Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Simon Coombes 2 wrote (see)

Stevie - who makes your training plan?

that would be....the guy whose name is in the thread you're posting on image

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Good to see Nikki back and running well.

I like to think that whoever nicked SG's base layer has added it to a burgeoning collection in a SG shrine somewhere.  I'm thinking of a situation akin to that Alan Partridge episode, where Alan is trapped in a house with his stalker who has a massive tattoo of his face on his chest.  A big old Stevie G tattoo.

Iron- ouch!

Simon - good reps.  Looks a pretty big week leading up to the inter-counties to me!

Spent the weekend in Germany.  Managed to get out for one ten miler, but didn't go further as my calf started to play up after the previous day's hills.  Seems OK now though.  Did 3 x 1 mile yesterday as a light pre-race session.  Will  do a handful of 400s tonight, but nothing too strenuous ahead of Saturday.  I'll hope to see Simon there - what does the Beds vest look like?  Berks is green with a twin yellow horizontal stripe.

• Dachs - we are white with German colours down the side. Like Norfolk but they are horizontal!!

I'll keep an eye out..

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Iron - I'll second that ouch!

Simon - I've had earlier versions of the DS racer and loved them. Never tried the Hyperspeed but felt it would be best for shorter races really. This time though, the DS racer was kind of by accident, as it was a replacement for some Saucony Vittara's that went missing in an order from Sportshoes.com!

Talking of which - I got home today to find a parcel from them waiting. A lovely Inov-8 race pac 16, together with a letter from the MD personally apologising for the problems I'd had with my last two orders ! Whilst it was a bit of a series of unfortunate events and took longer than it should, their customer service people did sort it out, gave, me free postage and a discount on my order. The letter and rucsac are the icing on the cake, so a big hat's off to them for outsanding service!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Nice reps, Simon. Iron, be careful. I have a pair of DS racers, not sure if they are any good, all trainers seem the same to me.

Monday I picked up a weird groin injury, I have a pea sized lump in the crease between my leg and hip. Feels sore, can't run. It's either a tear, enlarged lymph node or a hernia. That is according to the internet! Anyway it doesn't stop me cycling so I went out for 3.5 hours today and did 60 hilly miles. Thought I would pay Whiteleaf in Princes Risborough a visit, it's one of the top 100 climbs in UK according to my little book. Racked up 4000ft of hills which hopefully makes up for the lack of running.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That doesn't sound too pleasant Andrew. Makes me feel a bit better about my current chafing issue though!

Nice ride that. I know the Whiteleaf climb well, as I quite often do that or Kop Hill on my ride home from Aylesbury. I've done it the other way a few times too - most notably as a unavoidable diversion  when the police closed the road past Chequers after an accident  They couldn't have picked a worse diversion for someone on a two wheels! To add to it's general steepness and twistiness, it was -5C the night after rain and as it's not gritted,  was covered in black ice, and with lots of impatient car drivers trying to pass me taking each bend as if it might be my last! 

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

It's one of my favourite climbs but it's a long trek out to it for me. I like to go up Whiteleaf and then straight back down Kop, which is a much safer descent!

Kop was my PB for top speed for a while at 56.5mph and I have been out there a couple of times trying to hit the magic 100kph but I just don't think I am fat enough to do it!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Good to hear you're going well Nikki, good luck for Edinburgh, I'm a wuss and just doing the half which I think starts at 8am! Hopefully out for a few beers for midday! image

Good luck to everyone at the inters! Sounds a tough week there simon before going to battle in the mud! Is it on Sky this year, will have a look later as I'm under orders to watch cartoons at the min.

Hopefully it's nothing too serious AG, I sometimes get a little lump that sticks out of my stomach when I've been training hard, although it's pain free and disappears. The bike ride sounds a decent enough substitute though! Not sure if have the bottle to go over 30mph on a bike, one wrong move even at that speed and it'd be painful.

A lighter week for me this week has coincided with a sore Achilles and a sore knee. Definitely not the usual pre race jitters but down to rewiring an old house and being on my knees, crawling under floors, in lofts and keep getting up and down from a kneeling position. People say running causes you to ruin your knees but I'm certain it's the getting up and down from a kneeling/sitting position or using the constant full movement of the joint.

Did my usual shit or bust tactic of squeezing one last session in before Trafford which was 4x 1km off 3 mins. Did it on the treadmill and ran the 1km at 20kmph so 3 mins dead for the efforts. I'm pretty certain I'll never be a 30 min 10k runner after I finished. Knee and Achilles felt better yesterday so hopefully the lighter week will help.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Fingers crossed Matt! 

That is fast down Kop Hill Andrew! My fastest ever was many years ago when I hit 55mph coming down Winnat's pass. It was in traffic an very silly! Far too sensible (cowardly) for such things these days...

• Stevie G wrote (see)
    Simon Coombes 2 wrote (see)

Stevie - who makes your training plan?

that would be....the guy whose name is in the thread you're posting on image

Yeah, but that was about ten years ago wasn't it? ha ha. I knew a guy who ran 400 up to 5k who ran for Bedford, not the same is it?

Fear not about the hard week before the Inters - only doing a few strides today - thats my scientific approach to a weekend race - easy Thursday! Matt - good reps, good luck for the 10k.

Whiteleaf nr Princes Risbourough? Met a girl called Sarah from there in Ibiza nearly 20 years ago. My finest moment - in that 'punching above weight' way image. Far too good looking and classy for me tbh!!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

5 years anniversary on 30th March Simon. Although i did have a few months end of last year running amok, when I was tighter than a Tory MP.

Same fella. He's focusing on tennis now.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Sounds strange AG.  Think it might be one of those things where you go and see a doctor as opposed to taking advice from the internet.

Nice reps Matt.  I think Sky have the rights, but I've seen no reference to any TV coverage, so I'm doubting it'll be on anywhere.  Shame, could be a good race, particularly the ladies where there are lots of quality names on the entry list.

Coming down Winnat's pass, Bus?  Nah, too easy ...

Did a few 400s last night, not as a session, but more to work through the gears a little bit pre-race.  10 of them, with a full lap jog recovery.  Started off slowly and sped up.  85, 80, 76, 74, 74, 74, 69, 69, 70, 71.  The times on the last few depended on when I hit the big groups on a very busy track. 

Just booked a weekend in the Peak District, so looking forward to a run or two up there.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Not as easy as my regular ride to work, which involves riding through a valley called Bryant's Bottom. Coming quickly through Bryant's Bottom was particularly hairly until they slurry sealed it to smooth out all the cracks some years ago. It does need re-surfacing again as the cracks in Bryant's Bottom are growing and getting very mucky. It's particularly amusing (and done to death!), as I work with a lady who's surname is Bryant

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Very nice 400s by the way!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    What gear do you go through Bryants bottom in Bus? Ramsbottom is a small town local to me.

Nice reps Dachs, you thinking of taking a race in or just a run? Been a few times to the Peak District but mainly to Hope and Castleton which are next to Mam Tor and some decent hills.
  • Cheers Stevie - thought it was Andrew, never bothered to check..was friends with him on facebook for a while.

Solid 400's Dachs, good warm up for the weekend. Which I must clean my spikes for - hopefully 12's should be ok. The ground there isn't like swiss cheese like Hampstead is, thank F!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Simon, I've got the 15s in, and expect to be in them, but mainly as I can't be bothered to change spikes.  But I'll bring the 12s and see what the ground is like.  I've done a relatively dry course in the 15s this winter without any problems.

Matt, I think I'll get in trouble if I dare to book a race in on a family weekend!  Might have to be some scenic training runs instead.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Usually something close fitting Matt!

Track for me today - also 400s. 2x5 with 60-75sec rec and 2 mins between. Bit windy on the back straight, which is why the rec went up from 60 sec later on but came out OK, and I must have got the effort right as there was just the hint of a retch at the end of the very last one image

82, 81, 80, 80, 79, 79, 80, 80 ,80 , 80.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Simon, he did some ferocious times, but I guess it's a thankless task smashing track races into your 40s, and if you're excellent at another sport, that's probably a better bet!

Was able to get a couple of free Osteo appointments, so thought I'd check out what might be making the hip bones tight with a couple of referred feels. Seems to be a case that while the hamstring stretches have been decent, I need to be counter balancing with quad stretches and other lunges.

Sounds good advice to me, so will add it in.

• Nice reps Dachs & Bus. Hope the achilles sorts itself out Matt. I've found that leaning on my knees can hurt too, especially if sitting on my legs. Do you have kneepads?

Pretty sure we did Whiteleaf on the Chiltern Hundred the other year. We did every other bloody hill in the south east including Wardrobes. It's in here somewhere. ~2400mm of climb over 180km.

Seems I hit 71.8kph going down Kop Hill. Like AG I don't have the potential energy for fast descending.

Could feel myself running sideways this morning and have a tight hip abductor or TFL that needs some rollering out. Toe taped up and seems ok.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That is some ride Iron!!

SG - the knee bone's connected to the....thigh bone, the thigh bone's connected to the....hip bone image

Anything you are not stretching now??

Does seem we are all falling apart at the mo!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if I can pretend I'm falling apart Bus, this is week 3 of 70miling after all image

I do realise I'm very much wary of the "pride before a fall" style of hyping myself up though, hence usually keeping races under wraps, and never predicting big times.

Sometimes I sense that irritates people more than If I cruised on and said, "I'm gonna do a 33min 10k next time out".

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps 33min 10k! The prospect of that just made everything ache more image

• The Bus wrote (see)

That is some ride Iron!!

SG - the knee bone's connected to the....thigh bone, the thigh bone's connected to the....hip bone image

Anything you are not stretching now??

The Bus wrote (see)

That is some ride Iron!!

A ride the likes of which I won't be doing for a while. That was a long hot day.

Falling apart - more careworn!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

A quick filter of the Whiteleaf segment on Strava shows you did indeed do Whiteleaf in the Chiltern 100. I am slowly coming to the conclusion that riding more than 4 hours is not really enjoyable!

SG - Did you mean to say "training is going well and I am going to smash Reading and go under 75 minutes?"

I managed a short run yesterday, lump remains but pain has gone. I suspect the lump was always there. It is probably the one time I have done an internet search and cancer was not suggested. Did a warm up and a couple of 1 mile reps (5.40 & 5.49), usual consistency but didn't want to push it and do any more.

I suspect I will still run Reading to get my monies worth but at this rate I will be happy to get close to my Wokingham time.

• Rest day today, so a leisurely 0715 alarm call.

Rollered the TFL and it's tight and sore. May seek some massage.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Probably should still get it checked out Andrew - put your mind at rest. Reps are fast enough though.

Which 10k you going to smash then SG image

7.5M xc to the station this morning. Positively spring like! Slight pain under left arch of foot a bit concerning though.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Andy, funny you mention Reading, but only as I foolishly encouraged my work pal to do it and said I'd definitely find him a place.

I've spent the last 2 weeks posting requests for a place and hassling everyone i can think of.
    I was gutted when a Sandhurst runner posted a free place on their board the other day, and I was just too late. Doh.

Iron, I thought cycling was the sport that gives no injuries, and you limit the running, so where do you think your niggles come from?

Quite fancied the session today, 4x0.25mile at 5k, 3m MP, 4x0.25mile 5k. (60sec recoveries)

Was a good workout, can feel i need to really crack on with the 2new stretches as it was tight for the end of the MP bit, and first rep of the second 5k set. However, after that the latter 3 felt fine.

1.17,1.18,1.16,1.21 first set  eased off too soon on the last one!

just sub 6.00 for the 3m MP

1.18 the average for both sets then. 5.14 pace. so spot on all in.

Dentist (!) and a 4miler is the rest of the day's plan (plus work!)

• Get it checked out AG.

SG - any form of speedwork will cause damage, whether it is swim, bike or run. It's how the damage is dealt afterwards; rest, recovery/easy training.

Achilles & recent LH foot problem were caused after increased distance in a short time, some where I'd gone off-plan, some navigational. Can't mitigate against kicking something hard image

• Dachs - the missus is cleaning the spikes today (I did offer!) she's Beds team manager for women so i'm there stupidly early - as with the national..see you there at some point i'm sure.

Good reps Bus and Stevie - have we had a Reading roll call yet? looking forward a bit more now as managed to find some more adizero Tempo's for £45 (pre boost) which feel great, wore them to work yesterday. Just feel faster than the DS Trainer, more stripped down.

Sensibly walked to work today!