Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps Bus, I realised I've inadvertently nicked your race number...thinking I was taking mine back from the boot.

I'll keep it safe.

• No worries - I don't keep them. There is a third incline (felt like a hill image) but only the two bridges.

Thanks Scott.

Is it beer O'clock yet???!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I keep them all in a folder. I really need a gf image

Actually, for the purpose of my running, I don't at all.

didn't think I'd made a third one up.

Although anything past 10miles in a half, a mere foot incline feels rough.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Report anyone? Firstly, I can guarantee Ric that the following will contain no moaning...

After a bit of bumbling around warming up on the field, I discovered that they'd kindly left the gate to the all weather football pitches open right next to the start line. Like running on carpet. Beautiful.

As I was doing so, I noticed the usual bloke who starts right on the line and then proceeds to run 1:45. But then he moved back, so not sure whether someone had a word.

Plan was 5:30s - easy, straightforward, not going to cause confusion.

Gun goes, and I'm not sure whether it was the fact that the front end was a little thin this year, but everyone went haring off. I assumed I must just be feeling sluggish, so pushed hard to go with it. Got to about 600m, looked at my watch and realised I'd started at 5:00 pace. Err, not the plan! Reined it in a bit, but mile 1 was still 5:18.

Deliberately slowed it down, as it was far too early for heroics. However, mile 2 was then 5:39. Now it's too slow, dammit! As soon as I saw that 5:39 I immediately sped up, leaving the two guys on my shoulder to wonder what kind of crazy-arsed pacing strategy I was on. All of this silly pacing meant that by 3 miles (mile 3 = 5:22), I was (a) in no man's land and (b) knackered.

There were a couple of guys about 50m down the road, so I set my task as being to try to catch up to them gradually. This took about 4 miles, but at least I was now averaging fairly even 5:26s, and the silly pace changes had stopped. Through 10k in 33:40, ahead of target. Still feeling shattered though, and expecting the wheels to come off later.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Caught up to the two in front at about 7m, and it turns out they're taking turns pacing at 1:12 pace, albeit they're ahead of target. This sounds a cracking idea, so I stick with them and we all share pacing duties. I'm starting to feel stronger again now, although the average pace has slipped to 5:27, it's still under target. Through 10m in 54:29 (10m PB = 55:18), and I know this is where I usually start to suffer. But I also know an 18 minute 5k will give me a PB. Feel stronger than I've felt at 10m at Wokingham before though, so keep pushing.

Our group of three fragments, with one ahead of me and one falling behind, but we've also caught up to the local runner ahead who's been beating me out is sight in the XC. Overtake, but try to encourage him to stick with it, which he does. Shouts from the crowd is that I'm 11th, which surprises me. 

Once I'm at 11m, I can really feel it, but now I know a fast time is on the cards, so just grit my teeth. Legs gradually go over the next 2m, and start to feel sick. But suddenly it's 400m to go, and I power (in my mind) /flail (in reality) to the line. "Here comes Mark Worthington" calls the announcer, but even this tedious error cannot ruin it, as I cross the line in 1:11:38 for a 1 minute PB. Yay! My watch reckons it's a few seconds faster, but that would be moaning, which I am not doing.

Lots of chat afterwards. Results have me 10th, which is fantastic here. All in all a great day

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Andrew, fantastic to see you broke the 1:20. You were definitely in line for a time like that, great stuff.

SG, really good to see you racing again and enjoying it. 3 years ago, you'd have been delighted with that time, so it's all about context. You just need a bit of that sharpness back. Can the white trousers though, you look like one of East 17 that's fallen on hard times.

Bus, great that you were well under 1:20, especially with all the injury shenanigans in the last couple of years. Great to meet you again, don't think we have since Abo 2013!

• Very well done Dachs - absolutely cracking time!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

you shouldn't be able to take 1min off a pb at your end of the field Dachs, that is outrageous. Incredible scenes.

and ta, though enjoying is a bit strong. Enjoying the aftermath maybe. Maybe I should just turn up for that bit.

you marathon boys though, I don't think i'll ever understand how you can tick over for that length of run.

• Thanks Dach's nice to get into the 70's before you disappear into the 60's image

Well done on a superb performance.

There are times during these races when I seriously wonder why we do it, not many sports involve almost guaranteed suffering! 

On a side note my predicted 13 females ahead became just 3. I think the field must have been weakened by people carrying over their entry but not using it. I was in the 70's and I expected to be about 100th.

Re a marathon being a long way, I am thinking a half is a long way. Especially when you see people you beat in XC finishing 5 minutes ahead!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

While I was logging today's result, I did notice less than 1700 there today. Andrew I think you're spot on about why it was underpar turnout.

And Dachs is right about the lower stacked front end

52nd for me out of 1673 , whereas 2 years ago was 2mins quicker, for only 4 places higher out of 2189

I think the level of satisfaction from finishing a half is on a different stratosphere to xc,10ks and under, so I appreciate that a marathon is even bigger on that scale. But I just don't think I'd have the desire to up mileage and long run length, or the non breakable body to do it, as much I can see the impetus it gives your other race lengths

• That's an astonishingly huge PB for someone already that fast, Dachs. Have a party hat smiley: image

Marathons are easier than halves because you get to run slower.

• Ridiculous Dachs! 71 HM super impressive, really did come together for you!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • unfortunately not twice as slow though Lit image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Well done on the racing guys.

I've no idea why anyone should think it so ridiculous that Dachs should knock one minute off his pb, why? after all, the winner ran 64 minutes! what makes that guy so special.

I predict that Dachs will break 70 minutes within two years. 

🙂

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Some great reports there, well done to everyone that raced.

Great running Dachs, although like Ric says a 71 was certainly well within what you're capable of.
  • It's not that we don't think Dachs is good at running, it's more that at an already high level of running, a minute is a pretty big, impressive PB. More so than, say, 10 minutes would be for a beginner.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

You're right Ric, why shouldn't Dachs go on taking minutes off for ages yet, after all the world record is well under an hour

image , image

and image

• Just time to post the regulatory runner behind Sam photo

http://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8634/16287256740_910f7af03e_c.jpg

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

You could have picked the 800 metres of the 13.1miles that I was ahead at the end image

• It's a good job you beat her in the end  SG, imagine the embarassment otherwise...

• ... of being beaten by someone wearing sunnies imageimage

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

can't see those from behind image

• They're reflective - she was wearing them to see you image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

great day of racing for all it sounds.  good running andrew and pete.   SG for just getting out there and hitting a decent time all things considered, Bus for getting a near course PB when he is carrying so many injuries/niggles and of course Dachs.  Fantastic, i felt you had sub 72 in your locker and deep down maybe a 71.30.  so delighted to see that come to reality.  it seems like you have churned out high quality sessions for months and this is your just rewards.  Enjoy the minute PB before setting the next target ( in the morning!!!)image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I can imagine that for certain Dean/Dachs.

For some reason though, I keep thinking back to Stevie See doing a half once, and knocking out 200s on the Tuesday after? That makes me wince.

I'll be having a lovely "Lie in" until 7.30 tomorrow, having a little cry at picking the car up, and then pootling a 5 at lunch. With a glorious T OFF. That's how far only we're looking ahead now. 2 days.

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭

Andrew "Especially when you see people you beat in XC finishing 5 minutes ahead!"; Without running shabbily for me I had the same experience being well beaten by people I've had the better off in xc time and time again. Why do we reckon this is? Are they just a bit soft for the rigours of xc or is it just not being trained up for halves (I know recent injury gives another valid reason in your case!).

• One good thing about these blisters is I'll have to take tomorrow off!

Pete - it's a different game. Some people just seem to be able to float over XC and not lose as much speed as others. By the same token, for a half, the most important thing is being able to keep up a constant (ish) pace for a much longer time, so endurance rather than pure technical ability plays a much bigger part. Some people are able to do both!!

Anyway, next time out Andrew is going to be beating his new PB by another 3 mins I reckon!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

What made me chuckle was when Andrew quoted his prediction at the start, a pretty humble one, and thought my "pfft" response was me doubting he could make it.

Andy, you easily strutted under that one! Once you get longer stuff in, you'll smash that again for certain.

• PeteM wrote (see)
    Happy with 1'25'xx even though most on this forum seem to go a lot quicker!

Pete: all relative: if you are knocking off those times at your age then I consider that pretty tidy.

• Where have you found those photos Phil?