Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ah Samir Haddad. Brings back memories of those mad summer days waking up to catch up to that thread with him and Scott having spent all night scuffling.

something a bit closer to a proper run today. 6miles. Almost last week's total in one go.

Better.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The SH v SE contest which went on for about 300 rounds.

Same pattern every time. Samir says he can do something, Scott said he couldn't while hoping at the same time Samir doesn't, while Samir ends up with a not quite.

🙂

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Whatever happened to Samir?  Last time I was on here he had resurfaced with the genius disguise of a new username: "Samir Haddad".

Did he just get kicked off again?  And did he actually turn into a decent runner?  He showed some signs of being pretty good, if a little short of the elite standard...

• Just been looking at Samir's profile on Power of 10:

http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=630345

Others will have their views but I don't feel that there has been much progress over the past year: now 21 I had expected a leap forward. He needs to get on here more often.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

/members/images/493151/Gallery/Copy_of_sam_3.png

Hows this for starters?

🙂

• He didn't run at his home fixture in the Met League on Saturday...

• I think the issue with Samir is that he is confusing youth with ability. He is coming up to 21: when I was 21 I was running in a semi serious manner but my main thoughts were fuelled by a combination of testosterone and a desire to get a good degree so running came third in my world. At the moment he is basically a 80% WAVA guy which is respectable but his age amplifies this. If he runs a 5k road race at 70% WAVA then he gets 16:11. If I do so, I get 18:17. So in the open race, he does well and hits the headlines. If you now look at his competition you get a different outcome. The rankings for U23 5k road show 17 guys sub 15 minutes and 16:11 will get you 80th place.

As a decent, young runner he can be a big fish in a small pool or a small fish in a large pool. I think he prefers the former.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

to be honest its probably no better than 50:50 for his chances of making the team for Rio.  He just hasnt made the jurrasic beliefe leap he was promising.  come on samir, pull your finger out Dachs has a backlog of new plate designs he is ready to release.

SG - birmingham is only about an hour away.  The quality of the league is very high so attracts clubs from a far and wide. There are 31min 10k guys who finish between 15-20th

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

a lot of very talented u23 dont race 5k road who would destroy his times. we have a very good crop of u23 who would be capable of sub/low 15 on the road but we dont encourage that.  they are training them to smash 800m/1500m.  Eg one the same age as samir has a 3.49 1500m and is getting stronger every race. he is beating a lot of sub/low 31m 10k guys this winter over 10k xc. 

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, i agree with Dean, he'll be ranked quite high due to the fact all the quick U23s are doing the short stuff.
  • I still think he's full of BS

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Afternoon.

Good 10k pace session today.  6 x 4mins @ 10k pace off 90 secs.

All came out at 6:12 or 6:13 pace so pleased with that.  Felt a lot more comfortable than last week's effort at the same session probably due to not having done anything resembling speed work for a couple of months before last week.

Glad that the wind has died down a lot since yesterday.  Still a bit of a headwind on half of the reps but nothing like yesterday's 1000mph wind...

• DeanR7 wrote (see)

a lot of very talented u23 dont race 5k road who would destroy his times. we have a very good crop of u23 who would be capable of sub/low 15 on the road but we dont encourage that.  they are training them to smash 800m/1500m.  Eg one the same age as samir has a 3.49 1500m and is getting stronger every race. he is beating a lot of sub/low 31m 10k guys this winter over 10k xc. 

Totally agree. Zac Randall is a guy I run with from time to time but I know him via his father who is also ex Ealing, Southall and Middx and was a sub-50 minute 10 mile runner in his day. Zac has done 3:49 for 1,500 and 1:49 for 800 and is currently in the US tearing up the NCAA circuit.

I was, however, trying to avoid the comparison with athletes who have followed the conventional route: Zac and many others like him, have been doing track since 11 years old. I was trying to make a comparison with others who come in at a alter age and may miss the conventional track route.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I didn't mean to start having a pop at Samir when he isn't here to defend himself.  Just an oblique reference.  Mind you, time is ticking away for Rio qualification now...

Jonny D if you're there, you aiming for Rio?

Trust Phil to get some WAVA references in there.

Another XC training session for me on my usual muddy common on the edge of Reading.  Absolute quagmire.  Finished with my legs completely nut-brown with mud.  Good fun, but people were looking at me very oddly.  Did 5 x 1 mile reps, but no kind of pace whatsoever was possible in those conditions, so focused on technique - quick feet, high knee lift, holding form throughout.

• We have some pretty speedy runners in our junior section. A few are looking to get on the performance pathway this year.

1km reps at lunch and still building the speed back up. I should probably find an SG style loop that is reasonably flat, instead of the hills of Bracknell (I make it sound like Rome). ~9.5km in total with easy km between each rep.

In old money:
    6:42 min/mi uphill
    6:02 min/mi downhill
    7:12 min/mi flat
    6:47 min/mi uphill

Can you tell which rep did the hail & thunderstorm catch? The hail was definitely the most painful part of the whole thing.

Sometimes it's about the drills and techniques Dachs. I forgot my form on the first rep but concentrated on #2 and #4. Work those glutes!

• Oh Iron..bad timing! We had a rumble or two here in London but I missed the worst.

Dachs - Beds have a white vest with Red, black and orange stripes down the side..bit German, not sure why! There's usually about 280 odd running and the best was 2 years ago - 132nd..couple of years before that I had really bad heartburn and was 3rd last!! Aiming for 150th is poss. I admire your xc training, i've never really bothered tbh..

Just been out to do 20 x 35 secs down the canal with 15 secs or so recovery. Just needed a blast as feel a bit 'ploddy' from xmas. Going to do a track session on Thursday too, get a bit of speed back.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

due to impending snow tonight i decided the track will most likely be a slippy nightmare so have done my session on the treadmill.

6*1200 + 1*800 all done at 5.08mm pace.  blew a few cobwebs awayimage

Good sessions Dean, Simon & CC82 (hidden at the bottom of previous page). Some healthy paces there.

Immediately after the hail it was very slippery underfoot. Always a wise decision to use the treddie vs snow. I have some work trips coming up and need to investigate what is underfoot and temps. Finland will likely by compacted snow and OK to run. Germany could be icy.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

hopefully Samir isn't reading at the moment.

"there's people better than you, you're only decent, why bother"

encouraging scenes

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

To be fair SG, Mr H is the one who put himself way up high on the pedestal just asking to be knocked down, but yes, encouragement might be more useful at this stage.

Glad I missed the hail today Iron! Despite the weather, managed to get a dry run in (8M) and home (5.5M) today, though VERY muddy underfoot!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

he did get a tad carried away, but having spoken with him at Reading last year at length (when I embarrassingly offered a lift from the stadium to the station, only to end up back at the stadium 20mins in image), a lot of it was playing to the crowd.

That's a fairly stacked pair of runs. Are you trying to make up for my lack of miles?

Coldy symptoms are gone, but muscularly I feel like I've had a heavy week! Hopefully that's the last sign to go, as today was first double in a couple of weeks,6&4

Single 10 tomorrow, and then hopefully back on track.

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    I think I said it at the time but I'm glad my thoughts as a daft teenager weren't recorded on the Internet. He was just very naive as far as I could see but certainly had/has potential to be a good runner. He's a lot quicker than me (for now...image), that's for sure!

SG - I'm sure you'll be out smashing the training before long and will have forgotten about this lurgy in no time.
  • Nice running again by all and seems everyone bar SG has had a few good weeks. Deans session in particular. Dachs think I read correctly you did get a county vest and unsure if I said well done! My main computer is playing up so reading back on my phone is a pain.. Well done though!

SG- being poorly sucks but a week or so won't hurt that much! Don't be tricked thinking your body is over it Don't want to prolong anything

With regards to Samir - defiantly naive but playing upto it at times. We all did image I think a full on year with track, XC etc will give him some direction and maybe he will think about working a base and upwards rather than diving at HM again. Or if that's what he wants to do just make sure looks after himself!

Attempted 3x1m (90s) today using the threshold pace (and quicker mile) I've done recently for a target (5:3x) but really really surprised myself running 5:18 / 5:21 and last rep 5:17 but half way getting taken out by 2 big Dobermans so ended up stopping and hobbling 2m home

Was going on 10% of week volume for the speed session (is that right?) and ran to make sure I had some in the tank. Despite coming away worse for wear I felt I achieved that so that's pleasing

CC82 - Good to see you back here I've been seeing you on Garmin connect running well and I think it's good to link back in with like minded people

Physio tomorrow for me but pleasing news I don't think my Achilles / Peroneal have been an issue for 2-3 weeks now so really happy
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Fair enough. Glad you are on the mend. I now a lot of people have had some form of lurgy or other hanging round for a couple of weeks.

Double today was only 0.5M higher than usual (on the morning one) and for no reason other than I left a bit earlier than normal, and it was either do a bit extra or wait at the station in the cold a bit longer! They are usually done at a fairly easy pace, but made a bit harder by the underfoot conditions this time of year. I prefer to do two double days of commuting and have one or two 'rest' days generally as it just helps with fitting life and work in around the running.

Must admit, it's a bit unusual for me to have got off to a higher mileage start than yourself SG image Won'e be long before you've overtaken me though!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

doing my best Bus!

Today was a normal Wed. 10miler, route with a mile hill midway, 7.05 average. Often comes out sub 7, so makes sense it's a little slower.

Beauty of this time of the week is that with a rest day Thursday, it's the best part of 2 days off now. 

Will weigh up whether it's back to a session Friday, or whether it's cleverer to see this week out in easy mileage instead, and re-introduce quality next week.

• Nice work Scott. Good news about the niggles too. Nice double Bus.

SG - at this time of year, and post lurgy no-one ever regretted delaying a return to quality. If you have doubt, then there is no doubt!

• Jesus Stevie G just get on with it, it will feel hard at first but as long as your chest is clear move on!! If you can do a 10miler at close to 7 min pace you can inject some quality!!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    A rest day tomorrow SG? You've just had a week off! Id be knocking another 10 miler out.
  • Bog standard today..6 miles getting to work and 6 miles back..well it's Home --2-train-4 work-4-train-2 home

The new Glide Boosts have arrived to replace the old ones I have had since August - I think i'm just getting that tell tale slight heel ache that tells me the old ones are just about done. God knows where the Adios have gone to.....

Have a good day all - just awaiting the next bloody storm. Fecking wind!

• Beautiful day here for a very easy 9km recovery run. Daylight, sunshine, what more could you want. image

I need to start lining up some replacements for my Skechers.