Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Would it not be better trying sticking to flat surfaces Bus?

Had a bit of a calf issue over the last week or so. Feels as though there's a knot/niggle quite high and almost on the outside of my leg. Strange thing is I feel it at the start of every run and even going up the stairs but it completely disappears once I get well warmed up. Been to the physio twice this week to get it worked through.

That said its not stopped me running or doing a couple of sessions. Hill session on tuesday, Thursday was 2x2 mile tempo (5.29-5.30) followed by 8x100 m strides and then 5 x 1 mile off 90secs yesterday on the road. Target was 5.06-5.12 which I managed. 5.08-5.08-5.09-5.10-5.11.

I'd be a happy man if I could put them all together next Sunday at a 5 mile race I'm doing. I ran 27.02 last year off the back of being injured and died in the last mile. Hoping to run sub 26.
  • Matt I've found sat with a tennis ball on the knot helped a fair amount. I know you've seen Physio but inbetween. I've had tight calf for as long as I can remember lol!

Would hate for it to develop!

The 2x2m tempo what was recovery? Unusual set... Mile reps mighty fast and I reckon you could run 5:10s or quicker in the right race so fingers crossed for that 5m...
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Tasty miles! 10k pace job? Did 5.30 for that session round a track once which was hard work!

2x2m tempo too i remember being hard work yet at another time 2x3m tempo glided off.funny old game.

Anyway 14miles, 6.59 average, with a couple of hills. Tight near the end bur that's most runs of this length!
  • Dachs wrote (see)
    Talking about kinky bastards, IronCat will be along shortly to talk about his parkrun in a wetsuit.

Woodley parkrun 2nd birthday. Course run in reverse, with a theme of different. To be honest it was too hot for what I did and I could barely run in it. It was painful, and when I got the thing off vast amounts of steam exited the wetsuit. 

Ho hum

Tri club awards dinner last night. Plenty of water as out on the bike later. 

• Samir's made an appearance at a HM today!

Come on mate spill the beans! Cant see any results!
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Scott, the recovery was 3 mins. It's not a session that I've done before either. It seems a lot of my sessions are out on the road at the min whereas I've always just headed to the track.

SG, yeah the target was 5.06-5.12. I think with the 5 miler next Sunday in the pipeline that I was to run around that target pace.
  • Ah ok, 3 minutes seems long, based on that I'd fancy you to run 5:20-5:30 tempos for c4 mile "comfortably" obviously reasons etc for each session with you under good guidance so just have to not read into it image

I find road sessions (where suitably traffic light free ;p) are better than track and will be the best practice for a road race (obviously) I can only remember a few sessions on track maybe under 5 times this year I've ran?

I'm sure you will go sub 26 though Matt looking fit
  • Scott, how the hell do you hear about these things. My friend at uni knew I was a runner and asked if I wanted to be a pacemaker. Asked me to break the group up and agreed to go through 10k in 34:00. I got it wrong and it ended up 34:17 so it wasn't disastrous. Very drastic though. I managed to break the race up a lot leaving it to a group of 3 to battle it out in the latter stages after offering a good service. Wasn't shattered at the end of it as I decided to continue to half way still leading but I knew I was running slightly beyond myself.  Jayne Torvill was giving me an odd look on the start line. Probably jealous of my race number 1. She probably thought I was elite.

And how did you know I went off quicker than 5k pace at Ealing. It was a dumb thing to do but I went off sensibly today knowing the guys around me were running a half. 

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Flat would be better Matt - trouble is there are hills in every direction from my house image. Hope that calf thing is just one of those niggles that goes as quickly as it comes.

Nice long run SG.

Very hungover today after a dinner party last night - I blame it on not racing today! Couldn't even drag myself out for a bike ride! Spent most of the morning looking for my CP number to pass on - bloody frustrating as can't find it anywhere! Hopefully the organisers can supply a replacement on the day.

• Lol i'm happy I broke my 10k PB by 30 seconds even though I ran a negative split after a slower first 5k with no sprint finish so it was a good run and I expect 33 minutes  for my next 10k race.

• A little unsure about tactics Samir as you never know who turns up! Is your friend better than you? However if the pacing negative split + feeling reasonable stands then that is not only a good workout but shoes some good promise and learning!

Did you drop out at half way, why didn't you finish or was that never the plan? I mean 10km is near enough half way lol.

Low 33 10km why not looks likely, What's next for you? NYD 10km?
  • Scott, my friend is a girl so hardly better then me at running... If someone was running better than 34:00 pace at 10k, I would have let them go but this group wasn't. NYD looks like next 10k. Planning on doing Eastleigh in Hampshire where all the best distance runners in the world originate from apparently. Still interested as to how you find out about today and Ealing. And yes; I'm still a sexist.

• Eastleigh is a fast course which attracts some half decent runners. Would need sub 30 to win and 31 for top 10. But for me it'll be an opportunity to post a time rather than position! What about Reading HM? It's the same day?

Lots of girls are faster than you Samir! If you were better why didn't you carry on for the win?

I was watching the race both times Samir hoping to get your autograph but couldn't get past the damn paparazziimage
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

There are even a few vet ladies faster than you Samir image. Everyone know where you are racing - your infamy precedes you!

Finally dragged myself out of the house today and went for a very nice blast on my MTB. Certainly blew away the cobwebs.  It's funny though, with all the hills and rough terrain involved, and despite working pretty hard, the 16.4M were covered in a time that someone like Marigold could have jogged round in image

• Sounds like a good outing Samir. Good work SG and Matt.

My head wasn't as bad as it could have been this morning Bus. Kids were enrolled at Boys' and Girls' brigade today so suffered my way through that. Did 2:15 on the road followed by 1km run. I'm feeling really strong on the bike and the run will be what it will be. Looking forward to next Saturday's race.

Wet winter MTBs are good for washing away hangovers a day making the first beer go down easier.
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    No offence Samir, but what kind of nutcase asks you of all people to pace them? Still, definitely promising for your next 10k, so well done.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Sam H wrote (see)

Scott, my friend is a girl so hardly better then me at running...

Cracked me upimage

• Matt, which race is that? Those mile reps look tasty. Hopefully a big PB on the cards. Plus 2 x 2 mile tempo image

Samir, nothing you write makes sense. You were pacing someone and ran a PB? You were pacing a girl who is no where near as good as you?

Saturday I kicked the XC season off in the Manchester league, looking for an indication of where this good 7 weeks has got me. Ended up 66th and took some big scalps, put away a few 34min 10K guys and a 76HM guy. Really pleased with my run. A club mate who has been putting 90 seconds into me recently came past me in the last lap but I stuck with him on the hill and kicked big time to clinch the win. Followed up by a 15 miler today in 7:19avg, and a 58 mile week.

Northern XC relays next Saturday! Oh and I entered the Leeds Abbey dash today too!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nicely done Stevie - good confidence booster all that scalping image

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Nice one SS. Sounds a solid weeks training and racing. Good to hear you'll be at the Abbeydash! The race in doing is the Green Drive 5 in Lytham st Anne's.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Ss, looking into the detail of your report, I'd say that you've moved on to a completely different level. To deal with maybe just one runner who operates in the 34 minute 10k bracket could be down to them having an off day, but not several.

Really impressed.image

I'd recommend a level of caution in the training for a while. Its the choice of being on a peak and in control. I'd climb down with success in the bag and take it easy for a while. Then go for another.

🙂

• Sounds like a good day out SS.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

OK, I think I understand - Samir's friend is involved in the organisation of Royal Parks, rather than that Samir was pacing for her.  Hence race no 1.  So I assume the Cabbage Patch sub 45 bid is off Samir?

Matt, great rep times on those off limited recoveries.  I would have thought sub-26 was almost a racing certainty - you can't have gone through 5 miles much outside 26 in your 10K PB?

SS, really good XC performance, kicked off the season very strong.  It will be interesting to see how that translates at Leeds, you're definitely due a good 10K.  Ric's maybe right here, you need to find a way to hold the form rather than destroy it by trying to build on it too much.  Hope you can get a big PB at Leeds.

Apparently I was very visible on the Cardiff Half highlights yesterday.  I missed them though, doing a 14.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good couple of days See-man. I wouldn't fancy any 15milers the day after a race that's for sure, but comfortably seen off.

Look forward to a flat road result from you. Although it's nice to benchmark against others around you in xc, you can't argue with a road time, and that Leeds race by all accounts is one of the fastest in the country.

It's about time you saw that half pb off too. I make that the softest pb any main player on this thread has image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Dachs wrote (see)

OK, I think I understand - Samir's friend is involved in the organisation of Royal Parks, rather than that Samir was pacing for her.  Hence race no 1.  So I assume the Cabbage Patch sub 45 bid is off Samir?

Let's switch that 45 around to 54. And even that will surely be way out of current capabilities. A 56 probably.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

A DNS probably.  He isn't on the entry list.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

that is one small issue...

i think the only race i ever cursed missing the entry for was Eastleigh years back. Could barely have picked a worse race to try and "influence" them by quoting times...whoops!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nah - Samir can blag his way into anything!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Finally, after nine days of deadlock, I go for a run. The bug that put a block on the weekend has clearly added to the recovery of the wonky knee. Felt fine, no aches and didn't feel tired.

Ok, it was only 3 miles off road in 26 minutes, but its a start. Again.

🙂

• Good stuff Ric, been so lucky with injuries over the last few years, just a few days off with a cold etc etc. Saying that, if I keep doing any more Surrey lge xc followed by a stag do and sleeping on stairs...I'll knacker myself good and proper.

Fuzzy headed today and stomach still a bit dicky. Drinking too much and running is virtually impossible over 40! Dear oh dear image