Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Sounds like you are almost ready for a nice fast ten miler SG image

Make sure the bugger gets the full weight of the law thrown at him - which for wiping out a cyclist will be a £20 fine or something image

Those early morning misty rides are great ! We've been very lucky with the extra dry and warm weather this year.

Ah, Ric - almost a confession there image. I like a glass of red or three, but can't drink cider at all these days - too many bad experiences and even the smell of it makes me feel queasy!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I had to stop drinking cider at the tender age of 18 due to the fact that I was throwing up before I'd even got drunk.  This was a poor show for someone from Somerset.  Haven't touched a drop of the stuff since then.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

i got dragged back to drinking cider again with the whole re-marketing of cider a few years back when it became acceptable again but you have to pay £4 a pint plus have it over ice.  I also like pimms over ice....maybe i have an ice problem.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, i'm sure a comfy sub 60 would be on the cards, but would prefer a few targetted sessions before trying to get near to the very low 57 pb.

I remember i did a great block of sessions back in my best period of running, between Autumn 2012 and Spring 2013. 

Basically 3 varieties of 1hour tempo runs. Alternating between steady and true tempo pace, I think they were in segments of 3mins, 5mins and 10mins but would have to check. Either way you're doing 30mins at tempo pace within an hour's session.

It's probably about time I did Maidenhead 10 again after a few years off, so those 3 sessions would be part of any build up, if I decide i'm setting my own stuff into 2015

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The Police told me that the driver was a she.

Discuss.

If you dare.

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Not every race has to be a PB attempt Stevie! (and its tow weeks away - plenty of time for some targeted sessions...).

Cider with Ice is just plain wrong Dean! (unless you're a girl.....image).

Glad I became cider averse before it became trendy image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ric, I wonder if "she" has had as many scuffles with the law as you've had recently image

"oh i've been turning right here for 20years" image

Bus, not a fan of doing the super fast courses when not ready. I'm not yet in that zone where the race itself is the reward. This is where the Marlow championship was good, as it was motivation in itself to get you to all manner of types of race.

My current club reminded me I hadn't picked up the 3rd place trophy for our club last year. Did surprise me, as firstly it's one of those champs you have to track yourself and "declare" at the end of the year, which I didn't.

Mostly because I didn't think I'd run in enough of their categories. Hadn't done a marathon, hadn't done their "handicap" run, hadn't done their local park run etc.

Also, after the Marlow champs, I'd vowed not to get involved in them, as they make you do races that don't necessarily help your own running, and don't necessarily aid a team (such as relays or XC club series races)

But anyway, 3rd it was, which is odd, as i'd beaten the guy in 2nd in every head to head we'd had all year, so who knows! Who knows!!

• Options

I've given up trying to second guess or work out what goes through some people's head when in control of a mechanised vehicle or a bike. Plenty of idiots on both sides.

What is obvious to me is that the desire to get to work 2s before someone else is enough to trump someone else's safety of right to life. Last Wednesday one of the management at my wife's school undertook me at a roundabout where I was turning right near where they work. That certainly didn't pass the Daily Mail test.

I was travelling a lot to NI some years back. Choice of drink was Guiness or Bulmers (what Magners is called over there. Different brewery to Bulmers UK).

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Iron, when I see a cyclist, I make sure I proceed with massive caution. When you think how tiny an impact it'd take to knock them over, added to the worrying trend of many of them not having any headgear on, the potential damage is untold.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

that's obviously as a driver! As a runner, if they're on a pavement i expect them to be going too fast and a bit recklessly, so make sure i stay massively out of their way!

Had to take a real jolt to the right once when some cyclist careered into a fence. Must have been boozed up!

• Options

Rather sombre run at lunchtime. Ran to Ealing to do the mile but it was cancelled as a runner had died on Wednesday following collapsing at the end of the Ealing Half on Sunday: only 33 years old. The park was also full of yellow ribbons for Alice Gross, the young girl they pulled out of the Brent River earlier this week.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bad stuff,  a girl who used to work at our place, lost her partner at a half marathon  a few weeks before. An even sillier young age of 27!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Sombre indeed Philip. Runner's dying of heart attacks doing a sport they've chosen is sad enough, but I can only imagine what that poor girls parents are going through.

Stevie G wrote (see)

Iron, when I see a cyclist, I make sure I proceed with massive caution. When you think how tiny an impact it'd take to knock them over, added to the worrying trend of many of them not having any headgear on, the potential damage is untold.

Glad to hear it, though a helmet is no protection in a collision with a car. They are only really designed for impacts up to about 12mph.

The driver behaviour that always astonishes me (even though it happens at least on every journey I take!) is where drivers overtake me, albeit with a wide berth, but either on a blind bend or even in the full knowledge that there is an oncoming vehicle! I've never seen a full head on collision, but its come close many times!

At the risk of incurring the wrath, this manoeuvre is very rarely by women drivers. On the other hand, drivers who hang back and don't overtake even when there is an opportunity to do so mainly tend to be. Of course, they do it to err on the side of (ultra) caution, but it has the opposite effect as it can cause a queue of pissed off impatient drivers behind them who then take risks to get past!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bus, i think your mate Gaz had a situation like that, but out running. Some idiot hooned past him, and smashed into a car the other side.

Luckily Gaz was unhurt, but witnessed it!

• Options

Where I live I cycle on some quite bendy country roads, and drivers seem pretty sensible about knowing when to overtake, on the whole. They will give me a wide berth, and if we happen to be on the zigzag bit they will hang back and go slowly till they can overtake.

I always think the helmet isn't for an actual collision, more one of these overtaking situations where the car could just clip you a bit and you could fall off and hit your head.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I'd agree Lit - most drivers are sensible, (just not all).

Yeah, I think Gaz's was on Smalldean Lane, which hardly has any drivers on it, but some of the few that do, hare down there not expecting to see another one!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

In my incident, I was running and had just crossed a road when I spotted the cyclist. I was interested in the bike he was riding so was standing still watching him approach.

About 30 yards away were cars parked both sides of the road. He was within 10 yards of these when a black people carrier came up behind him. I could tell that they were in a hurry and sensed their frustration when the cyclist made the gap before they could get past.

No matter, after a brief pause the driver pulled out and just floored it past the cyclist as if he was irrelevant. Sheared him right off the bike.

Having done that, the car slowed right down, no doubt to weigh up the implications of their actions, and seeing what I could see of the cyclist guessed that they could get away with it, and floored it around the corner. Took seconds.

I went ballistic. Well pissed off that I didn't get the number. Couldn't believe it when the cyclist said he'd got it. What! must have a photographic memory.

Numbers were exchanged and that was that. It was July 2nd. First contact this morning.

Seems the Police had lost some information about the case. When they told the cyclist that without witnesses they couldn't do anything, he played his ace card.

Handy.

Red wine glass two alreadyimage

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I tend to be fairly militant as a cyclist, and despite my diminutive size will always stick up for myself. As a result I've had a number of incidents where I've been knocked off or physically threatened by drivers and only once have the police ever done anything! In one incident, on Great Missenden High Street, after a slight altercation with a guy in a pick up who tried to side swipe me as I went through a narrowing, he then deliberately ran his vehicle over me and my bike. I jumped off the bike, ran to his window and pulled the key from his ignition before calling the police. When they arrived, and despite the fact that his pick-up was actually on top of my bike, they said they could do nothing as it was my word against his! Luckily (and amazingly!), the damage was minimal - just a bent pedal - but I ask you! Did they think I'd shoved the bike under his wheels myself???  Mind you, it was quite funny, because the guy was massive, and was most surprised when I took his keys. At that point he leaped out of his truck but saw I wasn't going to back down and he started crying like a big baby!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, how times have changed. The guy in my thumbnail picture is my grandfather. According to my late father, the old guy wasn't averse to using a hammer to settle an argument.

Now days we just put them on ignore and complain to the moderators.

🙂

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Ah but ric, your late father would have been a real man where as the types who use ignore are the whiney wimpy types.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ric, it's a good job we see you as a lovable eccentric,whose "views change as often as the wind", great grandfather, or you'd have been put right on the ignore button by most years back image

Bus, that guy ran over you and your bike? Were you not hurt then? You should have scarpered on your bike, taking the keys. That'd have taught him a severe lesson.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Dean, my late father was I suppose a real man of his day. It was his father (pictured) who was bit dangerous. Then again, in WW1 he'd had his horse blown up under him, driving the rivets from the saddle into his guts. 

Makes our hamstring tweaks look a bit tame.

My dad saw active service in WW2 in the RAF. He told me that he'd killed one suspected gun runner in Burma by shooting him from his aircraft, and that he'd been credited with wiping out a dozen Japs holed up in some jungle somewhere.

He spotted them and pinpointed their position with a carefully aimed shell. The rest of the patrol did the rest.

He was sent home the next day. 'You've done enough'. He was 21 years old.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Got an eastleigh 10k mail, confirming date etc. Just the 5 1/2 months beforehand.

Almost missed one awkward detail.start time 9am! Way to make it awkward for anyone not in the local area!
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Ric - there are time when I'd love to settle things with a hammer!  Trouble is, it's always the guy in the right who ends up in the wrong and it would never really work in the long run...

Stevie G wrote (see)

Bus, that guy ran over you and your bike? Were you not hurt then? You should have scarpered on your bike, taking the keys. That'd have taught him a severe lesson.

I jumped off just as the bike went under the wheel, so was physically OK.. I couldn't scarper on the bike though, as it was trapped under his wheel until the police made him move his truck! Given his size, I did expect him to just pummel me take the keys back, but his remorse (backed up by the arrival of some potential witnesses) saved my neck!

It would take an early start to get to Eastleigh to race at 9am!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Indeed Bus. When my dad witnessed his own father hurl a hammer at some guy (in an engineering workshop) 60 years ago we have to appreciate that we're discussing a generation or two who'd been brought up to believe violence was an option.

Crikey, if slapping of legs, heads, with hands and cane counts as assault. Then I can remember enough personnel assailants to form a football team. And that was just the teaching profession. 

Once again a divergence from the purpose in hand. But there you go, running has many aspects. I've used it run away on more than one occasion. And a couple of thoughts are usually the same, one is 'you coward', the other is, 'I hope to God none can sprint'.

As for sprinting. I've been working towards that aspect of running from my endurance plod base. Needs working on. Its more a problem of co ordination than anything else. 

Which now leads to speedwork. 

Had a chat with a runner (from Hillingdon AC) who had just run a 48 minute 10 mile raceimage. Its like that isn't it sometimes. He reckoned being able to run at speed was largely a matter of teaching your legs to operate there.

Really! shame I can't teach my lungs to keep up with them at the same time.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The Bus wrote (see)

It would take an early start to get to Eastleigh to race at 9am!

Has been 10am previously, so goodness knows why they've brought it forward an hour. Road closure reasons no doubt.
    It's a 90min drive, and you want to have an hour at the other end,  so was a 7.30 leave last time, but 6.30 is getting silly.

I think that GSR was the toughest one to plot. Start time wasn't as silly, but 90min drive, and 15,000 runners was the challenge. I still remember pulling into some random park to eat on way!

Off to attempt to do a training run round the Marlow half course now for something different.

Have a shoddily drawn map, but last time I ran it was with Phil directing about 6months + back. And not sure we actually nailed it. We certainly didn't amuse some farmer who stopped us running through his land!
    Before that it was racing the course in 02 and 05, and of course all you remember are the main features, the huge hill at 8miles, and the lovely downhill last mile...everything else could have been anywhere..

anyway, best get out!

• Options

Early notification indeed Stevie! I did see on twitter entries open + flooding in and I thought the same - This is 6 months away!.. Refreshed emails and read it too. 9AM is early for such a big event but probably out of their control..

I don't think the early start is too bad but 90m drive isn't optimal.. For me it's about 20 minutes away image Lucky! It will be a target race for me for sure.  

Saw last years video on the website - I appear about 1 minute in image 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Oh bloody hell, 9am ?!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    9am makes it seriously awkward from here but we'll see!

Just back from 13.5miles taking in the equivalent of the Marlow half course. Followed the route til around 9/9.5miles but somehow managed to stray from the exact finish. Probably similar enough profile for the end though.

7.01average, which sounds lovely with the steep ups. But then there's a couple of miles in the middle down or completely flat, and the last mile or so is down so all factors out.

Its the first couple of miles up hill, and some v short sharp hills in the first 5miles that get you.

The infamous rotten row steep hill is only around half a mile with a very manageable section after.

Clearly its one thing 7miling it and another racing it! Conditions were pretty raw though, that's like race day normally is!
  • Options

Little bit of OCD saw me do 12 today to get in 40 for the week as no run tomorrow. Starting to feel Cabbage Patch is timed about right, a good 6 or so weeks solid running with a good handful of long, hard runs thrown in. Just need to get some sort of taper in before to make the legs feel less tired.