Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, in a thread that's recently been dominated by insanely fast training from guys on the up, people using the dreaded word threshold as often as I'd use the word monstered, and furious discussions about weight loss, it's good to see that a simple low key race with 3 old pals (and 1 new pal), of various stages of knackeration and age can still generate such a ferocious turn over of posts.

Have enjoyed it. Should probably do more of these, irrespective of performance or times. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    alehouse wrote (see)

Never mind cross country...you should have all been at the Watford half to witness a potential super-star in action: mind you I guess you have all already clocked Samir's 39th place and 80:05.

Not sure exactly, but I think Watford has a couple of hills, so a decent outing

• Yes, all credit to Samir for getting out there and doing it! Far too few youngsters around! And he seems to have been first under 23. I believe it was pretty tough going and probably worth a couple of minutes compared to a flat course on a perfect still day. Not that we ever get those conditions!

Great reports and banter, by the way.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I just realised that I wrote 'five-sharp' above. This is because I tried to write 'race-sharp' and it was auto corrected to 'five-star'. I only noticed that star was wrong, not the other bit. Tablet must have assumed I was talking about 80s bands again.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Aley, I'm starting early lowering expectations for next weekend, which might just be the most colossal thread meet up of all time. Especially as we usually pick up a stray or 2 along the way.

Dachs, I wasn't going to admit I didn't have a clue what that meant. I presumed it was some bad man street lingo of yours

• The Bus wrote (see)

It's the funny vest, lycra shorts combo that gets me on triathletesimage

Only if I've cycled there. Otherwise it's vest and short shorts. Gloves if -10C or below. image

Good XCing guys. Massively busy W/E so no marshalling for me today at XC. Coached this evening at the junior swim session.

Now it's time to disappear again, as an early flight to Helsinki beckons. Home Wed via Copenhagen; I fancy a run across the bridge from there to Malmo in Sweden. I like to bag a double international run.

• Dachs wrote (see)

I just realised that I wrote 'five-sharp' above. This is because I tried to write 'race-sharp' and it was auto corrected to 'five-star'. I only noticed that star was wrong, not the other bit. Tablet must have assumed I was talking about 80s bands again.

Some kind of SystemAddict error Dachs.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Still waiting on his Jurassic improvements then.
  • IronCat5 wrote (see)
    Dachs wrote (see)

Some kind of SystemAddict error Dachs.

That made me groan out loud Iron! Just be careful on that bridge - I've seen what happens there on the telly..... 

Like SG, I thought "five sharp" actually meant something and was embarrassed not to know what!

• I third the 'five sharp' thing, I briefly wondered whether it was somehow related to the amount of toes, as a kind of metaphor for legs, but dismissed this as it could only apply to the paralympics, I moved on without any further thought.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Maybe five-sharp will seep into common useage in our language. Then, in hundreds of years, etymologists will look back into the origins of the term - and ascribe it to bloody Shakespeare as usual.
  • Did you just compare yourself to Shakespeare, Dachs?!

• Are we pro-Samir, anti-Samir or just bored-with-Samir at the moment? Quick glance at Watford Half results neither say it was incredibly hard (so a good scatter of PBs from people with a reasonable history of half marathons) nor incredibly easy. runbritain rank the race as a 1.4 so nothing out of the ordinary.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

still looks a fairly five sharp time Phil

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Even with a 2 mile warm up and still being half pissed, I went through 13.1 in yesterday's long run in 1.19. He seems to have lost his ability to regenerate.
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

Did you just compare yourself to Shakespeare, Dachs?!

No, I don't think so.  It would take someone specifically looking to pick holes to think that.  You're not that person, are you Lit? image

• Stevie G wrote (see)

still looks a fairly five sharp time Phil

Needs a hyphen SG.....

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

been in sweden last week (so limited training and lots of alcohol) and then spent a couple of days in marlow of all places.

good racing from the XC crowd

Matt and robs training still looks lightning

Im pro samir as a chap and a poster but like matt i went through 13.1 in 82 mins during a 15m LSR yesterday at 8am including doing one mile recreating uptown funk when it came on my ipod. im guessing Rio 16 and his team GB ambitions are fadeing

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Dean, two things:

1. A 15 at 6:15 pace isn't really a LSR, that's too five-sharp even for a running deity such as yourself

2, You are too old to be listening to chart music.  Get some Elton John on there

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

By the way, you never know, but old Samir might be targeting a Spring marathon and have done it at marathon pace?  I know his ideal marathon pace would get him to halfway in 58:45, but maybe he's looking for an easy 2:40 as a taster.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Are you assuming he's sensible enough to do a race as a controlled marathon pace effort?

Are we on about the same Samir?image
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Maybe Phil could provide us with some pictures of Samir leading through the first mile?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dean - you should have said, we'd have got a little gang out to welcome you to the area 

Have to agree with Dachs on the LSR. It seems to be the most wrongly used phrase on here. Is blooming worrying that you northern fellas are "cigar-ing" out runs that'll probably be around my pace on Sunday! And that's if I'm a little more five-sharp than sunday, which felt like a trudge through treacle.

• I don't like the idea of a "gang welcome" SG image

Again lots of good running going on and good performances all round. Dean storming long "slow" run..and Matt you're just an animal! I think the times have perhaps changed in regards to the pace or goal of this run??

I've seen a lot of talk about progressing it or running it high end of aerobic ability at times which sea strange when it can be double the length of other daily runs
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Matt3 wrote (see)
    Maybe Phil could provide us with some pictures of Samir leading through the first mile?

I looked but they are not up yet ...

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't normally monster a big chunk of threshold running into my long slow run but I was expecting to race on Sunday so had eased off a little. Sort of playing catch up to stay five sharp.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

My long run pace is 6.17 - 7.18 as per mcmillan.  So not too far removed from the pace I did.  As I had been on champers and cocktails all week in Sweden I ran to feel, pushing a couple to get my trotters trotting.  

dachs I have rocketman by elton john on my iPod, but I just run with my arms out like a plane for that one.  Thinking about it I should probably concentrate moreimage

sg, no running whilst I was visiting the metropolis of marlow.  Was down for a bite to eat at Tom keridges restaurant.  

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Oh we wouldn't have been foolish enough to try and keep pace on a run, but could have said hello. Meeting some of the northern gang would be useful for keeping thread relations on the up

Having said that I do have a positively insane scheme of a race up your way, depending on dates/circumstances and ability to run after such a long drive...

Despite some post race stiffness, it's remarkable how pleasing it is just to have got back amongst the racing crew. I think just getting back amongst some old pals was as pleasing as the actual business of the race, has been a big miss.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Which race SG?

Barring the recent XC I did, I usually keep myself out of the way at races due to nerves etc and warming up. With no real aims at the last XC and the pressure was off so to speak I just mingled with everyone beforehand until it was time for a quick warm up. It was interesting to see those that just whip off their jacket and go and stand on the start line with no warm up. :-/

An easy 5 this morning which surprisingly came out at 6.18 pace. And then a mile warm up tonight into ANOTHER bloody 40 minute thresholdimage 7 miles at 5.44 pace with a couple of miles warm down. 15+ miles today and 39 in the last 3 days with 23 of them averaging sub 6min pace. Couple of easy days now. image
  • It's funny, I seem to have a fair bit of stiffness today too. Much worse than after Cliveden, which was a harder race. Not helped by pulling something in the old Gluteus Maximus this morning on my bike ride to the station - hopefully it will fade quickly!

Lot's of alcohol in a Nordic country AND Tom Kerridge's Dean - you must be loaded fella image