Support Group 2

Comments

• Aye send them all here, we've got plenty of cheering to go round image

Internet is up, thankfully, and hence the fact i'm not in bed yet, opps!

Eh re the sign, the only problem is that i'm flying down on Saturday (well, hopefully!) and i'll only have a small bag, so i'm not sure how i'd get a sign down, without having to folk it all up. That said, if the airspace restrictions carry on, I might have to drive down instead. I guess i'll just have to see what's happening. Actually just thinking about it, i'm coming down on Saturday to go to my friend's wedding reception....but they are still in NZ. I hope they manage to get home to their own reception!!!! image
  • Hello group 2 and thank you for welcoming me and helping out on the day.

Don't be fooled by my user name - I'm Karen Galpin, not John Galpin (my husband) although he is also running it!

I believe the info you need is as follows:

Forum name: John Galpin 3
    Name (suggest you email this if unhappy to divulge via the forum): Karen Galpin
    Race number:29870
    Estimated time to mile 17: 2 hours 16 minutes i.e. 12 o'clock (hopefully!)
    What you'll be wearing: a purple 'Almost Athletes Cheltenham' vest with yellow piping and writing

Any special needs*: a bottle of flat, full sugar coke.

I will leave the coke at the RW stand at the expo - can someone on race day take off the lid and let it go flat for a couple of hours before I get there? Replace the lid if poss so that I can carry it ....

Please confirm this is OK and many thanks! ;o)

• John Galpin 3 wrote (see)
    Any special needs*: a bottle of flat, full sugar coke.

I will leave the coke at the RW stand at the expo - can someone on race day take off the lid and let it go flat for a couple of hours before I get there? Replace the lid if poss so that I can carry it ....

*LIst Fairy conjures up a top tip*

Drop a small sachet of sugar into the bottle and the CO2 will bubble out image

Might be more hygenic than leaving the bottle open for a couple of hours when it could get knocked over

• Thank you - I will do that! Hopefully it won't go off between Thursday when I drop it off and Sunday!
  • Sellotape the sugar sachet to the bottle and take to expo.  The supporter can then chuck the sugar in about 30 mins before you are due to arrive at mile 17 image

(Sorry to interfere.  I have this uncanny ability to order people's lives for them image)

• Excellent idea! I will do that and thanks for interfering ....

I have posted a profile pic so you can see what I look like but it hasn't been approved yet.

Bye for now,

Karen image

• birderbirder ✭✭✭

Hi to all the wonderful people in support group2

Forum name                 Birder

Real name                     Keith

Number                          31995

Time to mile 17              2hrs 5ish

I'll be wearing black vest, black shorts and sunglasses. I'll drop off my fave drink (not lager that's for after VLM imageimage) at the expo on friday. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Out very early this am to watch black grouse in north wales. They were fab. Then did a nice easy trail run around the forest. Can't believe it'll all be over this time next week!

• This is so exciting - can't believe we are only a week away image

Would the lovely suporters care for some double chocolate brownies - I feel like baking image

• Double chocolate brownies.............I'm almost tempted to defer my place and support instead if they're being offered Kittyimage

Just about finished a huge batch of flapjack that I made last Saturday,  may have to make some more before the weekend.

• Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

Location of Support Group*

* Please note these are older images, we are relocated to the other side of the road!  WE WILL BE ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE BEFORE THE ZEBRA CROSSING, which is immediately after the water station, not on the left as shown in the following images.

Its also worth mentioning that with 1000's of runners coming past for hours and hours its almost impossible for us to spot you.  You need to know where we will be and look out for us. 

The support groups will be lined up along the railing in number order, in the image below you will be coming from the right, you can see us just after the water station (Vittel banners).

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr165/blueprint_03/P1000085.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2022/2393339462_b34df5d118.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3224/2392507939_744bf4bdef.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2300/2392508205_2543eea8cb.jpg

Remember, we will be on the right hand side. 

• Running info you requested

Forum name: gigglenicky
    Name: Nicky Hayes
    Race number: 10015
    Estimated time to mile 17:  sometime between 2hrs 50 and 3hours I think
    What you'll be wearing: light blue Adidas cap, red london marathon top (hopefully with my name printed if all goes to plan at the expo), black 3/4 length tights and red and white trainers.
    Any special needs*: possibly a few jelly babies image

• Hi Nicky,

Great to have you in our support group image 

Hope all your preparation has gone well.  If you have any questions or need any help with information about VLM or last minute advice etc feel free to ask.

Good luck on Sunday.
  • Hi Guys

Here are my details

Forum name: Jon Charles
    Name: Jon
    Race number: 23327
    Estimated time to mile 17: about 2 hours 35 mins
    What you'll be wearing: Green vest NSPCC
    would like lots of cheers and a handful of jelly babies yum yum please image

thanks can't wait
  • Hi Jon, welcome to you to. 

We're looking forward to giving you all lots of cheers, ill be hoarse by the end of the day.

Everyone, dont forget that lots of us are meeting up at Chandos (pub) Trafalgar Sq for a few cheeky beers after.  Everyones welcome to come along.
  • Special Needs (handing items to RW staff at the Expo stand)

Just worth mentioning that if youre handing anything in at the Expo, make sure you clearly tell them that its for the Runners World mile 17 support area.

You also need to clearly label any items with your Forum Name, Support Group number and Race Number. 

Dont just stick a post-it note on a gel as the notes can come off, best put everything inside a tied clear plastic bag.

• Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)

Stuff we still need for Sunday is

1 large ball of string
    1 pair of scissors
    Horns, whistles, rattles, megaphone

If you can bring any of these to the Expo, please make a note on the main VLM Supporters Thread..  Ta!

• Wow lots of people showing up now! Hello all newcomers!

OK, so a bit more info. Although I really should be in bed by now. I'm in an organising kind of mood at the moment though!

Forum Name: Basil Brush

Race number: 34337

Estimated time to mile 17:  somewhere around 2:55 - 3:10, I reckon. But hopefully before 3:10 to allow stoppage time with you guys and the AUK lot at mile 18and still get insub-5 image If I'm feeling really good (and I had a dream last night that I was doing really well and feeling comfortable. Yep, it certainly was a dream...) I may even arrive before then. Fingers crossed very tightly.

What I'll be wearing: Snot-green AUK running vest with large purple AUK logo on the front and "Dr Cath" in black above it.

What I will require: perhaps a couple of JBs and some lovely hugs image

Night all image

• Morning folks, how is everyone doing?  I hope you all enjoyed your last weekend before the big day!!!

Well i'm slightly concerned that I'll not make it down this weekend image  I'm supposed to be going to a wedding reception on Saturday night, but the bride & groom are currently stuck in NZ (they got married abroad) and aren't sure they'll get back!  If flights are still off by the end of the week, I was thinking I could drive down, and come along anyway, but i'm slightly concerned about my job now (I work at the airport!!!!), so I don't want to incur any unnecessary expense (i.e. I might not be able to afford to drive down!).  I'll know more soon hopefully.  I REALLY don't want to miss this....

Are any of you lot planning on flying in?  Is it just Dina Mo that's stuck abroad at the moment?  This whole thing is pants!

• Calling all missing runners!!!!

We're still waiting to hear from the following:

Addick Gal
    Bikermouse
    Claire Marshall 9
    Jenni Fox (first marathon)
    Mike Halpin 2 (first marathon)
    Ruby77
    Sarah Lawrence 3
    snail lady
    Sunluvva

I've PM'd them all, but if anyone sees them lurking on other threads, can you give them a nudge in this direction?  Thanks!

• ARGGGGGG, I stupidly put 'Support group 3' on the e-mails, tho i did link to this thread!  D'OH!!!!!
  • that's because 3 is the best Pea.....................image
  • Oh no, Pea, fingers very tightly crossed that you can make it! My eyes may leak a little if you can't... image
  • I'm going to be dropping off a couple of gels and a bottle of drink on Thursday night. There seem to be a lot of fast runners in group 2 , I think I might still be at mile 10 when some of you will be whizzing past mile 17. all you speedy people - please don't eat all the jelly babies...
    my brother , running as carmen miranda, has now sent me photo of his hat - it has full scale pineapple and also a pink parrot on it so if it stays on his head and I stay with him we should be easy to spot.
  • way2slowway2slow ✭✭✭
    oooohh, kittenkat - which start you going from? could do with someone to pace me so i don't go tearing off at the start and blow up with 10 miles to go image
  • SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭

Hi lovely supporting people

Just saying sorry I didn't let you know before that I've deferred as am recovering from nasty op image.

keep up the good work folks - you all do a fantastic job image.

Can't come to support either as can't stand about for more than 5 mins but I'll be there next year instead by hook or by crook!

Dx

• I'm sorry if I should have given this info sooner:

Forum name: Addick Gal

Name: Mandy Connor

Race No: 25071

Est time to mile 17: running time about 3hrs 15 mins but this is my first marathon so I'm not sure how much to add on for crossing the start line - plus 30 mins?

I shall be wearing my red and green club vest "Sleaford Town Runners" (although for reasons I can't fathom more than one person has asked if I shall be dressed as a chicken...). 

I have no special needs - just looking for a bit of morale boosting.

Thanks very much to everyone who is supporting.

• birderbirder ✭✭✭

Hello everyone in group 2.

This thread is very quiet. Is everyone resting or carbo-loading? image

Did a few easy hills at lunch today, and some core and upper body exercises at gym this evening. Not running so much is very difficult.

Does anyone know what time people meet at Chandos?

• Resting here image I've been mainly eating fajhitas. Oh, and some gobstoppers. image

Don't know about Chandos. Maybe one of the more experienced LM-ers can answer this one?

• I'm here. image Just done the last club run of 5 miles and now eat and rest. (though may do 3 miles thurs)

Drinking loads of water and trying to be good.

very excited about sunday. Staying sat night in the city and looking forward to experiencing the atmosphere and buzz.

Good luck all and have a restful week. image