Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Quick dash in and then out again - good luck tomorrow Simon!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Snowdon race on channel 4 now Bus.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

He's not awake, but I am.

Just a guess.

Yes, I can feel my quad muscles just watching. Couldn't do races like this, I'm too cautious on steep descents.

🙂

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Good luck to all racing today. Gutted not to be at the Southerns XC but on Daddy duty instead. Have actually picked up a chesty cough so prob not a good idea to run it even if I could.
  • Bus - Snowdon race on channel 4 +1 image

I did this a few years ago and it was pissing down the whole time, quite a few on the sidelines covered in claret. I did a full forward roll at one point but somehow kept running down without stopping. Great fun.

• robT wrote (see)
    Philip but would you want to race himimage

That is the whole point about it being on paper image.

Good evening last night at the club awards: picked up first vet (third year in a row but probably last as a few have turned 40 since), second male (should have been sixth but two moved away from the club and two picked up big injuries) and third age graded. Looks like I'll have to concentrate on the age graded in the future.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)
    DeanR7 wrote (see)

dachs - no idea about a flat out 200m.  i was doing reps in 26s last summer so i guess it would be faster than that.  i might have a go at one in the summer.

So, technically on paper and po10, my 200m PB is better than Dean's image

image on Po10 there is a 400 that I raced a few mins after a 3000.  Technically one of the 200s, at least,  in that 400 would be faster than 29s. image  you do have a significantly faster parkrun than me though!

• Technically, the fastest 100m recorded ever is the second half of Usain Bolt's 200m world record but they don't let him claim that as a valid run.

I suspect if you did a parkrun now you may just beat 18 minutes (provided you are made to wear a sufficiently heavy fancy dress costume).

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Andrew G wrote (see)

Bus - Snowdon race on channel 4 +1 image

I did this a few years ago and it was pissing down the whole time, quite a few on the sidelines covered in claret. I did a full forward roll at one point but somehow kept running down without stopping. Great fun.

Was still asleep even for the +1 image One for catch-up TV. Respect for having it on your CV Andrew!

Bit of a quandary today - wanted to do an easy 3 miler, so with a 16 tomorrow would make 60 for the week. But as legs were very tired and the toe still hurts, it's best not to - though the thought of ending on 57 miles actually hurts!! Was going to go for a bike ride instead, but there's lots of ice around so don't fancy a slide and I can't do this afternoon - oh well, easy day won't harm I guess.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I was down to do it last year Andrew but decided against it to focus on my 5k. Supposedly more runnable than Ben Nevis although it still looks bloody tough!

A day off won't do any harm Bus! image

Ended up doing a 10 mile threshold this morning round the local parkrun. Looked a bit of a wally keeping running to the side of the finish line (must've been 5/6 times) telling the Marshall not to stop his watch. Would've been 3rd if I'd have actually stopped. Quite bumpy with a very muddy field to negotiate every lap and 751ft of ascent. Ended up running 57.36 for the 10 miles albeit with a loo stop at around 50 mins.

Absolutely loving the HR training. Much more focus and purpose to every run.
  • I though the first 400m of Reading half contained the fastest ever 0-60 and 100m split Phillip? I'll have to check...

Fantastic running Matt and again Rob on Strava! Really looks like the new training is coming through!

Unlucky Johnas - whats next up I didn't know southerns was on the cards? I'm eager to see results. Especially the infamous hampshire guys

Bus - I agree with Matt, don't go chasing numbers.

Parkrace for me today. 17:45 all though wrong turn saw me do nearly 150m more then everyone else. All off road (or gravel) - pleased until I saw both the guys above (Matt / Rob) run triple the distance just as quick image - enjoyed being back out there on a start line of some sort and running faster. Felt controlled and not full effort so come away happy and looking forward to training and improving but as you said Dean - enjoyed today and that's the important thing
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Scott Edgington wrote (see)
    I though the first 400m of Reading half contained the fastest ever 0-60 and 100m split Phillip? I'll have to check...

regenerationimage

• Great threshold Matt and good to see you racing again Scott image

I did 60 min threshold average HR came out bang in middle of the range at 157 ave pace 5.41 (I went through 10 miles in 56.54) but I did on roads and no where near as bumpy as Matts effortimage but I am nearly 20 years olderimage
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Blimey you 2 - casually just slipping in 10M training runs FAR quicker than my 10M race PB image. I used to think I was no slouch, but now I'm not so sure!!!

Nice parkrunning Scott - enjoying it is half the battle!

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Great stuff Scott, Matt & Rob.

In reply Scott, I always planned to do as many XC races as possible this year. Problem is that my wife works 4 to 5 weekend night shifts a month which means I'm on daddy duty all day whilst she sleeps. And yep you've guessed it, they've coincided with every single XC race.

She has booked the weekend of the Nationals off though. However I was reminded once I'd entered the Nationals that it was because it's our daughter's first birthday. Doh. #shitdad
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Decent return to racing Scott.

tasty threshold matt.

i did a treadmill tempo, 40 mins in 5.39 pace which covered just over 7m.  Felt ok, but I was watching an old man utd DVD from the 93/94 season so was good watching a utd team score goals so the time flew by.

• Dean out of interest why treadmill? Great session again image
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

rob - i have been on the treadmil a lot this yr.  mostly to do with the weather.  the track and roads near me have been icy so have decided to play it safe and jump on a treadmill.  however i am planning to do a tempo treadmill most saturdays due to my kids clubs or staying in looking after them i wont get the chance to go for a run outside. the way i see it is a tempo is about adaption and putting the body under stress to work out the lactic so i should get the same effect doing it on a treadmill.  he says fingers crossed image 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Once again there's some impressive training about. I meanwhile have today meandered across country at an almost jogging effort. The thing of note is that for 10 miles, I ran 7 seconds per mile faster than the guts out 10k of last weekend. Such are the many variables at play.

🙂

• 14 social and slow miles (2 hours) this morning for an unplanned 60 mile week. 20 miles tomorrow am so will be interesting to see how that works out after today and then 2 weeks to get some speed back in the legs for Wokingham via a mini-taper.

• Just been offered a place for Wokingham. Hmmm....

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Do it Iron image

That's going to test the legs Philip! Keep doing that and you'll be switching to ultras image

15.1 hilly off-road today to give 56 for the week. Was supposed to be 16 on road, but the toe was too painful in my road shoes. Oddly it stopped hurting at all after about 5 miles (luckily!). Started very sluggishly and the uphills were hard, but fine for the second half and actually came out 7 mins quicker than the same run last week.

• Some great training paces and weekly mileage being thrown about.

10km easy today after the kids did their junior parkrun. There was a well know ginger-haired fellow stood off on the other side of the park whilst his kids ran too. They were left to enjoy their family day out and hardly anyone noticed him. I think he'd actually snuck out to see Dach's new wheels.

I cut yesterday's ride short. No road ice in the morning though I did almost slip over getting out the car. As the wind got up during the temps started to drop and ice started to appear again, so off to the cafe then home for some garage riding.

Wokey place turned down. It'd be asking for trouble.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I've put in for the Hillingdon Half Marathon on April 12.

It should be a little warmer than Wokingham or any other of these winter halves. I've seen one or two other HM alternatives but not at £40 a chuck.

🙂

• Oh IC, how much trouble can you get into running a little half marathon image. I have physio tomorrow, so hopefully will get an idea if I can run it afterwards.

I joined a group ride Saturday, 63 miles done at a fairly leisurely pace. Had a few twitches in the ice, but it wasn't too bad. There were a few fallers in the club though. Rested today.

• IC, I assume the ginger one is the same one that parkrun is all excited about.

20 for me today, turned out as 1 mile WU, 9 miles @ 8:03, 9 miles @ 7:35, 1 mile CD. Core 18 miles average @ 7:49 so happy. All the long runs now done until Wokingham Half in 13 days time (nothing over 12 miles) so time to see if I can get some speed back into the legs.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Well done Scott, great to see you back and posting a time.  Hopefully you'll re-gather strength quickly and will be back to racing.

Mind-blowing tempos Dean and Rob.  Dean, you always said you had a problem doing sub-6 tempo runs - looks like you've put that to bed!  Rob, that's two huge tempos in a week.  Preserve this good shape and take it to a race.

Iron Cat, who was the ginger fellow in the park then?  I know one ginger chap who lurks around that park a lot, but he is a fox, and he comes around our way mainly to rip open binbags rather than watch his young ones race. 

16m yesterday in 1:52 (slow start but averaged about 6:10 for the last 10K) brought up 83 for the week.  A few more big mileage weeks should hopefully set me up for the rest of the year.

• Hi all - some great tempo stuff there. Not going to try it at the moment as it will just end in a coughing fit!

Very mediocre 138th at Brighton on Saturday for the southerns. Felt pretty good head wise in the morning, but the chest wasn't totally clear of muck - the race was probably a couple of days too soon. I considered dropping out on the first proper lap, but as always seems to happen, I was in the team, so didn't want to let anyone down. As often happens, had a bit of a 2nd wind and stopped being passed by everyone...although that only lasted one lap!

Hey ho - the missus ran the women's..so not sure if we would have done any better in the married couple race!

Think a couple of just running to and from work days and then a session on Thursday perhaps...

• Got the ok to try running from the Physio this morning, "don't go mad" she added, presumably as a reaction to the glee in my face..

So, I did my short circuit this morning, which is 4.3 miles @7.17. Felt a bit rusty after three weeks off, and was paranoid the whole time that it was about to start hurting. Hopefully some rhythm will come back quickly. Think I may run alternate days for now, and build the distance back up slowly.

Will be difficult, when hearing all this prodigious distances being accumulated by all you chaps.

Dachs - I think the clue as to the ginger chap's name, is in the fondness for red sports cars. Did you buy a rare Ferrari per chance?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Good training runs Dachs and Phil. Which considering you work as well is good going.

SC, I saw your name on the PO10 results page but curiously in no ID black.

Ten easy miles XC for me this morning. Gradually grinding the fat off bit by bit. Seems I have been running for years with a massive amount of fat on board despite weighing not a lot.

Down to just under 120lb's (11% fat) from 136lb's (21%+).

For my height I'm good for 112lb's.

Apparently for every 1% weight loss due to fat you can run 1% faster for a similar effort. I ran 36:54 at 136lb's 18 months back. It could be interesting this coming summer.

🙂