Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Sounds nice Dean. My last trip to India was good for weight loss. Good luck. 

Achilles test today at parkrun. Seems to be OK, back in the shoes with low heel tabs which makes a big difference. Bit of time on the foam roller afterwards to loosen things up and I'm right as rain. 

Sounds promising Ric. 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Welcome back Dean.

HM eh!

I can hardly wait for the report, as you drop in comments like, 'I went through 5 miles in a shade over 27 minutes, I thought it a little quick, but didn't let it worry me!'.image

🙂

• Dean - sounds like a nice job working overseas? Nice excuses thoughimage - I wouldn't have ever thought a PB would be in question anyway as you've not really built into this race or had a focused preparation period? Is this the one where you are dressing up?

And on that note Dean you reminded me that the great Samir is running Ealing half tomorrow so good luck to both of you!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • iron - i defn didnt put weight on in india probably for similar reasons as you, but got a taste for tsingtao beer whilst in shanghai which has done most of the damage image

ric - Ha! if i get to 5m in 27 i fear the state i will be in come mile 10. image  i havent raced more than 3k since xc season finished back in mar/april. And my training is mostly base setting me up for spring.  i will run it to feel but hope i dont go off too fast as it will probably feel pedestrian for a few miles compared to the summer of track paces.

Scott - the fancy dress half is in october.  but i wont be in fancy dress, im the official pacer/evidence to prove he did the time for the WR attempt dressed as a nurse

i think thats enough excuses/down playing expectations for one race image.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Dean for the HM.

Still on my holidays in Cyprus although I travel home today. Today's run should see me hit 70+ miles for the week. Managed a couple of hard efforts as the easy paced running was getting a bit tiresome. I was the only idiot outside when the thunder and lightning show hit the resort. I was running an out and back so when I turned and saw the lightning crack hit the sea directly where I was heading I shat myself. Lots of finger pointing from people in bars and restaurants as I past at 5.30 pace.

Probably laughing at my invisible tan.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Matt. I had one of those 'caught in a lightning storm' moments once. I was out on an exposed peninsular when I saw a lightning bolt drop down some way ahead.

When it happened again, it didn't seem to be a problem. But when it happened again but with another behind me at the same time, I hit the deck.

When you realise you're one of the highest objects around and appreciate that 10 million volts down your spinal cord will do you the power of no good at all, you do what you have to.

I rolled into a nearby ditch, and was pleased.

Dean, in moments of racing doubt, I merely set off with thoughts of having a steady to brisk run in mind. Ten minutes later when the masses up ahead have reached optimum lactate saturation, it can become quite fun.

🙂

• 2:02:57

Oh my.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Are you saying Samir has just run a marathon?

🙂

• He would have hopefully finished his HM by now... 9am start...possibly Dean if it was similar start time? Guessing he wants to wait till next year to break 2 hours though so sorry but it wasn't him that broke the record!

Like your lightning report Ric! Made me chuckle! Never been in a major thunderstorm myself, that I can remember

Matt - impressive mileage on holiday! Sometimes it's a little easier with no routine + especially work to be able to run at short notice or spontaneously
  • Bit of a funny race really. Ended up finishing in 1.17 which I deserved in all fairness due to lack of training. I thought I was running better then that because I knew I held a good possition (19th). I just didn't realise that the standard was low on the day. I saw 1.17 on the clock when I finished and thought "fuck my life". Got off to a good start, I passed the Kenyan lady with ease as she was running too slow. She soon overtook me though which confused me so I should have stayed with her and not overtook her. I let the other runners get into to my head as oppose to last year when I ran my own race for most of it. Gonner look for a new half marathon because somehow I don't think I will be able to blag a championship entry at the VLM with a 1.17 half. 

Surprised the world record has been broken. A bit jelous in all honesty. I knew Dennis Kimmetto was the fastest man in the world over 25km but I never expected that from him over the marathon. I guess they will have to stop using him as a pace maker at the VLM after that stunning performance.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

That's a good progression on your pb Sam. None of this dodgy recorded, dodgy route 31min 10k pace offroad relay nonsense, just a proper accurate realistic pb.

How can you be disappointed by the fastest you've run by miles at this distance? Enjoy it. There'll be a time you can't keep pbing, so take it for what it is, a big improvement.

And no. You won't be able to get into London with that. I think it might have been Pubphil who got a 1.15.01 once and they wouldn't budge on the "sub 1.15" requirement.

It's not like Reading that just let anyone in who asks image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    RicF wrote (see)

I rolled into a nearby ditch, and was pleased.

I would pay bottom dollar to watch you rolling into a ditch, probably with some hilarious cursing as well. image

I think I saw Moraghan pose the question once on his comedy blogs, in what you should actually do if you're stuck in a motorhome in lightning.

Park near a tree, or park as far away as possible from a tree...

• Nice run + PB Samir was it 1:17 dead? Although the women re passing you shows a thing or two about pacing again you need to try learn from that? You may have thought she was going slow but the race is 13 miles long chap! Wonder what split times you have?

And Kimetto wasn't exactly a surprise, 3rd fastest marathoner of all time and a 2:03:45 PB image incredible run though to break 2:03.. Think it was a 61:15 or so 2nd half
  • Results are up for Ealing and it says 1:17:40 so a long 1:17.

"Anyone want to play guess the finish time? 80:33 last year, Reading we don't count. I'll say 77 dead and think that is generous."

Don't want to say told you so, but ...

• Ah a quick google search shows 1:17:40 but chip time 1:17:17 - unsure why such a big difference, 20 seconds to cross start line? Same as last year! Anyway don't be like that Philimage I could have used his quote from the relays saying his focus was on the mileage not speed and now he's quoting under training but shhhh image

A 3 minute PB we can't knock and probably more to come soon again with better pacing which will come!!!

And a minute quicker than me :O

I think you should be very chuffed Samir to be honest good effort
  • Well the chip time was 01:17:17 so I guess I have right to round it down. Makes things less confusing. I guess you was right though about not getting 1.10. I wasn't running at my best even though I gave it that. Back to the drawing board. I have learnt the importance of mileage because I thought I was naturally gifted at that. Maybe I am underestimating marathons. We will have to see. 

Scott to be used as a pacemaker in the VLM 2013 and to then break the world record 1 year later does sound strange to me. I don't know why he died so early on in the race though.

• Thanks Scott, I like overtaking at the start. It's not I'm competing for top 3 spot so I thought I might as well. Thought the winning time was quite slow. I expected 1.04 not 1.07 but still a great run.

I'm gonner try and blab a place for VLM so I will be posting the email sent out and the response (will be lucky to get 1). 

• Well done Samir - good effort Good estimate too Phil!

Blimey Dean - that's pretty cosmopolitan! Sometimes work takes me as far as Buckingham!

Matt - sounds like a similar lightning experience to the one I had in the Jura last year! Damn scary, but something weirdly satisfying about running in a massive storm while everyone else is hunkering down!

As for the mobile home - provided it's made of metal, park away from the tree. You'll be fine if its struck, as it'll act like a Faraday cage.

Still no running for me, but a very nice road bike ride this morning. 35 very hilly miles around the Chilterns. That makes 130 bike miles for the week, which is the most I've done for many years. Just 8 running though!

• Nice 14.5 mile run this morning. Need to get a few longer runs in to make he 10 miles at Cabbage Patch feel easy so 1:50 for a meander along the Thames was a nice way to notch up some time on the feet. Only thing to report was as I came out of Marlow  I saw a local runner ahead (Marlow Striders guy who ran a marathon in the morning, 5 mile in the afternoon, 5k the next day) running outside 8 pace and I closed in on him for a chat, but as I caught him he pressed the pedal to the metal and shot off at sub 7 pace. I followed him at that pace for a couple of miles but he never relented and turned off.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

How odd Phil, I did a 14.5 today too....sub 7 pace, which was pleasing with that long drag up through Winchbottom.

Odd behaviour from Simon! Unless he was on some kind of progressive run. But then anyone who races a marathon and a 5miler (that's RACES, not just completes) the same day is obviously a bit bloody mental.

Samir, save yourself the bother, they won't let you in. And stop thinking about 1hr 10. That's a time that's out of even reach of most of the best local runners you'll ever meet, so think more next targets, such as sub 1hr 17/sub 1hr 16 etc

• Sam H wrote (see)

Gonner look for a new half marathon because somehow I don't think I will be able to blag a championship entry at the VLM with a 1.17 half. 

Samir, I reckon you need to look at 2016. I don't think you have a 75 in you and if you target 2016 then you can get guaranteed entry by running a GFA time of 3:05. If you happen to go faster than 2:45 then you will also get champs entry for 2016 with a 2:45 full which, in my opinion, is easier than a 75 half. Now is the time to pick out some local marathon in sprint 2015 and train for it and run it. It would be good for you to do a marathon to get the idea of pace etc.

By the way, do you have a stopwatch or GPS? You can't blame the race or other runners for your pace: you have to be responsible for your own pace and that means knowing what pace you want to do and then sticking to it. I agree that a fuller race is easier to go with, as much of that must have been run on your own, but the first lady did drop you by almost 2 minutes and I know that if you could have followed her pace you would have (nobody likes being chicked and when I was fast I did my damned best to beat the first lady).

• Samir you may think you are naturally gifted at mileage or whatever you meant.. Fact of life is the top endurance athletes have hours and hours and miles upon miles inside them..

From a younger age too which will make some difference.. However you need to realistically weigh up what your target and aim is now rather than guessing what you might be good at or picking "random" races

Are you doing XC season? I'd advise it, will be great for strength and increasing the miles.. Not to be funny but you quoted before you were consistently doing 10m a day 50 mile a week.. In honesty I think it's much less and that's what you should work on over the winter?

If you start training for a marathon (London is 6 months away) you could lose some your track season which I think at your age would be much more vital too..Plus clearly you haven't had miles upon miles inside you this year and need appropriate build up.. If you want to go longer I'd think about starting a full focus on HM and doing more of them, you've done 3 which at your age is good but I'd say 2.5/3 unprepared.. No one knows what training you do, your last track session you posted I remember was not big volume though
  • I've always found Mr S a bit odd Philip. I've spoken to him at races several times, but next time I see him he doesn't even acknowledge I exist! May be just shy. He is fast though and a 2.47 marathon in the morning followed by a 30 min (hilly) 5 mile race in the evening is pretty incredible whichever way you look at it!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Steady on Bus. It was a 2.50 marathon , and then the 30mins 5miler on one day

the 2.47 came later that month.

http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=463711

Seems to be falling into the "marlow championship" trap, of never doing any fast races (marathons aside), so all times seemed to be masked with the "MT"  stamp

But generally you can do a 1min quicker time than Wooburn, so perhaps mid 36s for 10k?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Back up back up...that mid 37 time WON the Wooburn 10k this year!

Always gutting when someone you always beat wins a race you've done plenty of times! Shocking...

came 4th in 09 in a quicker time, but that year there were 2 local legends, EOG only in 2nd, and Nic Browne, improbably doing sub 33 there!

Also nowadays the course starts higher up the 1k hill, so in effect must be quicker....

However, that's the game, depends who turns up.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Personally speaking, the only contest I have is with myself. Its the Olympian Charlie Spedding philosophy. "How good can I be?"

Once the opposition matter so much that you cannot face being beaten by them, you've lost anyway.

Even worse is the opposition knowing that.

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Samir, if you're after times, why are you worried about what everyone else is doing? Turn up and run to the clock. I can understand if you were at the head of the race and targeting a win.
  • Oops - 2:50, what a slouch imageTo be fair SG, you have to be in the race to win it image. That would have been the one to do though this year....

I think the time difference is marginal as although you start slightly up the hill, you don't get even the slight bit of momentum from having the first few yards on the flat! 

Certainly last year I was 9s of my course pb, from the year before, but then Shardeloes the week after was also slower even though S.Bucks 10k 2 weeks after that was quicker! Who knows!

True Ric, true, but I still want to beat that particular guy ever since he cut me up on a corner of the Ridge Off-Roader and then beat me wearing a pair of baggy shortsimage. My only chance of that these days though is if he does an ultra an hour before.... 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I'll confess that the guys I raced against over 20 years ago couldn't stand my way of training. And that was to not let them see what I was doing most of the time.

In their case they were totally predictable. They trained the same way, on the same days, with the same people. There were no surprises. There was a pecking order and they accepted it.

I didn't. And more than one runner has upset his 'mates' by having the audacity to get better than they felt appropriate.

🙂

• Hmmm, and talking of competing against yourself, I always like to compare ytd mileage against the previous year. It just so happens that the last 3 weeks of 8, 26 &11 miles coincide with last year's peak marathon training mileage, so in 3 weeks I've gone from 114 miles ahead of 2013 to 50 miles behind! On the plus side, I was injured after Abo, so should be able to catch up again image