Support Group 2

Comments

• Hi Susan, welcome to the forum!  Thanks for your details, which i've marked up now.  Judging by your estimate completion time, I've put you down as taking between 2:55 - 3:15 to reach mile 17; does that sound about right to you?  The only other thing I'll need to know is whether you have any special needs at all at mile 17?  That is, will you be dropping anything off at the expo for us to pick up?  If so, just let me know and i'll add that to the list too image

It is understandable that the nerves will start creeping in a bit now, and not always just for the first timers either!  I had a total meltdown the morning of the race and burst into tears telling my friend that I didn't think I could do it, and she bascially told me to get a grip. Hahahaha, she knows me too well!!! image  When I got to the start, however, the worries disappeared, and were replaced by excitement.  You can't help but feel the buzz standing next to thousands of other runners, and thinking about the next few hours to come.  I think the most important thing about the whole day is to enjoy it.  You've all worked really hard to get here, and deserve to bask in the glow of your efforts, and just enjoy taking part in one of the biggest races in the world.  The crowd support is second to none, and helps enormously.  I was just continuously amazed to have so many people cheer my name and really root for me, when they didn't know me from Adam!  So if you are nervous, that's okay - it is natural, but rest assured you'll feel great when you stand in the start pen with everyone else, and you'll all be raring to go.  Then we'll be there at mile 17 to encourage you onwards.  Then we'll all get pished in the pub at the end, hurrah!!!!!

• btw the internet isn't working at home; it went t*ts up yesterday imageimage  So i'll not be able to come on here over the weekend, which is a total bugger!  Hopefully Barley or Purple will be around to answer any questions etc, and of course you can always sneak a look at some of the other support threads to see what they are saying, but only so long as you don't jump ship and desert usimageimage  I should be able to get on here later though, so i'll check in then image
  • Hi

I think jelly babies and some encouragement will do me just fine!  Shall I drop some off at the stand at the expo?

• You can if you want to Susan, but we should have plenty of JBs to hand out image  We generally recommend that if folk want specific gels etc, then they drop them off, but JBs we should have lots of.  The encouragement comes free, and there will be plenty of that going round image
  • **** Update****

Just a s a reminder, I thought i'd post Barley's info. on what we'll provide at mile 17, and what (if anything) you'll need to drop off at the expo for us to collect & hand out to you on the day:

The supplies we usually give out on the course are:

- Specific items left by individuals which they wish to be passed to them at Mile 17 (see below).

- We also hand out lots of banana's, orranges, jelly babies, jaffa cakes, fun size chocolate bars, etc to all and sundry as they pass.  Some people leave general stuff at the expo which we collect, e.g. last year we had maybe 50 bags of jelly babies and half a dozen boxes (boxes of boxes) of Jaffa cakes.  We also buy banana's & oranges from Asda.

Items you will need to drop off at the expo (if required):

- particular gels, food, drinks, random things etc not covered in the list above.  If you leave a drink that needs to be mixed with water, we can do that, and have it mixed waiting for you.

• I will be posting further instructions and more details of the support area's location etc on Sunday so keep your eyes peeled image

• *puts potato peeler on standby*

Right folks, i'm offski, so i'll not be online until Monday again image  enjoy your last marathon free weekend, hee hee hee image

Ooh, I've had an exciting day btw.....I got to walk along the runway at Glasgow airport today to do some inspections seeing as there were only a few flights going out.  image  There is a silver lining to every volcanic cloud it would seem imageimageimage

Have a great weekend folks, see you Monday.  Well, chat Monday....see you next Sunday, woo hooooooo! image

Pea x

• Barley, Purple, and Lee - do you know who is making your group sign?  If so, please can you update the (correct) Stuff List on the main supporters thread.  Cheers
  • GRRRRROOOOUUUUPPPPP TWWWOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, just had to bump this up... image

• Hiya everyone.

Well I'm not the least bit nervous just very excitedimage

I still have no idea what to drop off for mile 17 but may give you a electrolyte tab that you can mix for me,as that would be fab!! 

I will be at the expo wed day but it seems noone else from this group will be so may only spot some of you on the day itself!image

Its my first marathon too and have heard some rather 'hu hum'  strange stories re the loos and the female urinals at the start!!!!!!!

I will be finding a parked car or bush as cant be waiting around and losing my stride for ages, its worse to get going again.If paula can do it so can I image

Ok off now, any tips would be wekcome please, from the obvious to the weird but helpful ones.

Jacky image

• I'm going to the expo on Wednesday!

• FAncy meeting to say a quick Hi?

We are dropping the kids off and driving so should be there around 11 ish, if you wish to say Hi.personal message me and we can swop mobile numbers or just arrange a place and time on here, or are you on Facebook?

image be good to meet you. 

• Hi Jackie

That sounds great!  I'll be there reasonably early too.  I'll PM you my mobile number and then we can txt and arrange to meet.  It would be great to say 'hi' and compare anxieties!

• Hi Jacky

I may have sent the message to myself! So if you don't hear from me, please will you message me on the forum and I'll find another way round it!  I'm not very good at this!

• Just a quicky....I´m stuck in Spain and cannot get a flight until Friday...volcanic ash dependent!!! So I may need to defer....not sure how to do that from Spain, but hey ho...

I think that makes in Sanmiguel o´clock!

• Dink Mo, if you need any help such as so
    eons ri ging the VLM or stuff PM me.
  • Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)
    Barley, Purple, and Lee - do you know who is making your group sign?  If so, please can you update the (correct) Stuff List on the main supporters thread.  Cheers
    Barley, Lee - Help! I'm crap at making anything. Happy to get some Helium ballons though ?
  • btw - I am getting verrry excited now image

Hope you guys are all enjoying the sun and relaxing image

• Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)
    Dink Mo, if you need any help such as so eons ri ging the VLM or stuff PM me.
    Jeez Barley, that must have been a stormin' party you were at last night, if you were still drunk this morning... image
  • Hi everyone,

I'm new to the London Marathon and to this forum, my details are:

Forum name:                              RunningBen
    Name:                                          Ben
    Race number                             42266
    Estimated time to mile 17         Not sure - somewhere between 2:15 - 2:30? Could be earlier or later???
    What you'll be wearing             Burgandyish Mencap vest with Ben on the front
    Any special needs*                   Will let you know ASAP!

Let me know if you need any more details.

Thank you! 

• *List Fairy sticks head around thread door*

I have sent Birder this way as he/she was looking to be rehomed.  Hope this is ok

*Backs out again*

• birderbirder ✭✭✭

Hello everyone in group 2. Its Lovely to be here.  image

I'll submit all my details tomorrow as I'm off to bed early tonite cos I'm going to watch black grouse in wales very early in the morning (very early!!). This taper thing means I can get out and do some birding.

Catch you all tomorrow.

• *pops head round thread door again*

Any more room for a littl'un?  Snail Lady is an orphan and needs a home.

*waits for answer*

• As Purple says - the more the merrier image
  • Cheers, I shall send him/her your way.

• D'OH!  Just realised I have been sooooo blonde.  Of course, she's a she coz she's Snail LADY.  The clue really is in the name image