Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• It's probably the WAVA calculator SG, which isn't really designed to compare the same person across distances. There's a 5 miler in Glasgow I could do in November.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

No, sorry, if Lit doesn't match the exact times thrown up by the calculators, she has failed.  The numbers do not lie.

• Bugger, I had the marathon and the 5k almost perfectly matched, but then I screwed it all up by running a massive 5k PB after a few months of specific training (funny that).

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

The only person I've seen to ever exactly match the numbers, well McMillan's numbers was UG.  5k and marathon to the exact seconds calculated!

8miles done, never gorgeous the day after a long trip, especially as I slept until about midday, but yep, you've guessed it, comfortably sub 7 fare.

An 8 is mentally easy. It's when you need to do a 12/13 the day after, you've got zero energy and it all feels a right old bind!

These fans who live 100s of miles from the club they support who go to every game, obviously aren't runners!

we were passed by a Torbay supporters coach on the way back. If it was 3hours from Manchester to Banbury, it can only have been another 3hours or so for those poor saps!

• literatin wrote (see)

It's probably the WAVA calculator SG, which isn't really designed to compare the same person across distances. There's a 5 miler in Glasgow I could do in November.

Yep, as a girl of a certain age you are over 83% WAVA and that comes out at 2:44. The point is that there is no real answer as to what an aligned set of times really is. A lot of this is down to factors such as a decent time over a short distance takes maybe a handful of months of specific training but for something like a marathon you are talking maybe 5 or 6 marathons before your best so maybe 3 or 4 years dedicated to such.

• Just checked Paula Radcliffe for age gradings: 99.66% to 100.25% from 5k to marathon but that is probably a cheat as she is world record holder in the tables for a lot of those distances.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Dachs wrote (see)

No, sorry, if Lit doesn't match the exact times thrown up by the calculators, she has failed.  The numbers do not lie.

Quite correct. Better check the watch in the next few races in case she's running too fast for the formulae. 

PhilipMJones wrote (see)

Just checked Paula Radcliffe for age gradings: 99.66% to 100.25% from 5k to marathon but that is probably a cheat as she is world record holder in the tables for a lot of those distances.

And she didn't; to the best of my knowledge, have to recover from travelling to football 'away' games. The slacker.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ric, its one of the many things ive realised is completely incompatible with the running lifestyle. Along with late nights, dating, playing other sports. Eating food with flavour and having a job with a commute

Disclaimer...this is my personal list,others will have different
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Ah, shame my eldest has just put his violin away, otherwise I'd have got him to play it for you image

• Stevie G wrote (see)
    Ric, its one of the many things ive realised is completely incompatible with the running lifestyle. Along with late nights, dating, playing other sports. Eating food with flavour and having a job with a commute

Disclaimer...this is my personal list,others will have different

That is a big disclaimer indeed. Are you seriously saying it is dating or running, because if that were the choice for me I'd not be running.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

The best angle seems to be to pick the serious training up AFTER hooking your long term partner. Then it's too late for them to back out.

Otherwise it's hard not to let the full extent off the obsession creep out, however much you try and limit it to, "yeah I do a run or two a week"

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Lots of activities aren't compatible with running. These are usually one's concerning health issues or one's involving masses of time. These could be fishing for days on end or smoking and drinking.

However there are lots of activities not compatible with having a worthwhile long term adult relationship. Running is not one of those. But being an obsessive football fan is.

Most women hate football and are damned if they are expected to compete with the draw of the ball and a crowd of blokes. 

For me, I got all obsessions out of my system before 'hooking' up. Taking up escapist activities after marriage and children is a bit late in the day in my book. 

🙂

• Stevie G wrote (see)

The best angle seems to be to pick the serious training up AFTER hooking your long term partner. Then it's too late for them to back out.

Otherwise it's hard not to let the full extent off the obsession creep out, however much you try and limit it to, "yeah I do a run or two a week"

I have been running since being a teenager and met my wife in my early 20s so she knew I ran and what it involved and it has stood me good ever since.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I used to be obsessive about playing football until my late 20s. Been with my missus since I was 20/21 and she was practically a football widow. I thought when I took up running that it'd impact far less on my life than football did.

How wrong was I? Haha.
  • Phil and Emily Wicks?

They both have pretty demanding jobs too (and Phil likes a curry!)

As for McMillan and other calculators, UG aside, they only work for anyone who is Mr or Mrs average on a bell shaped distribution curve! For the rest of us they are just frustrating! My 10M PB "predicts" a 5k  of 16:55 and a 2:44 marathon, both of which are as obtainable as Samir going sub 2! 

• Did someone call?

It's that time of year again. The Ealing Half. Should have been renamed by now but o well. This time last year I was running 9.25 miles in 1 hour and ran a 1.20 half. Now I can run 10 miles in 59 minutes whilst wearing a woolley hat so I should do it in 1.05 this year. A lot has changed. I am still an aspiring distance runner but I have taken Screamapillars advice and gone into male modelling. Thanks Screama image

Oh and my number is 5098. Are they taking the fuc*ing piss. Do they know who I am!?

I looked at the starting line up and it looks like my only competition will be Ugandan athlete Ben Siwa. In all seriousness though my main aim is not to get beaten by a woman.

How's Scott doing? If he's gone sub 15 i'll kill him.

• Ha - no Samir, I've been out since May ish time with an injury and only just gone back to training properly after 2 full months off (June/July) and then rebuilding, I lost all of my summer basically but hopefully I can comeback strong. Some recent sessions have been ok. I'd say 2-3 weeks full training for me that's been it for 4 months.. barely ran sub 17 5km since losing fitness but I did run a HM and I ran consistent times from 5km-HM so happy with how things are shaping up ...my target race is 10m on 26th October

Ben Siwa is handy, he ran 23:30 at victory were my other rival Dan Boyle, not that he knows me, came out of nowhere on Hampshire running scene this year) ran a stormer 25:2x

10miles in 59 doesn't equate to a 65 min HM.. But I think a 74ish give or take is do able...

It would be no shame to be beaten by a women, it's about time my friend

Good too see you back! You need to get SG racing, maybe you're the man who can
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Haha, welcome back Samir.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Yes, welcome back Samir.

Has this visit been officially sanctioned by the authorities?

SG, I didn't mean to have a dig at you via football. It just reminded me of my own long lost and lamented obsessions. They were fun, and a total buzz but in the long run were going to ruin me. 

Ironically, running was not one of the obsessions, just a replacement for them.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Samir! Explain what happened at the river relay, the results seem surprising!

Ric, chuckled at the bit about obsessions. Running is way bigger an obsession! Women tolerate football more i find, as it sounds more mainstream to them, and you're perhaps talking twice a week. Every day, doubles etc is harder to deal with for running, especially when most people don't understand the point.

Gonna try some 400s, well quarter mile reps today.perhaps 5k intensity
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

SG, well I thought it might appear like a 'dig' on a re read.

At least football and running are obsessions that most people can understand and identify with. My former interests were routinely regarded as cruel and plain weird respectively.

Having to justify them wore me down in the end so I stopped.

Running is the biz though. However, you have to have run the London marathon in under 3 hours to qualify with the igno-rati.

🙂

• They don't care how many hours it takes you to run the London marathon Ric.

Hi Samir!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Samir!  Can it be over a year ago since the beginning of the Team GB thread? I miss it. Do I detect a hint of self-deprecation there?  You've changed.

I'm assuming Ric is referring to fishing by "cruel and plain weird" pastimes, but I can't help hoping there is a terrible dark past that has so far not appeared in any of the anecdotes.  My money is on competitive eating and murdering hitchhikers.

• Is that realy you or an imposter Samir???

ssshhhh, don't mention the hitchhikers. Ric has a very large patio - I'm saying no more......

Right, to run or not to run, that is the question! I've not run for a week now and the adductor thing has eased up significantly. However, there is still a bit of discomfort, bordering on pain, when I first stand up after sitting for a while. I'm not sure whether a very easy run at this point will ease it or set it back - decisions, decisions!

• Come on Samir, Cabbage Patch 10. You know you want to ...

Elite Runners

If you are an Elite Athlete please enter by contacting the Race Organisers at racedirector@cabbagepatch10.com

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Bus - don't run.

• Dachs wrote (see)

Bus - don't run.

+1

• Bus - I say run 10 mile cross country ensuring there is plenty of mud. If I say that then maybe you will do the opposite and rest image