Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Thanks BBB. I'll investigate that lacing anyhow. It wasn't the long run per se that caused the problem, but a shorter run a few days later that rubbed in the same place.

• Not sure yet, Iron. I have another interview Monday, so I'll attend that first. Market seems to be picking up. There are certainly better offers out there, need some cash though.

• I also got caught in the rain on the bike at lunch.

Good luck for Monday AG!.

• Stevie G wrote (see)

Looks similar to my Wednesday run Phil, 6 easy, 6 steady. Although presumably your steady would be faster than 7.20? Maybe a steady on the target MP you're using.

It was a MLR so should be MP+20% and then MP+10%. For my 3:10 marathon they should be 0:08:42  and 0:07:58 so way faster. Average 7:30 should be 0:07:49  and  0:07:10 which makes MP 6:31 (2:51), but I was too fast going out and not fast enough coming back: Sunday still in the legs and it was easier to run close to even rather than that big second half kick.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Nice one AG. I too got offered a job yesterday after being made redundant at start of December. Negotiating terms and wondering how I'm gonna fit marathon training in with commuting back to London (no shower in the office grrrrr!)

Good luck to all racing this weekend
  • Good work, Johnas. My final question in the interview was, "do you have a shower?" Thankfully, "yes", was the response.

Cheers, iron. Hopefully this one has a shower too.
  • Congratulations on the job offers, Johnas and Andrew G! The answer to that question at my new(ish) job was 'here is an interactive online map of all the available showers in the whole town'. Johnas - some of the mainline train stations have showers, I think.

• Congrats Johnas too.

At my last place (3mi from home) we didn't have showers though one guy used to strip wash in the bathroom.

In all the time I worked there I cycled in 3 times image.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Congratulations on the job offers from me too, and good luck to all racers this weekend.

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Congrats on those with joboffers 

a tempo cruise interval session for me today.  5*1m target 5.24 off 60 sec rec. did them on the track & they came out 5.22, 5.24, 5.24,  5.23,  5.23.  So happy enough with those.  A 15m planned tomorrow.

Rob, good luck tomorrow and any one else racing.

• Dean - Yes, can understand why you'd prioritise the Worlds over the Nationals this year if it's a straight choice. Could be some time before they're that close to the UK again, and a rare opportunity for you to test yourself against Whiteman. 

Good luck, Iron - hope you get it sorted soon one way or t'other. Sounds like one of those frustrating borderline niggles that leaves you undecided which way to go...

...and which Bus would continue to train and race on and still be muttering about 6 months later. image

• Good reps Dean, longer stuff is OK after all.

Big-Bad-Bob wrote (see)

Good luck, Iron - hope you get it sorted soon one way or t'other. Sounds like one of those frustrating borderline niggles that leaves you undecided which way to go...

...and which Bus would continue to train and race on and still be muttering about 6 months later. image

Exactly that type of niggle BBB! image

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Turns out i needed some rest as you said iron. image I had a bit more fight when I was few seconds adrift on some of the reps to pull them back on track.  Whereas there was zero fight on Tuesday.

hope that niggle clears soon enough.

• + 1 for different lacing! Physio showed me different way and they feel tight and secure but without "pressure"

Dean - I canned both my sessions last week and allready feel better, mentally too - will see how Monday pans out but sometimes it goes like that - those mile reps are quick off 60s and for a not full whack season you can't complain

Good luck to those racing tomorrow?!

Hoping the trend with job offers goes my way, had interview Friday. 2nd one to come though.. Good stuff though for those being offered things

Think I saw an AG WR 45-49 for the mile earlier 4:12??? Crazy!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I didn't know half the thread were training as full time athletes recently!image congrats on the jobs.

Nice session Dean. Normal pace resumed!

I had a bash at the local parkrun yesterday. Every time I plan to run there it ends up windy and its always head on down the long straight. Spent 10 mins jogging round the park and decided not to do it and do a session instead until a minute before they set off. First time I've 'raced' on the road to HR so I never had a clue what pace I was going until each mile.

Tough going on the long stretch and just over a mile in I thought I was well clear until I looked behind to see I was being used as the chief windbreak again. image grass section was soft and muddy so pretty happy with 16.44. Ended up a minute clear of second and in better conditions I think I'd have bettered my course pb which is 16.26.

Did a 30 min threshold straight after.

Good luck to those racing today, think its just Rob?
  • The planned 17 became 18 due to some incompetent pausing on the Garmin on an out and back so the out was too long. Also became a very slow and muddy 18, but very enjoyable. Plan was always to do it as a time on the feet run and a 9:10 mile followed by one at 9:33 (and 76 metres height gain) got me into the right mind set so I settled back and enjoyed running along very muddy and very wet paths. Just over 2.5 hours on the feet and the shows felt like bricks when I took them off at the end. One more long run (20) next Sunday and then 16, 12, marathon!

• Came 12th disappointed with time 74.24 lack of racing certainly showed !!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I wouldn't be too disappointed Rob. In a HM it's possible to lose or gain a few seconds per mile anywhere.

I mean, but for about 10 seconds per mile, you'rd have run 72 minutes.

Phil.M.J. Looks like a decent sensible training run. Makes more sense than some claiming 6:30 or sub 7 miles as easy and only managing a borderline six in a race.

Easy pace at those race rates is 8 minute per mile plus. Alas, lack of time and size of ego will not allow it.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Matt, Rob, cracking times to be disappointed with image

And Phil, an 18miler swimming around in the mud sounds a good effort.

I did 13, and I have to be honest, I'm always pleased to see the end of runs that long!

• RicF wrote (see)

I wouldn't be too disappointed Rob. In a HM it's possible to lose or gain a few seconds per mile anywhere.

I mean, but for about 10 seconds per mile, you'rd have run 72 minutes.

Phil.M.J. Looks like a decent sensible training run. Makes more sense than some claiming 6:30 or sub 7 miles as easy and only managing a borderline six in a race.

Pointed remark! And also racing a 20 in Feb , why?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Racing a 20!

That's about six weeks recovery isn't it?

As someone who always races a race. I could never do the recommended lead up races to a marathon. 10k's might be about it, but 20's? 

I once ran an 18 mile race several weeks (6) prior to marathon. So that was another marathon wrecked. Knackered 5 miles in, if I remember.

🙂

• A girl in my club raced a marathon and then ran a half marathon PB the week after!

• Well done, Rob. Maybe not the time you wanted, but still a fabulous time. Great Parkrunning Matt, 16.4x at this time of the year is good going. 

Some good long runs out there too. 

Just over 40 miles on the bike Saturday, was a club run with some mixed abilities, so worked out as an easy ride with efforts on the hills.

More importantly I managed just over a four mile run with no issues. Well apart from having a stinking cold. I should apologise to the local community for effectively leaving a snail trail behind me.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Great result Rob. Looking at your Strava splits, looks a well paced race right to the end. Top stuff

Good 'first finishing' at Parkrun Matt. I remember doing 16.33 at a Parkrun with SG and then doing a 30 min threshold session straight afterwards and I'm sure he'll happily admit, he thought I was bonkers!

He'll also struggle to understand today's long run I guess. 2hr 30 min long run with last 30 mins at MP (came out slightly faster than 6:04m/m at 6:01m/m). 22 miles in total

Nice long run from PJ & SG and good to see you getting your trainers on AG post Wokey. Good luck on the job front Scotch.
  • Good runs/races/parkruns Johnas, AG, PMJ &  Rob.

Good luck Scott too. I know what you mean SG. Last week's ~13 was like that.

I did 70km on the bike yesterday and then another 32km today split around volunteering at the local junior parkrun. No one threw up this week so they all need to run harder.

There is always one Lit!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Well done all on the progress on the employment front. Johnas, will you be back working with glamour models again soon?

Rob, it's still a very decent time, especially since you haven't raced a half for so long. It can be a difficult distance to get right. 

Nice parkrun Matt, especially following it up with 30 mins threshold. I once tried doing some threshold after a mid 16 parkrun. Think I managed 3 minutes before giving up.

My week has been a write off running wise. 30 miles total. First 3 ddays I struggled to recover from Wokingham. Then the second half was torpedoed by various commitments/consequent hangover. Oh well, can't always do the miles.

• Just real life there Dachs, I have too many hangovers getting in the way of decent training, usually after watching Bournemouth away matches!

Rob- half time still nothing to be sniffed at at all!!

Well, managed 56.07 today at the Lytchett 10. And apologies to Bus, yes it is hillier than I remember! The hill I remembered was just a slight drag, nothing compared to the real hill that lasted about a mile from 6-7. 8 onwards was generally downhill so it helped with the time. Anyway got a ??10 voucher for first V40 for the sports shop down the road..

Attempting a steady 5 miles tomorrow, off all week for half term, thank god..
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Good result Simon. Only a tenner for 1st V40 seems a bit light though. Might get a pair of socks which are always handy.

Dachs, at least you are able to be philosophical about the post race effects. The fact that so many runners try speed sessions only two days afterwards is to believed. The fact they can't really understand why they aren't flying around is another matter.

Due to the fact I have satisfied all my commitments and will not be taking on any more, I haven't really any excuse not to train properly.

The last 3 weeks have been in the 70 miles plus area and added to that has been a lot of indoor bike work. If the calorie count is anything to go by, it added up to the running equivalent of another 50 miles.

Friday and over the weekend, I trained with Andrea (Whitcombe). That was interesting. Only back training 3 weeks (after baby number 2) and already operating at an average 8:15 chatting pace.

Went past the local road race (Harrow 10k) and lost about 20 minutes running as my local celebrity friend became involved in a one sided conversation with some old (older than me) guy, who let it be known how pissed off he was with vet runners who have only become faster (than him) because they were full timers.

In his opinion it was akin to cheating.

I said nothing.

🙂

• RobT - Saw on strava and good pacing and cracking time either way! I think you have to ask yourself though, how much was left in the tank? More to come I would say given the training you've produced

PMJ 2.5 hours! Top effort, things seem to be going smoothly for the marathon

Dachs - forced rest may be more beneficial after the HM anyway

Simon - Great run, low 56 on hilly course

Good cycle AG

Johnas - really impressive LR again!

Good parkrun / TH - Matt I can imagine a session like works wonders for strength

Ta on the job front - I'm still working full time just since I didn't get in the army looking to change career now. So I'm not a full time runner image I don't think it would make much difference until you could build up several hours a day training. I'm off work next week but wouldn't just go run twice a day + gym plus an hour of stretching or something, that takes time to build up too but would be nice! I did about 7 hours last week, 5 and a bit running worth..

3rd week in a row in the 40mpw area. Didn't finish either session but did fit a good parkrun last Saturday so things seem to be going ok.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body