Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Busy on here yesterday. I'm with Iron - try and avoid cycling when icy, or stick to gritted roads.

Talking of which, I decided to do a road run yesterday first thing as I could' be bothered to navigate off road. Mistake! There was black ice in sheets all over the place, and all on very steep narrow lanes - very hairy! Came out well over 8mM pace, with the downhills slower than the flat! Evening run was a bit of a mud fest, followed by a wade through 2ft deep cowshit in an unavooidable farmyard!! Total for the day - 7.6M road, 6 mile clifftop walk, 4.5 miles of grime and a shed load of hills! 

Scott is the chain rubbing only when in the largest sprocket at the back? If so, it could be one of the limiting screws on your rear mech needs tightening, but Iron is probably right that you are crossing your chain (small ring front, big at back) and getting chain suck.

• Dachs- was training at cofton last Saturday. Bit muddier than last year but still going to be a fast course I would have thought. They have it there partly because it is often a trial race and emulates faster European/world XC courses.

Good to here Scott!

1.20 is my race start Rob. image
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Pros are out!

So as one distinct amateur let me post and get out of dodge.

13.5miles before work, which I guess is a taster of what some of you marathon people face each week.

Came out 7.07 average, nice little route into Marlow, then a couple of miles on the Thames Path opening gates, crunching through some icy/mud, bit of field action, and then half mile steep hill at around 11miles.

Then realising what I thought was a magicly measured 13miles was actually 13.5miles. Oh well.

From half way could feel this new niggly bit tighten, a bit unsure whether it's hip/groin or pelvis, which sounds ridiculous of me, but I'll try and work it out!

I expect it's one of these referred things from the back needing a slight tweak, but for now, glorious rest until Friday.

• The Bus wrote (see)

you are getting chain suck.

I guess chain suck is bad. Other sucks are good.

• JonnyD good luck I'll be there watching I'll give you a shout image

Dean great 800's session last night good to see you flying around that oval thing image

• Nice long one SG, and all done early morning.

I headed out mid morning, enjoying another glorious day. Thought I'd try something stupid, so attempted 8 miles with 4 miles in the middle at HMP. With a cold still occupying my system and no regular miles in the bank the results were inevitable.

Had a brisk warm up at 6.45 then was hoping for something inside 6.05 for 4 miles. What I got was 6.19 average for the HMP and 6.36 for the full 8m. Got home and had a coughing wheezy fit and put the ankle up on ice. 

Running is not much fun atm.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

cracking 800s Dean, only just read back, good volume too.

Andrew, 4miles HMP continuous I think is quite a hard session, so perhaps not one to just do on the casual!  Did that very session pre Christmas at 5.46 average, having never ever done more than 3miles HMP in a go before.

Had a nice couple of mile wander at lunch. Tight region feels..tight. But do have 2 sleeps until the next run...although they are 400s at 5k pace, so we'll see how that goes.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Cheers for the 10K suggestions.  Not sure about PB potential though.  I've run the BUPA 10,000 and, though I thought I was flying, came out with a slow time.  I blamed the twists through the city.  I'm away that weekend I expect anyway.  As for Southampton 10K, they boast on their website that the route takes you to the top of the Itchen bridge with spectacular views due to its height - twice.  Not sure that will make it PB fare.

Good reps Dean.

Andrew, echo what SG said, a continuous run at HM pace is not something I'd expect to nail when not sharp, so not too much of a surprise.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dachs means Dachs alright! (sorry, in more knackered moments, i always find myself signing that to the backstreet boys, backstreets back chorus)

Any...way....a south coast race that isn't flat, i don't want to hear it!

GSR, Victory 5, Eastleigh, Chichester, Portsmouth 5ks, Portsmouth 10k

Absolutely dripping with fast races.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

jonny, arent inters on the sat before trafford 10k on the sunday?

enjoyed last nights session but need to up the rep length and pick up the speed slightly too.  but im building so if i can get myself fit i will just have to hope race day magic finds the extra 20 secs i need.

good long session SG particulary bearing in mind you chaps are fighting the ice at the moment.  none up here any more but had it for a fortnight (mind you i wussed out and did my sessions on a treadmill)

AG - i struggle to do tempo pace on the road and agree with the chaps that its a session you need to be on top form/health for

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

cripes Dean, wasn't the pace already mid 32s 10k pace? 

Just on your last note, I really have to pick a road route carefully to get sharper tempos off. I have no idea how Dachs does long super fast ones. Either the roads are marvellously runnable where he lives, or he's just an utter monster

Just seen the United quarter final has been set to a Monday night. The utter goons. that's more awkward then it needed to be.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Stevie G wrote (see)

Just on your last note, I really have to pick a road route carefully to get sharper tempos off. I have no idea how Dachs does long super fast ones. Either the roads are marvellously runnable where he lives, or he's just an utter monster

Hasn't been any ice at all around my way for a couple of weeks - and even then there have only been about five days total when ice was remotely an issue for me (I do all of my running on suburban parks and pavements rather than rural routes, which helps).  Wycombe area always seems to get it much worse than we do.

• Not doing intercounties this year Dean
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Hence why I'm in the Berkshire team...

• I used to work in Wycombe and there'd be no snow here but when I got to work it was all over the place. I would have thought running around the town would be ok, as chewing gum has a lower freezing point.

Nice to hear my struggles are to be expected, I needed to do something to lift the general running malaise. I was just self massaging my achilles area where it seemed to sting a bit, I looked down and it was because I was rubbing so hard, the skin was coming off!

• Andrew G wrote (see)

I used to work in Wycombe and there'd be no snow here but when I got to work it was all over the place. I would have thought running around the town would be ok, as chewing gum has a lower freezing point.

Nice to hear my struggles are to be expected, I needed to do something to lift the general running malaise. I was just self massaging my achilles area where it seemed to sting a bit, I looked down and it was because I was rubbing so hard, the skin was coming off!

I have this problem sometimes... 

Dachs - The itchen bridge really isn't that bad IMO. I think it creates more of a problem for the half where they then go up another long stretch of incline towards the uni..

2nd interview confirmed today so positive vibes, feel I am in a strong position to be honest but have to go through the process. If this pulls off then I should be clear every weekend switching to Mon-Fri, meaning more racing image I'll keep to my alternate weekends with Mia but off every other one so I may find myself looking at races soon. 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Scott's beaten me to it, but I thought I'd tumbled across some kind of 50 shades of desperate old woman type writing for a second.

Andrew G wrote (see)

I looked down and it was because I was rubbing so hard, the skin was coming off!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps good luck with the interview Scott (and also for the other job AG).

Just make sure you don't mention that you love to scuffle into the early hours with running legends online.

• Yes good luck Scott.

If it goes all the way down to the achilles area, you're going to faint long before the skin comes off.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

depends what angle you're at.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Dean, do the 800s feel really controlled at around 2.30 pace bearing in mind your sub 2 racing capabilities? Nice session!

SG, do you sit down all Dayan work? Do you think that could be a contributing factor to all this tightness you're suffering from? I get tired legs with being on my feet all day but I'm sure it helps in regards to keeping my legs ticking over. Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Good luck to the Job seekers! It's nice to hear you can turn a job down due to showering facilities whereas I spend half the year shitting in portaloos on muddy building sites following 16 stone dirty arse contractors and sitting on their warm seats. image

Has everyone seen the twitter spat with Vernon and Mo? Mo seems to be getting a bit of grief for these so called 'easy' races. I'm not sure VLM, racing Bekele at the GNR or his double Olympic gold at London were that easy. Vernon seems to come out of it incredibly well in the eyes of the elite runners (or them that blog for eightlane etc). Can't see the need for his original tweet in all honesty.

Couple of decent runs this week, a double on monday with 7 mile at 5.46 pace at night on an undulating route and Tuesday was 10 mile at 5.38. Track tomorrow to hopefully get my legs moving.
  • Cheers Scott, all fit and healthy now. Last race as a junior this weekend at the national. Hopefully defend that title! Hope training is all going well for you?

Yea really pleased for both of the guys- but your right got to keep myself a bit ahead of them!image although just a bit of fun before the serious track stuff! Are you doing intercounties? 

• What happens after junior Johnny, is it straight in to Seniors or is there an U23 bucket? Good luck for the weekend.

I found self massage of the achilles worked well. I didn't rub the skin off though, probably because I was wearing long socks. Sure it wasn't dirt AG?image

Why is it I wait all week for a rest day and then the day itself drags on? Back on the bike tomorrow and feeling positive for a short test run in the next few days. Hopefully I can wait until Sunday to give a few more days healing time.

Good run SG and good reps Dean. It's been a while since my last tempo run, before xmas I think. I'd rather do track work. At least you know you'll get an RI soon.

SG do you use a foam roller?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Iron - I have one, but to be honest I don't really ever feel it does much. It's smooth, maybe it needs some bobbles for greater purchase...

Also this area is quite an odd one to get into. You'd probably find you'd just be rubbing against the hip bone which wouldn't do anything anyway!

Matt - yep the dreaded sitting all day. It's like a twin lifestyle. Intense exercise or sitting/lying around. There is barely a middle ground except for lunch walkies on non run times. I do try and find reasons to wander though. And at times sneak off to the shower room to do some stretching!

To be fair, the hamstring/glutes have been fairly decent, especially compared to last year.

I suspect my misguided attempts to loosen my hips, have actually done the opposite and slightly tweaked something in the SI joint, meaning I'm getting some referred aches. If it was just one side, I'd suspect more groin/pelvis type strain type thing, but I get it a little on the right side too.

I'll monitor, but 13.5miles at just above 7 came out ok. The acid test will be 400s at 5k pace Friday.

If I time things right, i'll be able to utilise the work health scheme to get some free appointments from March 1st onwards for 1month. So i'll test until then I think.

ps unless the Vernon and Mo thing is just their style of banter, which is unlikely (until they pretend that later), it did seem a pathetically jealous type comment from Vernon.

Mo should have just ignored it, but I can see why he didn't.

Best retort came from a journalist, saying it was like a Man Utd youth team player criticising a world class star!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps apologies for that length of post.

It seems even 5 years into MTSG I'm still absolutely pony at concise posts

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Andy Vernon is always getting into rows on Twitter, that seems to be what floats his boat. He could kick the shit out of Mo, but unfortunately he couldnt catch him in the first place.

He had a similar thing with Lynsey Sharp. I was on her side in that, cos ... well, I'm a man aren't I.

Threshold reps tonight - 4 x 3000 off 600m. Didn't feel good, but the pace was decent - 10:02, 9:52, 9:57, 9:56. Some issues on the last one as my hip started to tighten up and I had to stop a couple of times to stretch it out. Bit depressing when everyone else finishes their session and I'm just starting my final rep.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Matt3 wrote (see)
    Dean, do the 800s feel really controlled at around 2.30 pace bearing in mind your sub 2 racing capabilities? Nice session! 

yep, at yesterdays pace i felt in control and could accelerate or vary the pace without discomfort. (ignoring last weeks mess of a session)  But its a different mind set.  when im training for a 800 race you know each rep is eye balls out and you go as fast as you can but for the long stuff i am always thinking about leaving enough in the bank for the later reps. so mentally its harder.

Oh and those 2 sessions you have done this week matt were excellent.  at this rate you will be chasing down Jonny

a quick scan of the trafford starting list shows Robt on it too.  So a four way thread race between the 2 fast young ones in Jonny and Matt plus a couple of old men in rob and myself. 

xpost with dachs.  5.20 mile pace, nice work.  get a 10k in and get a sub 32.  its in there.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

you wanna try doing your session on your own, in freezing cold winter on a Friday night on a blustery track like I used to for depressing son! image

• Not doing intercounties this year Dean
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I'm 10 years older than Johnny!

And I'll be doing well if I can keep you and Rob in my sights!