Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

i havent run a 10m,  my only 5m race was nearly 2.5 years ago (27.08), my last park run was 3 years ago (18.08) 

so i have a few races there ripe for an easy PB

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

the third one you could just cruise out of bed in any old gear, have a cigar on and still smash.

Although for me, the half (pending any unlikely change of tacts on the full) will always be my most satisfying distance, 10miles is a really nice one.

Feels so much more comfy a pace than 10k, yet not the real slog of the half. That Great South run was probably my best running experience to date.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

My legs are shot.  a few miles easy today, and for once I was looking forward to the uphills as it gave my legs some relief.

Simon, great placing in the XC.  You've got a sub 55 10 miles to your name, so I really think you could aim for faster than 73:xx.  Reading's got a great field to tuck in with, so if you can settle into a group aiming for 72ish, I'd go with that and see what comes out.

5m is also an easy PB for me - 27:38, from summer 2012 on a hilly course.  I've beaten that by a distance in 7 or 8 10Ks and now a half marathon as well (as well as at least one tempo run!) so it's due a big 'official' revision.

• Options

I've never done a 5 or 10miler. Something that I should try this year. I've lined up a few 10ks and will include the odd parkrun here and there. Must try to get to LFOTM or Battersea too.

Glad you're feeling motivated SG.

• Options

I thought this group normally in Jan put up target times for the year? Expected and stretch target!!

• Options

Cheers Dachs - Well I seem to be a bit more 'chicken' in 10 mile and upwards, whereas I go with it more below those distances - certainly agree that Reading is good for getting in a good group. Definitely try a 5 miler, sub 26 is a good marker, I did 26.00 at Wolverton last year, must be some good ones out there.

The 10 miler i'm doing at Lytchett at the weekend is a pretty decent one, Cabbage Patch is excellent and good VFM too. Did the Nene Valley in 2013 and that's pretty good. Anyone done any other distances? I've done the Stevington 12k before.

Luton training tonight. Hang on. Dry, no wind, not too cold? this only happens 3 times a year image Good core training night all!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

simon, sounds like a strong XC race there..like Dachs i think you have the calibre to ignore mid 73's half and should be targeting bigger.  You have more long race experience than me (plus a strong XC season too) 

as per luton there is no ice/snow on the floor so i am hoping the track will be open for a 800m rep session tonight.

Rob.  to be honest i dont have any particular targets in mind as im focussing purely on a summer track championship, so if i dont PB all season but run well in that race then i will be happy. 

But i would be very competitive in my age group if i aimed for a sub 4min 1500m and maybe a 1.57-1.58 800m but in truth my first hurdle is getting my 800m and 1500m close to last yrs PBs..i have a feeling those few extra seconds will test me to the limit. not many v40 have ever got those times so i have to respect the strain that will put on my body in trying to achieve them and injury avoidance.  but its going to be fun finding out!image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs, not surprised, as you've pulled off a stormer. My legs/tightnesses were more in keeping with a good hard workout, but not the top end performance that calls for extra recovery. I think that Wokingham about 4 years ago was that level, which put me super tight for a week, and then completely out the week after!

Iron, definitely got my race desire back. Not going to make any time targets/predictions at all, but look forward to doing an array of races this year. Some old favourites, hopefully some 3ks and some scenic stuff for pothunting attempts! (all pending some random niggles coming my way!)

• Options

5 miles yesterday and 7 miles today. Today was supposed to be a track session but I have put it off until tomorrow so a little juggling needed but nothing impossible.

• Options

I'm targeting "old fart" PB's from 3k-HM now that should be fun image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Rob, i think a 3k would be fun down at Watford one night.

Hopefully we can arrange it so that all the southern gang can make it, but maybe there's a way for you northern chaps to join us. Stevie see came down one night, but that was a 3hour drive! And they start blooming late too.

• Options

I am targeting being injury free, and the PB's should take care of themselves.

• Options

I'd be game for going to Watford, I'd quite like to do a 1500m. 

I'd love to have done a decathlon, but not sure I'll ever get round to it now. 

• Options

Stevie G it's along way to travel for a 3k when we have a great track meet in Trafford where the 3k is a regular event! but never say never !!

My first Old fart PB attempt is this Sunday a replacement HM for the one cancelled, luckily haven't done one as a vet so that should be an easy PB start!!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

trafford meets are also a BMC grand prix/elite race nights so is a v strong field. i think the reason SS travelled was he just missed his PB at the final trafford meet then travelled down to watford the following week and hit jackpot.

rob i will put a few 3ks in the bank on route to 1500m training early in the season at trafford

good luck in the half....dachs has shown you the way image

• Options
    I've been thinking about Watford guys! Missed doing any last year with injury etc. Will be looking to do some for sure and not that much of a drive I guess

Also had an email about southern 12 stage. Something on the horizon to get fit for. Anyone else?

3 x 1m today felt tough!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I realised when Stevie See was quoting what he needed each lap, that I'd gone in a little half assed.

Whereas i think he was doing even ish splits of something like 1.17/8s, i started with a 1.10, and lost time each lap until about lap 5

• Options
    Thanks Dean but I think Dachs time is a real strettttttttttch target I'll be firstly aiming for 73.xx and then see what happens ! 5.33 miles target pace!
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

a 73 wouldnt be bad for a oldie like you doing a half for the first time in about 25 years image

• Options
    It's actually 32 yearsimage
  • Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    After missing Wokey I've put in for Sidcup 10 on 8th March. I haven't ran one since Maidenhead in 2009 ish I guess. SG was there I think. I ran about 64 mins so it needs seriously addressing.

Did a Marigold / BAC session today on the track: 24 mins MP (6:04m/m), 3 mins, 18mins @ MP, 2 mins, 12 mins @ MP - 12 secs (5:52m/m). The MP reps came out a tad faster at around 6:00m/m and final 12 min section was more like threshold as first mile was 5:46, second 5:47. Double day too so around 18 miles for the day and no major coughing up of a lung which is always a bonus post flu
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I wasn't even born Rob. Haha. Good luck for Sunday, all that altitude training will help you no end.image

Well done on the XC Simon, I agree with the others in that you should be looking past a 73.

Watford is about 4 hours for me. :-/ I was working down there a couple of years ago for a month or so but unfortunately the wrong time of year I think.

Soft PB's, my 5 mile is, 26.39 but my PO10 one it 27.02 I think. Also my 10 mile is at 56.04 which was a really windy day where I sat in a pack until the last 3 miles then ran a mid-low 16 min 5k at the end.

It's a funny old game is running, a 45 min threshold yesterday averaged 168bpm and on a flat as a pancake route and I covered 7.7 miles at 5.49 pace. 168bpm is in the middle of my zone. Tonight's run was a little bumpy, ran for 60 mins with my HR ave at the very bottom of my zone at 162bpm. (159bpm and below is recovery) covered 10.5 miles at 5.42. Seemed to cruise along and went through 10miles in 56.xx.

I was like a panting dog yesterday and a gazelle tonight. Wish they were all like that.

Edit- great session Johnas, saw it earlier on Strava.
  • Options

Busy on here today!

Nice session Johnas. just lloked up Maidenhead Easter 10 for 2010 - unfortunately that's one of the few I've missed and a very are opportunity to have beaten you in a race image

Matt - "cruising" 10 miles in 56:xx - you ba****d image

Iron - hope that foot is OK.

Rob - is it really 32 years since your last half?!?!

Simon - that Lychett 10 is pretty hilly isn't it?

Didn't run today - trying to be sensible after Wokingham, given that running too soon after Maidenhead Half last Sept caused the adductor issue to come back. I did a double on the bike instead - first time for ages! Classic cramp issue this morning though - had to stop for the lights less than 300m from the end and my right calf went into spasms as soon as I tried to move - most embarrassing in front of dozens of peds and drivers!! That hasn't happened for a while, but probably a combination of not riding a bike more than 5 miles for a while with them being very sore after Wokingham.

Will try running tomorrow....

• Options
    Bus - no bullsh1t I haven't raced a HM since 1983 when I did a hilly one at 18 running 73.13 and thinking that was sh1t!!!
  • Options

Be interesting to see what you can do Rob. It was hardcore back in 83..wasn't over 70 mins shite?? image

Scott - Yep will be doing the southern 12 stage - run through Linford woods quite alot on a long run to the brother in laws!

Dean - hope the track was OK - a bit icy a couple of weeks ago on the top bend

Bus - Lychett isn't too bad - I have done 57.xx and not been as fit as now, so looking for 55 or below if poss.

Would be up fpr a Watford 3k - we'll drag Eddie O'G in too and have a tear up!

8 x 1k on thew grass last night with 80 secs recovery. 3.16 first then 3.12,3.11,3.10, 2 x 3.09 and then the dreaded toilet stop!! then 3.17 and 3.06 for the last 2. Quite happy with that.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

After the easy two days after Wokingham of 5+0, wasn't sure what i'd get for the rest of the week.

Therefore today was a cheeky 12miler,with 6 easy, and 6 steady. Easy section came out 7.08 average, and steady section came out 6.43.  Could feel the hamstrings saying "we preferred the last 2 days", but generally fine.

Feelts quite nice to have that done by 9am, and then nothing until Friday now!

• Options

Rob - not surprised you haven't done another one since after that crap time image

Simon - I've been on holiday in Purbeck a couple of times when the Lychett 10 has been on - maybe next time I'll actually do it then!

I'm impressed SG - must be the benefits of youth! I ran 5.5M this morning and there isn't a muscle in my legs that isn't telling me it was a stupid thing to do image Might need to get the Mrs to pick me up tonight!

• Options

Simon/Bus very true the mental scars of such a sh1t run are still with me today no wonder I didn't do another. I did finish 5th so maybe that shows the toughness of the course or that's my excuse and I'm sticking too itimage Oh forgot to say my furthest race before that was a 6mile XC does that help with the excuses?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i love the 1 in that word Rob and the smilies! I remember having to educate you about their use years back (although ironically, my smilies don't work today!)

Bus - i wouldn't say it felt gorgeous. Was out at the wycombe game last night, made a complete balls up of arrangements and ended up having to run 1/2mile in, wearing 4/5layers of clothing. My word that was a sweat fest, no wonder chubby peeps wear tonnes of layers to lose weight! But anyway, late night by my standards, and 6am wake up, followed by the joint longest morning run i've ever done was an interesting combo!

ps 164 races up, with 24 halves now. I know you've done 201, what's the half total in that? Always interesting to compare as we had race 1 on the same day. July 2002!

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Rob - not only did you not break 70 minutes, at 18 you probably also didn't have a moustache, which was a terrible crime for a runner in those days.

I'm definitely doing some Watford 3Ks this year, breaking 9 is one of my main goals.  Just need to make sure I put down a time that puts me at the back of the A race rather than the front of the B race again, because that's no use at all.  I loved the Watford track as well, felt really good to run on.

Great run Matt.  You got any halfs looming?  I think you could be in line for a 70 if you target one.