers around to put those in line too.

After that it'll be some XC/maintenance, and then a new marathon campaign, where I'd expect to build some new ability, and come out ready for a new breakthrough down the line, and it all starts again!